HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12345All
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: SOCO HS Baseball Coach does not Discipline Player
Posted by: SOCO Truth ()
Date: September 07, 2009 11:24AM

Coach - I think we're in 90% agreement. Pulling a player that acted inappropriately is the right and only thing to do. We need more coaches that don't put up with the BS that some players pull today. Unfortunately, SOCO has more than their fair share. Luther's more concerned about W/L than he is about using HS sports to better the student. That is fundamentally wrong.

You should never sacrifice values simply to ensure a better outcome in the game. I'm sure Luther knows the game, but he doesn't see the bigger picture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: VHSL ()
Date: September 07, 2009 12:31PM

Luther needs to follow the below guidelines:

Good sportsmanship is a top priority of the Virginia High School League. In fact, the manner in which you and your team represent your school is far more important than whether you win or lose the games you play.

Good sportsmanship is all about respect – respect for teammates and coaches, respect for opposing players and coaches, respect for contest officials, and respect for the game.

Please demand from your players and team personnel that as they compete they treat all other teams and officials with respect at all times, regardless of the situation. Please encourage your fans to do the same. And, finally, please lead by your example.

Sad to say, Luther fails all of the above.

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: September 07, 2009 01:33PM

Sad to say not alot of coaches do what they should do.
Like other people have stated beforehand, coaching is not all about W/L record, but the only thing is, that is how coaches are judged. If a coach has a bad record, he is history. Not many people are worried about how a coach acts.
That should fall back on the school and the VHSL. If they both allow the coaches to act like fools, then they are going to keep doing it.
I think that the league/school should implement a fine/suspension policy for acting out, and I think the umpires need to step up the enforcement of the rules and whatnot. Having seen the NV umpires, I must say they are a joke. The umpires are not really concerned about the rules. As long as they can get their $85 a game they dont care.
I personally think the best thing for the coaches to do is go coaching clinics and maybe take a philosophy class

Posted by: BB coach ()
Date: September 08, 2009 10:04AM

I agree coach for the guy who said get an education and run a buisness. Well I have a Double Masters. As for the the buisness Try controlling a budget dealing with boosters and the school admin. Making the budget stretch then dealing with parents who think little Johnny is going to pay for their retirement. I can't say Luther's acted correctl, but I also can say their is not one person who has not blown up at one time.

Posted by: BB coach ()
Date: September 08, 2009 10:08AM

If you think wins and losses do not matter try getting a player in to a good D1 or D2 college program win the team he comes from has a loosing record.

Posted by: SoCo Wannabe ()
Date: September 09, 2009 03:36PM

Coach Luther, Coach Smith, Coach Townsend, Coach Carver and Coach Nevins are very nice gentlemen and good examples to their players on how to act - both on the field and off.

Coach Luther might have made a mistake by not disciplining a player but overall - he does look out for his players as people. He truly wants them to be good players and temamates. Yes - I do know him and all the coaches!!

Posted by: grasshole ()
Date: September 09, 2009 06:49PM

Hey VHSL aka. Grasso Will you just shut the fuck up already...go away, you will never get a coaching job in this area. YOU are not qualified and NOBODY likes you!!! Get the Hint...go back to your ex-wife, she'll straighten you out...

Posted by: Love these posts ()
Date: September 09, 2009 08:10PM

We have nine pages of SOCO bull shit, lets go for ten.

Posted by: Verbum Dei ()
Date: September 10, 2009 02:52PM

Helping to make it 10.

Posted by: DarkSide ()
Date: September 10, 2009 10:58PM

Funny how Grasso likes to talk about cheating when in fact he was caught cheating on his wife. He is like all of these people that post on this topic. They bitch because either there son/daughter, grandchild, themselve got cut from a team. Or the fact that no one cares what you have to say. Funny how he can bash anyone on his site, but he will not allow anyone to post on his site. If you email him, his typical response is, "anytime, anywhere asshole." Typical New York answer. May be we should start sending him FOIA.

