HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: Winnie ()
Date: August 02, 2005 02:04PM

Has anyone lived in C'ville as long as I have, when we had that old country-western club (like Bob's Country Bunker in Blues Brothers) called the Parters 2? I can remember my friend's dad was a county cop and was FOREVER busting up fights over there. It stuck around until I was in high school in the late 80s then it closed down and was delapitated for a while before the building was torn down. It was on Lee Highway right before Union Mill road.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 04, 2005 11:27AM

I remember Partners 2... Centrevilles country western counterpart to Sullys. Beer was always flowing, and if you had enough pitchers of it you might even go home with one of the "women" in there. (bad idea!)

Good place to go if you were *under age*.

Date: August 04, 2005 01:55PM

I believe that's why they closed down... serving minors.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: August 13, 2005 08:08PM

Wow....that brought back memories. I remember the sign out front...it used to be where the shell station is, but further back, right?

My ex-bf's dad was a FFX (Fair Oaks) Sgt for 30 yrs, he told me once that he used to bust fights at a place down 29, just past the rock quarry. It was that little dilapidated wood house-looking thing on the left as you are going to Manassas. They actually just tore it down a few months ago.

Date: August 15, 2005 09:12AM

That was the Bull Run Grill. That place was creepy, and there were always reports of huge drug busts going on there. It was so tiny, though, from the outside it looked no bigger than a small bedroom.

Date: August 24, 2005 08:56PM

Wow...I never knew the name of that place.

I have a question- do you know what that "Filmdex" place was? It looks like an old motel...I have tried to research it, but cant find anything -?-

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 25, 2005 08:44AM

Filmdex is a company (currently) working in the digital video world. The have moved to 14016 Sullyfield Circle in Chantilly.

The Filmdex building at 15500 Lee Highway (the place that looks like a hotel), was a processing lab from the days before digital. There are still some operations going on at the filmdex place. Could still be filmdex operations, or some other operation that just hasn't changed the sign.

Date: August 25, 2005 12:59PM

Thanks! I never knew that. So it never really was an old motel, pre-Filmdex?

I remember seeing a motel pic on norvapics.com, that looked EXACTLY like it...but i never knew if that was it or not.

Posted by: ReppinClifton ()
Date: February 08, 2006 07:38PM

That Filmdex company I heard was just a coverup for the CIA. I dont remember where I read it, but thats what I heard.
-Mike

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: February 08, 2006 09:46PM

Wouldn't be surprised. The NRO building in Chantilly was "the Honeywell Building" until Clinton declassified it.

Honeywell building with armed guards? Yeah right.

Posted by: WildBill ()
Date: January 10, 2007 04:13PM

All of you youngsters that remember Partners 2 probably have no rememberance of Hunters Lodge. Partners 2 and the Bull Run Grill were calm compared to the Lodge.

Date: January 14, 2007 06:10PM

I remember Bull Run Grill. Where was Hunters Lodge located?

Posted by: WildBill ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:29PM

Hunters Lodge was located at the intersection of West Ox Road and Route 29 before the time of all the ramps/flyovers of the Parkway and West Ox Road. I would say that the actual location was about where the Sports Authority is located and the Super 29 Mover Drive-In was in the Costco parking lot.

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: May 05, 2007 08:02AM

The Lodge was cool - go to a movie at the drive-in and see a fight and police raid for one low price.... cripes, that's around 20-25 years ago.

Posted by: Ernie ()
Date: October 03, 2007 05:13PM

I went to Partners 2 with my wife and father in law years ago. They always had a country buffet. I think across the street there was another place with an image of Elvis out front. I think Partners 2 caught fire.

Posted by: Tam20151 ()
Date: January 31, 2008 04:39PM

Not far from hunters lodge was the Pig-n-Chik. It was on Rt. 29 near the drive in movies. what a hole that place was. My dad used to drag us there in the 70's.

Posted by: K ()
Date: February 01, 2008 07:02AM

HUNTERS LODGE....I went there with a mixed crowd of blacks and whites and we had to drink in the parking lot.....LoL

Posted by: Diane ()
Date: February 01, 2008 05:51PM

Hunters Lodge used to be the place to go for country and western. It was a really neat place where Ricky Cooper's band used to play among other groups. All age groups enjoyed a night of music and dancing.

