HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
White Van Scam
Posted by: Native/// ()
Date: June 09, 2008 07:51PM

anyone elso got sucked into this today. Buddy of mine called me this morning all excited how he got "$4000" speakers for $100. Some guys in a green van pulled up to him at Fair Oaks gas station and told him how they are overstocker(or some bull like that) and sold him a pair od DiVinci speakers for $100. I was just wondering if anyone elso came across those cons today?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White Van Scam
Posted by: oldman ()
Date: June 09, 2008 07:55PM

oldest trick

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:00PM

Native/// Wrote:
>>Some guys in a green van pulled up to him at Fair Oaks gas station

Used to happen alot when I lived over in PG county, always the same 2 redneck-looking guys. It happened to me once in FFX county, maybe like 6-7 years ago, in the parking lot of the old Gateway store in Fairfax. Who in their right fuckin mind would buy that crap??

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 09, 2008 09:57PM

LOL>.. Yeah a buddy of mine got scammed on the same deal. He came home all happy he got a steal on 4 speakers. These guys relieved him of $400 for some speakers that cost 20 bucks a piece. I had to burst his bubble, so I googled the name of the speakers and, what do you know, All the scam alert website pop up. Poor guy , he looked so dejected, too bad I couldn't stop laughing.

They approached me once at the Exxon in fair lakes. It is true they are very pushy.
I told them they already scammed a friend of mine, and to get lost. Even then, the two "Installers" wouldnt back off. I got in my car and left.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 09, 2008 10:18PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They approached me once at the Exxon in fair
> lakes. It is true they are very pushy.
> I told them they already scammed a friend of mine,
> and to get lost. Even then, the two "Installers"
> wouldnt back off. I got in my car and left.

another reason to be armed.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ? ()
Date: June 09, 2008 11:52PM

Native,

You sure do run in to quite a few predicaments in your day to day life. It seems you post stuff on here most other people would just ignore at least 3 or 4 times a week.

Do you do it just to get a response? Are you bored?

Date: June 10, 2008 12:29AM

It's better than school board shit or nimrod posts like you, so fuck off.

? Wrote:
> Native,
>
> You sure do run in to quite a few predicaments in
> your day to day life. It seems you post stuff on
> here most other people would just ignore at least
> 3 or 4 times a week.
>
> Do you do it just to get a response? Are you
> bored?

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: June 10, 2008 12:35AM

That happened to a friend and myself in Springfield, we were just sitting in traffic and the guy next to us rolls down his window and tries to sell speakers. I think the same shit happened to me in a parking lot in CA. Must be a common scam.

Posted by: joeasdf ()
Date: June 10, 2008 12:41AM

ya i seen it happen 8 years ago i belive to they used to say they were left alone or need a ride and want money for a taxi

Posted by: j ()
Date: June 10, 2008 02:51AM

its the white van speaker scam. its REALLY old. as in, i remember seeing these guys in pan am in the 80's old.

there is even a wiki about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

next thing you know your friend will be buying the free oil change coupons.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 10, 2008 07:46AM

lol I wonder if anyone who works in office building without a guard desk has this happen... every month or so we'd get a knock on the door for someone saying they were refinishing another suite in the building and there is leftover artwork and do we want to buy it real cheap because they don't want to load it back in the truck.

After two times I got smart... they would intimidate the girl in the front with that crap so I'd take over the conversation and tell them to stack it in the hall and we'll take what we want and the trash people can take the rest. They get mad and leave. After a few more times as soon as they started in with that pitch I'd just cut them off and tell them to leave before I call the police. That makes their day too.

Scams aplenty.

Posted by: Tbats ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:11AM

This racket has flourished off and on for over 25 yrs in the DC area. It's not always a van but a similar high pressure pitch is used every time--

"I work for for **** and we just did a show down at ***** and I have these speakers(could be other item) left over"

"The warehouse accidently put some extra inventory in my van this morning and I need a few $, my boss is an a-hole anyway"

These guys often get their wares from an import disttributor off NY Ave NE where the Chinese and Koreans get produce etc....

