HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
how many miles over the speed can you drive before the state or county police will give you a speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)
Posted by: new_VA_gal ()
Date: September 18, 2008 04:09PM

new to northern VA... just wondering how tolerant the cops here are :)

how many miles over the speed can you drive before the state or county police will give you a speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)

for example: 62mph in 55mph? or 72 in 65mph?

:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many miles over the speed can you drive before the state or county police will give you a speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)
Posted by: hey ()
Date: September 18, 2008 04:18PM

It really depends on the highways I get away with going 15 over in a big group of traffic... On regular roads i get away with 10 over.... But i don't push it

Re: how many miles over the speed can you drive before the state or county police will give you a speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)
Date: September 18, 2008 04:23PM

1. Obey all traffic laws.

2. Allow faster moving traffic to pass. Slower moving traffic should keep to the right.

3. There is no single answer to your question. It depends on so many different factors that it is unreasonable to even attempt to answer this question with specific numbers. Your best bet is to look at the Virginia traffic laws and figure out how much of a penalty is associated with the violation of speeding for 10 miles per hour over the limit vs 20 miles per hour over the limit vs 30... etc. I don't know how they break it down, but in other states, police would be more lenient to someone going 9 mph over than they would to someone going 11mph over because the revenue they would draw in for that 10-19mph violation would be much greater than a 1-9mph violation. On the other hand, if the police have nothing else to do that day... or 9mph was the fastest they had seen in half an hour sitting in the same spot for an hour... then perhaps it is your unlucky day going 64 in a 55.

4. In many instances your speed will be limited by the flow of traffic. Northern Virginia suffers from heavy congestion during rush hours. If you are weaving in and out of traffic at 56mph while the rest of traffic is crawling along at 45, you may be pulled over for endangering others even if it is a 55 zone. If it is 11pm on a sunday and you're on the beltway, it is not uncommon to find yourself speeding along at 70mph while still being passed by people.

5. Drive safely, and have a nice day.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 18, 2008 07:28PM

Only thing I can you for sure is: The cops set up often in front of my house and I have observed and talked to them a few times.

The speed limit is 25 mph. You get a ticket at 38 mph and above. I don't know if that is true at any other speed trap location, but that's what they do here.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 18, 2008 09:01PM

In a pack you should be fine going speed of traffic. That is technically safer anyway, as differing speeds by vehicles on a highway are more dangerous than everyone going the same speed. Stay to the right in the pack though... leave the left-laners for the police if they decide to pick someone out in a pack to pull over. This happens often on weekends more south on I-95, when the flow of traffic can hit 75 or 80. If you are in a pack of thirty cars, the chances they pick you out are small, but the chance is there.

When driving alone or in very sparse traffic, I personally don't go more than five or six miles over.

If you choose to go slower than the flow of traffic, no matter what the speed limit it, please stay to the right.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: September 19, 2008 12:56AM

> If you choose to go slower than the flow of traffic,
> no matter what the speed limit it,
> please stay to the right.

This is difficult to do when being passed on both
sides because everyone else is driving 5-15 mph
over the limit (even in the rightmost lane).

I'm not talking about the dangerous weaving crazy
assholes who are trying to kill everyone, I just
mean really everyone driving way over the posted limit.

In that situation, I try to speed up to match the traffic,
which as someone already noted, is the safest thing to do.

Posted by: teflon ()
Date: September 19, 2008 07:26AM

If you're by yourself on the road, I would say 7-8mph over max.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 19, 2008 09:54AM

The pack idea may not work. I had a buddy of mine who was following three trucks that were going 75 in a 55 mph zone. The trooper pulled over my buddy.

When he complained about how come the trooper singled him out, the trooper said I clock every ten cars, your car was number ten.

Date: September 19, 2008 11:23AM

Plus it is well known that cops will pull over a passenger vehicle before bothering with a truck. If most of your "pack" is semis, back off and let a better pack catch up to you.

Date: September 19, 2008 02:24PM

in FFX Cnty, motor units (the guys on motorcycles) won't usually write tickets unless you are more than 15 - 20 mph above the posted limit on larger, median separated roadways. On a 35 mph or lower posted road, their lenient/limit is usually 10 mph. However, the motor guys DO have to write tickets, that is all they do, and they are very efficient at doing it, so if you are ever pulled over by a motor unit, you're probably going too fast for the conditions anyway and you're probably going to get the ticket.