Posted by: Andy Reeder ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:41PM

I remember that Partners II was a relatively "new place" in town and I think owned by the same folks who owned Bachelors II (the disco) near Fairfax Triangle. The Green Dolphin (across the road from Toys-R-Us) was another infamous dive with live music. Actually, Hunters Lodge was an institution with Heavy Country, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan and others playing in its latter days. Early days included Pasty Cline, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, and other legends. Great place-- mowed it down to put up a parking lot.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:03PM

Keep this stuff coming, I love hearing about what NoVa was like before 1987.

Posted by: Speedo ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:55PM

Don't remember much about Partners 2, but remember a whole lot about Hunters Lodge.I played music there in the early 70's with the Midniters and the fabulous Stringdusters. It was a great place for jaming after hours on Friday and Saturday nite. Jammed with some of the best, Merle Haggards Strangers, Mel Tellis Statesiders, Buddy Charlton from the Ernis Tubbs band, and of course Danny Gatton. I played there for (6) wonderful years with some great musicians. Probably was the peak of my music career. Thanks for the memories

Re: Anyone remember Hunters Lodge?
Date: August 17, 2009 04:54PM

Looking for people who new about Hunters Lodge.

Posted by: Bo ()
Date: November 14, 2009 04:58PM

My father was a fairfax county cop who bounced at hunters lodge and told me of meeting several washington redskins there, back in the day (back in sonny jurgenson and billy kilmer's qb days), when I got old enough (70s) I thought it was cool to go there, I also had a friend who lived right across west ox rd. whose horse threw me into a barbed wire fence within sight of the lodge, also when I was a kid, pop would take my mom, brother and I to pig-n-chk on the "crab night" it was one of the old deals where they would brown paper the whole table...good times!

Re: Anyone remember Dixie Tea garden?
Posted by: Roy R ()
Date: January 18, 2010 12:38PM

around 1946 I started dating my future wife who lived on Route 123 south of Vienna, we would walk through the woods on a path to Route 29 and go to a dance at the Dixie Tea Garden. There were other dance halls along Route 29, like Hunter's Lodge, Social Circle, Dixie Tea Garden, Happy Hour and a Honky Tonk "Pine Lawn" does anyone (living) remember these?

Re: Anyone remember Dixie Tea garden?
Posted by: speedo ()
Date: January 28, 2010 05:01PM

I don't remember Dixie Tea Garden or Pine Lawn but remember the rest. As I previously mentioned, I used to play music at Hunters Lodge for about 6 years during the 70's.

Date: January 28, 2010 05:03PM

If you went to Hunter's Lodge in the 70's, you would have heard us playing music there. We were there about 6 years.

Hunters Lodge or Other Local Musuc Memorabelia
Posted by: Andrew H Reeder ()
Date: May 09, 2010 05:43AM

Hey Speedo, you must have know the owner of Hunters Lodge--didn't he play with the Stringdusters? How about.. Was that guys name in Heavy Country? Mike Taylor? Mike Parker? He was a friend of John (Doc) Sherman.

Anyway, I am looking for postcards or preferably posters or fliers for No. Virginia bars and concert venues like Hunters Lodge. If anyone has any or can put me in touch with someone who does (or members of Heavy Country)--email me at cavecon@earthlink,net

My only story about Partners II took place in the late 1970s. Two buddies and I were racing our motorcycles to get to Partners II before they stopped serving drinks (guess what? We were already three sheets to the wind) We cut across the parking lot and jumped the little retaining wall and came skidding to a halt right in front of the door where the manager was standing smoking a cigarette, He wasn’t impressed. We got our drink and then got thrown out for being too intoxicated, We drove down the road. More mayhem followed but luckily everyone lived through the experience.

I am a collector, not a seller. Just in it for the fun. Thanks. -Andrew-

Posted by: Frank Sellers ()
Date: June 02, 2010 02:38PM

Anyone know where the Admiral Grill was in Baileys Crossroads? Another of the old places?
_Frank_

Posted by: Max ()
Date: June 12, 2010 03:04PM

Hey now, I went to Hunters Lodge many times. I can tell you that the Stringdusters were amazingly-talented, world-class musicians with a sound all their own. When I frequented the Lodge in the early 70s, there were usually two bands playing: The Stringdusters and another band whose name I can not recall at the moment. They played alternately, thereby providing continuous music to the crowd, while affording each other some well-deserved breaks. The dancing and the music were absolutely great. Things did get a little out of hand at times. Occasionally, the bouncers had to deal with individuals who had simply had too much. They did so by throwing the person in question out the door. I mean literally "throwing" them out - they would launch the person right through a side door emergency exit; the person would leave the place airborne. Then things would usually calm down and everyone would get back into the music. Great times!