Posted by: Love this site ()
Date: September 11, 2009 05:28AM

Go to, www.fairnessinschoolsports.org/

Posted by: 1st Base ()
Date: September 11, 2009 07:10AM

I'll take Grasso over Luther any day.

I'm still puzzled why Luther picked the son of Grasso's girlfrind to make the team year after year when everyone knew many other kids were more deserving. I guess he desperately needed a bullpen catcher.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: September 11, 2009 10:04AM

You know, I'd heard of this Grasso idiot over the years...never paid him much mind. Typical gadfly antagonist with a selfish agenda, in my mind.

Then I went to his website, listed above.

Lo and behold, I see posts on there that have been C/P here, and on other threads. Including that retarded Madison Mom with her "conflict of issue" crap. The one that's been a pain in the ass for her kid's coaches since they were 8. Yeah, I know her.....ugh.

Now its much clearer, and much easier, to see through the anonymous posts on here.

And btw, BB coach, this thread ORIGINATED over issues with Luther's and a SOCO kid's behavior on the field--I'm glad you agree that that's out of bounds. All the other "Grasso" bullshit about playing time, fund raising and camps is and has been just so much wasted bloviating. But thanks for reading.

Posted by: For Real? ()
Date: September 11, 2009 10:59AM

Trying to piece together this soap opera: Grasso hates Luther (and everybody else apparently). But Luther carried Grasso's girlfriend's son on the team although he didn't belong. This wasn't enough to diffuse Grasso and he continues to lash out at the SOCO program (and everyone else). SOCO parents want change. I know why this thread started (player banging himself on the head with bat while shouting expletives only to be overlooked by coach) but what's the history between these 2? Man, this could be the makings of a great reality TV show...The Biggest Losers? Survivor: SOCO? Bashing with the Stars?

Posted by: headbanger ()
Date: September 11, 2009 09:45PM

The kid who banged his head was Luther's pet from day 1 of 9th grade. The second coming of Babe Ruth.

Posted by: 1st base ()
Date: September 12, 2009 10:25PM

Headbanger speaks the truth. He's now at the baseball powerhouse of Mary Washington.

Posted by: DarkSide ()
Date: September 12, 2009 10:39PM

Grasso is a piece of shit. He is a failure at everything and that is why he is lashing out at all FCPS. He needs to realize that he messed and ran a shitty business. Instead, he is making everyones life a living hell. He always says anytime, anywhere...guess what..I am ready to kick your ass old man and finally shut your dumb ass up.

Date: September 14, 2009 10:50PM

Anybody know if Grasso still runs the South County Hawks?

Posted by: lutherwannabeeee ()
Date: September 15, 2009 06:52PM

you will see what a good coach he is if he wins with the talent he has this year. Its hard to replace two thirds of your roster. The middle of there line-up was all-region good, plus they had an all-region pitcher, what's in the wings? Anybody know what happened to there best players, where did they go?

Date: September 18, 2009 09:41PM

I agree with the last poster. Let's see what Luther does with only an above average team. None of his seniors went anywhere special, at least not the ones that will contiue playing baseball in college. Seth Jordan went to Mary Washington, Nick Digby went to NC Wesleyan.

Posted by: luther ()
Date: September 20, 2009 09:02AM

SOCO Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with the last poster. Let's see what
> Luther does with only an above average team. None
> of his seniors went anywhere special, at least not
> the ones that will contiue playing baseball in
> college. Seth Jordan went to Mary Washington,
> Nick Digby went to NC Wesleyan.

Why are those schools not special....Is it because they're not D1? The competition at the D3 level is still very good....I have a son on CNU and the competition is ridiculous. Its all about being at the right place at the right time. I've seen Digby play for a number of years and he can hit the sh** out of the ball...Jordan had a great junior year but a soft one as a senior, but he can still play. They will excel at the level they are at. Being a big fish in a small pond is better than not getting on the field at all.

