HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: Lurker01 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:46PM

FDO - thank you. I'm smiling. It's so nice to read antecdotes and remember absent friends. Although I'd not seen him in many many years, I wasn't aware that Chas was no longer with us until I read it here in this thread.

A recent posting above reminded me of some others I've not heard from or heard of in a long long time, and I wonder if anyone has any information on them. Of course there've been several mentions of Ricky Cooper, but no one seems to where his is now. A recent post mentioned Eddie Dillinger, a drummer who worked with Rick, Pam Hobbs, and many others. Eddie's father, Tommy Dillinger -- a guitar and bass player -- also worked with Rick, Pam, and many many others from long long ago. Does anyone know anything of any of these guys now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: speedo ()
Date: October 01, 2011 01:22PM

Does anyone remember Hunters Lodge when it was a bottle club or a supper club as the state of Virginia put it? It was BYOB and you would buy the set ups and food there at the Lodge. They had great Bar B Que as I recall and the admission was resumable. Then the state of Virginia decided they wanted all restaurants and establishments to be licensed to sell Beer. The place seemed to change somewhat after that. I can still remember the inside layout of the Lodge. As you would walk in the front door, Roy Justice's office was on the right, the coat room was on the left, admission booth on the left, food counter on the back left, dance floor in the middle, band stand to the left of the dance floor and restrooms in back on left of the rear wing. The lodge on a good night could seat about 300 people. Oh, and the band room and recording studio was all the way back at the end of the dance floor to the right.Would love to see some pictures of the Lodge if any one knows where to find them.

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: October 01, 2011 06:29PM

I seem to remember that the old local public tv station WNVT/WNVC channel 53/56 use to show on Saturday nights some programming filmed at Hunter's Lodge. Nowadays WNVC/WNVT is all foreign programming. I was trying to remember what specific channel showed the program from Hunter's Lodge program. See if WNVC/WNVT might have some of the shows in their archives

Posted by: retrievermom ()
Date: October 02, 2011 09:19PM

All these memories are great but what about Janet's PLace?

Date: October 19, 2011 03:03PM

Here's a new question. Anyone remember Colvin Run Dance Hall in Great Falls, Virginia? People use to go there in the 30's 40's and 50's. My parents use to take me there with them when they couldn,t find a baby sitter for me. It was my first introduction to a real live drummer and band. I was probably 9 or 10 then. Colvin Run Dance Hall is a restored historic schoolhouse with oak ballroom floor. It has been run continuously by the members of the Colvin Run Citizens Association for over 75 years.

Posted by: dave ()
Date: November 10, 2011 07:01PM

Filmdex used to be a business that transferred bank records to microfiche. Now that everything is computerized, no more need for microfiche

Posted by: Melisa ()
Date: January 07, 2012 08:04PM

Just wanted to let you know that my uncle, Paul Justice, passed away yesterday in Newport Beach, California. It is a terrible loss and he will be missed by so many... but he is no longer suffering. His ashes are being flown back to Fort Payne, Alabama...his hometown. He will be buried next to his wife, and his mom and dad. I can let you know the arrangements if interested. Also, FYI, there is a video of Paul posted on You Tube. It is so funny. It is so fascinating to read about Roy and Paul. I just always knew them as my crazy fiddle playin' uncles...I never realized how very talented they were and how they are remembered by others. RIP Paul Justice.

Posted by: Speedo ()
Date: January 08, 2012 04:57PM

Hi Melisa, Just read your message about Paul Justice. It is indeed sad news.I new he was sick from talking to Tony Justice, but didn't know he was that bad. God rest his soul. Paul and Roy were the two best fiddle players I ever heard when they were with the Stringdusters. I was the drummer for the Midniters and we played there with the Stringdusters for 6 years. It was the peak of my career. I will never forget either one.

God bless

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: January 08, 2012 06:38PM

REading all of these posts, I wish I had taken pictures of Partner's, Hunter's LOndge, etc. My husband and I went back to Fairfax over Christmas to visit family and we couldn't remember where Partners and Hunters were. We knew the general area but couldn't actually pinpoint the exact locations. I can't believe how much that area has changed. Thirty years ago, it was still so rural. Speedo, I don't remember Colven Run Dance Hall but I asked my father if he ever heard of it and he and my mom went there one time in the 50's when they were first married and moved to the Northern Va. ARea. Someone mentioned Janet's Place. Where was it?

Date: January 09, 2012 06:23PM

Melisa, I'm saddened, and I'm sorry for your loss. I learned so much from Paul, and from Roy. The community of musicians they created here is something we'll never see again. Thank you for your post.

Date: January 14, 2012 09:32AM

Melissa -- I've looked in the obvious places online for an obituary notice or announcement of services for Paul. I didn't see anything. Is there a notice on line somewhere? Again, thank you.