Posted by: Gantt Kushner ()
Date: June 24, 2010 01:49PM

I used to play in the band at Hunter's Lodge. First as guitar player for The Virginia Renegades then as a member of The Stringdusters. Also play w/ The Virginia Renegades at Partners Two.

Gantt

Max Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey now, I went to Hunters Lodge many times. I
> can tell you that the Stringdusters were
> amazingly-talented, world-class musicians with a
> sound all their own. When I frequented the Lodge
> in the early 70s, there were usually two bands
> playing: The Stringdusters and another band whose
> name I can not recall at the moment. They played
> alternately, thereby providing continuous music to
> the crowd, while affording each other some
> well-deserved breaks. The dancing and the music
> were absolutely great. Things did get a little
> out of hand at times. Occasionally, the bouncers
> had to deal with individuals who had simply had
> too much. They did so by throwing the person in
> question out the door. I mean literally
> "throwing" them out - they would launch the person
> right through a side door emergency exit; the
> person would leave the place airborne. Then
> things would usually calm down and everyone would
> get back into the music. Great times!

Date: July 14, 2010 04:54PM

For all you that have questions about Hunters Lodge. The owner of the establishment was Roy Justice(lead fiddler of the Justice brothers) who had the band The Stringdusters. The second band that was there for 6 years was The Midniters. Hunters Lodge had the best county music on the east coast for many years.

Date: July 16, 2010 03:31PM

For the guy who wanted to know where the Admiral Grill was in Bailey's Cross Roads. It was located just west of the intersection of route 7 & columbia pike. Directly across from the old shopping center and the left hand side of Columbia Pike. I played music there also with George Gorhom.

Posted by: Wagonmaster ()
Date: July 18, 2010 02:52PM

I remember Hunters Lodge, Partners 2 and Bull Run Grill. Bull Run Grill was called Eulls (sp?) Grill in the early '70s. Bull Run Grill was a very rough bar! I have heard of the Social Circle but thought it was what Hunters Lodge was called in an earlier time. My wife and I saw Hank Williams Jr at Hunters Lodge in the late '70s or early 80's.
Does any one have a photograph of Hunters Lodge or Partners 2 that they could email to me?
Does any one remember the stone quarry on Rt 50 at the Loudon Co line that had the tunnel under Rt50 connecting the two quarry pits?
At one time there was a "Virginia City" next to Partners 2. A friend of mine was the marshall there for a while.
I left N. Va in 1995 for North Carolina.

Date: July 19, 2010 04:20PM

Hey Wagonmaster,

A few corrections for you on Social Circle and Virginia City. Social Circle was not once Hunters Lodge. Social Circle was located about a mile or two on the left hand side of 29/211 past Hunters Lodge. Virginia City was not next to Partners 2, but next to Hunters Lodge. I too am interested in finding some pictures of Hunters Lodge. Post a message here for me if you have some or know where I can obtain them with a way of reaching you.

Thanks

Posted by: kewaywi ()
Date: July 19, 2010 05:56PM

Hey Speedo, I'd like to hear more about your memories of these places. I started a blog to chronicle this era in NOVA. Send me an email: kewaywi at gmail.com

Date: July 19, 2010 05:59PM

Admiral Grill was located on the present site of Radley Acura in Bailey's Crossroads.

Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: wagonmaster ()
Date: July 20, 2010 09:15PM

Speedo,
Sorry for the confusion! It has been about 15 years sence I left that area. The exact locations get confused with age. Partners 2 was near Willow Spring Towing and that is where I saw Hank Jr.
When did they tear down Partners 2 and Hunters Lodge. I use to eat dinner at Hunters Lodge when I was working. If I remember correctly It was run by a family, mom, dad and two daughters. All played in the band.
I have checked with everyone I know in the area and no one has any pictures. I have one of Bull Run Gril, taken at night.

Wagonmaster1544@hotmail.com

Posted by: PICS! ()
Date: July 21, 2010 11:51AM

Wow, some serious nostalgia in this thread. Does anyone have pictures of these old places? I'd love to trigger some additional memories. Thanks.

