HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: Winnie ()
Date: August 02, 2005 02:04PM

Has anyone lived in C'ville as long as I have, when we had that old country-western club (like Bob's Country Bunker in Blues Brothers) called the Parters 2? I can remember my friend's dad was a county cop and was FOREVER busting up fights over there. It stuck around until I was in high school in the late 80s then it closed down and was delapitated for a while before the building was torn down. It was on Lee Highway right before Union Mill road.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 04, 2005 11:27AM

I remember Partners 2... Centrevilles country western counterpart to Sullys. Beer was always flowing, and if you had enough pitchers of it you might even go home with one of the "women" in there. (bad idea!)

Good place to go if you were *under age*.

Date: August 04, 2005 01:55PM

I believe that's why they closed down... serving minors.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: August 13, 2005 08:08PM

Wow....that brought back memories. I remember the sign out front...it used to be where the shell station is, but further back, right?

My ex-bf's dad was a FFX (Fair Oaks) Sgt for 30 yrs, he told me once that he used to bust fights at a place down 29, just past the rock quarry. It was that little dilapidated wood house-looking thing on the left as you are going to Manassas. They actually just tore it down a few months ago.

Date: August 15, 2005 09:12AM

That was the Bull Run Grill. That place was creepy, and there were always reports of huge drug busts going on there. It was so tiny, though, from the outside it looked no bigger than a small bedroom.

Date: August 24, 2005 08:56PM

Wow...I never knew the name of that place.

I have a question- do you know what that "Filmdex" place was? It looks like an old motel...I have tried to research it, but cant find anything -?-

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: August 25, 2005 08:44AM

Filmdex is a company (currently) working in the digital video world. The have moved to 14016 Sullyfield Circle in Chantilly.

The Filmdex building at 15500 Lee Highway (the place that looks like a hotel), was a processing lab from the days before digital. There are still some operations going on at the filmdex place. Could still be filmdex operations, or some other operation that just hasn't changed the sign.

Date: August 25, 2005 12:59PM

Thanks! I never knew that. So it never really was an old motel, pre-Filmdex?

I remember seeing a motel pic on norvapics.com, that looked EXACTLY like it...but i never knew if that was it or not.

Posted by: ReppinClifton ()
Date: February 08, 2006 07:38PM

That Filmdex company I heard was just a coverup for the CIA. I dont remember where I read it, but thats what I heard.
-Mike

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: February 08, 2006 09:46PM

Wouldn't be surprised. The NRO building in Chantilly was "the Honeywell Building" until Clinton declassified it.

Honeywell building with armed guards? Yeah right.

Posted by: WildBill ()
Date: January 10, 2007 04:13PM

All of you youngsters that remember Partners 2 probably have no rememberance of Hunters Lodge. Partners 2 and the Bull Run Grill were calm compared to the Lodge.

Date: January 14, 2007 06:10PM

I remember Bull Run Grill. Where was Hunters Lodge located?

Posted by: WildBill ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:29PM

Hunters Lodge was located at the intersection of West Ox Road and Route 29 before the time of all the ramps/flyovers of the Parkway and West Ox Road. I would say that the actual location was about where the Sports Authority is located and the Super 29 Mover Drive-In was in the Costco parking lot.

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: May 05, 2007 08:02AM

The Lodge was cool - go to a movie at the drive-in and see a fight and police raid for one low price.... cripes, that's around 20-25 years ago.

Posted by: Ernie ()
Date: October 03, 2007 05:13PM

I went to Partners 2 with my wife and father in law years ago. They always had a country buffet. I think across the street there was another place with an image of Elvis out front. I think Partners 2 caught fire.

Posted by: Tam20151 ()
Date: January 31, 2008 04:39PM

Not far from hunters lodge was the Pig-n-Chik. It was on Rt. 29 near the drive in movies. what a hole that place was. My dad used to drag us there in the 70's.

Posted by: K ()
Date: February 01, 2008 07:02AM

HUNTERS LODGE....I went there with a mixed crowd of blacks and whites and we had to drink in the parking lot.....LoL

Posted by: Diane ()
Date: February 01, 2008 05:51PM

Hunters Lodge used to be the place to go for country and western. It was a really neat place where Ricky Cooper's band used to play among other groups. All age groups enjoyed a night of music and dancing.

Posted by: Andy Reeder ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:41PM

I remember that Partners II was a relatively "new place" in town and I think owned by the same folks who owned Bachelors II (the disco) near Fairfax Triangle. The Green Dolphin (across the road from Toys-R-Us) was another infamous dive with live music. Actually, Hunters Lodge was an institution with Heavy Country, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan and others playing in its latter days. Early days included Pasty Cline, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, and other legends. Great place-- mowed it down to put up a parking lot.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:03PM

Keep this stuff coming, I love hearing about what NoVa was like before 1987.

Posted by: Speedo ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:55PM

Don't remember much about Partners 2, but remember a whole lot about Hunters Lodge.I played music there in the early 70's with the Midniters and the fabulous Stringdusters. It was a great place for jaming after hours on Friday and Saturday nite. Jammed with some of the best, Merle Haggards Strangers, Mel Tellis Statesiders, Buddy Charlton from the Ernis Tubbs band, and of course Danny Gatton. I played there for (6) wonderful years with some great musicians. Probably was the peak of my music career. Thanks for the memories

Re: Anyone remember Hunters Lodge?
Date: August 17, 2009 04:54PM

Looking for people who new about Hunters Lodge.

Posted by: Bo ()
Date: November 14, 2009 04:58PM

My father was a fairfax county cop who bounced at hunters lodge and told me of meeting several washington redskins there, back in the day (back in sonny jurgenson and billy kilmer's qb days), when I got old enough (70s) I thought it was cool to go there, I also had a friend who lived right across west ox rd. whose horse threw me into a barbed wire fence within sight of the lodge, also when I was a kid, pop would take my mom, brother and I to pig-n-chk on the "crab night" it was one of the old deals where they would brown paper the whole table...good times!

Re: Anyone remember Dixie Tea garden?
Posted by: Roy R ()
Date: January 18, 2010 12:38PM

around 1946 I started dating my future wife who lived on Route 123 south of Vienna, we would walk through the woods on a path to Route 29 and go to a dance at the Dixie Tea Garden. There were other dance halls along Route 29, like Hunter's Lodge, Social Circle, Dixie Tea Garden, Happy Hour and a Honky Tonk "Pine Lawn" does anyone (living) remember these?

Re: Anyone remember Dixie Tea garden?
Posted by: speedo ()
Date: January 28, 2010 05:01PM

I don't remember Dixie Tea Garden or Pine Lawn but remember the rest. As I previously mentioned, I used to play music at Hunters Lodge for about 6 years during the 70's.

Date: January 28, 2010 05:03PM

If you went to Hunter's Lodge in the 70's, you would have heard us playing music there. We were there about 6 years.

Hunters Lodge or Other Local Musuc Memorabelia
Posted by: Andrew H Reeder ()
Date: May 09, 2010 05:43AM

Hey Speedo, you must have know the owner of Hunters Lodge--didn't he play with the Stringdusters? How about.. Was that guys name in Heavy Country? Mike Taylor? Mike Parker? He was a friend of John (Doc) Sherman.

Anyway, I am looking for postcards or preferably posters or fliers for No. Virginia bars and concert venues like Hunters Lodge. If anyone has any or can put me in touch with someone who does (or members of Heavy Country)--email me at cavecon@earthlink,net

My only story about Partners II took place in the late 1970s. Two buddies and I were racing our motorcycles to get to Partners II before they stopped serving drinks (guess what? We were already three sheets to the wind) We cut across the parking lot and jumped the little retaining wall and came skidding to a halt right in front of the door where the manager was standing smoking a cigarette, He wasn’t impressed. We got our drink and then got thrown out for being too intoxicated, We drove down the road. More mayhem followed but luckily everyone lived through the experience.

I am a collector, not a seller. Just in it for the fun. Thanks. -Andrew-

Posted by: Frank Sellers ()
Date: June 02, 2010 02:38PM

Anyone know where the Admiral Grill was in Baileys Crossroads? Another of the old places?
_Frank_

Posted by: Max ()
Date: June 12, 2010 03:04PM

Hey now, I went to Hunters Lodge many times. I can tell you that the Stringdusters were amazingly-talented, world-class musicians with a sound all their own. When I frequented the Lodge in the early 70s, there were usually two bands playing: The Stringdusters and another band whose name I can not recall at the moment. They played alternately, thereby providing continuous music to the crowd, while affording each other some well-deserved breaks. The dancing and the music were absolutely great. Things did get a little out of hand at times. Occasionally, the bouncers had to deal with individuals who had simply had too much. They did so by throwing the person in question out the door. I mean literally "throwing" them out - they would launch the person right through a side door emergency exit; the person would leave the place airborne. Then things would usually calm down and everyone would get back into the music. Great times!

Posted by: Gantt Kushner ()
Date: June 24, 2010 01:49PM

I used to play in the band at Hunter's Lodge. First as guitar player for The Virginia Renegades then as a member of The Stringdusters. Also play w/ The Virginia Renegades at Partners Two.