Posted by: Joe Boucher ()
Date: January 15, 2012 01:29AM

Dont know if anyone will ever see this but I worked at Big K radio during the early and mid 70's, took Red Shipleys place when he went to WPIK. I remember Arnold Hobbs, Roy and Paul Justice, Hunters Lodge, Partners II, Hillbilly Heaven, and Earl Dixon......Those were the good old days...Just ask Tom Cat Reeder.......

Posted by: Rick Cooper ()
Date: January 26, 2012 10:48PM

Just

Date: February 25, 2012 05:27PM

Nice to see Rick Cooper is still around. He started playing at Hunters Lodge after the Midniters left.

New question: Does anyone remember the Firehouse dance's at Herndon, Chantilly & Centerville on the weekends? some music was Country and some was Rock and Roll.
Also does anyone remember Jimmy Dean and the Texas Wildcats playing at the Oxon Hill Firehouse and the Dixie Pig in Bladensburg, Md.?

Date: March 05, 2012 07:31AM

Paul Justice's obituary is now posted online, on several Alabama newspaper sites. I saw it on the Ft. Payne paper site. Apparently the service was this past weekend. There's a recent picture you'll all recognize.

And yes, that Oxon Hill firehouse on, I think, Livingston Road? I didn't work there while Jimmy Dean was there, but I worked there for quite a while. I'd not thought about that gig in quite a long time.

Date: March 05, 2012 03:29PM

Thanks for the information Lurker01 about Paul Justice's obituary. I will check it out today.

Date: March 16, 2012 04:41PM

This is going way back.... Does anyone remember a place called Copp's Garden Room in Vienna, Va? It was a place for teens to go and dance and meet other girls and boys (no alcohol) during the beginning of rock and roll 1954. It was on the 2nd floor of the building that sold garden equipment. The music was by Juke Box with all of the top records. The location of the building was on Route 123 in Vienna when there was only 1 traffic light with one local policeman.

Posted by: Cheryl C. ()
Date: March 16, 2012 11:02PM

Hi all. Wow, I happened upon this site looking for Pam Hobbs. My brother Rick Whitacre used to play with Hobbs and Partners at Partners 2 in the early 80's. He passed away in 2007. He was a bass player with the band for several years and they put an album out called Centreville. Joe Boucher, I remember you. Rick also worked at Big K radio station. I was a teen then when I used to go there and watch my brother and his band play on Saturday nights. I loved it so much. Loved dancing with my dad and meeting several "big time" band members who would play there.These are memories I treasure dearly. I have since moved from the state and when I last was in that area, I couldn't believe how much it has changed. When Rick passed away, I gathered all the Hobbs and Partners band members together and had a celebration in memory of Rick. It was a delight to have all of them together again.

Talk about Tom Cat Reeder, he used to come to our home in Falls Church when we would have gatherings and live music. Wow! Old Times Not Forgotten... Please keep posting. I never did find where Pam is. I was googleing her and found this site! What a great find! Oh, I remember Hunter's Lodge too. Only went in there once or twice because I was too young.

Date: March 16, 2012 11:13PM

Hey Joe, Do you remember me? Rick Whitacre's sister Cheryl. I remember you but it has been so many years. We met several times back in the 80's. Rick passed away back in 2007. I got Bob Cook, Chris King, David and Larry and Eddie Kirk, John Pagganoni, Dave Goldman, Wayne Fairfax, Arlie Walton and a lot more together and had a blast! They played awesome music and brought back so many memories. How have you been??

Date: March 16, 2012 11:20PM

Speedo, I don't remember that place in Vienna. Sorry, it was before my time. But I did grow up just about 2 or 3 miles from there. I grew up in Pimmit Hills. Do you know where that is?

Posted by: Bob Goff, Jr ()
Date: March 22, 2012 08:37PM

The partners in Partner's II originally was Bob Goff, Sr, Arnold Hobbs, and Wayne Hobbs was a silent partner. Bob Sr, sold out to Arnold after he experienced heart troubles. Partner's II was the bluegrass stop over for so many bluegrass artists in the 70s and 80s. Food, family, fun and most of all bluegrass music!

Pam Hobbs doesn't perform anymore. Connie Hobbs plays in church in Culpeper and I perform with my wife the former Billie Sue Clark in a band called Mill Run Bluegrass band. Our website is millrunbluegrass.intuitwebsites.com

We play in and around Virginia and still love the music!!!

Posted by: Arnie Reed ()
Date: March 23, 2012 05:37PM

I played in a high school band (The Tensions) that played a Battle of the Bands at Hunters Lodge in the 1963-64 time frame. Jack Alix of WEEL was the DJ. I remember talking with the owner about the famous country musicians that had played there.