Posted by: wagonmaster1544 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:01PM

Speedo,
Sorry for the confusion! It has been about 15 years sence I left that area. The exact locations get confused with age. Partners 2 was near Willow Spring Towing and that is where I saw Hank Jr.
When did they tear down Partners 2 and Hunters Lodge. I use to eat dinner at Hunters Lodge when I was working. If I remember correctly It was run by a family, mom, dad and two daughters. All played in the band.
I have checked with everyone I know in the area and no one has any pictures. I have one of Bull Run Gril, taken at night.

Wagonmaster1544@hotmail.com

Date: July 23, 2010 03:51PM

Hi Wagonmaster1544,

After some serious thinking on these topics, If my memory is correct, I think Partners 2 used to be Social Circle. The same building is what I remember. I was just a kid when my parents use to go there.

Posted by: Lurker02 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:47PM

The lineage of that club was, I recall, as follows: Social Circle -> Partners 2 - > Club Fairfax. Or maybe it was the other way around for the last two names.

Remember Hunters Lodge well. After hours jams the best.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:15PM

Hi Lurker02,

Your are right on target. I think Club Fairfax came after Partners 2, but I'm not sure. If you were at Hunters Lodge after hours for the jam, then you saw me playing with the Stringdusters and The Midniters for about 6 years.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:27PM

I too picked quite a bit at those places, during working hours and after hours as well. There were a number of similar places in the area that I worked at as well.

Does anyone out there ever hear from Roy and Paul? What about Arnold Hobbs? Pam Hobbs?

Those were the days.

There a youtube video of Paul, posted by his niece.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:35PM

Above, someone asked about Heavy Country. The HC I knew was fronted by Joey and Jimmy Martin, later just Joey Martin, and a revolving door of other pickers including a drummer named Chas [Charles] who had a locally well known musician father who's name I can't quite recall. Sorry.

Date: July 25, 2010 05:21PM

Hi Lurker02,

To answer your question about Roy and Paul, It is my understanding from Rudy Gabraletto that Roy died about (3) years ago and his wife Ruth just after that. Another musician friend of mine told me that Paul had died this past spring. God bless both of them for they were great Musicians.

Posted by: Hi Lurker02 again ()
Date: July 25, 2010 05:24PM

Just saw your message about Paul being on Youtube. Thanks alot I'll check it out.

Date: July 25, 2010 08:45PM

I'm sorry to learn that Roy and Paul are no longer with us. Everyone talks about the fun loving nature of those guys but what I remember most about them is an unswerving commitment to the art that was their music. That's what I learned from them. That and how cool shuffles and western swing are.

On youtube, enter the search terms of Paul and Justice and you'll see that video I allude to.

Roy Self died several years ago. I learned a lot about the music from him too.

You refer to Rudy, the steel player? I worked a job with him about 12 years or so ago; Haven't seem him since.

This thread brings back a ton of memories for me.

Date: July 29, 2010 08:35PM

When I saw that the title of this thread was Partners 2, I'd hoped that someone would have some information on Arnold Hobbs and Pam Hobbs. Arnold owned Partners II as far as I know, at least he was the managing partner. He led, sang occasionally, and played guitar in the long time house band, The Hobbs Sisters, who were his daughters. They also featured a bass player, Bob Geoff, Jr. [Sp.] His name turns up from time to time as still, as a bluegrass sideman. Later, Pam Hobbs had a band witout Arnold and without her sister. Does anyone know anything about what happend to Arnold, or to Pam Hobbs? Still in the area? Still performing somewhere?

Date: July 30, 2010 08:27PM

I'd love to publish any pictures on my blog:

ourredneckpast.blogspot.com

Date: July 31, 2010 06:12PM

OFF TOPIC: kewaywi () I checked your blog. Quite cool. I hope you continue to populate it with that stuff. I too read Capitol Rock. And yes, I also felt that Mr. Opsasnick neglected Virginia. But I was there -- from Virginia, working in VA, DC and PG County -- and Virginia had some clubs and honky tonks, our state had nothing on the scale of say, Waldorf -- being the last place to have its slot machines phased out gave Warldorf, in the next county south, a great leg up on night life. And of course Link Wray, who at one time was the guitar god of the world operated

Did you read Mr. Opasnick's book on Jim Morrison [Doors] misspent youth in Alexandria VA?

