HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: SOCO HS Baseball Coach does not Discipline Player
Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: June 14, 2009 11:25PM

SOCO Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well well well... looks like Luther has struck
> again. South County will be much better off once
> Luther heads back to Hayfield.

Struck again? Do tell.....

Back to Hayfield?......details, pls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SOCO Parent ()
Date: June 15, 2009 05:55AM

SOCO Truth Wrote:
> Well well well... looks like Luther has struck
> again. South County will be much better off once
> Luther heads back to Hayfield. I feel the pain of
> the parents and players that still have top put up
> with his BS. Thank God may son is graduating in 4
> days. On to better things.
>
> Nick's dad has never been a fan of Luther. Seth's
> dad on the other hand has always been in his back
> pocket. You do the math.
>
> Keep on dippin' and screwin' the kids Luther.

Luther has done the same BS for years. He played favorites at Hayfield and he is doing the same at SOCO. There are lots of parents that have to do stuff for Luther or else.

This is not what HS baseball should be about. He needs to go.

Posted by: SOCO Truth ()
Date: June 15, 2009 09:56AM

The woed is that Hayfield isn't pleased with their Baseball coach and might be willing to take Luther back. I doubt Luther would want to go - not enough talent remaining at Hayfield.

Grasso really wanted the SOCO job when the school was opening. Not sure of his present interest. I imagine Luther kept picking Gharib over numerous more talented players in order to appease Grasso. If not, Grasso would have put the full court press on for the Head Coach position. Grasso would have steam rolled Luther.

Posted by: Another witness ()
Date: June 15, 2009 10:00AM

unbelievable Wrote:
> ...I noticed at
> the team dinner last thursday that Digby's father
> wasn't even present and that he is so disgusted
> with Luther that he told him he'd never speak with
> him again...My
> son has one more year at South County and I have
> seen more than enough of Luther/Smith and
> Townsends bullshit...

Hmmm, let's see...there were 2 junior players in attendance (Townsend being one) and the parent of another junior who wasn't in attendance. I believe one of the 2 players in attendance did not have a parent there. Coach Townsend was there. Unless you're lying about your son having one more year, then this can only be the rantings of one bitter parent. May be interesting next year.

Posted by: Blue Blood ()
Date: June 16, 2009 04:20PM

I imagine the other junior is the kid that claims MIT is interested in him.

Posted by: question?? ()
Date: June 16, 2009 09:12PM

wasn't there 4 juniors on that team?

Posted by: SOCO Truth again ()
Date: June 16, 2009 09:23PM

Why is there so much anger at SOCO. Does Coach Luther only like 1 player? Who is the bitter parent Luther is referring too? Are there so many unhappy parents that no one knows who he is talking about?...I've had alot of catching up to do, someone help fill in the blanks...

Posted by: 1st base ()
Date: June 17, 2009 12:10PM

The anger at SOCO ref Luther is that he doesn't put the players first. He picks numerous players every year based on what the parents can do for him. HS baseball should be for the kids.

"Those you can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym" Luther epitomizes this saying.

Posted by: Three problems at SOCO ()
Date: June 17, 2009 02:38PM

SOCO has three major problems. They are Luther, Townsend and Smith.

When they go things will be better for the players.

Posted by: Oh really? ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:17PM

Three problems at SOCO Wrote:
> SOCO has three major problems. They are Luther,
> Townsend and Smith.
>
> When they go things will be better for the
> players.

Actually 4...but you're leaving. Along with your whiny, untalented son and his career .240 batting average. Have fun playing slow-pitch softball (co-ed).

Date: June 18, 2009 07:54AM

Sounds like "Oh really" is one of those dads that has his d... up Luther's ass. Gotta make sure little Jimmy gets to play.

Posted by: Not me.... ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:32AM

I was told that someone was impersonating me on this site and YOU better stop right now...I have never participated on this website before and hopefully this will be the last time. After reading all this bullshit crying and bitching about your sons not playing or the coaches aren't fair, whatever, why don't you go voice your displeasure to the coaches...I did this already and I wish I would have done it in differently, but what's done is done... Whoever is acting like me to get whatever point accross, stop dragging me into this. I can see how one would percieve this to be me, but I would do this face to face and not hide behind this stupid forum. Now if you think it's me that's one thing. if you are writing about my son that's something altogether different.If I find out who you are (and I will) I feel sorry for you. It better not be you Mark.... you think Grasso is a pest, wait until I'm through with you.