Date: April 06, 2012 08:57PM

Hi Bob. You should remember my brother Rick Whitacre. I remember him talking about you in the day. Glad to hear you are still playing music.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:11AM

Yes I remember Partners 2. Pam Hobbs. My Husband played there a few times.
He was a drummmer. Larry Kramer. He Played at Hunters lodge for years.
He was Ricky coopers drummer. Had a lot of good times in both Partners & Hunters.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:22AM

Hunters lodge was great. I miss it so much. My Husband was Rick Cooper's Drummer for years.There where a lot of great pickers there. Roy justice Had the place. Then Tommy & Doris sanders own'ed it.I will never forget Hunters lodge.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:52AM

Yes I spoke with Rick Cooper today.He lives in Newport. NC now. I called him today to let him know that Doris Sanders had past away this week. Tommy & Doris Sanders where the last owners of Hunters lodge.

Date: April 24, 2012 05:36PM

OK, here's another one for you. I played at the Surf Club, Bladensburg, MD. and the Turf Club, Laurel, Md. in the early 60's. Do you remember these two?

Date: April 25, 2012 04:50PM

Does anyone remember a place called Midway Hall? It was located just west of Manassas, Va.

Date: April 26, 2012 06:25AM

BG Jr -- Thank you for the updates. Very nice to hear from you. Glad you're doing well.

Ms. Lockhart -- Thanks for the word on Rick cooper. I hope he's doing well.

Speedo - yes on Midway Hall. I never worked the Surf Club. I did work a club in Laurel, but I can't remember the name. It was owned [or at least operated] by a Laurel trainer named Larry Lamparter.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:55PM

Lurker01--Glad to hear you remember Midway Hall. I played there when I was in High School with the Rocketeers and only made $6.00 for the night. Now I play for pleasure. The Turf Club in Laurel in which I referred to was owned and operated by a man named Brooks.

Posted by: Horsecountry ()
Date: May 08, 2012 06:56PM

Can anyone tell me when Hunters Lodge opened?

Date: May 13, 2012 06:06PM

Hi Horsecountry, I'm not sure when Hunters Lodge opened as a dance hall or night club, but I'm thinking it was about 1930.

Posted by: Horsecountry ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:11AM

I've got signage from them and was trying to learn more. I had no idea they were that old. Thanks speedo!

Date: June 19, 2012 04:51PM

Anyone remember Turners Arena where Jimmy Dean and the Texas Wildcats played?

Posted by: moonshine ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:07AM

Posted by: moonshine ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:08AM

Here's some history of Fairfax dance halls:

http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

Date: June 24, 2012 07:43AM

Moonshine -- thanks for the link. I was aware of that blog, but I'm not blogspot savvy so I wasn't aware of the section on lost dance halls for f'fax county.

NB - I like similar sites about lost ski areas, lost PA turnpike, lost amusement parks, lost tube stations. LOL.

Again, thanks, man. Lots of fun reading that. Most of the posts related stores that were just before my time but honky tonk and dance hall stories are timeless.

Date: July 07, 2012 11:44AM

I just saw that Tomcat Reeder has died.

Date: September 18, 2012 05:02PM

Hi folks, Looks like communications have lightened up here. Hope everyone is still doing fine. Here's one for you. Does anyone remember The National Grange Hall dances at Great Falls, Va. back in the 40's? Back then it was Forestville,Va. instead of Great Falls, Va. because Great Falls did not have a Post Office yet. We got our mail from Herndon, Va.

Posted by: Hairy Canary ()
Date: September 21, 2012 09:38PM

Saw some great bands at Partner's... and remember Country star's dropping in while passing through... Does anyone remember Pam Hobb's cover of "Have You Every Seen The Rain"?... banged my head everytime I used that x*%#2 men's room...like walking into a maze...great times...thanks for bringing up a great memory...I can almost taste the seafood special...time for a rum and coke

Date: October 25, 2012 04:51PM

Here's another quiz. Does anyone remember Wayne Gordon and the Rocketeers or The Keene Brothers Band? Both bands were in the early 50's playing places like Chantilly Firehouse, Centerville Firehouse and Franconia Firehouse.

Posted by: Dave Hendrickson ()
Date: December 13, 2012 07:51PM

I remember going there back in the 70's from Marine Barracks in DC.
It was where I first heard Bluegrass music live.I also was there when Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass boys preformed live. Geat times.
I took my then girlfriend fthere for dinner and a show, she loved it.
Don't know if its still there but I had some great times there.

Posted by: memories ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:08PM

Bobb Goff Jr., great singer, still singing with the Mill Run band.
Arnold Hobbs is sadly no longer with us. His banjo player Mike Delaney can be seen with various bands in the area. I was only 12 when i went there with my parents. Odd that they let children into a honky tonk where people were getting wasted and sometimes starting fist fights.

The good old days.