Date: August 07, 2010 04:02PM

Hi Folks,

I have a retraction to make from a comment I made earlier. I was told by another musician that Paul Justice had past away this year. I have learned from his younger brother Tony Justice that is not the case. Paul is alive but has altimers decease.

Sorry!!!!

Posted by: Cal Newman ()
Date: October 08, 2010 08:25PM

I played from 1972 to 1979 with Stringdusters. Am in touch with Paul & Tony Justice. Also Rudy Gabriletto and Flip Bacher. Does anyone know what happened to Jack Ledbetter? Would love to hear from anyone connected to the Lodge from that time period. Wonderful memories! Cal Newman

Date: October 09, 2010 04:06PM

Hi Cal,

Nice to see that you are still around. I too played at Hunters Lodge during that time. I was the drummer for the Midniters, a band I was with for thirteen years. I talk to Tony and Rudy quite often, but nobody has heard from Jack Ledbetter. JIM

Posted by: FP ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:50AM

Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane...
I used to go to Hunters Lodge every weekend. Hit Partners 2 many times too. Oh great times. Glad to see others have such fond memories of the place too. I was hanging out there in the late 70's, early 80's. I remember Rick Cooper singing like he thought he was Elvis! I remember being one of the only girls with a big old 4X4 in the parking lot. And all the guys from Finley Paving and the quarry hanging out there. LOL!

Pam Hobbs was my next door neighbor growing up in Fairfax City. My dad was good friends with Bob Goff. And my cousin plays with the group Phoenix so I spent a lot of time at Bluegrass festivals and other music events with all of them.

Sure can't have good fun like Hunter's Lodge and Partners 2 any more!

Date: October 17, 2010 11:43AM

I've not spoken with Rick Cooper in many years. Anyone been in touch with him? The last I heard from Rick he was selling cars in Manassas. That's been a while. I worked with Rick from time to time in the joints mentioned here.

And yes, those were the days, my friend.

Posted by: Ed Stapanon ()
Date: October 21, 2010 08:17AM

I played at Partners II with Hobbs & Partners for a few years in the early 80s playing bass fiddle. John Paganoni was on mandolin, Keith Fairfax on banjo. It was a lot of fun and seeing all the top BG groups of the time was great, Bill Harrell & the Virginians, Ralph Stanley, Larry Sparks, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, etc. The food there was excellent. I remember that Pam was in Nashville at the time trying to break into C&W music. I also played at Partners II with Jimmy Arnold, Wayne Yates and Dave Auldridge. That was great fun playing with musicians of that caliber. Fond memories of Partners II. God bless Arnold.

Posted by: TinaM ()
Date: October 26, 2010 10:21PM

Partners II was the one owned by The Hobbs, Dad and Becky Hobbs played in the blue grass band. Pam Hobbs played in the country band. It was a lot of fun!

Posted by: fp ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:42PM

Funny, I bought a car from him when he was at Koon's in Manassas. I ran into him a few years after that. But haven't seen or heard anything about him in a long time.

Posted by: fp ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:49PM

http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

Check out this link for some good historical info on Hunter's Lodge.

Date: November 10, 2010 04:26PM

Hi fp, Thanks so much for the link on Hunter's Lodge. Your picture of the lodge is the first Ive been able to see. Can't seem to find them. If you have any more I would love to have them.

Date: November 16, 2010 08:23AM

I'm glad you guys like my blog. I have some more local history articles that I'm working on so check back again. I'm always glad to hear from people with memories about Hunters Lodge and I'm slowly compiling it as I get it.

kewaywi at gmail.com

Posted by: Bob Taylor ()
Date: November 17, 2010 10:58PM

Re:HUNTERS LODGE -- the interest & inquiries have prompted me to submit the following: I resurrected HUNTERS LODGE in 1962 after leasing the property from the late (Mrs.Faircloth). I settled on the Band name "STRINGDUSTERS" with the aid of my original guitarist (the late Stuart Lee Brooks) - (I was owner - leader & Drummer). I sold out approx. June 1966 [to my good freind, the late Roy Justice] and went to Nashville as a member of Dottie West's first band ----
There is so much to tell ------
P.S. there was no rough stuff when I operated the Lodge as I had an off duty Fairfax Deputy every night we were open to make sure everything was peaceful at the finest Country Western-Swing Dance Club east of the Mississippi !!!