Gantt

Max Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey now, I went to Hunters Lodge many times. I
> can tell you that the Stringdusters were
> amazingly-talented, world-class musicians with a
> sound all their own. When I frequented the Lodge
> in the early 70s, there were usually two bands
> playing: The Stringdusters and another band whose
> name I can not recall at the moment. They played
> alternately, thereby providing continuous music to
> the crowd, while affording each other some
> well-deserved breaks. The dancing and the music
> were absolutely great. Things did get a little
> out of hand at times. Occasionally, the bouncers
> had to deal with individuals who had simply had
> too much. They did so by throwing the person in
> question out the door. I mean literally
> "throwing" them out - they would launch the person
> right through a side door emergency exit; the
> person would leave the place airborne. Then
> things would usually calm down and everyone would
> get back into the music. Great times!

Date: July 14, 2010 04:54PM

For all you that have questions about Hunters Lodge. The owner of the establishment was Roy Justice(lead fiddler of the Justice brothers) who had the band The Stringdusters. The second band that was there for 6 years was The Midniters. Hunters Lodge had the best county music on the east coast for many years.

Date: July 16, 2010 03:31PM

For the guy who wanted to know where the Admiral Grill was in Bailey's Cross Roads. It was located just west of the intersection of route 7 & columbia pike. Directly across from the old shopping center and the left hand side of Columbia Pike. I played music there also with George Gorhom.

Posted by: Wagonmaster ()
Date: July 18, 2010 02:52PM

I remember Hunters Lodge, Partners 2 and Bull Run Grill. Bull Run Grill was called Eulls (sp?) Grill in the early '70s. Bull Run Grill was a very rough bar! I have heard of the Social Circle but thought it was what Hunters Lodge was called in an earlier time. My wife and I saw Hank Williams Jr at Hunters Lodge in the late '70s or early 80's.
Does any one have a photograph of Hunters Lodge or Partners 2 that they could email to me?
Does any one remember the stone quarry on Rt 50 at the Loudon Co line that had the tunnel under Rt50 connecting the two quarry pits?
At one time there was a "Virginia City" next to Partners 2. A friend of mine was the marshall there for a while.
I left N. Va in 1995 for North Carolina.

Date: July 19, 2010 04:20PM

Hey Wagonmaster,

A few corrections for you on Social Circle and Virginia City. Social Circle was not once Hunters Lodge. Social Circle was located about a mile or two on the left hand side of 29/211 past Hunters Lodge. Virginia City was not next to Partners 2, but next to Hunters Lodge. I too am interested in finding some pictures of Hunters Lodge. Post a message here for me if you have some or know where I can obtain them with a way of reaching you.

Thanks

Posted by: kewaywi ()
Date: July 19, 2010 05:56PM

Hey Speedo, I'd like to hear more about your memories of these places. I started a blog to chronicle this era in NOVA. Send me an email: kewaywi at gmail.com

Date: July 19, 2010 05:59PM

Admiral Grill was located on the present site of Radley Acura in Bailey's Crossroads.

Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: wagonmaster ()
Date: July 20, 2010 09:15PM

Speedo,
Sorry for the confusion! It has been about 15 years sence I left that area. The exact locations get confused with age. Partners 2 was near Willow Spring Towing and that is where I saw Hank Jr.
When did they tear down Partners 2 and Hunters Lodge. I use to eat dinner at Hunters Lodge when I was working. If I remember correctly It was run by a family, mom, dad and two daughters. All played in the band.
I have checked with everyone I know in the area and no one has any pictures. I have one of Bull Run Gril, taken at night.

Wagonmaster1544@hotmail.com

Posted by: PICS! ()
Date: July 21, 2010 11:51AM

Wow, some serious nostalgia in this thread. Does anyone have pictures of these old places? I'd love to trigger some additional memories. Thanks.

Posted by: wagonmaster1544 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:01PM

Speedo,
Sorry for the confusion! It has been about 15 years sence I left that area. The exact locations get confused with age. Partners 2 was near Willow Spring Towing and that is where I saw Hank Jr.
When did they tear down Partners 2 and Hunters Lodge. I use to eat dinner at Hunters Lodge when I was working. If I remember correctly It was run by a family, mom, dad and two daughters. All played in the band.
I have checked with everyone I know in the area and no one has any pictures. I have one of Bull Run Gril, taken at night.

Wagonmaster1544@hotmail.com

Date: July 23, 2010 03:51PM

Hi Wagonmaster1544,

After some serious thinking on these topics, If my memory is correct, I think Partners 2 used to be Social Circle. The same building is what I remember. I was just a kid when my parents use to go there.

Posted by: Lurker02 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:47PM

The lineage of that club was, I recall, as follows: Social Circle -> Partners 2 - > Club Fairfax. Or maybe it was the other way around for the last two names.

Remember Hunters Lodge well. After hours jams the best.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:15PM

Hi Lurker02,

Your are right on target. I think Club Fairfax came after Partners 2, but I'm not sure. If you were at Hunters Lodge after hours for the jam, then you saw me playing with the Stringdusters and The Midniters for about 6 years.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:27PM

I too picked quite a bit at those places, during working hours and after hours as well. There were a number of similar places in the area that I worked at as well.

Does anyone out there ever hear from Roy and Paul? What about Arnold Hobbs? Pam Hobbs?

Those were the days.

There a youtube video of Paul, posted by his niece.

Date: July 24, 2010 06:35PM

Above, someone asked about Heavy Country. The HC I knew was fronted by Joey and Jimmy Martin, later just Joey Martin, and a revolving door of other pickers including a drummer named Chas [Charles] who had a locally well known musician father who's name I can't quite recall. Sorry.

Date: July 25, 2010 05:21PM

Hi Lurker02,

To answer your question about Roy and Paul, It is my understanding from Rudy Gabraletto that Roy died about (3) years ago and his wife Ruth just after that. Another musician friend of mine told me that Paul had died this past spring. God bless both of them for they were great Musicians.

Posted by: Hi Lurker02 again ()
Date: July 25, 2010 05:24PM

Just saw your message about Paul being on Youtube. Thanks alot I'll check it out.

Date: July 25, 2010 08:45PM

I'm sorry to learn that Roy and Paul are no longer with us. Everyone talks about the fun loving nature of those guys but what I remember most about them is an unswerving commitment to the art that was their music. That's what I learned from them. That and how cool shuffles and western swing are.

On youtube, enter the search terms of Paul and Justice and you'll see that video I allude to.

Roy Self died several years ago. I learned a lot about the music from him too.

You refer to Rudy, the steel player? I worked a job with him about 12 years or so ago; Haven't seem him since.

This thread brings back a ton of memories for me.

Date: July 29, 2010 08:35PM

When I saw that the title of this thread was Partners 2, I'd hoped that someone would have some information on Arnold Hobbs and Pam Hobbs. Arnold owned Partners II as far as I know, at least he was the managing partner. He led, sang occasionally, and played guitar in the long time house band, The Hobbs Sisters, who were his daughters. They also featured a bass player, Bob Geoff, Jr. [Sp.] His name turns up from time to time as still, as a bluegrass sideman. Later, Pam Hobbs had a band witout Arnold and without her sister. Does anyone know anything about what happend to Arnold, or to Pam Hobbs? Still in the area? Still performing somewhere?

Date: July 30, 2010 08:27PM

I'd love to publish any pictures on my blog:

ourredneckpast.blogspot.com

Date: July 31, 2010 06:12PM

OFF TOPIC: kewaywi () I checked your blog. Quite cool. I hope you continue to populate it with that stuff. I too read Capitol Rock. And yes, I also felt that Mr. Opsasnick neglected Virginia. But I was there -- from Virginia, working in VA, DC and PG County -- and Virginia had some clubs and honky tonks, our state had nothing on the scale of say, Waldorf -- being the last place to have its slot machines phased out gave Warldorf, in the next county south, a great leg up on night life. And of course Link Wray, who at one time was the guitar god of the world operated

Did you read Mr. Opasnick's book on Jim Morrison [Doors] misspent youth in Alexandria VA?

Date: August 07, 2010 04:02PM

Hi Folks,

I have a retraction to make from a comment I made earlier. I was told by another musician that Paul Justice had past away this year. I have learned from his younger brother Tony Justice that is not the case. Paul is alive but has altimers decease.

Sorry!!!!

Posted by: Cal Newman ()
Date: October 08, 2010 08:25PM

I played from 1972 to 1979 with Stringdusters. Am in touch with Paul & Tony Justice. Also Rudy Gabriletto and Flip Bacher. Does anyone know what happened to Jack Ledbetter? Would love to hear from anyone connected to the Lodge from that time period. Wonderful memories! Cal Newman

Date: October 09, 2010 04:06PM

Hi Cal,

Nice to see that you are still around. I too played at Hunters Lodge during that time. I was the drummer for the Midniters, a band I was with for thirteen years. I talk to Tony and Rudy quite often, but nobody has heard from Jack Ledbetter. JIM

Posted by: FP ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:50AM

Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane...
I used to go to Hunters Lodge every weekend. Hit Partners 2 many times too. Oh great times. Glad to see others have such fond memories of the place too. I was hanging out there in the late 70's, early 80's. I remember Rick Cooper singing like he thought he was Elvis! I remember being one of the only girls with a big old 4X4 in the parking lot. And all the guys from Finley Paving and the quarry hanging out there. LOL!