Posted by: Not me ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:49AM

Just for the record, I feel very strongly that my son was screwed over, but I still never dogged his coaches...Why no one voted for him in district and regionals is beyond me....I guess I'll never know the answers to the million questions I have, but I have never thought any less of Luther, Smith and Townsend, all who could be Head Coaches anywhere. To me, Townsend knows more than any of them, but he's coaching for the same reasons I would, to make sure his son doesn't get screwed over....Too bad I stopped coaching.

Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: June 18, 2009 03:10PM

I has a way tew dissaplin playehs
Attachments:
cat-eats-baseball-players.jpg

Date: June 19, 2009 11:55AM

Not me Wrote:
I guess I'll never know the answers to the million questions I have.....

Don't you really just have ONE question?

"Why, oh why, was my son so screwed over?"

I'm just sayin......

Date: June 19, 2009 03:34PM

His son was screwed over because the dad wasn't hovering at every tryout, practice, and game like a majority of the SOCO baseball dads.

Hey Luther, want your car washed?

Date: June 20, 2009 11:26PM

TTT

Date: June 22, 2009 01:11PM

TTT?

Posted by: Expirenced Coach ()
Date: June 22, 2009 02:41PM

I have coached baseball for almost 28 years. I have been involed in baseball since I was 7 I palyed and in college and in the minors to the AA level. I have coached at High School and college levels I won a State championship coaching at High School level, Played and in and coached at the the college world series. I have never heard more Parents complain at any level more than the Virginia High School Level. I do not know Coach Luther nor Townsand But I think this weekend I saw one or both of them coach the Soco travel team. What I saw was two coaches who know the game. My first High schol I had pleasure of coaching my son's both played varsity as frwshman both started. We heard parents say they were only on the team because of me. I told both of my sons to do there talking on the field. My oldest has a college world series ring from RICE. he is now with the AAA Paw Soxs. My second is at LSU and a 2nd team sec player as a sophmore. I do not know Coach Luther's record and I do not agree with him not having a displine team or player, but if he was coaching this weekend the team was displined and well coached. I know and have dealth with several parents who have inflated images of ther kids ability. We call them a human IRA. The truth is 1 palyer in a million even gets a shot. Lets get real I have two more sons and not a day goes by that my youngest who is a fresman in High School does not get e-mails or calls from teams. I have cards of pro scouts that have been handed to him but the truth is he might not even get a shot. My other just signed letter of intent to USC. He might not get a shot. Remenber this is High School and baseball is a game not life and death

Date: June 22, 2009 03:34PM

Great credentials, coach, but if you saw Luther Or Townsend coaching a "SOCO travel team", then they did it against VHSL rules. I know they're trying to change that rule, but as of yet, HS coaches can't coach their teams outside the regular school season. So it was probably not them.

Posted by: Expirenced Coach ()
Date: June 22, 2009 04:01PM

I did not say it was his High School team. It was a 13u travel team. Which is is not aginst the rules. I know because I coach in a program that has several High School coaches involved. I also know of serveral H.S. coaches who have somewhat feeder programs like ours. The players on our teams are from various High Schools not just the schools we coach at.

Date: June 22, 2009 04:58PM

Coach, you and I both know what the rules are, and we both know coaches who skate close to the line. And we both know that even at 13u, there can't be more than 3-4 SOCO-jurisdiction players on that team. Hence, we both know that has nothing to do with how the SOCO HIGH SCHOOL team was led, disciplined, or not, over the last 2-3 years. Don't bullshit a bullshitter, Coach.

Keep doin what you're doin--youth baseball needs more of you. Unless you're Luther that is.

