HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gypsies in Vienna?
Posted by: FFX2OBX ()
Date: July 22, 2012 08:52PM

I live on a fairly quiet street in Vienna although its always had this one house across the street from me that's run down and consistently dumpy. For as long as I've lived here it's the sort of place that has renter after renter, seldom for more than a year and always kind of the transient type who gets evicted, has the police come out all the time etc. Most other houses on the street are single families so its def the eyesore of the block.

Well a few months ago a new "family" moved into this house that is by far stranger than anything we've had to date. First off, there are literally about 14 people crammed into a tiny house that can't be more than 1400 sq ft - 6-7 adults, at least 8 different children I've counted, and they're always coming and going at all hours of the night and day though it's not clear what any of them do and it isn't a pattern that matches any normal job hours.

They consistently have 6-7 cars parked in front of it - some non-functional - and to the point that they end up spilling over on the street in front of their neighbors houses, or across including sometimes in front of mine. None of the children seem to be enrolled in school because they're outside playing in the yard when its noon on a Tuesday in the school year, but also even at weird hours of the night - often past midnight. They aren't noisy or anything and the house isn't any trashier than it was with the previous tenants - they are just very, very, very strange.

The giveaway is that this "family" looks and dresses like it's straight out of that "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" TV show. They're always wearing flowery multi-colored clothes and gaudy jewelry. The women all have strange colored and constantly changing highlights in their hair and excessive makeup, including several of the little kids that are like 8 or 9. They frequently have large cookouts on their front lawn. There's clutter, junk, and non-functional tools and furniture always scattered all over the place. And a morbidly obese lady who appears to be the matriarch of the clan sits on the front porch all day, usually dressed in one of those bright flashy multicolored dresses that is nevertheless way too tight and shows way too much skin (flab? blubber?) for someone her size.

So this is more a curiousity than anything. I had no idea until a few months ago that there were active gypsy communities in Fairfax County. The ones on the TV shows always seem to be in rural places with a very low cost of living, not an expensive suburb of DC. Anyone know any similar cases?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gypsies in Vienna?
Posted by: suspicious type ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:08PM

If they start parking shitty ass pickups with buckets in the back call the cops. They are probably the ones that go around selling old people driveway sealing. All they do is spread some used motor oil on the driveway and it washes off after the first rain. One came to my door and tried that trick I asked to see his business license and he left. I called the cops and gave them his tag number, it was a North Carolina license plate. They will steal the gold out of your teeth if you are not careful.

Date: July 22, 2012 09:13PM

No pickups currently, but they do go through a lot of vehicles. Of the 6 out there right now, 3 are different from the ones when they first arrived. The other 3 include two old clunkers that don't appear to be running and a mid 90s mercedes that runs but they keep under a tarp.

And yes there may be a bit of stealing going on. Not long ago a neighbor left a folding table out in their front lawn to dry after washing it. It disappeared overnight, then reappeared a few weeks later in the gypsies lawn during one of their feast/cookout things where all 15 of them appeared.

Posted by: Romy ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:15PM

My mama no mobidly obese! I give you evil eye!

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:21PM

I worked at one of the regional parks in the area for several summers in the early 1970s, and every summer the Gypsy caravan would come rolling in to the park campground. They had Winnebagos, trailers, pickups w/ campers, etc and traveled in a pack. Their clothing was exactly as you've described. They'd stay about a week and invariably the thefts, petty crimes and break-ins in the park would skyrocket. If they didn't get thrown out sooner, they'd leave in about a week and move on to the next target.

My advice is to make sure you lock your doors and watch your belongings. I'm surprised they don't have a fortune telling business set up in the garage!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:22PM

I've seen them mostly around Bailey's Crossroads. Maybe they're branching out.

Date: July 22, 2012 09:29PM

Now that I think back for about a week or so after they moved in they had an old one of those shuttle bus things like hotels use to pick people up at the airports, but it looked like it had been converted into living space. It disappeared after the first week though and several vehicles filled in its space. But between their behavior and the way they dress compared to that tv show, I have no doubt they're gypsies. The children also don't seem to be in any school despite all being school age.

And yes, I've got a lock on my gate and a high end security system in place cause they do seem to steal. Usually little things like the neighbors' card table. But still stealing.