Traffic enforcement units (guys/gals in cars) have a much lower threshold, based on road surface and traffic congestion conditions. One other point, police officers are trained to "cycle" observation tactics for speeders, so it's possible for them to say in court when asked by defending counsel or the judge "how can you be sure that the defendants car is the one you were painting with LIDAR/RADAR" they can say "I only paint every 3rd, or every 4th, or very 10th vehicle, and his/hers was the 3rd/4th/10th one."

Just don't speed. You people haven't been trained how to handle a high-speed vehicle anyway. For instance, look at your hand positions. When you hit someone from behind because you are speeding, texting, talking on the phone and daydreaming about winning the lottery and chucking this rat race life, that hand you have placed on the top of the steering wheel will be blown into the bridge of your nose, breaking it cleanly in two by your air bag when it deploys and, due to said air bag deployment, you'll have a great and permanent imprint of your overpriced watch on your forehead...don't get me started on what happens to your face and head if you have two hands on the wheel at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions or your arms is crossed in front of you...

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 19, 2008 03:21PM

When in Herndon, don't speed at all.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: September 19, 2008 08:55PM

Up to 10 over most cops don't care about, of course depends on cop and if they want to pull you over for something else.

Posted by: A Friend ()
Date: September 19, 2008 10:10PM

Haven't read any of the above,no time, driving fast...so winging it.

Basically, stay aware of your surroundings. If you see the truckers slow down....hello....slow the f down....

Don't overdrive the highway. Everyone knows that is stupid.

Also. slow down around toll booths. The workers in there don't want to be crashed in to. Radar will get you....LOL!! Really funny... Big ticket...LOL

Posted by: confused ()
Date: September 19, 2008 10:37PM

speaking of speeding tickets......................

how do I even know if my speedometer is correct? (a 10 year old car)

thanks!

Posted by: Dr. Pepper () ()
Date: September 19, 2008 11:06PM

I agree with many of the previous posts. It really depends on the particular officer and what amount of discretion he or she will apply.

Speaking from personal experience, I think 10 over is reasonable in a 45 mph zone or higher. I would expect, and would subscribe to a lower threshold in a 25 zone, especially a school zone during school hours.

Couple of things to consider: When Road Shark or Smooth Operator campaigns are in effect (they usually put out press releases about these initiatives) expect lower "thresholds". Again, speaking to discretion, I have seen people in court for rediculous speeds like 2-5 over the limit (mostly state troopers).

As for Confused's question about the calibration - an auto shop should be able to check it out for you (?)

Posted by: ss ()
Date: September 19, 2008 11:23PM

I know for a fact if you set you cruise control 10 miles over the speed limit on a highway posted for 55 or 65 your safe. You can go 5 mph more but you are pushing it depending on how the trooper or cop is feeling.
In residential respect the speed. It's not worth hitting a child.

Posted by: itsme333 ()
Date: September 19, 2008 11:35PM

confused Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> speaking of speeding
> tickets......................
>
> how do I even know if my speedometer is correct?
> (a 10 year old car)
>
>
> thanks!

have a friend drive his car in front of yours. keep a steady distance behind him.

while y'all are doing this, call him and ask him what his speedometer says

Date: September 20, 2008 08:37AM

itsme333 Wrote:
> have a friend drive his car in front of yours.
> keep a steady distance behind him.
>
> while y'all are doing this, call him and ask him
> what his speedometer says

What if his is wrong and yours is right?

Posted by: why me ()
Date: September 20, 2008 09:20AM

You can always use a GPS to check your speed.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 23, 2008 02:13AM

new_VA_gal Wrote:
> new to northern VA... just wondering how tolerant
> the cops here are :)
>
> how many miles over the speed can you drive before
> the state or county police will give you a
> speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)
>
> for example: 62mph in 55mph? or 72 in 65mph?
>
> :)

It depends. If you are in a school zone, and the amber hazard lights are flashing, you better stick to the limit like glue. Otherwise, you are typically allowed a 5 MPH leeway, as speedometers can vary from vehicle-to-vehicle, and can be affected by such things as wheel size, tire width, tire inflation, etc. On major highways, your leeway is a little more. 7 over like you stated shouldn't even get you noticed if you're on a major roadway, or in that Toll-Road traffic that's flying by at 80 +. Watch out though, going over 80 anywhere in this state, or NC/SC for example, is reckless driving regardless of the limit.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: September 23, 2008 04:34AM

I did in fact see a guy in court once trying to fight a five over ticket, 30 in a school zone. The officer swore to the speed and the guy lost. I agree to the "stick like glue" comment above.

Posted by: JR ()
Date: September 23, 2008 08:07AM

I learned this in traffic school back in LA.