Posted by: get a life ()
Date: June 23, 2009 12:20AM

You guys are losers, stop talking bad about Luther. Grow a pair of balls and stop posting behind a blog name on a stupid website. Im disgusted by all of you. And Blue Balls or whatever your name is, the kid who "claims" MIT wants him (they actually do) doesnt go to SOCO. You are an idiot. Sorry that you all have nothing better to do than rip on a high school baseball coach who devotes his own personal time to develop teenagers while getting paid probably 25 cents per hour

Date: June 23, 2009 09:35AM

Hey "get a life"...what's your name. Seems you're hiding behind an internet screen name. I know personally the BS that Luther pulls. Based on the observations of "Experienced Coach" seems that Luther is up to his old tricks.

You might like Luther becaused your daddy did everything Luther wanted. I don't play that game. Good luck in the real world where daddy can't help.

Luther is bad for HS baseball and needs to find employment elsewhdere.

Posted by: dickhead ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:28AM

Hey Oh Really....what whiny, untalented kid are you referring too who batted .240 for his high school career? There were only a couple of kids (to my knowledge) that were told they'd be great softball players when they got older....and I know the motherfuckers who said that!!! Just wait, I'll run into you eventually.....

Posted by: gggg ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:24PM

u all need to grow up

Date: June 24, 2009 03:26PM

Fairfaxdude: TTT=To The Top (used to refreash a thread)

Posted by: Dad ()
Date: June 25, 2009 03:09PM

Hell, Luther is my only son and even I don't like him.

Posted by: Fire Luther ()
Date: June 26, 2009 01:06PM

Mark Luther...we barely knew ya. Good luck in your next career. The SOCO basball class of 2010 and their parents thanlk you for moving on.

Date: June 26, 2009 05:56PM

fire luther??? Look what's left to choose from. Not any better that's for sure

Date: June 27, 2009 03:03PM

Lyons and Townsend are both lights years ahead of Luther. Heck, even the girls soccer coach would be better.

Posted by: ha ha ()
Date: June 27, 2009 04:39PM

if you look at all the other schools, they have same problems but their parents aren't crying about their kids not playing. That's what this really about.Plus they dont have all these fathers trying to coach their kids.

Date: June 27, 2009 05:27PM

Because of Luther the parents feel the need to constantly hover. If not, their kids get screwed. Luther is crooked and is bad for SOCO baseball and the kids that play and don't play.

SOCO baseball has the worst "daddy ball" I've ever seen, including LL all-stars.

Date: June 27, 2009 06:48PM

I thought this thread was about SOCO players cursing and throwing helmets in HS baseball games, and the head coach's lack of leadership and discipline.

Who gives a shit about all this other crap?

Posted by: Former SC Hawks ()
Date: June 27, 2009 08:45PM

Hey SOCO truth - You must have had some stake in the program to display this much hatred. The guy must do something right. They won two titles, went to a Regional Final, a state semi-final and played in the regional tournament for straight years. You call it "daddy ball" they must call it winning. Oh yes you have never done that before.

Posted by: Umpire ()
Date: June 27, 2009 08:48PM

Coming from the other side of the fence, our association considers South County a very respectable program. We have a pretty good idea since we are at every game.

Date: June 27, 2009 10:30PM

I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread. Thanks to "Umpire" for a different perspective. I know Luther, and frankly don't care for him and his lack of discipline. SOCO looses a ton of talent this year - let's see how Luther does next year...hopefully his last.

Posted by: Blue Blood is an idiot ()
Date: June 28, 2009 12:33AM

you're an idiot. get a life.

Posted by: umpire ()
Date: June 28, 2009 10:06AM

Now I am curious, share some of the examplesof lack of discipline. There was the one at WS but any others?

Posted by: Montpelier ()
Date: June 29, 2009 01:44PM

Does anyone have anything good to say about Luther. Seems like he's kind of slimy and should be doing something else.

Posted by: trust, but verify ()
Date: June 29, 2009 03:02PM

"Expirenced" Coach must be a Republican. He doesn't get that you can check the internet and find out that there aren't players with the same last name on the Rice 2003 roster, the LSU 2009 roster, and the current Pawsox roster. Either he's lying or his kids are so ashamed they changed their last names.