Posted by: billy hancock ()
Date: February 02, 2013 01:16AM

iI can remember when what was to become partners2 was called THE SOCIAL CIRCLE this was in the 1950s

Date: February 04, 2013 04:37PM

Are you the Bill Hancock who knows of what we speak in this thread?

Date: February 16, 2013 04:31PM

Does anyone remember Great Falls Park, Va. back in the 40's and 50's when it was owned by a private concern, before the Federal Government bought them out? There were only (4) amusements there at the time. A merry go round, a beer tavern with an outdoor dance hall, picnic tables and viewing telescopes for viewing the Falls. My parents use to go there for the dances with the big bands and I got to tag along. The merry go round had a mechanical arm that would swing out when you rode it and you could catch the brass ring for a free ride. The telescopes for viewing the falls only coat a nickel.

Posted by: Meredith ()
Date: March 22, 2013 12:16AM

Partners 2 was owned by Arnold Hobbs and my grandfather, Bob Goff, Sr. My dad Bobby Goff Jr and The Hobb sisters played up there since they were kids. Pam had a fantastic voice, but a lot of people remember my dads smooth, pitch perfect tenor, he jammed on the upright bass too. I never had a chance to actually go there- being I was a child then. It's always so touching to hear the stories about our family!

Partners 2 will always be a morale landmark of Fairfax- the good ol days.

Bob Goff jr is still performing in a band called Mill Run- check them out! www.millrunbluegrassband.com

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: April 13, 2013 07:47PM

I am not sure where this discussion is going other than lot of nostalgia stuff.

But I just did a google search on Hunter's Lodge (But not Partners II) and did not see any photo.

Question to ask is : Is there a similar place near Centerville now that is good for young and old like this place?

I live near Vienna, and the old Soundry got shut down when it was across the Vienna Rail Road Station Park.

Now I just found out they reopend a block or so from the old Presbyterian Church and Whole Food Market.

I understand they still have open mike on certain night for "jam lovers".

There must be a place like Soundry now at Centreville ?

Cafe Twin
Attachments:
Dance Now  America PSA 0204.jpg

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:59AM

Who invited you to this discussion, Bandicoot?

Posted by: nsx5400 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:26PM

I always wish it had stayed open after the invasion of the suburbs in the mid 80's.

Growing up in the area, I hated how all the folks moved in from out of the town, and just complained about living here.

I wonder if they would consider it "Clifton" if it were still in existence.

I grew up across the street from Hunter's Lodge, Pig and Chick (later Janet's Place), Family Bargain Center (Merrifield Garden Center uses that for parking now).

Up by Hunter's Lodge, at the corner of West Ox and Lee Hwy, was Old Virginia City (which I didn't learn until later what it was). For years, there was an old, boarded up building, that looked like a small church, and was the last remnant of what was there. It was right beneath the sign for Super 29 Drive-In (I always asked my Mom to go and see the third movie of the triple feature, after we found out it was X rated!).

If memory serves, the drive in, Hunter's Lodge, Janet's Place, the house (or two) and Family Bargain Center were all razed around 1985, so that Price Club could open (in 1986). Home Depot, etc, came along around 1992/3.

My folks are still there (have been since 1979).

I still tell folks about driving over to Fair Oaks Mall, when it opened in 1980, and seeing cows a the pond where office buildings are now.

Thanks for the memories!

Jason

Posted by: Debbie ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:31PM

Does anyone know what happened to Chuck and Sam Campbell who had a band called the Swingers? It was a local band. They also ran a Shell gas station on 29 in Merrifield.

Date: April 28, 2013 09:02AM

Debbie -- In the trip down nostalgia lane on this thread, I too have have wondered what happened to the Campbell Brothers. I worked one or two shows with them in the dim past. I recall their gas station in Merrifield, but I know that they were gone from there by the early '80s.

As you probably know, Merrifield has undergone quite a transformation of gentrification in the intervening years, and you won't recognize it -- approaching from Lee Highway or from Gallows Road. Change from the arrival of Metro is subtle and slow, but it happens. The only reminant of a bygone era is Merrifield Gardens, and one must wonder how much longer it will stay there.

I've not heard any mention of the Campbell brothers since those days.

Date: April 29, 2013 03:12PM

Hi Debbie and Lurker01,

In answer to your question about what happened to the Campbell Brothers, I talked to both Chuck and Sam(I think) about a year and a half ago at the Buddy Chalton's memorial benefit show at the Vienna Moose Lodge. Both are doing fine but have aged just like the rest of us. I too played music with the Campbell Brothers for about a year when they were at the Village Barn in Allentown, Md.That night club too has been torn down.

Date: July 13, 2013 05:06PM

Well folks, looks like this site has run its course. No one seems to want to add anything here. I will still be around if anyone wants to communicate.

Posted by: Linda Kramer ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:58PM

Rick Cooper is In newport NC.