Pam Hobbs was my next door neighbor growing up in Fairfax City. My dad was good friends with Bob Goff. And my cousin plays with the group Phoenix so I spent a lot of time at Bluegrass festivals and other music events with all of them.

Sure can't have good fun like Hunter's Lodge and Partners 2 any more!

Date: October 17, 2010 11:43AM

I've not spoken with Rick Cooper in many years. Anyone been in touch with him? The last I heard from Rick he was selling cars in Manassas. That's been a while. I worked with Rick from time to time in the joints mentioned here.

And yes, those were the days, my friend.

Posted by: Ed Stapanon ()
Date: October 21, 2010 08:17AM

I played at Partners II with Hobbs & Partners for a few years in the early 80s playing bass fiddle. John Paganoni was on mandolin, Keith Fairfax on banjo. It was a lot of fun and seeing all the top BG groups of the time was great, Bill Harrell & the Virginians, Ralph Stanley, Larry Sparks, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, etc. The food there was excellent. I remember that Pam was in Nashville at the time trying to break into C&W music. I also played at Partners II with Jimmy Arnold, Wayne Yates and Dave Auldridge. That was great fun playing with musicians of that caliber. Fond memories of Partners II. God bless Arnold.

Posted by: TinaM ()
Date: October 26, 2010 10:21PM

Partners II was the one owned by The Hobbs, Dad and Becky Hobbs played in the blue grass band. Pam Hobbs played in the country band. It was a lot of fun!

Posted by: fp ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:42PM

Funny, I bought a car from him when he was at Koon's in Manassas. I ran into him a few years after that. But haven't seen or heard anything about him in a long time.

Posted by: fp ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:49PM

http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

Check out this link for some good historical info on Hunter's Lodge.

Date: November 10, 2010 04:26PM

Hi fp, Thanks so much for the link on Hunter's Lodge. Your picture of the lodge is the first Ive been able to see. Can't seem to find them. If you have any more I would love to have them.

Date: November 16, 2010 08:23AM

I'm glad you guys like my blog. I have some more local history articles that I'm working on so check back again. I'm always glad to hear from people with memories about Hunters Lodge and I'm slowly compiling it as I get it.

kewaywi at gmail.com

Posted by: Bob Taylor ()
Date: November 17, 2010 10:58PM

Re:HUNTERS LODGE -- the interest & inquiries have prompted me to submit the following: I resurrected HUNTERS LODGE in 1962 after leasing the property from the late (Mrs.Faircloth). I settled on the Band name "STRINGDUSTERS" with the aid of my original guitarist (the late Stuart Lee Brooks) - (I was owner - leader & Drummer). I sold out approx. June 1966 [to my good freind, the late Roy Justice] and went to Nashville as a member of Dottie West's first band ----
There is so much to tell ------
P.S. there was no rough stuff when I operated the Lodge as I had an off duty Fairfax Deputy every night we were open to make sure everything was peaceful at the finest Country Western-Swing Dance Club east of the Mississippi !!!

Posted by: Lurker01 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 05:25PM

So nice to see you post, Mr. Taylor. I'll bet that there is so much to tell. Were Roy and Paul in your band when you left?

Date: November 19, 2010 10:43AM

Reply to "Lurker 2" 11/18 - re:HUNTERS LODGE - If memory serves me correct Roy & Paul were hired in 1963 - They followed "Chubby Wise" [of Grand Ole Opry fame] who was the sixth Stringduster - Roy & Paul were 6 & 7. I had known Paul from a short stint I had with Jimmy Case and The Cheeroke Band.

Date: November 19, 2010 07:38PM

Thanks. Can you post a list of the other Stringdusters of your era?

Date: November 19, 2010 07:41PM

Forgot to say: I know I've come across the name Stu Brooks -- your guitar player that you mentioned above. I can't quite place the name though. Is this the fellow who was a sometimes promoter and an ad salesman or something for [the late, lamented] BigK radio?

Date: November 24, 2010 09:34PM

Lurker01 - 11/19 - reply - Stu Brooks was affilliated with BigK at one time. I'm looking at 2 different pictures of band -- oldest 1st, BOB TAYLOR [drums] -- DALE DAVIDSON [rhythm guitar] -- SONNY GARRISH [steele guitar] -- STU BROOKS [lead guitar] -- CARL SMITH [bass] -- ROY JUSTICE [fiddle] -- PAUL JUSTICE [fiddle].

Photo #2: Two changes from previous: ROY SELF [rhythm] -- JACK LEDBETTER [lead guitar]

Thank you for the Lodge memories
Date: November 27, 2010 07:48AM

Thank you for posting the names. I wasn't aware that Sonny Garrish worked at the Lodge. Also, somehow I recall Roy Self playing bass. I don't recall if I had known he was also a guitar player at the Logde. I'm sure you've many great stories to tell. I'm visualizing those pictures you allude to -- of circa 45 years ago.

Great fun; great times; great swing and great shuffles. Indeed, an era we'll not see again. As I'm mentioned above, it's too easy to recall only the fun. The Lodge fostered a deep and abiding commitment to the art that was the music performed there, thus attracting serious committed musicians and fans of the genre. Again -- thanks.

Re: Lodge memories
Date: November 27, 2010 10:17PM

To comment about Roy Self - He was also a very good bass player and vocalist....

Date: December 21, 2010 04:35PM

Hi Folks, On one of my recent trips to Fairfax County for a dentist appointment, I had some free time to spend so I drove to the intersection of 29 & 211 and West Ox road where Hunters Lodge use to be. I took pictures of the intersection and where the Lodge would have been and theres a creek running right down through where the property was which is behind Sports Authority.Boy how times have changed the landscape. I really miss those days and will be in my memory for ever.

Date: December 23, 2010 06:11AM

@ speedo -- how right you are. And if you'd driven just down the road southbound a bit, you'd have come upon the site of Partners II on your left [or club Fairfax or Social Circle, depending upon your era] and perhaps have caught more vibes of an era that has passed. Discussing this issurely fun.

Posted by: Cornbread ()
Date: December 27, 2010 08:12PM

Before Club Fairfax & Partners 2 it was called, Social Circle also called "Suicide Circle" by many that knew the plase as a rough Dance hall/Bar hangout. A well known Pagan's biker hangout in the 60's and 70's This place made Hunters Lodge look tame,The Lodge was owned by the Faircloth's and later closed down when Tommy and Doris Sanders ran the Lodge.

Posted by: tommy lee brooks ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:21PM

Speedo - I was trying to place you in my memory, as I'm sure we have run into each other. You must have taken Bob Taylor's place in the Stringdusters. I'm not sure when the personnel started changing. When my brother Stu was playing there, it was Bob, on drums, Roy and Paul, Carl Smith on bass, and Sonny Garrish on steel. Del Davidson was fronting at the time. That was when the bandstand was at the end of the building towards Fairfax Circle. For a long time while Stu was there, I was traveling in the midwest. When I came back, I replaced Danny on the cruise ship to Marshall Hall ( only because he was leaving ). That was with Ron MacDonal & Dick Heintze. Later I was working with Pam and Jimmy Carroll at Partners. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if they land on a live braincell, I'll be glad to answer.....

T Lee Brooks

Pam and Later Bands
Date: January 28, 2011 09:22AM

Lurker 2 - I was in a band with Pam, Jimmy Carroll, and a drummer named Dennis Hash, with 2 different keyboard players..We played Partnes and played out a few times. I have a sorta picture of that group, but don't know about anyone else in the group now....

t lee

Date: January 28, 2011 09:29AM

Bob- Just stopped by to say howdy after all these years....

t lee brooks

Chas (drummer) and family
Date: January 28, 2011 10:37AM

Lurker - Chas's last name was Carroll. His father was Marvin Carroll, who played Hawiian steel (country style) with Jimmy Dean. Chas also has a brother, Jimmy, who is (was) a good bass player and great singer. Don't know anymore about them, as I haven't seen them in years.

Date: January 29, 2011 07:02AM

TLB-you filled in some gaps in my memory. Like you, I'm trying to place you and speedo bid I can't quite do it. Your posts made me recall some names I'd not thought of in a very long time. Are in the NoVa area and still performing?

to Lurker 01
Date: January 29, 2011 04:07PM

Lurk - I haven't been in the area for about 20 years....spent 10 years in Florida, came back, worked with Liz Myers and the Midnight Flyers for a while, Billy Joe Shaver, Heavy Country w/Big Al, then back south to Atlanta and surrounding areas....am still close to Augusta for about 10 years now. Have some relatives there, but I doubt if I make it up anytime soon....What's your name ? If you want, send it to my e-mail, if you don't want to broadcast oit,, maybe we can clear both memories....lol....

tleebrooks@att.net

Date: January 30, 2011 04:50PM

To Lurker01, If you are trying to figure out where I fit in/ in all of this, I was the drummer for The Midniters and sometimes for the Stringdusters from around 1967 through 1975 at Hunters Lodge. I perferr not to mention my name but my initials are JK.