Posted by: VA lifer ()
Date: June 29, 2009 04:37PM

Good research "trust, but verify". I think this whole thread is a bunch of folks spouting off either in favor or against this Luther guy. Doesn't matter how good his record is (remember that HS baseball doesn't matter), if he lets his players cuss and scream, he needs to change or go do somethinmg else.

Posted by: Special Eddie ()
Date: June 29, 2009 04:48PM

I likes Luther Guy. He helpes me on th inner nets. He cute too.
Attachments:
beyourguide.jpg

Posted by: 1st Base ()
Date: June 30, 2009 01:36PM

That dude looks like Sanjaya from American Idol

Posted by: Southren coach ()
Date: July 01, 2009 01:54PM

I too was at the same tournament the 13u SOCO team played. I do not know coach Luther and would not know him if he was standing infront of me. I currently coach High school South of fairfax County I have not encountered the SOCO coach. You are right about the rules about a coach coaching a summer or fall team . VHSL rule do allow coaches to coach if the team is mixed and a certain percentage of the team are from other schools. We all know, and all coaches bend this rule with their AAU teams. The team I watched that represented Soco was a fairly talented team . I do know their coach was highly vocal and might need to back down a bit, but I did not see any displine problems. I was only watching for a few innings. I too have plenty of parents who are quick to voice opinions on how I coach If thay are reasonable I listen if not well their son can sit in the bleachers. In the past years I have actully bounced two players from teams for actions in practice and in the 3rd inning of a game this year after a player argued a call tossed a helmet and bat instructed him to remove his Jersy leave my field and tossed him off the team. His father called the school board and I had to justify my actions. I must say my AD and Princpal backed me 100%. At the H.S level I expect mature players and not little boys. all the players were starters and all finished the season as students not student ath. The one thing I have not read in this blog is anyone confronting Coach Luther. I find it hard to respect people who can not voice their opinions to the person thay have the problem with. I receive quite a few e-mails from moms and dads who disagree with my rules or how I coach. My answer is always the same after practice I will be glad to discuss this with them one on one. Some have taken me up on the offer and when I explain my actions some go away mad some go away understanding. Not all players are Big league materal, and just because they made the team, does not indicate they are the most talented for that position or situation. Before you ask, none of my sons play for me or have ever played for me, Both went to a differnt school and the only time I ever talked to their coach is when we played each other and my son Pitched a 1 hitter aginst us. He did not even make the connection as botyh my sons never told him I coached at County High school.

Posted by: Rulesman:-) ()
Date: July 01, 2009 05:10PM

For informational purposes. A HS coach can coach any team of their choosing provided not more than 1/3 of the roster comes from his/her base school. Grades 9-12 only. Graduated Seniors do not fall into this category nor do rising 7th or 8th graders.

Posted by: Born to be wild ()
Date: July 02, 2009 02:48PM

Luther sucks!!

Date: July 03, 2009 10:32PM

Looks like we have a quorum. Luther is bad with the kids and must go to pasture.

Posted by: Marauder ()
Date: July 11, 2009 06:26PM

I wonder if Luther has any children that will want to play baseball. It would be interesting to see how bad Luther would hover if he wasn't able to coach them.

Date: July 11, 2009 10:34PM

let's fire all of them and start over

Date: July 12, 2009 04:04PM

Only Luther needs to be fired.

Date: July 18, 2009 09:53AM

So is he still there? Updates, people!

Date: July 18, 2009 11:55AM

For another 4 or so years:-)

Posted by: Bland Guy ()
Date: August 08, 2009 09:52AM

It's the middle of Summer and Luther still sucks!

Posted by: Lee Dad ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:07PM

Yes he still sucks. He needs to go back to Hayfield and fix the mess he made when he went to SOCO.

Date: August 09, 2009 09:36PM

Luther can fix anything. He's very adept however at creating messes.

Posted by: fairfaxdudes ()
Date: August 09, 2009 10:17PM

Funny thing is if Luther went back to Hayfield they would probably win a National District title. Lee Dad didn't Luthers last team at Hayfield play for the Regional Championship?