Posted by: Joyce A.B. ()
Date: September 29, 2013 01:51PM

hi Joyce from Nevada. I saw the Father of Bluegrass play at partners Two many years ago. I loved that sweet Bluegrass music. Bill Monroe was the greatest

Posted by: Back IN THE Day ()
Date: October 29, 2013 04:24AM

I ran across two tough Centreville brothers at Partners II one time names were the Whorton Bullies.

I was Pam Hobb's guitar player (1970s)
Posted by: Gary White ()
Date: December 14, 2013 02:58PM

This is Gary White; I played both Partner's Two & hunter's Lodge 1977-78
leader of Raindow Riders 1979 Christopher's US Rt 1 South

Date: December 14, 2013 03:14PM

Partner's Two was NEVER known as a rough-house, while Hunter's Lodge DID have brawls occasionally they had enough bouncers to handle it:
I also played piano for Ricky Cooper & ya should also remember female vocalist Dianne Weatherholtz (who later married Gary Justice, son of Roy justice who ran the Lodge.

I quit Pam Hobbs suddenly cuz she had this (US Navy bandsman) Jeff Agnew who simply refused to shut his steel up long enough to let anyone else in the band be heard (& that suked---!!!)

Is brother Paul Justice still alive? I saw Tony years ago in Florida; he quit music altogether.

Myself, I'm in Hollywood, CA in pursuit of an acting career as Redford G.Westwood; keep an eye out fer me, will ya plez----????

Date: December 14, 2013 03:25PM

Liketa thank Alan Case for givin' the Roy Justice Stringdusters a very deserved(altho very late----) recognition;
Alan knew me well in my Washington DC days (1971-84 or so---):

I'd like to hear from 'im!

Gary White
g.white73@yahoo.com

Date: December 14, 2013 03:33PM

Greatest tune ever recorded by the Stringdusters was the Ballad of Thunder road;

Alan Case, can ya send me a copy (cassette or CD) of that, I promise I'll pay for both the material & shipping (plez send to)

Crawford-White Publishing
PO Bx #541
N.Hollywood, CA 91603

Many thanx ol' buddy(!),
Gary White
PS: Thinkin' bout doin' a movie entitled "Ol' Slik Got 'im"
(Ya remember who usta say that----????)

Correction on Jeff Agnew
Date: December 15, 2013 04:21PM

Jeff Agnew, altho one of the area's top steel players, was never a member of the US Navy Country Currents Band as I stated earlier; in fact, the night I walked out on Pam Hobbs he was playing great but he was drowning out my telecaster with his Shobud; since I'd heard Buddy Emmons do it all 20yrs before I simply packed up & went to Hunters Lodge & commenced drinking.
Jeff & I did work very well together for Jessie James (Mike Page) & the Country Outlaws (Dale Atkins on bass); I never meant to imply that his playing was inferior in any way.

I was playing with the Stringdusters @ the Lodge when they disbanded; Buddy Charleton was on steel & Steve Goff on drums & Cal Neuman on fiddle.
Tommy Dillinger was Ricky Cooper's lead man w'Eddie Dillinger as drummer.
Flip Bocker was the strinduster drummer after Don Bradshaw left in 1971;
Bradshaw went with Oscar Shields & the Schiloh Playboys @ Plaza 7; yours truly on lead & Clyde Bloodworth on steel & we enjoyed Brenda Clark on bass (Brenda could sing Rocky Top & clog at the same time, last time I saw her was @ The Hall of Fame in Nashville w/Jimmy Snyder.

Over on the Maryland side on cannot forget the Village Barn w'Carl nelson on piano & fiddle; also the Smokey Mac band & the Campbell Bro. (Sam & Chuck):
Those were th' DAYS----!!!!!!
Sincerely, Gary White

Date: December 16, 2013 07:18PM

In 1973 Roy Self left Hunters Lodge (temporarily) to form Roy Self & the Country Young'ns with Chas Carroll (drums) Lynn Strauff (Steel) & myself (Gary White) on lead guitar. (David Stout of Johnson Cty, TN became th' vocalist @ th' Lodge until Big came back).
We played one season @ The Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD then the band (with the exception of Chas Carroll who stayed @ the Crossroads to form the Heavy Country Band) went to Randy's California Inn (Laurel) w/Blind Benny Dean.

It was there Tony Cornell (Younger Bros Band) gave me a listen-to & soon offered me a job w/Billy "Crash' Craddock in Greensboro, NC;
I stayed w/Crash 8mo but returned to DC to be with my family.

Sincerely,
Gary White

Date: December 16, 2013 09:08PM

I know many of those you mention, GW, and indeed I and others have mentioned 'em above. I often wonder which of 'em are still around.

