HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Border Cafe
Posted by: ModMike ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:26PM

Anyone know why Border Cafe closed? They had good food, they were reasonably cheap.. granted they were empty most of the time.. but I kinda miss it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Border Cafe
Posted by: WHYTHEYCLOSED ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:46PM

I believe several customers found rats and fecies in their foods and around the sitting areas.

Date: December 13, 2007 10:47PM

Really? Last inspection listed on the Health Department's website is August 24. Either the website just isn't updated, or there's another reason...

Posted by: KayKay ()
Date: December 14, 2007 08:48AM

The best thing that came out of the kitchen in that place was the chips, salsa and a cold beer. They had SHIT for food. They used the same spice on every dish which was WAY over spiced!

Remember, just MY personal thoughts on the place. We can agree to disagree.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 14, 2007 01:54PM

I hope the replace it with on the border, that would kick ass.

Posted by: Huh, ()
Date: December 17, 2007 11:29AM

Did they really find fecoes and stuff in the food? If so I am happy they closed...

Posted by: disappointed ()
Date: January 02, 2008 11:42AM

As boring as this may be, Border Cafe was my New Year's getaway, which turned out to be especially shitty when you get there to see they are closed..FOREVER! What a disappointment. I loved their happy hour margaritas..el cheapo!!! My Centreville dining experience is never to be the same.

Posted by: mickey ()
Date: January 02, 2008 05:15PM

i ate there once. didnt like it. thing is, they didnt even tell the employees they were closing. my best friends little brother worked there. he went to work one night, then had the next night off, but had someone call him to cover for him. when he got there there was a note on the door saying they were closed. that kinda sucks.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: January 03, 2008 08:42PM

I almost ate there once. There was a terrible cover band playing... I ran.

Posted by: Bummed ()
Date: February 05, 2008 03:58PM

I'm bummed, they had good food at reasonable prices and great Margaritas. Oh well, I guess it is back to waiting for two hours to eat at any of the shitty chain restaurants around here...

Posted by: Shelly ()
Date: February 07, 2008 04:51PM

I heard they closed because the owners were tired of constantly losing money on the place. The place was almost always full, so I don't know how true that is, though...

Posted by: Tanya ()
Date: February 07, 2008 05:04PM

I don't understand how the place just closed out of the blue like that. It was always plenty of people there after 5pm. The Happy Hour was the best. As far as the money they supposedly was losing; that makes no sense at all considering pretty much every professional office building on Trinity Pkwy went there. It was popular due to the fact that if you worked in the circle Happy Hour was extended to 9PM price wise. Plus by one appetizer get the other free...definitely couldn't have been losing money there! Approx. 3 weeks prior to their close our company of 100+ people had a celebration luncheon which I'm sure grossed lots of revenue...oh well.

Posted by: FGD ()
Date: February 07, 2008 08:39PM

Listen, I think they're pricing was way outa whack.

My wife and I used to hit their happy hour and buy a good bottle of Australian white
for $6.

I never priced it at the grocery, but this was not bad chardonnay.

IMO, they just ran a sloppy P&L and they ultimately paid for it.

Posted by: worker ()
Date: February 23, 2008 06:23PM

I did work at Border Cafe up until it closed as a server. The prices were Way cheap and we really didnt fill the place up every night.
I remember quite a few nights where i got sent home because there wasnt enough tables for the number of servers there.
I had tables of 5 or 6 that would all get sandwiches or salads and the check would be under 40$.
Overall they closed because of bad confused management and poor income. We also never advertised.....
i do remember one time a scorpion was found near the chips. aparently we got our wood from texas and it snuck in with it. lol

Posted by: recent employee ()
Date: February 23, 2008 06:25PM

They didn't even give notice to employees. Showed up to work open day, they said, go home, we are closing permanently. They didn't even have the sense to tell us the night before, or call in the morning, so I didn't waste my time heading into work. Inconsiderate, inconvenient, and right before Christmas. Oh well, with the cheap prices there and for the most part bad tipping, I'm glad to be out of there!

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:02PM

Posted by: Derek ()
Date: May 04, 2008 12:26PM

I worked there and it wasn't because of rat droppings, it closed because it was a company with a headquarters located in the northern part of the courntry and the restaurant in VA was too much of a reach for them to keep up on.

Date: June 19, 2008 08:55PM

Rowsdower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coming soon....
>
> http://www.austingrill.com/austingrillee/

The new Austin Grill sucks.

Food and service were bad and more expensive then Border Cafe' and there was a large bug on the ceiling above the table which looked similar to a roach.

Posted by: cville ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:05PM

Wow..such a positive review. I've been twice and it's been great both times.

Maybe you should stick to eating Hot Pockets in your parents basement.

Date: June 23, 2008 02:17PM

Yeah.. I've been there two or three times as well, and I enjoyed it. The service has been decent, the bartenders are really nice, and the food (imho) is great. Nothing ultra-fancy, just good, filling Tex-Mex.

Posted by: been there 2 ()
Date: June 24, 2008 09:43PM

the new austin grille does suck, had a huge bone in my chicken quesadillas. It is just not as tasty that way...

Date: June 24, 2008 11:40PM

cville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow..such a positive review. I've been twice and
> it's been great both times.
>
> Maybe you should stick to eating Hot Pockets in
> your parents basement.

Ummm, ok next time I will lie.

Date: June 24, 2008 11:42PM

Just went to Austin Grill and got an awesome, inexpensive meal with great service and it was super clean.

Recommend the Hot Pocket in a Hot Pocket. (my back hurts)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.