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results."
....Albert Einstein

Date: August 10, 2009 10:58PM

Oh my, a poser.

Imagine that.

Dumbass.

Date: August 10, 2009 11:14PM

All of Hayfield's talent is now at SOCO. What teams are in the National District? Unless its Stuart, Wakefield, Falls Church etc, Luther still couldn't win anything.

Posted by: SC Parent ()
Date: August 11, 2009 07:00AM

How good of a baseball coach is Luther, when he has to send all of his players to winter hitting clinics? Is he not able to teach HS players how to hit the ball?
I think not.

Date: August 12, 2009 09:26PM

Luther just wants kick-backs from all the clinics he wants his players to attend in the off-season. He's slimy, dumb, and a bad coach to boot.

Posted by: we'll take Luther ()
Date: August 12, 2009 09:57PM

Hey you whiners at SOCO - we'll take Luther at TCW. Our coach sucks. Our coach is more interested in what we wear and what managers he can hook up with. A little cursing and throwing helmets is fine with us. We would love to have a coach that actually is more concerned about winning a baseball game, and less concerned about how he looks and if he can get drunk and screw high school girls.

Posted by: SCParent ()
Date: August 13, 2009 07:07PM

we'll take Luther Wrote:
> Hey you whiners at SOCO - we'll take Luther at
> TCW. Our coach sucks. Our coach is more interested
> in what we wear and what managers he can hook up
> with. A little cursing and throwing helmets is
> fine with us. We would love to have a coach that
> actually is more concerned about winning a
> baseball game, and less concerned about how he
> looks and if he can get drunk and screw high
> school girls.

You can have him and his daddy ball staff.

Posted by: we'll take Luther ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:27PM

hey do you really think SoCo is the only team with Daddy Ball? If so, you are a idiot. We have daddy ball plus a coach who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. So get real. At least Coach Luther knows strategy and how to win. doesn't chase your girlfriend around is not concerned with his suntan and teeth whitener what the latest fashion is.

just saying you guys could have it way worse. your coach knows baseball .

daddy's who are sucking up to the coach know their kid sucks

Date: August 15, 2009 08:54AM

So Luther is on his way to TCW?

Date: August 16, 2009 06:53PM

Anywhere but SOCO. He's an embarassment to the profession.

Posted by: SCPlayer ()
Date: August 17, 2009 01:06PM

All players at SOCO know that Luther plays favorites.It is all about what parents can do for Luther.

Posted by: HS player ()
Date: August 17, 2009 02:40PM

If it is so painful at SOCO - why don't you (or your kid) just quit? Why put up with it if it is so bad? You hide behind these boards - I bet you have never spoken to the coach in person have you. Big man. Wuss.

Date: August 17, 2009 03:59PM

these whiny bitches are embarrassments to parenting... your boy ain't good enough. move on...

Date: August 21, 2009 11:30AM

Use to be a Luther backer but no more. He needs to go and so does the rest of the staff, Start over

Posted by: tcw ()
Date: August 21, 2009 05:20PM

hey we'll take luther, shut the hell up. im at tc and you can suck one. did we not just have one of the greatest seasons in history of our school? i hope your bitchass doesnt see the field you scrub

Posted by: we'll take luther ()
Date: August 21, 2009 07:48PM

Hey TCW - I heard the coach got your girlfriend drunk and screwed her in south carolina. her underware smelled like skoal and he left a orange streak on her from his fake tan. I think all the coaches passed her around like a crack pipe he scrapped his knuckle while trying to fight off the other coaches. too bad loser. and no you won't see me on the field dickhead. hahahahaha

Posted by: Tcwesuckbigtime ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:49PM

greatest season in school history ? Your are f'g joke - YOU GUYs SUCK and so does your nancy coach. SoCo beat your ass, so did WS, so did LB oh and you guys got beat by Westpo and Hayfield.

Yeah, def something to brag about. What a loser.