How to never get a speeding ticket or at least 99% chance you never will:

1. Keep it no higher that 10-15mph over
2. Never be the fastest car around you, second fastest is fine
3. Never hang out, unless you are going to pass, in the number 1 lane or far left lane.
4. Maintain you car as not to draw attention to yourself.

Pretty basic.

Posted by: dogbert0000 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 08:34AM

For whatever it's worth, earlier this year I had a conversation with a Fairfax County police officer (an officer assigned to traffic enforcement, no less). He told me that their general orders (a set of standing instructions to all officers) don't permit them to stop a driver for speeding if the measured speed is less than ten miles per hour over the limit. He further indicated that "a lot of officers will give you more than that." This was a friendly conversation (we met at an event we both attended, not because of a traffic stop), so he had no reason to be misleading.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some exceptions to this rule (school zones, for example). And if they do pull someone over after clocking them at 10+ MPH over the limit, they're certainly permitted to write a ticket for a lower speed (though he indicated that a cooperative driver is more likely to get a "failure to obey a traffic sign" ticket from him than a lower speed). Finally, keep in mind that the general orders he spoke of apply ONLY to the Fairfax County police; state police and the various town police forces have their own rules, about which I know nothing. But I'm pretty sure that as far as FCPD is concerned, the answer is 10 MPH.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:58AM

I got the 'failure to obey a traffic sign' ticket from a FFX cop while going 17 over in a 35 zone (123 just north of FFX City) ... so I guess I must have passed his 'jerk test.'

Doesn't the state get the fine and the county get the processing fee?

I'd recommend never going 10 over. In a long stretch where it's easy to speed and the limit is 35 or higher (such as 123 just north of FFX City), I set cruise to 5-8 over unless the school zone lights are flashing. In that case, hell, I'll go five under the limit.

On a residential zone I'll stick to 25 and slow down if I hit 30. I've heard Vienna is pretty trigger-happy when it comes to that sort of thing ...

Posted by: youcunt ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:13PM

Go the fuck back to 3rd world, you dumb bitch. You can't be this fucking stupid.

new_VA_gal Wrote:
>
>
>

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: October 03, 2008 02:51AM

youcunt Wrote:
> Go the fuck back to 3rd world, you dumb bitch.
> You can't be this fucking stupid.
>
> new_VA_gal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > new to northern VA... just wondering how
> tolerant
> > the cops here are :)
> >
> > how many miles over the speed can you drive
> before
> > the state or county police will give you a
> > speeding ticket? (on 55mph or 65mph roads)
> >
> > for example: 62mph in 55mph? or 72 in 65mph?
>
> >
> > :)

So now anyone not from the NOVA area is from the third world, and they're a bitch?

Wow, yourcunt, you have some issues about uneducated illegal immigrants threatening your retail or other unskilled job.

I'm sorry. You should have gone to college and gotten a job that illegal immigrants couldn't easily take away from you. That's your own damn fault.

You probably also blame everyone else because your mortgage just jumped from $900 a month to $3,000 a month, and you only take home $2,200 a month. It's those damn brown people, those fucking illegals. They did that to you!

Posted by: c ()
Date: February 19, 2009 08:52PM

Watch out when driving down Rt 17 from 301 into Tappahaonnock,VA. The judge is a moron. I was passing in a 60 mile an hour double lane divided highway zone. Opps, doing 72. Everyone else in court was doing 75, 78, 82, 86. .IF they plead guilty they got some kind of break.
Pleading innocent-.No prior tickets, no record, trying to explain, saying that the law allows you to exceed to pass- because I tell him that my dad - a policeman - told me that you can exceed to pass.idiot judge says you can NOT and he gives me court costs and driving school .
Driving School????? Yeah, I am going to learn alot, never having had a ticket in over 37 years.....
Okay, try passing someone by doing the same speed limit and see who behind you wants to ram you or shoot you. Guess if you are in a one buggy town and not sophiscated enough to drive in a metropolitan area, you can do that.Perhaps the judge should go back to law school.
Interestingly enough, my brothers girlfriend was driving 55 in the passing lane on 495 and got pulled over by a state trooper because she WAS doing 55 in the passing lane. He was HOT. When she told him that her brother-in Law worked in internal affairs and had called her to tell her that there was an accident ahead, he let her go.... Go figure...
My "little minded" judge did not appreciate hearing that either.
Well, I suppose that is The stimulus package in Tappahannock. Keep the fines coming in and the judge employed.
So watch out for the state troopers on Rt 17 , they are keeping the ecomomy going.

Posted by: Eh 2cents- ()
Date: February 20, 2009 02:51AM

Once got a 65 in a 35- residential zone, pig on bike gave me 45 and no aggressive driving or driving school.