It's an old scam, sometimes they'll even insinuate the speakers are stolen to let you think you're getting a real "bargain"...

Either laugh in their face, punch them for trying you, or tell them you'll "meet up with them later, because right now you've got to go pick up your daughter from school but you'lll go to the ATM right after so WAIT RIGHT HERE FOR ME!"

Shameless scamming a-holes.............

Date: June 10, 2008 08:22AM

pgens Wrote:
>>>> someone saying they were refinishing another suite in the building and there is leftover artwork and do we want to buy it real cheap

Ha, that office/artwork scam used to happen all the time about 5 years ago when I worked in Tysons. It seriously would happen 2-3 times a month, and got to the point where our security officer called the police and had them removed.

Posted by: paul ()
Date: June 10, 2008 11:41AM

Yup - this is an old scam. I remember it from early 80s. Guys in a white van imply they have "hot" speakers they are selling cheap.

Malcolm X described a similar scam in his book. He would buy real cheap clothing and then sell it on street as if it was good stuff he stole.

Posted by: New Twist ()
Date: June 12, 2008 03:44PM

Ok..this is the second time in a week and a half that this has happened so I am pretty sure this falls under the same umbrella...

Two guys in a small burgendy pickup truck selling MEAT and SEAFOOD. They use the usual line..."Just made a delivery and we have left over stock" willing to let me purchase steaks for $3 a piece.

I don't even want to know where THIS meat is coming from.

Just sharing...

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:10PM

Did they offer you some cheap tomatoes also?

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:45PM

I had a guy try to do the same thing with suites. He told me he was from London and had a overstock of suites for a convention he went too. He even gave me a business card. I must admit they did look nice, but i could tell it was a scam from the start. He was also very pushy.

Don't let them push you around, you set the prices.. He wanted to sell me it for 500.00 bucks. I told him i would give him $50.00. He laughed, and said it was 1,000 doller suite, and he couldn't do it. So i told him to get loss. If you keep going lower then the price they offer. They will eventually give up.

Posted by: DeathByCop ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:53PM

paul Wrote:
> Yup - this is an old scam. I remember it from
> early 80s. Guys in a white van imply they have
> "hot" speakers they are selling cheap.
>
> Malcolm X described a similar scam in his book. He
> would buy real cheap clothing and then sell it on
> street as if it was good stuff he stole.

Which book, Paul? Are you talkin about The Autobiography Of Malcom X by Alex Haley? All this shit is either fake/ bootleg or stolen. I've heard that the speaker scam is an elaborate bootleg operation out of the Jersey/New York area.

Date: June 12, 2008 07:15PM

Do not buy any merchandise this way. It is usually counterfeit and in some instances stolen. If it is stolen, mere possession of the stolen goods will put you in violation of the law, even though you did not steal them yourself.

Also be aware of the two person scam where one guy walks up to you at a gas station and offers to sell you some obviously stolen goods such as watches or jewelry for very reduced prices and the other guy who was already at the gas station walks over and buys some right in front of you. The presence of the second guy is to create the illusion that the merchandise is both authentic and in hot demand in order to encourage you to buy some while the gettin' is good.

An easy "out" is to just say "thanks but I have no spare cash on me" or something to that affect.

Posted by: j ()
Date: June 12, 2008 07:38PM

i dont know if they are necessarily counterfeit, they just suck really bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers#White_van_products_with_websites

you would be going home with better speakers if they were stolen but either way, its never a smart move to buy anything off of someone who approaches you on the street. obviously. these kinds of scams are rampant around military bases because the scammers know exactly when everyone gets paid and there is going to be a high concentration of suckers with zero street smarts.

boristhebulletdodger Wrote:
> Do not buy any merchandise this way. It is usually
> counterfeit and in some instances stolen. If it is
> stolen, mere possession of the stolen goods will
> put you in violation of the law, even though you
> did not steal them yourself.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 12, 2008 08:47PM

Slightly off the topic, but what was up with those people stacking couches on the curb and sidewalk in front to the old Piza Hut and Lee Hway and Gallows Road? They were there two days this week and slowed down an already slow bottlenech at the intersection.