Posted by: Lurker01 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 05:25PM

So nice to see you post, Mr. Taylor. I'll bet that there is so much to tell. Were Roy and Paul in your band when you left?

Date: November 19, 2010 10:43AM

Reply to "Lurker 2" 11/18 - re:HUNTERS LODGE - If memory serves me correct Roy & Paul were hired in 1963 - They followed "Chubby Wise" [of Grand Ole Opry fame] who was the sixth Stringduster - Roy & Paul were 6 & 7. I had known Paul from a short stint I had with Jimmy Case and The Cheeroke Band.

Date: November 19, 2010 07:38PM

Thanks. Can you post a list of the other Stringdusters of your era?

Date: November 19, 2010 07:41PM

Forgot to say: I know I've come across the name Stu Brooks -- your guitar player that you mentioned above. I can't quite place the name though. Is this the fellow who was a sometimes promoter and an ad salesman or something for [the late, lamented] BigK radio?

Date: November 24, 2010 09:34PM

Lurker01 - 11/19 - reply - Stu Brooks was affilliated with BigK at one time. I'm looking at 2 different pictures of band -- oldest 1st, BOB TAYLOR [drums] -- DALE DAVIDSON [rhythm guitar] -- SONNY GARRISH [steele guitar] -- STU BROOKS [lead guitar] -- CARL SMITH [bass] -- ROY JUSTICE [fiddle] -- PAUL JUSTICE [fiddle].

Photo #2: Two changes from previous: ROY SELF [rhythm] -- JACK LEDBETTER [lead guitar]

Thank you for the Lodge memories
Date: November 27, 2010 07:48AM

Thank you for posting the names. I wasn't aware that Sonny Garrish worked at the Lodge. Also, somehow I recall Roy Self playing bass. I don't recall if I had known he was also a guitar player at the Logde. I'm sure you've many great stories to tell. I'm visualizing those pictures you allude to -- of circa 45 years ago.

Great fun; great times; great swing and great shuffles. Indeed, an era we'll not see again. As I'm mentioned above, it's too easy to recall only the fun. The Lodge fostered a deep and abiding commitment to the art that was the music performed there, thus attracting serious committed musicians and fans of the genre. Again -- thanks.

Re: Lodge memories
Date: November 27, 2010 10:17PM

To comment about Roy Self - He was also a very good bass player and vocalist....

Date: December 21, 2010 04:35PM

Hi Folks, On one of my recent trips to Fairfax County for a dentist appointment, I had some free time to spend so I drove to the intersection of 29 & 211 and West Ox road where Hunters Lodge use to be. I took pictures of the intersection and where the Lodge would have been and theres a creek running right down through where the property was which is behind Sports Authority.Boy how times have changed the landscape. I really miss those days and will be in my memory for ever.

Date: December 23, 2010 06:11AM

@ speedo -- how right you are. And if you'd driven just down the road southbound a bit, you'd have come upon the site of Partners II on your left [or club Fairfax or Social Circle, depending upon your era] and perhaps have caught more vibes of an era that has passed. Discussing this issurely fun.

Posted by: Cornbread ()
Date: December 27, 2010 08:12PM

Before Club Fairfax & Partners 2 it was called, Social Circle also called "Suicide Circle" by many that knew the plase as a rough Dance hall/Bar hangout. A well known Pagan's biker hangout in the 60's and 70's This place made Hunters Lodge look tame,The Lodge was owned by the Faircloth's and later closed down when Tommy and Doris Sanders ran the Lodge.

Posted by: tommy lee brooks ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:21PM

Speedo - I was trying to place you in my memory, as I'm sure we have run into each other. You must have taken Bob Taylor's place in the Stringdusters. I'm not sure when the personnel started changing. When my brother Stu was playing there, it was Bob, on drums, Roy and Paul, Carl Smith on bass, and Sonny Garrish on steel. Del Davidson was fronting at the time. That was when the bandstand was at the end of the building towards Fairfax Circle. For a long time while Stu was there, I was traveling in the midwest. When I came back, I replaced Danny on the cruise ship to Marshall Hall ( only because he was leaving ). That was with Ron MacDonal & Dick Heintze. Later I was working with Pam and Jimmy Carroll at Partners. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if they land on a live braincell, I'll be glad to answer.....