Take care

Posted by: KrisCox ()
Date: February 02, 2011 11:59AM

Wow what memories! I used to go to Partners 2 all the time back in the late 70's and early 80's to listen to Heavy Country. Joey Martin was my boss at that time's cousin I think so that's how I started going there. Always had a blast there...I was young...didn't know it was considered a redneck bar, hell I didn't even know what the term "redneck" was! But it was a fun time and a great band. Mike Melchoine (sp?) on the steel guitar dated my sister for a few years. He was a great guy. Sad to think the place is no longer there but not surprised. It was pretty run down back then!

Date: February 02, 2011 04:28PM

I guess you all saw Bud Charlton's obituary in the papers today. I don't know what age I'd have guessed for him; he was 72. I'd not seen him in perhaps 25 or 30 years.

Date: February 15, 2011 09:15PM

tleebrooks - was happy to see another come on that was in the loop back when --
I'm in the process of moving at present but will send you an
E-mail in the not to distant future - kindest regards - bob t from hunters

Date: March 20, 2011 04:31PM

In case you didn't get the notification, a benefit for Buddy Charlton is going to be held at the Vienna Moose Lodge next Saturday the 26th.

Maybe I'll see you there

Posted by: mct ()
Date: April 09, 2011 12:17PM

Speedo,
Please drop me an e-mail. I'm doing some research and would like to ask you about Hunter's Lodge.
Cheers,
Mark

Date: April 11, 2011 05:26PM

Hi Mark,

Would love to email you but, don't have your email address.

speedo

Re: Chas (drummer) and family
Posted by: noname ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:03AM

Charlie Carroll (Chas) passed away quite a few years ago. Jimmy is still in Virginia, playing music here and there.

Re: Chas (drummer) and family
Date: May 28, 2011 05:20PM

It is always saddens a bit to learn of absent friends.

Posted by: Cindy Hash ()
Date: June 02, 2011 05:27PM

Hunters Lodge - Last band to play there was Ricky Cooper and the Third Shift, Ricky Cooper lead vocals, Brinson Reed, incredible lead guitar and Scotty Beisliner (sp?), bass with Eddie Dillanger on drums.I think the other band was Wichita Falls with Mike Wapler????

It's good to know you're still out there Tommy Lee. I drive past your old flames farm on Casanova Rd and wonder what became of you.

Good times for many at these old country music clubs.So many great musicians came through and sat in and played...

Posted by: Bill G. ()
Date: June 06, 2011 11:46PM

Hunters lodge brings back a lot of goodmemories. The Justice Brothers also played there. I think they also owned it. They were awesome playing the twin fiddles, especially "The Maiden's Prayer".

Date: June 08, 2011 04:52PM

Hi Bill G,

You are right on target with your memories of Hunters Lodge. The Justice Brothers were in my opion, the greatest two fiddle players on the East Coast. The oldest Roy Justice was the owner of the establishment. Roy passed away a few years ago. He was 80 years old. Paul Justice lives in California and it is my understanding he has alhiemers dicease.

Till next time

Posted by: jf ()
Date: September 06, 2011 06:42PM

I remember the Hunter's Lodge. It was called the Social Circle many years ago; my parents met there.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: September 08, 2011 10:14PM

Wow!!Partners 2 sure brings back memories-good memories. My sister, some friends, and I used to go quite often in the early 1980's. We knew about Bull Run Grill and Hunter's Lodge but never went to those places. We enjoyed going on Friday nights because we liked listening to Pam Hobbs. If I remember correctly I think they played bluegrass music on Saturday nights. Does anyone remember signs posted on various places of the the exterior of the building that stated, "please enter at your own risk. Not responsible for life or limb." ?? My sister and I were out on a double date one night and the guys asked us where we wanted to go. We told them Partners 2. When we pulled into the parking lot, these signs were the first thing they noticed. Needless to say, they did not want to go in even though we tried to convince them that it was O.K. To be quite honest, there were a few incidences in the parking lot at closing times but I never thought Partner's had any more issues than most drinking establishments. Infact, there were many regulars there who we began to hang out/dance with and I felt that it was nicer than the snobbery at the more upscale clubs. However, my father-in-law is a retired Fairfax county police officer and he told me that at one time it was a very rough place but that management/owners sort of cleaned up its act over the years. I do remember the police being proactive and showing up and hanging out at the entrance ocassionally so I am sure this helped also. Does anyone remember Big K Radio??? I did some work for them at about the same time so I knew Roy Self. I am soooooo sorry to hear about his passing. Sory to have written a book here but I sort of came upon this site by accident and so many memories started coming to mind.

Date: September 09, 2011 04:48PM

Hi Cheryl, welcome aboard. Always glad to hear from people that remembers these night clubs. I for one remember all of them on the strip, but mostly Hunters Lodge where I played music there for about 6 years. I too remember the off duty police that would work at Hunters Lodge for Roy Justice. They kept the place in some kind of order most of the time. I also miss Roy Self as he was a good friend.

Keep it coming folks!!!!!

Date: September 10, 2011 08:20AM

Thanks Speedo. We always talked about checking out Hunter's Lodge and wanted to but never did for whatever reason. I moved away from Fairfax and I would come home to visit my parents. One time, several years later, I decided to just go for a drive and I couldn't believe that the building was gone. Centerville looks so different now. Thanks for this site and bringing back so many memories.

Date: September 17, 2011 05:46PM

Hi Cheryl, Seems that you and I are the only active people interested in this site now. I quess most people are burnt out with this. I too can't believe that the county or the state aloud the new property owners to level the old Hunters Lodge building. It was a historic site and should have been preserved, but you know the old saying, here today, gone tomorrow.

Date: September 18, 2011 05:45PM

You're not the only two. I check from time to time to see if anyone else from that long ago [or not so long ago] era has resurfaced here. There are more names I''d like to see show up here. LOL

Date: September 20, 2011 04:01PM

Hi Lurker01, Glad to see you are still around. Maybe some others will show up and keep this site going with more memories of Hunters Lodge.

Posted by: greeneld ()
Date: September 21, 2011 10:05AM

My husband and I had our first date (blind date) at Hunter's Lodge. Does anyone have any pictures of it? We have been married 30 years next month.

Date: September 21, 2011 04:39PM

Hi greeneld, There was a blog posted by fp back in November of 2010 with infor and a couple of pictures of Hunters Lodge. Other than that I have not run across any other pictures. You can go into:

http://ourredneckpast.blogs.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

or you can just simply insert Hunter's Lodge on the Internet search and the website is either on the 1st page or second.

Good luck

Posted by: FDO ()
Date: September 23, 2011 05:55PM

I used to be a regular at Partners II in the 80's. Pam Hobbs had an incredible voice & I loved Jimmy Carroll's voice as well. I actually went to Chas Carroll's wedding when he married a waitress that used to work there. A lot of good memories from that place.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:46PM

FDO - thank you. I'm smiling. It's so nice to read antecdotes and remember absent friends. Although I'd not seen him in many many years, I wasn't aware that Chas was no longer with us until I read it here in this thread.

A recent posting above reminded me of some others I've not heard from or heard of in a long long time, and I wonder if anyone has any information on them. Of course there've been several mentions of Ricky Cooper, but no one seems to where his is now. A recent post mentioned Eddie Dillinger, a drummer who worked with Rick, Pam Hobbs, and many others. Eddie's father, Tommy Dillinger -- a guitar and bass player -- also worked with Rick, Pam, and many many others from long long ago. Does anyone know anything of any of these guys now?

Date: October 01, 2011 01:22PM

Does anyone remember Hunters Lodge when it was a bottle club or a supper club as the state of Virginia put it? It was BYOB and you would buy the set ups and food there at the Lodge. They had great Bar B Que as I recall and the admission was resumable. Then the state of Virginia decided they wanted all restaurants and establishments to be licensed to sell Beer. The place seemed to change somewhat after that. I can still remember the inside layout of the Lodge. As you would walk in the front door, Roy Justice's office was on the right, the coat room was on the left, admission booth on the left, food counter on the back left, dance floor in the middle, band stand to the left of the dance floor and restrooms in back on left of the rear wing. The lodge on a good night could seat about 300 people. Oh, and the band room and recording studio was all the way back at the end of the dance floor to the right.Would love to see some pictures of the Lodge if any one knows where to find them.

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: October 01, 2011 06:29PM

I seem to remember that the old local public tv station WNVT/WNVC channel 53/56 use to show on Saturday nights some programming filmed at Hunter's Lodge. Nowadays WNVC/WNVT is all foreign programming. I was trying to remember what specific channel showed the program from Hunter's Lodge program. See if WNVC/WNVT might have some of the shows in their archives

Posted by: retrievermom ()
Date: October 02, 2011 09:19PM

All these memories are great but what about Janet's PLace?