Date: August 22, 2009 12:35AM

so we'll take luther why dont you tell me your name? why wont you see me on the field?

and tcwsuckbigtime-suck one

Date: August 22, 2009 12:43AM

What girlfriend anyway? you tool you have no idea what happened. probably because youre an asshole parent or because you were on jv because you suck

Posted by: Hitnrun ()
Date: August 22, 2009 12:56PM

Some of you may know me from hsbaseball web where i had ridiculous opinions about tcw baseball's staff. I'm here to attempt to redeem myself in the eyes of tcw parents and players. We didn't actually loose to hayfield but we did loose to west po. that loss was clearly on the coaches because the team really played well in that game. If coach luther is being offered the tcw job id like to throw my name in for consideration. its obvious i have lots of free time on my hands from all of the times iv posted in the past.

* views expressed in this post reflect only those of a insane parent and are not backed by anyone affiliated with tcw baseball

Foreskin

Date: August 24, 2009 09:33PM

Hey tcw - please come and take Luther. I'll even pay for postage.

Then truth and nothing but the truth

Date: August 25, 2009 12:40AM

you guys should be glad to have Luther, he's a winning coach who does what needs to be done to win ballgames. he's also one of the nicest men ive ever met. we dont need a new coach, sorry. ours has done miracles for our program

Posted by: Brown nose at SOCO ()
Date: August 26, 2009 06:29AM

TCW, I wonder if Luther stops short your nose will be up his ass.

Posted by: Amazed ()
Date: August 26, 2009 05:24PM

I'm a coach in the region and am amazed at all the banter. I've lived in Fairfax a long time and know how passionate people are about high school sports, but SOCO and TC both have good, quality coaches, one a veteran and one a good up and comer who is only going into his second year for crying out loud. As I remember, both teams made the regionals. There can only be one champion. I've sat in at meetings with them and they both support their players 110%, they don't say anything negative about any of them. And I have never seen any player not give 110% for them. Those TC kids bust their butts down to first on ground outs whether they're up by 10 or down by 10. Trust me "we'll take Luther", if you don't want your coach, there are plenty of schools that do. There are more schools than there are good coaches, and hes one of them. And I dont understand the SOCO problem. This post has been on here a long time. It isnt right to anonymously slander a man like this. Coaching is basically a volunteer job. Tell me what you volunteer year-round for...on weeknights, weekends, in rain, heat, etc.

Keep in mind that you never see coaches on here blasting players or parents. It could go both ways, but it never does. Some of you should consider taking the high road, and contact your coaches directly with complaints instead of acting tough behind a screenname. Not just SOCO and TC, but all schools and activities.

Posted by: Player ()
Date: August 27, 2009 10:04AM

To Brown Nose at Soco,

I played with Luther last summer and he was one of the best coaches Ive ever had. Clearly it paid off because this season I was first team all region, so he did something right, yes I do attribute some of my success to him.

And to Amazed,

Thank you for saying all that, youre absolutely right, these coaches dont get paid and they probably lose money because they sacrifice their own lives to coach kids. I have no problem putting my name out there, so all you complainers out there need to put a name next to what youre saying. Grow a pair.

Date: August 29, 2009 10:43PM

Player - what's your name - who said you have no problem putting your name out there. Grow a pair and tell us. I know all the SOCO players - can't wait to hear yours.

Posted by: SC Player ()
Date: August 29, 2009 11:42PM

I am on the team at SC and I don't have one problem with Luther, if he played favorites we wouldn't have won as many games as we did. Luther is a good coach and wants to win.

Date: August 29, 2009 11:59PM

How much did your daddy have to pay to ensure your spot (just kidding). That's why this thread never dies. Luther frequently plays favorites to those kids whose daddies can do something for him. The whole Grasso / Gharib scenario proves that in spades.

Posted by: Real Truth ()
Date: August 30, 2009 07:45AM

This thread will never die. Luther does play favorites and everybody knows it at SOCO.If you want you kid to make the team you better get your check book out.

Posted by: Cookin Wit The Neeley's ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:48AM

This die will never thread. Play does Luther favorites and it at everybody SOCO. Better kid you want make if the check you team book your out.

Posted by: Player ()
Date: August 30, 2009 09:36PM

Im not on soco...