T Lee Brooks

Pam and Later Bands
Date: January 28, 2011 09:22AM

Lurker 2 - I was in a band with Pam, Jimmy Carroll, and a drummer named Dennis Hash, with 2 different keyboard players..We played Partnes and played out a few times. I have a sorta picture of that group, but don't know about anyone else in the group now....

t lee

Date: January 28, 2011 09:29AM

Bob- Just stopped by to say howdy after all these years....

t lee brooks

Chas (drummer) and family
Date: January 28, 2011 10:37AM

Lurker - Chas's last name was Carroll. His father was Marvin Carroll, who played Hawiian steel (country style) with Jimmy Dean. Chas also has a brother, Jimmy, who is (was) a good bass player and great singer. Don't know anymore about them, as I haven't seen them in years.

Date: January 29, 2011 07:02AM

TLB-you filled in some gaps in my memory. Like you, I'm trying to place you and speedo bid I can't quite do it. Your posts made me recall some names I'd not thought of in a very long time. Are in the NoVa area and still performing?

to Lurker 01
Date: January 29, 2011 04:07PM

Lurk - I haven't been in the area for about 20 years....spent 10 years in Florida, came back, worked with Liz Myers and the Midnight Flyers for a while, Billy Joe Shaver, Heavy Country w/Big Al, then back south to Atlanta and surrounding areas....am still close to Augusta for about 10 years now. Have some relatives there, but I doubt if I make it up anytime soon....What's your name ? If you want, send it to my e-mail, if you don't want to broadcast oit,, maybe we can clear both memories....lol....

tleebrooks@att.net

Date: January 30, 2011 04:50PM

To Lurker01, If you are trying to figure out where I fit in/ in all of this, I was the drummer for The Midniters and sometimes for the Stringdusters from around 1967 through 1975 at Hunters Lodge. I perferr not to mention my name but my initials are JK.

Take care

Posted by: KrisCox ()
Date: February 02, 2011 11:59AM

Wow what memories! I used to go to Partners 2 all the time back in the late 70's and early 80's to listen to Heavy Country. Joey Martin was my boss at that time's cousin I think so that's how I started going there. Always had a blast there...I was young...didn't know it was considered a redneck bar, hell I didn't even know what the term "redneck" was! But it was a fun time and a great band. Mike Melchoine (sp?) on the steel guitar dated my sister for a few years. He was a great guy. Sad to think the place is no longer there but not surprised. It was pretty run down back then!

Date: February 02, 2011 04:28PM

I guess you all saw Bud Charlton's obituary in the papers today. I don't know what age I'd have guessed for him; he was 72. I'd not seen him in perhaps 25 or 30 years.

Date: February 15, 2011 09:15PM

tleebrooks - was happy to see another come on that was in the loop back when --
I'm in the process of moving at present but will send you an
E-mail in the not to distant future - kindest regards - bob t from hunters

Date: March 20, 2011 04:31PM

In case you didn't get the notification, a benefit for Buddy Charlton is going to be held at the Vienna Moose Lodge next Saturday the 26th.

Maybe I'll see you there

Posted by: mct ()
Date: April 09, 2011 12:17PM

Speedo,
Please drop me an e-mail. I'm doing some research and would like to ask you about Hunter's Lodge.
Cheers,
Mark

Date: April 11, 2011 05:26PM

Hi Mark,

Would love to email you but, don't have your email address.

speedo

Re: Chas (drummer) and family
Posted by: noname ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:03AM

Charlie Carroll (Chas) passed away quite a few years ago. Jimmy is still in Virginia, playing music here and there.

Re: Chas (drummer) and family
Date: May 28, 2011 05:20PM

It is always saddens a bit to learn of absent friends.

Posted by: Cindy Hash ()
Date: June 02, 2011 05:27PM

Hunters Lodge - Last band to play there was Ricky Cooper and the Third Shift, Ricky Cooper lead vocals, Brinson Reed, incredible lead guitar and Scotty Beisliner (sp?), bass with Eddie Dillanger on drums.I think the other band was Wichita Falls with Mike Wapler????

It's good to know you're still out there Tommy Lee. I drive past your old flames farm on Casanova Rd and wonder what became of you.

Good times for many at these old country music clubs.So many great musicians came through and sat in and played...

Posted by: Bill G. ()
Date: June 06, 2011 11:46PM

Hunters lodge brings back a lot of goodmemories. The Justice Brothers also played there. I think they also owned it. They were awesome playing the twin fiddles, especially "The Maiden's Prayer".