Date: September 21, 2009 07:23AM

It's not the quality of the baseball I was referring to, it's the quality of the academics. These kids will not make their living hitting the sh.. outta the ball, but will use their college education to prep themselves for the "real world". Why is baseball the be all end all. Sad, sad perspective.

Date: September 21, 2009 10:59AM

luther Wrote:

> They will excel at the level they are at. Being a
> big fish in a small pond is better than not
> getting on the field at all.

on a 36 man roster (UMW) where only 8 hitters get significant at-bats, I'll go way out on a limb here and say--being a small fish in a small pond is statistically probable.

Date: September 21, 2009 12:44PM

luther Wrote:
> SOCO Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree with the last poster. Let's see what
> > Luther does with only an above average team.
> None
> > of his seniors went anywhere special, at least
> not
> > the ones that will contiue playing baseball in
> > college. Seth Jordan went to Mary Washington,
> > Nick Digby went to NC Wesleyan.
>
>
> Why are those schools not special....Is it because
> they're not D1? The competition at the D3 level is
> still very good....I have a son on CNU and the
> competition is ridiculous. Its all about being at
> the right place at the right time. I've seen Digby
> play for a number of years and he can hit the sh**
> out of the ball...Jordan had a great junior year
> but a soft one as a senior, but he can still play.
> They will excel at the level they are at. Being a
> big fish in a small pond is better than not
> getting on the field at all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...SOCO Truth, you weren't very clear on your post. Academics didn't come up once on this thread and I'm suppossed to assume that's what your talking about...How do you know about the quality of education, do you know anything about D3 schools. As far as kids not making a living hitting the shit out of the ball, how do you know? Anything can happen, take this from someone whose kid is in high A ball who came from a D3 school. Some kids have dreams of playing at the next level...no matter how long it takes! It's a good thing they don't listen to people such as yourself...

Posted by: Luther 2 ()
Date: September 21, 2009 12:45PM

Does Nick Markakis ring a bell......

Posted by: BBcoach ()
Date: September 21, 2009 02:50PM

Having come from a D1 program to coaching I agree the level of play in D2 and D3 is good, but consider this the number of scholarships in D2 is 1/2 that of D1 and D3 I do not think they offer Baseball scholarships if they do it is 1 or 2 per year. You also must consider this, out of a team of 15 only 9 play and 10 hit, out of that number 1 to 4 players will actully get looked at by scouts. out of the four 1 might get an offer. If that he will be 1 of 20 to 30 who get to the college team. The team is now made up of the studs from every other High School the scouts went to and offered 1 kid a chance. For 1 position on the team the in coming freshman might be 1 of 6 palyers at the position and that is a low esatmate of the 6, 4 will be upperclassman. take those numbers and you will see playing any significant amount in college is like winning the lotto. My advice is parents be realistic Coaches be truthful with players and parents.Players remember its a game. keep your grades an atittude up. I agree displine bad sportsmanship.

Date: September 21, 2009 03:36PM

Luther - as parents it's our job to provide the best guidance to our kids. Telling them to follow the dream at some podunk D3 school, instead of focusing on academics at a better academic institution is foolish. As a business owner, I know a great deal about the kind of professionals schools develop. The chances of "making it" at a D3 school are so slim, its a non starter. Coaches and parents need to be more responsible when providing guidance to a high school student.

"Follow the dream" at D3 .... Not so much. Keep drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

If only you were the real Luther.

Posted by: bull ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:55PM

Let's stop talking about Luther for a minute. What about these other men who are there to coach but only care about their kids. Smith kid who is a team manager but takes more infield and BP then some of the varsity players. Neivens who only show's up when he fell like putting the kids down. Townsend who dont care about nothing but his kid.I'm so glad my kid is gone and don't have to put up with this anymore. Good Luck

Posted by: HaHA ()
Date: September 21, 2009 11:53PM

SOCO Truth Wrote:
> It's not the quality of the baseball I was
> referring to, it's the quality of the academics.
> These kids will not make their living hitting the
> sh.. outta the ball, but will use their college
> education to prep themselves for the "real world".
> Why is baseball the be all end all. Sad, sad
> perspective.