Posted by: Deja Vu ()
Date: July 22, 2012 09:54PM

I once belonged to a private club that had a meeting hall
they'd rent out for occasions such as receptions. Once we
rented to some of them and they stole the toilet paper, light
bulbs, napkins, you name it, even the salt and pepper shakers.
They also tried unsuccessfully to pry through a heating duct
that led into a bar. They left the hall in a terrible mess and
it looked they'd stomped food into the carpet. They'd paid up
front but when the Pres of club tried to contact them about
all the missing items and the cleanup, the phone # they'd used
turned out to be a pay phone in DC. (This was before call line
ID and cell phones) To really put the icing on the cake they
called back three months later and wanted to rent the hall
again. Assholes.

Posted by: landlord ()
Date: July 22, 2012 11:55PM

If they are gypsies your problems are just beginning. They steal everything they can lay their hands on. Even a security system doesnt help much. If you are bringing groceries into your house they will wait until you are at your car and run in and steal whatever they can find then sneak back out without you even knowing they were in there.

Posted by: Camped Down By The River ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:09AM

What if they steal the security system?

Posted by: iknowgypsieys ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:42AM

You are correct. 15 to a house. In and out all day and night. I went for a visit. The area has just received our summer gypsies. I work at a bar in Falls Church. Spoke to several. A few drinks and you can get the whole story. The girls are sent out at night to the local bars. 4 P's, Greevys, Velocity even Applebees ect. They are not whores, instead they will look for victims for the scams. Pick pockets, steal phones, scam drinks. Pretty much harmless if you are not a sucker. Men will seek "odd jobs" during the day. The driveway scam in huge. So is the auto body scam. Tree work. Pool cleaning. Painting. Totally shitty work that comes off with the first rain. All of it. Lets just let them be. Survival of the fittest. They will all be heading south soon. Alabama, Florida., Texas are next. They are very organized. With a plan. Just don't be a dumbass and let some stupid hobos take advantage of you and you should be fine. Live and let live.

Posted by: question123 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:42AM

does the benz have florida plates??

Posted by: mizz jizz ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:10AM

I think I'd look into whether there are any code violations and make a few calls to Code Enforcement. Live and let live is fine, if you are dealing with law-abiding citizens, but these people are not. They are crooks.

Anyone who takes advantage of churches is the lowest of low. Recently, these people have shown up to various church suppers telling all that they are traveling and then gorge themselves. It has happened enough that local churches have contacted each other to be on alert. Once they come into the open church, money will be missing.

I hate gypsies!

Posted by: H8ter ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:40AM

Sounds like a bunch of nigs to me

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:41AM

What street is this on? I wanna drive by and see it.

Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:09PM

The women with a baby and/or small children who approach in the grocery store parking lot and ask for $ are part of this. You don't care about the women, but you feel sorry for the children so you cough up some $. Think of it as their job - if they ask 40 people an hour for money and 36 say "No." but four give them $5 - $10, that's $25 - $30/hour. In cash, tax free, obviously. A normal person has too much pride to do this, to them its living off the land.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:41PM

pics or it didnt happen

and by that i mean, ooo i wanna see

Posted by: Gypsy Scam? ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:45PM

Any of these gypsy chicks willing to give it up? I mean business is business.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 23, 2012 12:52PM

Gypsy Scam? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any of these gypsy chicks willing to give it up? I
> mean business is business.

probably pretty feral down there, might get bitten by something

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:04PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Gypsy Scam? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any of these gypsy chicks willing to give it up?
> I
> > mean business is business.
>
> probably pretty feral down there, might get bitten
> by something

would be totally worth it!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: July 23, 2012 02:51PM

Gypsy Scam? Wrote:
> Any of these gypsy chicks willing to give it up? I
> mean business is business.

They know more about you then you know about women. You think with the little head and they know it. You can't win.

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:22PM

The Gyphsy's I see like to hang around gas stations trying to sucker people into buying them gas and food, they travel up and down the coast doing this.

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: July 23, 2012 06:04PM

Now you know where the phrase "I've been gypped" originated.

Posted by: english ()
Date: July 23, 2012 06:35PM

oh guys, seriously, look up gypo stories from the UK and get prepared, luckily I lived on a farm with two badass dogs and a shotgun, no not much bother there. and they are not called gypsies, they are called either:

tarmacers (from the driveway scam)

or

do-as-you-likies (pikeys)

watch snatch and call the cops as soon as you see them. suprised the over zealous fairfax/vienna pd are not throwing their toys out of the pram to fuck these people up. in London they will walk up to you with a baby and get very very close muttering something, where the baby is actually strapped in, and pick pocket you. or they will walk into a bar and hold a map in front of you (taking whatever is on the table covered by the map). I was once interviewing a candidate in starbucks when this happened once, and i went fucking mental at the kid, threw him out of the place physically.