Posted by: BB Coach ()
Date: August 31, 2009 12:42PM

I love the people who say or ask how much did your daddy pay to have you on the team or play. You would think if that were true these people who say this would be the first people running to write a check to have their kid play.
The truth is this some of your kids are not as talented as some other kids.
The position they are trying to play is not suited for them but they refuse to try anywhere else becuase Daddy who coached them for most of their life has told them they are the next Jeter.
The hardest decisions I have had to make was cutting players. That is why before try outs, I have a meeting with every parents and tell them the cold hard facts. I have for fall ball 55 players In the spring,I will have at least that many. Not to mention 10 or so Football players who are returning baseball players. My Jv team will have 7 position varsity 4 That is 11 positions for my guess is 60 to 65 kids who try out. When I meet with the parents they know this from the start. I then ask them to take their son out of the equation and see if they would like to have to tell 54 player they did not make it.Before you ask or comment I do not just post a list, I tell the players face to face they have not made the team. THis is more than you did with Coach luther.

Date: September 01, 2009 01:11PM

BB Coach- are you Luther? If so, you're a liar. If not, good luck to your team next Spring.

Posted by: bb Coach ()
Date: September 01, 2009 02:12PM

I am not Luther nor have I met or played aginst him. I do not coach in the same distrct. I just know what coachs deal with. I would love to have a chance to play SOCO. Based on what I have heard the team is highly competitive. I do know a former student from SOCO who when I showed them this, said " We loved coach Luther he made the baseball team win" No this was not a former player it was a student .. I think his winning record should speak as to what kind of a coach he is, and I get the feeling the people who do not like him have been told they are not the right person to play on his team, or refused to work on their short comings to try and make the team. When I cut players I give them a reason why. The coaches I have talked to who know Coach Luther have nothing but praise so I think like most coaches he would do the same. Two things I have learned the coaches and umps who sit in the bleachers are always perfect in their mind. My wife and younger Child got upset listening to peole watching a game talk about me once. I told her , calmly if they are as good as they think then why are they on that side of the fence and not this.

Posted by: Get Real ()
Date: September 01, 2009 03:38PM

bb Coach Wrote:
> I do know a
> former student from SOCO who when I showed them
> this, said " We loved coach Luther he made the
> baseball team win" No this was not a former
> player it was a student

Sounds like a real reliable (and manly!) source. And if my wife and child were upset over comments made about me I'd be in someone's face.

Date: September 02, 2009 11:17PM

BB Coach - People are not on your side of the fence because HS baseball coaches don't get paid sh.. For Luther that's OK - for others, it depends on if they're more concerned about their won/loss record or developing the character of young men. Luther is more concerned about the former. That's why so many SOCO folks want him out.

Posted by: Rules ()
Date: September 03, 2009 05:57AM

Luther has always had two sets of rules. One for his favorites where he does nothing and one for the rest of the team where he cracks the whip.

Posted by: BB coach ()
Date: September 03, 2009 01:40PM

First Off If I did get in someones face for words said, about me which my wife over heard, I would then have dropped to the level of behavior which started this thred. As for those who believe at the High School sports level it is not about wins and losses, you are living in a dream world. I would also ask if you are a parent. If so and you are worried about the character of the young men what have you been doing for the first 15 years to foster good character. You would also be foolish to think I change a kid in 10 hours a week for a few months. I am not their father and I have solution to bad sports and palyers with attitude towards me umps or fans They leave. I have sent starters bench players, and actully fired coaches for this. They are no longer a part of my team. Thery can try out next year and I have several J.V and freshman palyers who I can bring up. As for the pay you are right we do not get much for me this is not a problem. I give my stipen to the bosters.

Date: September 05, 2009 10:16AM

BB Coach - the problem is that the players take on the personality and demeanor of their coach. Luther sets a horrible example, and that's why his players frequently act like asses during games. Please keep in mind that HS baseball wins and losses DO NOT MATTER. It's not life and death. It's about preparing kids to become better citizens through teamwork and discipline.

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: September 05, 2009 12:49PM

First off as a coach, you are judged on a few things

1. Win/Loss Record
2. PLayer Development ( physically, psychologically, and socially)
3. Help young people have fun

For all you parents has Luther not had a good win/loss record? How many players has he sent to college to play college ball? and how many players hve developed as a person.