I guess all saw that Ray Price, purveyor of that eponymous shuffle that was so often heard at the Lodge, has died. Big Roy Self was a master of that vocal syle. Late at night, after hours, Roy and I occasionally fantasised about forming a band to be called The Shuffle Kings that played only that stuff.

Very few make such a contribution that their name is forever connected with a musical signature: the Chuck Berry lick, the Bo Diddley beat, and the Ray Price Shuffle, to name a few.

Date: January 19, 2014 04:28PM

As many of you probably don't know, Rudy Gabriletto passed away on January 9th. He was the Steel Guitar Player for the Stringdusters for many years. He will truly be missed. There will be a Memorial Service at National Memorial Funeral Home/Park on Saturday February 1st, 2014 at 11:oo am. The address id 7482 Lee Highway, Falls Church, Va. 22042.

Posted by: Marc Mordue ()
Date: March 10, 2014 11:13AM

I was the health inspector Partners 2, Hunters Lodge, Bull Run Grill, Janets Place, Fishermens III, Paynes, all the great old places that once dotted Rte 29. Things have certainly changed and not for the better in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Marc Mordue ()
Date: March 11, 2014 10:44PM

I mentioned earlier that I was the health inspector for these places back in the early 1980's. All great places, except for maybe Bull Run Grill. That one was a health inspectors nightmare. Straight pipe from the restroom to the creek running behind it. I saved the files for each one as it closed. So I have quite a bit of information on all these locations, even took pictures of them at the time. When I locate them, I will post the pictures I have. I even have a small bar in my Fairfax home that came from Hunters Lodge. It was in the far back room next to the fireplace. Handmade and have enjoyed it for years. I had heard that Tom Sanders had stored the original dance floor in hopes of opening a new bar where Home Depot is. Some state law about not allowing a new dance floor in any clubs. Obviously never happened. I ran into him several years after he closed Hunters Lodge and he was a driver for the Pepsi Distributor off of 50 in Chantilly. I heard that he passed away many years ago.
Someone mentioned Janet's Place. That was the old Pig and Chix and was located about 1/5 mile east of Hunters Lodge on the same side of 29. Its where the entrance road is to go into Home Depot. Janet passed away several years ago.
The last of the clubs from Fairfax to Centreville, John's Place, which was once the Green Dolphin and The New Orleans Chef closed Jan 2013. The owner John Shokoor passed away Feb 24th, 2014. An end of an era.

Posted by: assdasd ()
Date: March 12, 2014 11:39AM

yeah

Posted by: lynn ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:18PM

I loved all of those places, and although a little young (lol) got in a few times. For you all who are looking for pics...the TDbank has a great mural of old Centreville ,they may have access to some old pics.

And I miss Paynes!

Posted by: lynn ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:21PM

And it was Ewells grill. I went to school with the Ewells.

Date: June 17, 2014 04:29PM

Mordue - that's a nice story about the bar. Very cool.

I took some stuff to the dump this morning. I drove slowly as I turned off of 29, trying to catch the long lost vibe.

Date: July 14, 2014 04:18PM

Does anyone know where Jack Ledbetter is or living these days? He was
the lead guitar player for the Stringdusters. He has simply dropped out
of site.

Date: July 15, 2014 07:38AM

Is Don Bradshaw still around?

Date: July 15, 2014 03:42PM

Yes, Bradshaw is still around but not doing well according to Bill Lewis.

Date: August 05, 2014 07:28PM

this is Gary White, lead guitar player stringdusters 1977-78, so sad to hear Paul is no longer with us; he has always been my favorite fiddler (along w/Carl Nelson of course.
Had no idea Paul was in CA; my home is Paramount, CA:
It is great what Alan Sykes is doin' to bring back fond memories of those days, his girl friend Karen was good friend w/my ex Roxanne,

Sincerely,
Gary White

Posted by: Dink ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:17AM

Partners II was owned by the Hobbs family, the daughters were Pam and Becky.
Hunter's Lodge was last owned by Roy Justice.

Date: September 10, 2014 04:06PM

Anybody been able to locate Jack Ledbetter yet. He was the lead guitar player with the Stringdusters back in the day? I was told he does not want any communication with any of his fellow musicians. Kind of selfish don't you think?

Date: September 11, 2014 05:15PM

I respect Jack's wishes.

partners 2/socialcircle/hunters loddge buddy charlton
Posted by: Billy Hancock ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:00AM

I played with Danny for 6 years .I remember going with him to The Lodge and jammin after hours with Buddy Charlton, Roy and Paul Justis and a curly haired drummer that escapes me somehow.One night we brought Roy Buchanan with us .We all had long hair,The first time I thought we were going to get killed but after we played everything was fine. I also worked with both Stuart lee and Tommy Lee Brooks.

Date: September 19, 2014 04:05PM

That curly haired drummer was Don Bradshaw.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:22PM

HAPPY HAWOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!!