Date: June 08, 2011 04:52PM

Hi Bill G,

You are right on target with your memories of Hunters Lodge. The Justice Brothers were in my opion, the greatest two fiddle players on the East Coast. The oldest Roy Justice was the owner of the establishment. Roy passed away a few years ago. He was 80 years old. Paul Justice lives in California and it is my understanding he has alhiemers dicease.

Till next time

Posted by: jf ()
Date: September 06, 2011 06:42PM

I remember the Hunter's Lodge. It was called the Social Circle many years ago; my parents met there.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: September 08, 2011 10:14PM

Wow!!Partners 2 sure brings back memories-good memories. My sister, some friends, and I used to go quite often in the early 1980's. We knew about Bull Run Grill and Hunter's Lodge but never went to those places. We enjoyed going on Friday nights because we liked listening to Pam Hobbs. If I remember correctly I think they played bluegrass music on Saturday nights. Does anyone remember signs posted on various places of the the exterior of the building that stated, "please enter at your own risk. Not responsible for life or limb." ?? My sister and I were out on a double date one night and the guys asked us where we wanted to go. We told them Partners 2. When we pulled into the parking lot, these signs were the first thing they noticed. Needless to say, they did not want to go in even though we tried to convince them that it was O.K. To be quite honest, there were a few incidences in the parking lot at closing times but I never thought Partner's had any more issues than most drinking establishments. Infact, there were many regulars there who we began to hang out/dance with and I felt that it was nicer than the snobbery at the more upscale clubs. However, my father-in-law is a retired Fairfax county police officer and he told me that at one time it was a very rough place but that management/owners sort of cleaned up its act over the years. I do remember the police being proactive and showing up and hanging out at the entrance ocassionally so I am sure this helped also. Does anyone remember Big K Radio??? I did some work for them at about the same time so I knew Roy Self. I am soooooo sorry to hear about his passing. Sory to have written a book here but I sort of came upon this site by accident and so many memories started coming to mind.

Date: September 09, 2011 04:48PM

Hi Cheryl, welcome aboard. Always glad to hear from people that remembers these night clubs. I for one remember all of them on the strip, but mostly Hunters Lodge where I played music there for about 6 years. I too remember the off duty police that would work at Hunters Lodge for Roy Justice. They kept the place in some kind of order most of the time. I also miss Roy Self as he was a good friend.

Keep it coming folks!!!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: September 10, 2011 08:20AM

Thanks Speedo. We always talked about checking out Hunter's Lodge and wanted to but never did for whatever reason. I moved away from Fairfax and I would come home to visit my parents. One time, several years later, I decided to just go for a drive and I couldn't believe that the building was gone. Centerville looks so different now. Thanks for this site and bringing back so many memories.

Date: September 17, 2011 05:46PM

Hi Cheryl, Seems that you and I are the only active people interested in this site now. I quess most people are burnt out with this. I too can't believe that the county or the state aloud the new property owners to level the old Hunters Lodge building. It was a historic site and should have been preserved, but you know the old saying, here today, gone tomorrow.

Date: September 18, 2011 05:45PM

You're not the only two. I check from time to time to see if anyone else from that long ago [or not so long ago] era has resurfaced here. There are more names I''d like to see show up here. LOL

Date: September 20, 2011 04:01PM

Hi Lurker01, Glad to see you are still around. Maybe some others will show up and keep this site going with more memories of Hunters Lodge.

Posted by: greeneld ()
Date: September 21, 2011 10:05AM

My husband and I had our first date (blind date) at Hunter's Lodge. Does anyone have any pictures of it? We have been married 30 years next month.

Date: September 21, 2011 04:39PM

Hi greeneld, There was a blog posted by fp back in November of 2010 with infor and a couple of pictures of Hunters Lodge. Other than that I have not run across any other pictures. You can go into:

http://ourredneckpast.blogs.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

or you can just simply insert Hunter's Lodge on the Internet search and the website is either on the 1st page or second.

Good luck

Posted by: FDO ()
Date: September 23, 2011 05:55PM

I used to be a regular at Partners II in the 80's. Pam Hobbs had an incredible voice & I loved Jimmy Carroll's voice as well. I actually went to Chas Carroll's wedding when he married a waitress that used to work there. A lot of good memories from that place.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.