Date: October 19, 2011 03:03PM

Here's a new question. Anyone remember Colvin Run Dance Hall in Great Falls, Virginia? People use to go there in the 30's 40's and 50's. My parents use to take me there with them when they couldn,t find a baby sitter for me. It was my first introduction to a real live drummer and band. I was probably 9 or 10 then. Colvin Run Dance Hall is a restored historic schoolhouse with oak ballroom floor. It has been run continuously by the members of the Colvin Run Citizens Association for over 75 years.

Posted by: dave ()
Date: November 10, 2011 07:01PM

Filmdex used to be a business that transferred bank records to microfiche. Now that everything is computerized, no more need for microfiche

Posted by: Melisa ()
Date: January 07, 2012 08:04PM

Just wanted to let you know that my uncle, Paul Justice, passed away yesterday in Newport Beach, California. It is a terrible loss and he will be missed by so many... but he is no longer suffering. His ashes are being flown back to Fort Payne, Alabama...his hometown. He will be buried next to his wife, and his mom and dad. I can let you know the arrangements if interested. Also, FYI, there is a video of Paul posted on You Tube. It is so funny. It is so fascinating to read about Roy and Paul. I just always knew them as my crazy fiddle playin' uncles...I never realized how very talented they were and how they are remembered by others. RIP Paul Justice.

Date: January 08, 2012 04:57PM

Hi Melisa, Just read your message about Paul Justice. It is indeed sad news.I new he was sick from talking to Tony Justice, but didn't know he was that bad. God rest his soul. Paul and Roy were the two best fiddle players I ever heard when they were with the Stringdusters. I was the drummer for the Midniters and we played there with the Stringdusters for 6 years. It was the peak of my career. I will never forget either one.

God bless

Date: January 08, 2012 06:38PM

REading all of these posts, I wish I had taken pictures of Partner's, Hunter's LOndge, etc. My husband and I went back to Fairfax over Christmas to visit family and we couldn't remember where Partners and Hunters were. We knew the general area but couldn't actually pinpoint the exact locations. I can't believe how much that area has changed. Thirty years ago, it was still so rural. Speedo, I don't remember Colven Run Dance Hall but I asked my father if he ever heard of it and he and my mom went there one time in the 50's when they were first married and moved to the Northern Va. ARea. Someone mentioned Janet's Place. Where was it?

Date: January 09, 2012 06:23PM

Melisa, I'm saddened, and I'm sorry for your loss. I learned so much from Paul, and from Roy. The community of musicians they created here is something we'll never see again. Thank you for your post.

Date: January 14, 2012 09:32AM

Melissa -- I've looked in the obvious places online for an obituary notice or announcement of services for Paul. I didn't see anything. Is there a notice on line somewhere? Again, thank you.

Posted by: Joe Boucher ()
Date: January 15, 2012 01:29AM

Dont know if anyone will ever see this but I worked at Big K radio during the early and mid 70's, took Red Shipleys place when he went to WPIK. I remember Arnold Hobbs, Roy and Paul Justice, Hunters Lodge, Partners II, Hillbilly Heaven, and Earl Dixon......Those were the good old days...Just ask Tom Cat Reeder.......

Posted by: Rick Cooper ()
Date: January 26, 2012 10:48PM

Just

Date: February 25, 2012 05:27PM

Nice to see Rick Cooper is still around. He started playing at Hunters Lodge after the Midniters left.

New question: Does anyone remember the Firehouse dance's at Herndon, Chantilly & Centerville on the weekends? some music was Country and some was Rock and Roll.
Also does anyone remember Jimmy Dean and the Texas Wildcats playing at the Oxon Hill Firehouse and the Dixie Pig in Bladensburg, Md.?

Date: March 05, 2012 07:31AM

Paul Justice's obituary is now posted online, on several Alabama newspaper sites. I saw it on the Ft. Payne paper site. Apparently the service was this past weekend. There's a recent picture you'll all recognize.

And yes, that Oxon Hill firehouse on, I think, Livingston Road? I didn't work there while Jimmy Dean was there, but I worked there for quite a while. I'd not thought about that gig in quite a long time.

Date: March 05, 2012 03:29PM

Thanks for the information Lurker01 about Paul Justice's obituary. I will check it out today.

Date: March 16, 2012 04:41PM

This is going way back.... Does anyone remember a place called Copp's Garden Room in Vienna, Va? It was a place for teens to go and dance and meet other girls and boys (no alcohol) during the beginning of rock and roll 1954. It was on the 2nd floor of the building that sold garden equipment. The music was by Juke Box with all of the top records. The location of the building was on Route 123 in Vienna when there was only 1 traffic light with one local policeman.

Posted by: Cheryl C. ()
Date: March 16, 2012 11:02PM

Hi all. Wow, I happened upon this site looking for Pam Hobbs. My brother Rick Whitacre used to play with Hobbs and Partners at Partners 2 in the early 80's. He passed away in 2007. He was a bass player with the band for several years and they put an album out called Centreville. Joe Boucher, I remember you. Rick also worked at Big K radio station. I was a teen then when I used to go there and watch my brother and his band play on Saturday nights. I loved it so much. Loved dancing with my dad and meeting several "big time" band members who would play there.These are memories I treasure dearly. I have since moved from the state and when I last was in that area, I couldn't believe how much it has changed. When Rick passed away, I gathered all the Hobbs and Partners band members together and had a celebration in memory of Rick. It was a delight to have all of them together again.

Talk about Tom Cat Reeder, he used to come to our home in Falls Church when we would have gatherings and live music. Wow! Old Times Not Forgotten... Please keep posting. I never did find where Pam is. I was googleing her and found this site! What a great find! Oh, I remember Hunter's Lodge too. Only went in there once or twice because I was too young.

Date: March 16, 2012 11:13PM

Hey Joe, Do you remember me? Rick Whitacre's sister Cheryl. I remember you but it has been so many years. We met several times back in the 80's. Rick passed away back in 2007. I got Bob Cook, Chris King, David and Larry and Eddie Kirk, John Pagganoni, Dave Goldman, Wayne Fairfax, Arlie Walton and a lot more together and had a blast! They played awesome music and brought back so many memories. How have you been??

Date: March 16, 2012 11:20PM

Speedo, I don't remember that place in Vienna. Sorry, it was before my time. But I did grow up just about 2 or 3 miles from there. I grew up in Pimmit Hills. Do you know where that is?

Posted by: Bob Goff, Jr ()
Date: March 22, 2012 08:37PM

The partners in Partner's II originally was Bob Goff, Sr, Arnold Hobbs, and Wayne Hobbs was a silent partner. Bob Sr, sold out to Arnold after he experienced heart troubles. Partner's II was the bluegrass stop over for so many bluegrass artists in the 70s and 80s. Food, family, fun and most of all bluegrass music!

Pam Hobbs doesn't perform anymore. Connie Hobbs plays in church in Culpeper and I perform with my wife the former Billie Sue Clark in a band called Mill Run Bluegrass band. Our website is millrunbluegrass.intuitwebsites.com

We play in and around Virginia and still love the music!!!

Posted by: Arnie Reed ()
Date: March 23, 2012 05:37PM

I played in a high school band (The Tensions) that played a Battle of the Bands at Hunters Lodge in the 1963-64 time frame. Jack Alix of WEEL was the DJ. I remember talking with the owner about the famous country musicians that had played there.

Date: April 06, 2012 08:57PM

Hi Bob. You should remember my brother Rick Whitacre. I remember him talking about you in the day. Glad to hear you are still playing music.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:11AM

Yes I remember Partners 2. Pam Hobbs. My Husband played there a few times.
He was a drummmer. Larry Kramer. He Played at Hunters lodge for years.
He was Ricky coopers drummer. Had a lot of good times in both Partners & Hunters.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:22AM

Hunters lodge was great. I miss it so much. My Husband was Rick Cooper's Drummer for years.There where a lot of great pickers there. Roy justice Had the place. Then Tommy & Doris sanders own'ed it.I will never forget Hunters lodge.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:52AM

Yes I spoke with Rick Cooper today.He lives in Newport. NC now. I called him today to let him know that Doris Sanders had past away this week. Tommy & Doris Sanders where the last owners of Hunters lodge.

Date: April 24, 2012 05:36PM

OK, here's another one for you. I played at the Surf Club, Bladensburg, MD. and the Turf Club, Laurel, Md. in the early 60's. Do you remember these two?

Date: April 25, 2012 04:50PM

Does anyone remember a place called Midway Hall? It was located just west of Manassas, Va.

Date: April 26, 2012 06:25AM

BG Jr -- Thank you for the updates. Very nice to hear from you. Glad you're doing well.

Ms. Lockhart -- Thanks for the word on Rick cooper. I hope he's doing well.