I cant imagine the police giving a vending permit for that location. And they were NOT in the parking lot - they were on the grass 5 feet or less from Gallows Road.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 12, 2008 08:58PM

yo yo yo iz jus the homeboy shoppin network trying to make some fast cash SON, ya HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tbats ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:11AM

Pizza Hut,Taco Bell and that funky auto body place on the other corner are to be levelled in the next few months to widen the intersection

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 13, 2008 01:17PM

Tbats Wrote:
> Pizza Hut,Taco Bell and that funky auto body place
> on the other corner are to be levelled in the next
> few months to widen the intersection

that "funky auto body place" needed to go in the 90s. Finally that area is getting cleaned up!!

Does anyone know when they plan on tearing down the multiplex?

Posted by: P. T. Barnum ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:43PM

Once, when I was young and naive, I almost got suckered into buying speakers. The original price was $100 and I talked him down to $30. I had no cash on me so I was going to an ATM, when it dawned on me that 70% off just isn't right.

After that I was working in a strip mall and these guy's would hang out for day's at a time (Good business?). After several days, I was going to a store when they approached, the passenger guy said "Hey Buddy" and I said "No thanks, not interested"

Then he got irate and yelled/cursed me the entire walk to the store I was going to.

I guess he didn't know I watched him do his shit all day long.

Posted by: Jo Momma ()
Date: June 13, 2008 10:31PM

Oldest shizzle in the book. That scam has been going on not only here, but in the US, for more than 15 years. I badged dim sumbitches years back, and it was aholes and elbows from there!

Those speakers aren't worth the boxes they come in!

Holla

Posted by: Fghbv ()
Date: May 05, 2015 03:45PM

Happened last week, parking lot of Tractor Supply in Manassas. Pulled up next to me asking if I wanted to buy some home theater speakers. I just drove off. Already have Klipsch RB-35's, much better than their junk.

Posted by: Those Gold Plates! ()
Date: May 05, 2015 03:52PM

Mormons can be ultra pushy. If they need to go to the temple, they need an admission ticket. To get that, they have to be current on their tithing.

So if they know that tithing interview is coming up, watch out.

Posted by: Huey ()
Date: May 05, 2015 05:21PM

This crap going around again? If you are so incredibly stupid that you think you are getting good speakers for practically nothing, then you get what you deserve. Sometimes the only way to learn a lesson is the hard way.

Posted by: Kingstowner ()
Date: May 05, 2015 10:17PM

I was in the Kingstowne shopping center the other day heading to my car. When two scummy redneck's in a green Chrysler minivan with Maryland plate stop and yell out the window trying to sell me "home theater systems".

I told them politely I was not interested and one of them got pretty aggressive towards me, starting insulting me etc. They finally drove off and then afterwards I called the cops.

Their license plate was an Maryland Tag-MB 1524 and they were driving a greenish Chrysler minivan.

Posted by: Mick ()
Date: May 06, 2015 09:10AM

Kingstowner Wrote:
> I was in the Kingstowne shopping center the other
> day heading to my car. When two scummy redneck's
> in a green Chrysler minivan with Maryland plate
> stop and yell out the window trying to sell me
> "home theater systems".
>
> I told them politely I was not interested and one
> of them got pretty aggressive towards me, starting
> insulting me etc. They finally drove off and then
> afterwards I called the cops.
>
> Their license plate was an Maryland Tag-MB 1524
> and they were driving a greenish Chrysler minivan.

I don't buy groceries in the Best Buy parking lot, and I don't buy speakers in the Safeway parking lot. Good move to call the cops, just not sure they can do anything worthwhile.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.