Mary Washington and Christopher Newport are 2 of the hardest schools in Virginia to get in to. I have a niece that had like a 4.3 and she CHOSE Mary Washington. Your credibility is not getting any better.

I have played and coached numerous sports and I can tell you that baseball is the most subjective of all. Two very good coaches could see total opposite things in a player. So guess what the parent will see? Get over it, your kid probably sucks. And I'll bet he can't get into UMW or CNU either.

Date: September 22, 2009 01:15PM

luther Wrote:
> luther Wrote:
> -----
> > SOCO Truth Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I agree with the last poster. Let's see what
> > > Luther does with only an above average team.
> > None
> > > of his seniors went anywhere special, at
> least
> > not
> > > the ones that will contiue playing baseball
> in
> > > college. Seth Jordan went to Mary
> Washington,
> > > Nick Digby went to NC Wesleyan.
> >
> >
> > Why are those schools not special....Is it
> because
> > they're not D1? The competition at the D3 level
> is
> > still very good....I have a son on CNU and the
> > competition is ridiculous. Its all about being
> at
> > the right place at the right time. I've seen
> Digby
> > play for a number of years and he can hit the
> sh**
> > out of the ball...Jordan had a great junior
> year
> > but a soft one as a senior, but he can still
> play.
> > They will excel at the level they are at. Being
> a
> > big fish in a small pond is better than not
> > getting on the field at all.
>
> Everyone is entitled to their opinion...SOCO
> Truth, you weren't very clear on your post.
> Academics didn't come up once on this thread and
> I'm suppossed to assume that's what your talking
> about...How do you know about the quality of
> education, do you know anything about D3 schools.
> As far as kids not making a living hitting the
> shit out of the ball, how do you know? Anything
> can happen, take this from someone whose kid is in
> high A ball who came from a D3 school. Some kids
> have dreams of playing at the next level...no
> matter how long it takes! It's a good thing they
> don't listen to people such as yourself...

HAHA, tell him like it is, CNU and UMW are great academic institutions. As a business owner you're passing up alot of potential candidates by not knowing what a good school is. So what if you don't make it, you're still getting 4 more years of baseball and with alittle luck and hard work...who knows where it will take you. SOCO TRUTH, you're tunnel vision has caused you to miss out on so much. I feel sorry for you. Put some Capt. Morgan in your Kool Aid, it will ease your pain. Sad, sad perspective.

Date: September 22, 2009 02:43PM

How this devolved into which colleges are better is beyond me. I think letting kids go to school where they want is perfectly fine, athletes or not. VERY few athletes in ANY college sport have a preponderance of choice of schools.

SOCO TRUTH can run his business any way he wants; I doubt where the degrees come from matters much. Having hired an awful lot of folks, I'd say it's only one of MANY criteria one could use.

Wasn't the purpose of this thread to discuss Luther's behavior on the field, and how(or not) he disciplined his out of control players?

Date: September 23, 2009 01:29PM

luther - thanks for feeling sorry for me. I feel so special. I agree with fairfaxdude in that the focus of this thread should be the lack of discipline Luther instills in his players. Saw it first hand over and over. CNU and MWU are OK local schools if that's what you want. I prefer more nnational universities like UVA, UNC, Penn St, Michigan,Texas, military academies etc. Just my preference. My expeience as shown that the folks from these schools perform and don't need hand holding.

Anybody know where Luther went to school.