Speedo - yes on Midway Hall. I never worked the Surf Club. I did work a club in Laurel, but I can't remember the name. It was owned [or at least operated] by a Laurel trainer named Larry Lamparter.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:55PM

Lurker01--Glad to hear you remember Midway Hall. I played there when I was in High School with the Rocketeers and only made $6.00 for the night. Now I play for pleasure. The Turf Club in Laurel in which I referred to was owned and operated by a man named Brooks.

Posted by: Horsecountry ()
Date: May 08, 2012 06:56PM

Can anyone tell me when Hunters Lodge opened?

Date: May 13, 2012 06:06PM

Hi Horsecountry, I'm not sure when Hunters Lodge opened as a dance hall or night club, but I'm thinking it was about 1930.

Posted by: Horsecountry ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:11AM

I've got signage from them and was trying to learn more. I had no idea they were that old. Thanks speedo!

Date: June 19, 2012 04:51PM

Anyone remember Turners Arena where Jimmy Dean and the Texas Wildcats played?

Posted by: moonshine ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:07AM

Posted by: moonshine ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:08AM

Here's some history of Fairfax dance halls:

http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/search/label/Hunter%27s%20Lodge

Date: June 24, 2012 07:43AM

Moonshine -- thanks for the link. I was aware of that blog, but I'm not blogspot savvy so I wasn't aware of the section on lost dance halls for f'fax county.

NB - I like similar sites about lost ski areas, lost PA turnpike, lost amusement parks, lost tube stations. LOL.

Again, thanks, man. Lots of fun reading that. Most of the posts related stores that were just before my time but honky tonk and dance hall stories are timeless.

Date: July 07, 2012 11:44AM

I just saw that Tomcat Reeder has died.

Date: September 18, 2012 05:02PM

Hi folks, Looks like communications have lightened up here. Hope everyone is still doing fine. Here's one for you. Does anyone remember The National Grange Hall dances at Great Falls, Va. back in the 40's? Back then it was Forestville,Va. instead of Great Falls, Va. because Great Falls did not have a Post Office yet. We got our mail from Herndon, Va.

Posted by: Hairy Canary ()
Date: September 21, 2012 09:38PM

Saw some great bands at Partner's... and remember Country star's dropping in while passing through... Does anyone remember Pam Hobb's cover of "Have You Every Seen The Rain"?... banged my head everytime I used that x*%#2 men's room...like walking into a maze...great times...thanks for bringing up a great memory...I can almost taste the seafood special...time for a rum and coke

Date: October 25, 2012 04:51PM

Here's another quiz. Does anyone remember Wayne Gordon and the Rocketeers or The Keene Brothers Band? Both bands were in the early 50's playing places like Chantilly Firehouse, Centerville Firehouse and Franconia Firehouse.

Posted by: Dave Hendrickson ()
Date: December 13, 2012 07:51PM

I remember going there back in the 70's from Marine Barracks in DC.
It was where I first heard Bluegrass music live.I also was there when Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass boys preformed live. Geat times.
I took my then girlfriend fthere for dinner and a show, she loved it.
Don't know if its still there but I had some great times there.

Posted by: memories ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:08PM

Bobb Goff Jr., great singer, still singing with the Mill Run band.
Arnold Hobbs is sadly no longer with us. His banjo player Mike Delaney can be seen with various bands in the area. I was only 12 when i went there with my parents. Odd that they let children into a honky tonk where people were getting wasted and sometimes starting fist fights.

The good old days.

Posted by: billy hancock ()
Date: February 02, 2013 01:16AM

iI can remember when what was to become partners2 was called THE SOCIAL CIRCLE this was in the 1950s

Date: February 04, 2013 04:37PM

Are you the Bill Hancock who knows of what we speak in this thread?

Date: February 16, 2013 04:31PM

Does anyone remember Great Falls Park, Va. back in the 40's and 50's when it was owned by a private concern, before the Federal Government bought them out? There were only (4) amusements there at the time. A merry go round, a beer tavern with an outdoor dance hall, picnic tables and viewing telescopes for viewing the Falls. My parents use to go there for the dances with the big bands and I got to tag along. The merry go round had a mechanical arm that would swing out when you rode it and you could catch the brass ring for a free ride. The telescopes for viewing the falls only coat a nickel.

Posted by: Meredith ()
Date: March 22, 2013 12:16AM

Partners 2 was owned by Arnold Hobbs and my grandfather, Bob Goff, Sr. My dad Bobby Goff Jr and The Hobb sisters played up there since they were kids. Pam had a fantastic voice, but a lot of people remember my dads smooth, pitch perfect tenor, he jammed on the upright bass too. I never had a chance to actually go there- being I was a child then. It's always so touching to hear the stories about our family!

Partners 2 will always be a morale landmark of Fairfax- the good ol days.

Bob Goff jr is still performing in a band called Mill Run- check them out! www.millrunbluegrassband.com

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: April 13, 2013 07:47PM

I am not sure where this discussion is going other than lot of nostalgia stuff.

But I just did a google search on Hunter's Lodge (But not Partners II) and did not see any photo.

Question to ask is : Is there a similar place near Centerville now that is good for young and old like this place?

I live near Vienna, and the old Soundry got shut down when it was across the Vienna Rail Road Station Park.

Now I just found out they reopend a block or so from the old Presbyterian Church and Whole Food Market.

I understand they still have open mike on certain night for "jam lovers".

There must be a place like Soundry now at Centreville ?

Cafe Twin
Attachments:
Dance Now  America PSA 0204.jpg

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:59AM

Who invited you to this discussion, Bandicoot?

Posted by: nsx5400 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:26PM

I always wish it had stayed open after the invasion of the suburbs in the mid 80's.

Growing up in the area, I hated how all the folks moved in from out of the town, and just complained about living here.

I wonder if they would consider it "Clifton" if it were still in existence.

I grew up across the street from Hunter's Lodge, Pig and Chick (later Janet's Place), Family Bargain Center (Merrifield Garden Center uses that for parking now).

Up by Hunter's Lodge, at the corner of West Ox and Lee Hwy, was Old Virginia City (which I didn't learn until later what it was). For years, there was an old, boarded up building, that looked like a small church, and was the last remnant of what was there. It was right beneath the sign for Super 29 Drive-In (I always asked my Mom to go and see the third movie of the triple feature, after we found out it was X rated!).

If memory serves, the drive in, Hunter's Lodge, Janet's Place, the house (or two) and Family Bargain Center were all razed around 1985, so that Price Club could open (in 1986). Home Depot, etc, came along around 1992/3.

My folks are still there (have been since 1979).

I still tell folks about driving over to Fair Oaks Mall, when it opened in 1980, and seeing cows a the pond where office buildings are now.

Thanks for the memories!

Jason

Posted by: Debbie ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:31PM

Does anyone know what happened to Chuck and Sam Campbell who had a band called the Swingers? It was a local band. They also ran a Shell gas station on 29 in Merrifield.

Date: April 28, 2013 09:02AM

Debbie -- In the trip down nostalgia lane on this thread, I too have have wondered what happened to the Campbell Brothers. I worked one or two shows with them in the dim past. I recall their gas station in Merrifield, but I know that they were gone from there by the early '80s.

As you probably know, Merrifield has undergone quite a transformation of gentrification in the intervening years, and you won't recognize it -- approaching from Lee Highway or from Gallows Road. Change from the arrival of Metro is subtle and slow, but it happens. The only reminant of a bygone era is Merrifield Gardens, and one must wonder how much longer it will stay there.

I've not heard any mention of the Campbell brothers since those days.

Date: April 29, 2013 03:12PM

Hi Debbie and Lurker01,

In answer to your question about what happened to the Campbell Brothers, I talked to both Chuck and Sam(I think) about a year and a half ago at the Buddy Chalton's memorial benefit show at the Vienna Moose Lodge. Both are doing fine but have aged just like the rest of us. I too played music with the Campbell Brothers for about a year when they were at the Village Barn in Allentown, Md.That night club too has been torn down.

Date: July 13, 2013 05:06PM

Well folks, looks like this site has run its course. No one seems to want to add anything here. I will still be around if anyone wants to communicate.

Posted by: Linda Kramer ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:58PM

Rick Cooper is In newport NC.

Posted by: Joyce A.B. ()
Date: September 29, 2013 01:51PM

hi Joyce from Nevada. I saw the Father of Bluegrass play at partners Two many years ago. I loved that sweet Bluegrass music. Bill Monroe was the greatest

Posted by: Back IN THE Day ()
Date: October 29, 2013 04:24AM

I ran across two tough Centreville brothers at Partners II one time names were the Whorton Bullies.

I was Pam Hobb's guitar player (1970s)
Posted by: Gary White ()
Date: December 14, 2013 02:58PM

This is Gary White; I played both Partner's Two & hunter's Lodge 1977-78
leader of Raindow Riders 1979 Christopher's US Rt 1 South

Date: December 14, 2013 03:14PM

Partner's Two was NEVER known as a rough-house, while Hunter's Lodge DID have brawls occasionally they had enough bouncers to handle it:
I also played piano for Ricky Cooper & ya should also remember female vocalist Dianne Weatherholtz (who later married Gary Justice, son of Roy justice who ran the Lodge.