Date: November 05, 2014 08:29AM

Bill Hancock -- (I ran into you many years ago in the clubs in Waldorf.)

Regarding your thought about " . . . I thought we were going to get killed . . . " I know that's hyperbole but I get your thought. What you note is the defining factor of the community created by Roy: inclusiveness. As you'll recall, for Roy and Paul it was all about the art; all about the music. They had unbelievably eclectic taste, and a deep respect for all forms of music and committed musicians. The community the fostered was truly unique, and still sorely missed -- as are they.

Posted by: ~Denise ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:07PM

I 'remember' Partner's 2, well, stories of it mostly, told by my Mom, Dad, and all of the older generation of my family (I'm 51). I also remember talk of 'SOCIAL CIRCLE', and one of my family's favorites, and mine, The HUNTER'S LODGE', (as my Mama used to be a hostess there at one time, and would 'smuggle' me in to dance with my family, who were all fantastic dancers, swing, shag, JITTERBUG!)and Mama would have me sing occasionally for the owner/(mgr) who loved to hear me sing anything Patsy Cline.

I cannot for the life of me find pictures...I so wish I had pictures of the old places. They meant so much to my family, and I cherished all the fun and exciting stories told around a breakfast table at 3am in the morning, with laughter, music, and an occasional outbreak of dance! ;)

Pictures, anyone?

Born to late!

~Denise

Date: November 13, 2014 06:10PM

I sure remember talk of it, and once enjoyed listening to my Mama, and Jimmy Dean reminiscing about it, as they had been 'friends' back in their early days. ;)

~Denise

Date: November 13, 2014 06:16PM

Can you refresh my memory? What was 'Paynes'? I wonder since my maiden name was Payne.

~Denise

Attn Marc Mordue
Date: November 13, 2014 06:38PM

Hi Marc,
Thank you for sharing that story. I think I remember your bar!... I so loved Hunters Lodge, as it was like hallowed ground to me, growing up listening to all the stories, looking through my family's photos, and from around 15 or 16 being allowed to go in, to dance occasionally, and to sing even, with bands like the Stringdusters, the Southern Gentlemen, and others from time to time. Dancing and music were obsessions for my Mama's family, and I believe my Mama and Daddy met at a dance. Not sure if it was Hunters Lodge, Social Circle, or Partners 2...
Would you remember the one that Patsy Cline most frequented? Omgosh the stories I grew up hearing. My Mama and she were friends, (I grew up on her music, and loved her from my earliest memories, though I was born in 63.) and she happened to be the only woman my Grandma ever seethed over, because she made Grandma jealous, because she loved my Grandaddy George's dancing, and Patsy nicknamed him, 'Twinkle Toes Mcgee', and openly flirted with him. My grandma loved to hear me sing, but when it came to a Patsy Cline tune, which I loved, she'd grit her teeth! LOL
MAN, I would have loved being born a few years earlier!

Attn Speedo- Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Date: November 13, 2014 06:54PM

Speedo,

I THOUGHT I remembered there was a recording studio! After I had sung there at Hunters a time or two, I believe Mr. Justice contacted some musicians and wanted my Mama to let me record some songs with them. He told her he'd back me, and we would see how things went...from then on, I was allowed to come and go from Hunters Lodge, but things never panned out for recording. Just didn't come together.

I would dearly love to see pictures.... I too can close my eyes, and see the inside. I remember coming back to N. Va. After being in SanDiego with my new Navy husband, and finding out the Lodge had been closed...made me cry, because it was like, 'an era had passed'.

I'm not even sure how I stumbled across this page here tonight, but what a jog down memory lane. I hope I'll find my way back to see if anyone has replied.
;)

~Denise

Ps: my Mama was, Beckie Lee Thomas Dove (Cavaco)
Daddy was Kenneth Lee Payne
Grandma was Alma Thomas Quick
Grandaddy was George 'Twinkle Toes' Quick
Uncles: Johnny Thomas, and Woody Thomas- aka 'Popeye'

Posted by: Looloo14 ()
Date: November 14, 2014 09:01PM

I was born and raised in Fairfax County. As a kid back in the 19040's, my parents used to take us on day trips to Great Falls as there wasn't much else to do on a weekend. I remember very well the beautiful old merry-go-round and trying to catch the brass ring. I also remember the building that was known as the tavern. The sides of the building were open so you could see the falls. I remember the jukebox, the floor for dancing; you could buy food and beer. And I remember the telescope, and for a nickle, you could get an up close view of the falls. What good memories.

Date: November 17, 2014 04:14PM

Hi Folks, Great to see more postings about Hunters Lodge and what's dear to my heart, Great Falls, Va. I too remember the park with the old merry go round, the beer tavern and the telescopes for viewing the Falls. I was born and raised just one mile from the Falls and rode the merry go round during the 1940's. If you recall, every time you would catch the Brass ring it meant a free ride. You would always try to ride a horse on the outside of the merry go round. I also remember the teen parties there on the weekends during the 1950's and the hot rod cars get together. Where have the years gone?