Posted by: lutherwannabeeeeee ()
Date: September 23, 2009 06:40PM

luther Wrote:
> luther Wrote:
> -----
> > SOCO Truth Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I agree with the last poster. Let's see what
> > > Luther does with only an above average team.
> > None
> > > of his seniors went anywhere special, at
> least
> > not
> > > the ones that will contiue playing baseball
> in
> > > college. Seth Jordan went to Mary
> Washington,
> > > Nick Digby went to NC Wesleyan.
> >
> >
> > Why are those schools not special....Is it
> because
> > they're not D1? The competition at the D3 level
> is
> > still very good....I have a son on CNU and the
> > competition is ridiculous. Its all about being
> at
> > the right place at the right time. I've seen
> Digby
> > play for a number of years and he can hit the
> sh**
> > out of the ball...Jordan had a great junior
> year
> > but a soft one as a senior, but he can still
> play.
> > They will excel at the level they are at. Being
> a
> > big fish in a small pond is better than not
> > getting on the field at all.
>
> Everyone is entitled to their opinion...SOCO
> Truth, you weren't very clear on your post.
> Academics didn't come up once on this thread and
> I'm suppossed to assume that's what your talking
> about...How do you know about the quality of
> education, do you know anything about D3 schools.
> As far as kids not making a living hitting the
> shit out of the ball, how do you know? Anything
> can happen, take this from someone whose kid is in
> high A ball who came from a D3 school. Some kids
> have dreams of playing at the next level...no
> matter how long it takes! It's a good thing they
> don't listen to people such as yourself...

HARVARD

Date: September 24, 2009 02:39PM

how embarassing for Harvard

Posted by: Skoal Bandit ()
Date: September 24, 2009 03:07PM

C'mon yall, couple more posts and we're on page 10! Yeehaw. Tell me more about the dippin' and spittin' that went on in the dugout!

Date: September 24, 2009 03:24PM

Sounds like Skoal Bandit is a protege of Luther. PWT at it's best.

Date: September 24, 2009 03:56PM

Yeehaw! After all, this is LORTON! NASCAR country...who's ur driver? PWT? Partyin' With Tobacco?! Yep'r. Now back to the mud slingin'.

Posted by: Well? ()
Date: September 24, 2009 07:09PM

Who is in line to get boned at SC next year?

Has anyone signed to a college? Someone give us some ammo......

Date: September 25, 2009 01:01PM

Skoal Bandit - SOCO is in Lorton. The SOCO baseball players predominately live in Fairfax Station. You are the definition of PWT (Po white trash).

Date: September 25, 2009 01:55PM

White Trash, yep. Po? Nope. Where does Luther live? And I noticed despite all your bellyachin' he ain't goin nowhere. I reckon your boy is done playin and you still blame him cuz he didn't go D1...or did Luther cut your boy? Luther gonna be dippin' and chewin' at SOCO for a long time. Yeehaw!

Posted by: Raider ()
Date: September 25, 2009 02:04PM

Does Skoal get acccess to a computer between cleaning the boys stalls at SOCO.
Po - I think so!

Date: September 25, 2009 02:19PM

Raider, pretty darn sure that you and 1st Base know all about boys stalls alright. Gonna bet you and him probably shared a few in your day. Now, let's get back to some good ol' mudslingin'. Yeehaw!

Posted by: workouts ()
Date: September 29, 2009 07:06PM

Baseball workouts have probably started. Any SOCO updates?

Date: September 30, 2009 02:39PM

Update: Skoal Bandit still shoveling crap from the boys restrooms. Still hoping that saying yeehaw will make him look impressive to the HS freshmen.

Posted by: Yeehaw ()
Date: December 18, 2009 09:46PM

It's a week before X-Mas and Mark Luther still can't coach. Oh yeah, he's very short.

Posted by: soco truth ()
Date: February 13, 2010 05:46PM

With all the snow, will tryouts be pushed back?

Posted by: dukes ()
Date: February 24, 2010 08:42PM

Tryouts have been going on inside the schools facilities.

Date: February 25, 2010 08:59AM

So in a few days, after cuts, we'll get some whiny, over privileged, under achieving, self entitled parents bitching about how some mean bad coach cut their little boy? And its the coach's fault little Johnny isn't on the team. That mean ogre of a coach plays favorites and since we have principles, we won't pander to him.

Let me just prepare you helicopter moms. "You're boy isn't good enough."

Date: March 18, 2010 03:09PM

Actually, Luther isn't good enough.