I quit Pam Hobbs suddenly cuz she had this (US Navy bandsman) Jeff Agnew who simply refused to shut his steel up long enough to let anyone else in the band be heard (& that suked---!!!)

Is brother Paul Justice still alive? I saw Tony years ago in Florida; he quit music altogether.

Myself, I'm in Hollywood, CA in pursuit of an acting career as Redford G.Westwood; keep an eye out fer me, will ya plez----????

Date: December 14, 2013 03:25PM

Liketa thank Alan Case for givin' the Roy Justice Stringdusters a very deserved(altho very late----) recognition;
Alan knew me well in my Washington DC days (1971-84 or so---):

I'd like to hear from 'im!

Gary White
g.white73@yahoo.com

Date: December 14, 2013 03:33PM

Greatest tune ever recorded by the Stringdusters was the Ballad of Thunder road;

Alan Case, can ya send me a copy (cassette or CD) of that, I promise I'll pay for both the material & shipping (plez send to)

Crawford-White Publishing
PO Bx #541
N.Hollywood, CA 91603

Many thanx ol' buddy(!),
Gary White
PS: Thinkin' bout doin' a movie entitled "Ol' Slik Got 'im"
(Ya remember who usta say that----????)

Correction on Jeff Agnew
Date: December 15, 2013 04:21PM

Jeff Agnew, altho one of the area's top steel players, was never a member of the US Navy Country Currents Band as I stated earlier; in fact, the night I walked out on Pam Hobbs he was playing great but he was drowning out my telecaster with his Shobud; since I'd heard Buddy Emmons do it all 20yrs before I simply packed up & went to Hunters Lodge & commenced drinking.
Jeff & I did work very well together for Jessie James (Mike Page) & the Country Outlaws (Dale Atkins on bass); I never meant to imply that his playing was inferior in any way.

I was playing with the Stringdusters @ the Lodge when they disbanded; Buddy Charleton was on steel & Steve Goff on drums & Cal Neuman on fiddle.
Tommy Dillinger was Ricky Cooper's lead man w'Eddie Dillinger as drummer.
Flip Bocker was the strinduster drummer after Don Bradshaw left in 1971;
Bradshaw went with Oscar Shields & the Schiloh Playboys @ Plaza 7; yours truly on lead & Clyde Bloodworth on steel & we enjoyed Brenda Clark on bass (Brenda could sing Rocky Top & clog at the same time, last time I saw her was @ The Hall of Fame in Nashville w/Jimmy Snyder.

Over on the Maryland side on cannot forget the Village Barn w'Carl nelson on piano & fiddle; also the Smokey Mac band & the Campbell Bro. (Sam & Chuck):
Those were th' DAYS----!!!!!!
Sincerely, Gary White

Date: December 16, 2013 07:18PM

In 1973 Roy Self left Hunters Lodge (temporarily) to form Roy Self & the Country Young'ns with Chas Carroll (drums) Lynn Strauff (Steel) & myself (Gary White) on lead guitar. (David Stout of Johnson Cty, TN became th' vocalist @ th' Lodge until Big came back).
We played one season @ The Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD then the band (with the exception of Chas Carroll who stayed @ the Crossroads to form the Heavy Country Band) went to Randy's California Inn (Laurel) w/Blind Benny Dean.

It was there Tony Cornell (Younger Bros Band) gave me a listen-to & soon offered me a job w/Billy "Crash' Craddock in Greensboro, NC;
I stayed w/Crash 8mo but returned to DC to be with my family.

Sincerely,
Gary White

Date: December 16, 2013 09:08PM

I know many of those you mention, GW, and indeed I and others have mentioned 'em above. I often wonder which of 'em are still around.

I guess all saw that Ray Price, purveyor of that eponymous shuffle that was so often heard at the Lodge, has died. Big Roy Self was a master of that vocal syle. Late at night, after hours, Roy and I occasionally fantasised about forming a band to be called The Shuffle Kings that played only that stuff.

Very few make such a contribution that their name is forever connected with a musical signature: the Chuck Berry lick, the Bo Diddley beat, and the Ray Price Shuffle, to name a few.

Date: January 19, 2014 04:28PM

As many of you probably don't know, Rudy Gabriletto passed away on January 9th. He was the Steel Guitar Player for the Stringdusters for many years. He will truly be missed. There will be a Memorial Service at National Memorial Funeral Home/Park on Saturday February 1st, 2014 at 11:oo am. The address id 7482 Lee Highway, Falls Church, Va. 22042.

Posted by: Marc Mordue ()
Date: March 10, 2014 11:13AM

I was the health inspector Partners 2, Hunters Lodge, Bull Run Grill, Janets Place, Fishermens III, Paynes, all the great old places that once dotted Rte 29. Things have certainly changed and not for the better in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Marc Mordue ()
Date: March 11, 2014 10:44PM

I mentioned earlier that I was the health inspector for these places back in the early 1980's. All great places, except for maybe Bull Run Grill. That one was a health inspectors nightmare. Straight pipe from the restroom to the creek running behind it. I saved the files for each one as it closed. So I have quite a bit of information on all these locations, even took pictures of them at the time. When I locate them, I will post the pictures I have. I even have a small bar in my Fairfax home that came from Hunters Lodge. It was in the far back room next to the fireplace. Handmade and have enjoyed it for years. I had heard that Tom Sanders had stored the original dance floor in hopes of opening a new bar where Home Depot is. Some state law about not allowing a new dance floor in any clubs. Obviously never happened. I ran into him several years after he closed Hunters Lodge and he was a driver for the Pepsi Distributor off of 50 in Chantilly. I heard that he passed away many years ago.
Someone mentioned Janet's Place. That was the old Pig and Chix and was located about 1/5 mile east of Hunters Lodge on the same side of 29. Its where the entrance road is to go into Home Depot. Janet passed away several years ago.
The last of the clubs from Fairfax to Centreville, John's Place, which was once the Green Dolphin and The New Orleans Chef closed Jan 2013. The owner John Shokoor passed away Feb 24th, 2014. An end of an era.

Posted by: assdasd ()
Date: March 12, 2014 11:39AM

yeah

Posted by: lynn ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:18PM

I loved all of those places, and although a little young (lol) got in a few times. For you all who are looking for pics...the TDbank has a great mural of old Centreville ,they may have access to some old pics.

And I miss Paynes!

Posted by: lynn ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:21PM

And it was Ewells grill. I went to school with the Ewells.

Date: June 17, 2014 04:29PM

Mordue - that's a nice story about the bar. Very cool.

I took some stuff to the dump this morning. I drove slowly as I turned off of 29, trying to catch the long lost vibe.

Date: July 14, 2014 04:18PM

Does anyone know where Jack Ledbetter is or living these days? He was
the lead guitar player for the Stringdusters. He has simply dropped out
of site.

Date: July 15, 2014 07:38AM

Is Don Bradshaw still around?

Date: July 15, 2014 03:42PM

Yes, Bradshaw is still around but not doing well according to Bill Lewis.

Date: August 05, 2014 07:28PM

this is Gary White, lead guitar player stringdusters 1977-78, so sad to hear Paul is no longer with us; he has always been my favorite fiddler (along w/Carl Nelson of course.
Had no idea Paul was in CA; my home is Paramount, CA:
It is great what Alan Sykes is doin' to bring back fond memories of those days, his girl friend Karen was good friend w/my ex Roxanne,

Sincerely,
Gary White

Posted by: Dink ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:17AM

Partners II was owned by the Hobbs family, the daughters were Pam and Becky.
Hunter's Lodge was last owned by Roy Justice.

Date: September 10, 2014 04:06PM

Anybody been able to locate Jack Ledbetter yet. He was the lead guitar player with the Stringdusters back in the day? I was told he does not want any communication with any of his fellow musicians. Kind of selfish don't you think?

Date: September 11, 2014 05:15PM

I respect Jack's wishes.

partners 2/socialcircle/hunters loddge buddy charlton
Posted by: Billy Hancock ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:00AM

I played with Danny for 6 years .I remember going with him to The Lodge and jammin after hours with Buddy Charlton, Roy and Paul Justis and a curly haired drummer that escapes me somehow.One night we brought Roy Buchanan with us .We all had long hair,The first time I thought we were going to get killed but after we played everything was fine. I also worked with both Stuart lee and Tommy Lee Brooks.

Date: September 19, 2014 04:05PM

That curly haired drummer was Don Bradshaw.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:22PM

HAPPY HAWOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!!

Date: November 05, 2014 08:29AM

Bill Hancock -- (I ran into you many years ago in the clubs in Waldorf.)

Regarding your thought about " . . . I thought we were going to get killed . . . " I know that's hyperbole but I get your thought. What you note is the defining factor of the community created by Roy: inclusiveness. As you'll recall, for Roy and Paul it was all about the art; all about the music. They had unbelievably eclectic taste, and a deep respect for all forms of music and committed musicians. The community the fostered was truly unique, and still sorely missed -- as are they.