Posted by: MIAG ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:36PM

May have seen one this afternoon around 3:45 p.m. at the
intersection of Rt. 50 and Jermantown Rd. She was standing
on the median next to the light carrying a sign that said
he has no job or money to pay the rent or buy food. Colorfully
dressed, dark complected. I had to sit through two light cycles
because of the traffic but didn't see anyone giving her money.
She didn't look hungry or desperate.

Posted by: CCFGypsy ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:12PM

The only real Gypsies in Fairfax are the guys who defecate on the golf course at the Country Club of Fairfax. Just ask Whitaker the former President.

Posted by: Tysons ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:16PM

I saw one in front of the new rotisserie place, Super Chicken I think it's called in front of the Marshalls. She half mumbles saying, "I have no money, I have no food" and when you walk by her without giving her money, she starts mumble crying whinging. You can stop and begin to feel sorry for her but she stops crying within 2 seconds when the next person walks by and repeats what she said. She is really old, like probably 70 and had a red head scarf on.

Posted by: CCFGypsy ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:40PM

That's a ghost of Hambone!

Posted by: I See ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:42PM

Came throught that intersection at 7:25 this morning. No gypsy, but there was a plastic container with some food and two bottles of water waiting. Interresting.

Posted by: blake lane 73 ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:47PM

Does anyone have contact info. for the gypsies? C-Rusty the Clown needs housing desperately and since these gypsies use pickup truks, they maybe could sell a good used circus wagon for Hall to use as his WNC mobile command post. A palm reading to find out what Timmy thinks of this plan would be nicew too.

Posted by: Hooray for Boobies ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:21PM

Do any of the women look like this?
Attachments:
kari_wuher_thinner.jpg

Posted by: MIAG ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:46PM

I See Wrote:
> Came throught that intersection at 7:25 this
> morning. No gypsy, but there was a plastic
> container with some food and two bottles of water
> waiting. Interresting.

Sounds like they only work 9-5. Weekends and Federal holidays off? I dunno.

Posted by: SAAR ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:51PM

Hooray for Boobies Wrote:
> Do any of the women look like this?\\

No way. Kari is of German descent. Gypsy women look like Hell
before breakfast.

Posted by: Shhh... It's a secret ()
Date: July 24, 2012 04:11PM

The house described in the OP is actually the WNC Safe House. It's for members to stay at when they're thrown out of their residence and looking for new quarters. Did you see anyone in a beret, by chance? Or maybe someone who looks like roadkill, maybe like he smashed into the back of another car at high speed?

Posted by: P ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:06PM

I can confirm they are quite active in Bailey's Crossroads. Unfortunately, one leased my condo there, and I'm close to evicting him, but he'll probably get away with 4 months of not paying rent. Although he's put some money into the place (carpet, paint), so this will probably wind up being a lose/lose all around.

They are very sophisticated. They'll send a young nicely dressed charmer to rent a place (no criminal record, no local civil record, undeveloped credit history), pay for a few months, and then stop paying while supplying excuses along the way. And they'll have one of their family members pose as their employer with a fake web presence and phone number.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are branching out elsewhere, but yeah, right now the system works largely in their favor, even in Fairfax County where the landlord protections are pretty decent.

Posted by: UchmP ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:17PM

Attachments:
stevie.jpg

Posted by: cYGUE ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:18PM

Attachments:
stevie-2.jpg

Posted by: EdXKM ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:18PM

Attachments:
stevie-3.jpg

Posted by: ThVPC ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:20PM

currently i could get a ticket maybe a date

but acc. to fx co gov would have to walk to the concert

if it's called "the WorldCom" stadium then i should just get a cab and not pay is that right ?

Posted by: Martin Parker Jones ()
Date: December 12, 2014 06:01PM

Ffx Co's Overcrowding Hotline is a joke. The three bedroom one bathroom house next door to us is filled with people. 2-4 small kids and 7-10 cars, all carefully parked in the driveway or in front of the house. We see people park their cars and enter the house by going into the back yard and using the basement door. They put up a fancy "tool shed" complete with window and front porch in the back yard. I called the Hotline who asked me *why* I was calling (because the house was overcrowded, duh) and while they may have visited, no action was taken.

Good luck with the Gyppos in the hood. They'll rob stores by instructing their kids to create a distraction and then help themselves to the merchandise. This happened at a small store in MD that is owned by friends of mine.

Posted by: A Congenial Spot ()
Date: December 12, 2014 08:07PM

Every gypsy child in Vienna is given a comfortable mattress to sleep upon, as decreed by the Town Council.

That's how warm and giving Vienna is.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.