Posted by: not surprised ()
Date: March 22, 2010 09:42PM

Seth Jordan having a good year at Mary Washington. Not surprising given his talents.

Posted by: your name ()
Date: March 22, 2010 11:58PM

not surprised Wrote:
> Seth Jordan having a good year at Mary Washington.
> Not surprising given his talents.

hows his dick taste?

Posted by: SOCO Tuth ()
Date: March 23, 2010 09:42PM

Seth is actually having a good freshman year at MW. Thank god Luther prepared him so well.

Posted by: Bo Jangles ()
Date: March 24, 2010 12:17PM

SOCO Tuth Wrote:
> Seth is actually having a good freshman year at
> MW. Thank god Luther prepared him so well.

Don't forget the daily blowjobs that you've been giving him for some time now

Date: April 07, 2010 07:35AM

Bo Jangles - When it comes to BJs, you're obviously the expert.

Posted by: Dbsdi ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:46PM

I know Seth he is a pussy who quit football so he wouldnt get hurt. This fits his personality as a big cry baby. Jane Lipp sucks. We need the Rumburgler back. Luther Sucks. Plugraph sucks. Bendorf is chill.

Posted by: Grasso ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:42PM

I'm still bitter that Luthers the coach and not me.

Posted by: Interested Parent ()
Date: March 31, 2011 02:39PM

Dbsdi Wrote:
> I know Seth he is a pussy who quit football so he
> wouldnt get hurt. This fits his personality as a
> big cry baby. Jane Lipp sucks. We need the
> Rumburgler back. Luther Sucks. Plugraph sucks.
> Bendorf is chill.

Agree that Rumburgler is needed back! Pflugrath is a good man and does a great job!

Posted by: man up ()
Date: March 31, 2011 02:53PM

Baseball Fan Wrote:
> This was a total disgrace for high school sports
> and should not happen in front of players, adults
> and their children.

How many of the players have children?

Posted by: Best Team in School History ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:32PM

Funny how all of you had nothing to say when Luther lead this squad to an outstanding 28-1 record this past season. He's a great coach.

Posted by: LBparent ()
Date: November 07, 2011 03:41PM

As a Lake Braddock parent I must add that I have been quite impressed the last few years at Coach Luther's coaching of his team. They had a great season and really appreciate the time that all these coaches give, and the great influences they have on our kids.

Posted by: SOCO BBALL ()
Date: November 11, 2011 02:06PM

LBparent Wrote:
> As a Lake Braddock parent I must add that I have
> been quite impressed the last few years at Coach
> Luther's coaching of his team. They had a great
> season and really appreciate the time that all
> these coaches give, and the great influences they
> have on our kids.

He's a good man and put together a good staff, just like Braddock has done. All the games we played against you guys last year were great and I have much respect for that team.

Posted by: anonomous ()
Date: February 06, 2014 10:47PM

I completely disagree with what you're saying. Coach Luther wasn't the one telling the kid to cuss so you can't blame him for the actions of other people. Also he had the game to worry about so he isn't going to waste time disciplining a player when there is a game to be played. I'm sure he said something after the game, as all coaches do. Plus this is a HIGH SCHOOL SPORT meaning the language isn't always going to be appropriet but it happened so deal with it. I'm sure soccer players, football players, basketball and all the other athletes say those things as well at any high school you just don't hear because you aren't next to them. Luther is not a parent he is a coach, so he isn't responsible for do diciplining a player when a game is going on. If you aren't comfortable with what is said I dare you to go to a pro or college game. There will definitely be fowl language said but you don't bag on those coaches so stop bagging on Coach Luther. If you and your child can't handle the language and intensity then you shouldn't have your child on a high school sport.

Posted by: Hayfield Hawk, my ass! ()
Date: February 06, 2014 11:31PM

> There will definitely be fowl language <

As in, "bawk, bawk, bawk bawk", or something like that?

Posted by: walkingdead ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:47AM

Good grief, don't old threads die at some point?

Pages: Previous12345All
Current Page: 5 of 5

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.