WHAT-EVER

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 20, 2009 07:12AM

just slow down!

Posted by: mary ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:24AM

I got pulled over on 66 for going to slow!
I was in the left lane, HOV doing 58 and a state trooper pulled me over because the cars behind me where on my butt, he told me that he was not telling me to go faster but the left land was the fast lane. I responed and told him I was doing the speed limit and he asked me to move out of the HOV Fast lane so cars to continue on.
So Bascially what he was telling me was DRIVE FASTER! Does this make any sense.
I was obeying hte law and got pulled over :)

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:32AM

I don't care if you're obeying the law or not, but staying in the left lane and blocking faster traffic behind you creates a dangerous situation and is an extremely poor way of driving. I'm glad you got pulled over. Learn how to drive and stay in the right lane.

mary Wrote:
> I got pulled over on 66 for going to slow!
> I was in the left lane, HOV doing 58 and a state
> trooper pulled me over because the cars behind me
> where on my butt, he told me that he was not
> telling me to go faster but the left land was the
> fast lane. I responed and told him I was doing the
> speed limit and he asked me to move out of the HOV
> Fast lane so cars to continue on.
> So Bascially what he was telling me was DRIVE
> FASTER! Does this make any sense.
> I was obeying hte law and got pulled over :)

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: February 20, 2009 10:17AM

1 mile per hour per every dollar you want to spend plus court costs. Thats how many miles over the speed limit you can Speed.

Posted by: hatemary ()
Date: February 21, 2009 10:16PM

mary you are the most hated retard driver in nova. get out of the left lane. outside of too many people on the roads, you are the cause of frustration.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: February 22, 2009 10:21AM

new_VA_gal Wrote:
>
>
>

Let's find out...

One... A two-HOOOOOooooo... A three. *crunch*

Three.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Bobsworld ()
Date: February 25, 2009 11:46AM

On 95, 395, 495 or 66: 75+ will get you a summons. 73 or above may, depending on the Trooper get you stopped. Personally I usually look for 80+ however I'm a nice guy. I have seen Fairfax officers in court who write 59 in a 50 on the parkway. Here is a good rule of thumb, 15 over is too fast no matter the speed limit.

Posted by: wuht ()
Date: February 25, 2009 12:00PM

MrMephisto Wrote:

> Let's find out...
>
> One... A two-HOOOOOooooo... A three. *crunch*
>
> Three.

yeah eat tootsie roll pops and watch porn owl cartoons where they lick sticks with balls on them.

Posted by: Velo ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:11PM

last November, I got a speeding ticket for doing 62mph on Dulles toll road.
(the speed liimit is 55mph)

I drive from Herdon into DC on the Toll Road and I-66 daily, but fortunately
not during rush hours, so there's usually very little traffic. I usually
use cruise control and set it at 100km/h. I came from metric country...
100km/h is 62mph.

when the officer flashed the lights, my truck has been on cruise control for
probably 5 minutes and at exactly 62mph. I told the officer that. I figured
62mph was no biggie. WRONG! I had just freely admitted that I was going 7mph
above the speed limit.

Long story short... I later paid the fine and put it behind me... :(

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 27, 2009 03:07PM

Is the speed limit 62? No? Then don't say that's what you were doing.

"Hello Officer, yes, I was speeding, but because it wasn't REALLY fast you shouldn't give me a ticket."

Like well, I only stole something cheap, so that doesn't count?

If you had kept your mouth shut he probably would have only given you a warning.

Posted by: asshat ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:56AM

it depends on a few things- if the roads are busy, keep with the flow of traffic, this is usualy 10-15 miles over the limit, you should be fine unless you stick out. If its an empty road, i wouldnt go more than 5-10 miles over the limit. A cop can pull you over for just about anything, just make sure that you blend in to the crowd if youre going to speed

Posted by: BS ()
Date: December 07, 2009 04:23PM

I think it is all BS. I believe they single out people.. Twice I was going with the flow of traffic and got ticketed. I was only going 9mph over in 55mph rural divided. Just getting off highway.. Look at speedometer and it said 45mph yet the cop pulled me over and said I was doing 75mph. I guess he thinks Im so dumb I don't know how 75mph feel. Just don't get picked out of a flow of traffic. Remember the have a quota to feel and they will use you to do it.

Posted by: nyynym25 ()
Date: December 07, 2009 04:46PM

Depends. I passed a trooper outside of richmond on 95 over the summer going about 85, he pulled out of the median, but never pulled me over. But, I once recieved a ticket in greenbriar for going 30 in a 25.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.