Most of the people on here are upset because their son doesnt play at SOCO or got cut. Yes, there are times where Luther is a little over the edge, but you know what that goes back to the VHSL. I know college coaches have a code of conduct where they have to follow, which if they get ejected they have sit out and pay fines.

My one thing I will say to you parents and kids, is that if you think Luther is so bad, then why dont you try and coach. Having a winning team, sending players to college, and helping players develop. While having a family in the process

Date: September 05, 2009 01:10PM

Coach - about becoming educated so you don't have to coach. Try running your own company, meeting payroll, delivering for your customers etc. Give me a break. Coaching a team is a joke compared to real world business. Luther is also a joke in how he develops the character of his players. If any of my employees acted like his players, I's show them the door very quickly.

Once again, who cares about the W/K of a HS team. IT"S HIGH SCHOOL - it doesn't matter.

Date: September 05, 2009 01:18PM

Its people like you who make sports seem like a joke.

Yous sit here and say it's high school baseball so who cares. Well he thousands and thousands of coaches who coach high school sports must care.

Comparing coaching to your joke of a business??? give me a break. I bet either your kid got cut or didnt even make the team. So I guess that gives you the right to sit back and bash luther because he is coaching and he didnt have your son on his team.

I would love to see you parents try and run a team of 15-18 high school boys and see how you do.

It is not the coaches responbility to guide your son on the right and wrong way to act. If he soco players act like ass holes then you parents must not be doing a great job.

Letting your kids go out to parties to drink, letting skip school, etc..

I think before you parents get on here and bash us coaches then you guys need to sit back and evaluate your own "coaching" of your kids.

Seth Jordan acted like an ass because his parents let him act like that and never corrected him.

Nick Digby never acted like that because I bet his parents would not allow him to make a fool of himself and his parents.

Date: September 07, 2009 12:53AM

Coach - HS sports are not a joke as long they are a teaching mechanism for our future leaders. You sound like Luther's "mini me" when you pull the usual coach BS that it's anybody's fault but the coach's.

My son played for Luther and I've spoken with him on numerous occasions, Hence my disdain for him.

You sound like a fool when you say its so hard to run a team of 15-18 year old boys. Grow up. Most parents of kids on SOCO's BB team could easily do better than Luther. Mr. Jordan...not so much.

It's time to understand that HS athletics are for the kids and not the coaches.

Date: September 07, 2009 03:30AM

Anybdoy can get out there and be a "coach" but its the good ones who know how to relate to the kids and have them perform.

You sit back and say its high school sports, well what are you going to be saying when your son is sitting the bench for a college team, if he plays in college. You going to blame the coach there?

It's time for the parents to grow a sack and start raising their kids the right way. If I ever had a son who acted like Seth Jordan, I would not have coach due anything. I would walk right on2 that field and yank him myself. I feel deep down, that is the parents job to control the kid. You can sit back and say the kids just follow Luther, thats F*n BullS*t. If the parents did a good enough job raising their kids, they would know how to act in public.

If Luther wants to make a fool of himself and his family then let him. There's nothing the Soccer Mom's and Couch Potato Dad's can do about it.

For the people who say its High School, do you not realize that this is maybe what majority of the high school coaches want to do??

SOCO Truth, what would you do if a customer came to you, or better yet, hid behind a sn and bashed you? would you give in and give them their money back or fold your business all because they didnt like the way you handled something?

My advice to you- go coach at South County Little League, win yourself a AA League Championship and say your a better coach than Luther, Pudge, Rowland, Gallagher, James, etc....

And I understand what your saying about its for the kids, but isnt every level for the kids? I have told plenty of teams and kids that I have worked with, if your going to watch a game, dont watch MLB because they play the wrong way.
Did you ever think that maybe Seth Jordan acted the way he did because
1. His parents were pushover and let him do what he wanted as he pleased
2. Saw Luther act a certain way and figured he might as well cuz hes the big shot
3. Maybe his favorvite MLB players is a total ass

Just a thought

Pages: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 5

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.