Posted by: feehan ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:35PM

Then you knew Rudy.He was my uncle.

Date: December 29, 2014 04:43PM

Hi feehan, I assume that your reply was intended for me. Yes I knew Rudy. Rudy and I were very close. I was at his funeral. We both were from Virginia and I met Rudy in 1959 when he lived in falls church. Many a night we jammed at Hunters Lodge until the sun came up. Those were the great days of playing music for me.

Posted by: lurker01 ()
Date: January 05, 2015 08:51AM

feehan, I knew Rudy too, although not at all well. I loved his playing -- always tasteful, always soulful. I heard him many times at the Lodge; Long after the days at the Lodge, I had the distinct pleasure of working with him once at a Moose Lodge.

Posted by: JKR ()
Date: February 16, 2015 01:34PM

Hi. I ran across this by accident while doing a search w/ Partners II in my browser. Although no one has posted anything for 3 1/2 years, here's my two cents:

I worked at the Partners II for about 3 months, from September through November of 1973. Although the building was a dive, the music there was amazing! I had the remarkable pleasure of seeing many great groups play in my short tenure there...all for FREE--while I waited tables running food and drinks to the customers.

One group, whose name I cannot remember, had a couple of really super yodeling songs in their repertoire. I saw Mac Wiseman, The Osborn Brothers, and of course the Hobbs sisters, among others. And, I waited on Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer once....

The guy who cooked the food liked to be called "Chef". He had come from the restaurant that operated in (or near) the Holiday Inn in Fairfax. The food was awful - all frozen stuff that was reheated and/or deep fried.

I have some really great memories, but no pictures, alas. There is more to this story, but won't put it here.

As far as the prior names of that building - I was told in 1973 it had previously been known as the "Fairfax Social Club" and was pretty infamous for the rough clientele.

Date: February 16, 2015 01:39PM

Well, sorry about the missing 3 1/2 years....after I posted my thoughts, the next 3 1/2 came up! :(

Date: February 17, 2015 04:14PM

Welcome aboard JKR. The Fairfax Social Club that you refer to was a
club called The Social Circle. It was a very rough dive back in the
day. I never played music there, but was playing at Hunters Lodge just
down the road during the 70's.

Date: February 21, 2015 09:58AM

JKR -- great hearing your reminisces of that joint. You can go on with the rest of the stories. LOL Your anonymity here is assured. Haha.

Yes the food was awful. And that men's room: low ceilings, low overhead pipes, one very large fixture. haha. But great fun every time.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:27AM

OMG!!! Joe!!! Good to see your post. I went on this site today after a few years to check it out and saw your name. My name is Cheryl. I was at Big K Radio back in the early 1980's after winning a contest. Great to see your name on this site.

Re: Club Fairfax and Hunter's Lodge
Posted by: Ron N. ()
Date: March 29, 2015 04:52PM

I played guitar for Bobby Brown at the Club Fairfax shortly after it opened in 1970. Tommy Lee Brooks played for a while with us. The club was owned by Gene Baker at the time. After Bobby quit playing, I played with Jr. Gill and Chuck Tilley there in the Wild Card Band. Jr. and Chuck left to play with Roy Buchanan, but we regrouped about a year later. I played many jam sessions on weekends at Hunter's Lodge with Roy Self, Paul and Roy, Danny Gatton, and many other local players. Those were the greatist of times for me. That is where I got most of my country exposure. I later played guitar in the Silver Band with Tick Bryant. We spent a lot of time at Christopher's (Cow Palace), Hill Billy Heaven and the Cross Roads in Bladensburg, MD. Many of the people mentioned in this blog are people that I know i.e. Joey Martin, Billy Handcock, Gant Kushner, Mike Parker, Danny Gatton, and more. This site has brought back so many good memories for me. People really enjoyed themselves at all those clubs. Sorry they are gone. Thanks!

Date: March 29, 2015 05:37PM

So, Speedo, who did you play with and what instruments did you play there?

Luker01--not going to fill in any details here....just know that the Partners 2 management believed a lie about me and I was let go....and the rest will never be disclosed....

Does anyone looking at this thread know the group with the amazing yodeler? I would love to see some interesting youtubes from the Partners 2...

JKR

Posted by: Speedo ()
Date: April 01, 2015 04:54PM

Hi JKR, Thanks for the inquiry. I played at Hunters Lodge with The Midniters Band for about 6 years. We were the 2nd band to the Stringdusters every Friday and Saturday night. If you remember, it was music non stop from 9:00 till 1:00. I was the drummer for The Midniters Band. Ater closing time we jammed all night.

Speedo

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.