Posted by: ~Denise ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:07PM

I 'remember' Partner's 2, well, stories of it mostly, told by my Mom, Dad, and all of the older generation of my family (I'm 51). I also remember talk of 'SOCIAL CIRCLE', and one of my family's favorites, and mine, The HUNTER'S LODGE', (as my Mama used to be a hostess there at one time, and would 'smuggle' me in to dance with my family, who were all fantastic dancers, swing, shag, JITTERBUG!)and Mama would have me sing occasionally for the owner/(mgr) who loved to hear me sing anything Patsy Cline.

I cannot for the life of me find pictures...I so wish I had pictures of the old places. They meant so much to my family, and I cherished all the fun and exciting stories told around a breakfast table at 3am in the morning, with laughter, music, and an occasional outbreak of dance! ;)

Pictures, anyone?

Born to late!

~Denise

Date: November 13, 2014 06:10PM

I sure remember talk of it, and once enjoyed listening to my Mama, and Jimmy Dean reminiscing about it, as they had been 'friends' back in their early days. ;)

~Denise

Date: November 13, 2014 06:16PM

Can you refresh my memory? What was 'Paynes'? I wonder since my maiden name was Payne.

~Denise

Attn Marc Mordue
Date: November 13, 2014 06:38PM

Hi Marc,
Thank you for sharing that story. I think I remember your bar!... I so loved Hunters Lodge, as it was like hallowed ground to me, growing up listening to all the stories, looking through my family's photos, and from around 15 or 16 being allowed to go in, to dance occasionally, and to sing even, with bands like the Stringdusters, the Southern Gentlemen, and others from time to time. Dancing and music were obsessions for my Mama's family, and I believe my Mama and Daddy met at a dance. Not sure if it was Hunters Lodge, Social Circle, or Partners 2...
Would you remember the one that Patsy Cline most frequented? Omgosh the stories I grew up hearing. My Mama and she were friends, (I grew up on her music, and loved her from my earliest memories, though I was born in 63.) and she happened to be the only woman my Grandma ever seethed over, because she made Grandma jealous, because she loved my Grandaddy George's dancing, and Patsy nicknamed him, 'Twinkle Toes Mcgee', and openly flirted with him. My grandma loved to hear me sing, but when it came to a Patsy Cline tune, which I loved, she'd grit her teeth! LOL
MAN, I would have loved being born a few years earlier!

Attn Speedo- Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Date: November 13, 2014 06:54PM

Speedo,

I THOUGHT I remembered there was a recording studio! After I had sung there at Hunters a time or two, I believe Mr. Justice contacted some musicians and wanted my Mama to let me record some songs with them. He told her he'd back me, and we would see how things went...from then on, I was allowed to come and go from Hunters Lodge, but things never panned out for recording. Just didn't come together.

I would dearly love to see pictures.... I too can close my eyes, and see the inside. I remember coming back to N. Va. After being in SanDiego with my new Navy husband, and finding out the Lodge had been closed...made me cry, because it was like, 'an era had passed'.

I'm not even sure how I stumbled across this page here tonight, but what a jog down memory lane. I hope I'll find my way back to see if anyone has replied.
;)

~Denise

Ps: my Mama was, Beckie Lee Thomas Dove (Cavaco)
Daddy was Kenneth Lee Payne
Grandma was Alma Thomas Quick
Grandaddy was George 'Twinkle Toes' Quick
Uncles: Johnny Thomas, and Woody Thomas- aka 'Popeye'

Posted by: Looloo14 ()
Date: November 14, 2014 09:01PM

I was born and raised in Fairfax County. As a kid back in the 19040's, my parents used to take us on day trips to Great Falls as there wasn't much else to do on a weekend. I remember very well the beautiful old merry-go-round and trying to catch the brass ring. I also remember the building that was known as the tavern. The sides of the building were open so you could see the falls. I remember the jukebox, the floor for dancing; you could buy food and beer. And I remember the telescope, and for a nickle, you could get an up close view of the falls. What good memories.

Date: November 17, 2014 04:14PM

Hi Folks, Great to see more postings about Hunters Lodge and what's dear to my heart, Great Falls, Va. I too remember the park with the old merry go round, the beer tavern and the telescopes for viewing the Falls. I was born and raised just one mile from the Falls and rode the merry go round during the 1940's. If you recall, every time you would catch the Brass ring it meant a free ride. You would always try to ride a horse on the outside of the merry go round. I also remember the teen parties there on the weekends during the 1950's and the hot rod cars get together. Where have the years gone?

Posted by: feehan ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:35PM

Then you knew Rudy.He was my uncle.

Date: December 29, 2014 04:43PM

Hi feehan, I assume that your reply was intended for me. Yes I knew Rudy. Rudy and I were very close. I was at his funeral. We both were from Virginia and I met Rudy in 1959 when he lived in falls church. Many a night we jammed at Hunters Lodge until the sun came up. Those were the great days of playing music for me.

Posted by: lurker01 ()
Date: January 05, 2015 08:51AM

feehan, I knew Rudy too, although not at all well. I loved his playing -- always tasteful, always soulful. I heard him many times at the Lodge; Long after the days at the Lodge, I had the distinct pleasure of working with him once at a Moose Lodge.

Posted by: JKR ()
Date: February 16, 2015 01:34PM

Hi. I ran across this by accident while doing a search w/ Partners II in my browser. Although no one has posted anything for 3 1/2 years, here's my two cents:

I worked at the Partners II for about 3 months, from September through November of 1973. Although the building was a dive, the music there was amazing! I had the remarkable pleasure of seeing many great groups play in my short tenure there...all for FREE--while I waited tables running food and drinks to the customers.

One group, whose name I cannot remember, had a couple of really super yodeling songs in their repertoire. I saw Mac Wiseman, The Osborn Brothers, and of course the Hobbs sisters, among others. And, I waited on Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer once....

The guy who cooked the food liked to be called "Chef". He had come from the restaurant that operated in (or near) the Holiday Inn in Fairfax. The food was awful - all frozen stuff that was reheated and/or deep fried.

I have some really great memories, but no pictures, alas. There is more to this story, but won't put it here.

As far as the prior names of that building - I was told in 1973 it had previously been known as the "Fairfax Social Club" and was pretty infamous for the rough clientele.

Date: February 16, 2015 01:39PM

Well, sorry about the missing 3 1/2 years....after I posted my thoughts, the next 3 1/2 came up! :(

Date: February 17, 2015 04:14PM

Welcome aboard JKR. The Fairfax Social Club that you refer to was a
club called The Social Circle. It was a very rough dive back in the
day. I never played music there, but was playing at Hunters Lodge just
down the road during the 70's.

Date: February 21, 2015 09:58AM

JKR -- great hearing your reminisces of that joint. You can go on with the rest of the stories. LOL Your anonymity here is assured. Haha.

Yes the food was awful. And that men's room: low ceilings, low overhead pipes, one very large fixture. haha. But great fun every time.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:27AM

OMG!!! Joe!!! Good to see your post. I went on this site today after a few years to check it out and saw your name. My name is Cheryl. I was at Big K Radio back in the early 1980's after winning a contest. Great to see your name on this site.

Re: Club Fairfax and Hunter's Lodge
Posted by: Ron N. ()
Date: March 29, 2015 04:52PM

I played guitar for Bobby Brown at the Club Fairfax shortly after it opened in 1970. Tommy Lee Brooks played for a while with us. The club was owned by Gene Baker at the time. After Bobby quit playing, I played with Jr. Gill and Chuck Tilley there in the Wild Card Band. Jr. and Chuck left to play with Roy Buchanan, but we regrouped about a year later. I played many jam sessions on weekends at Hunter's Lodge with Roy Self, Paul and Roy, Danny Gatton, and many other local players. Those were the greatist of times for me. That is where I got most of my country exposure. I later played guitar in the Silver Band with Tick Bryant. We spent a lot of time at Christopher's (Cow Palace), Hill Billy Heaven and the Cross Roads in Bladensburg, MD. Many of the people mentioned in this blog are people that I know i.e. Joey Martin, Billy Handcock, Gant Kushner, Mike Parker, Danny Gatton, and more. This site has brought back so many good memories for me. People really enjoyed themselves at all those clubs. Sorry they are gone. Thanks!

Date: March 29, 2015 05:37PM

So, Speedo, who did you play with and what instruments did you play there?

Luker01--not going to fill in any details here....just know that the Partners 2 management believed a lie about me and I was let go....and the rest will never be disclosed....

Does anyone looking at this thread know the group with the amazing yodeler? I would love to see some interesting youtubes from the Partners 2...

JKR

Date: April 01, 2015 04:54PM

Hi JKR, Thanks for the inquiry. I played at Hunters Lodge with The Midniters Band for about 6 years. We were the 2nd band to the Stringdusters every Friday and Saturday night. If you remember, it was music non stop from 9:00 till 1:00. I was the drummer for The Midniters Band. Ater closing time we jammed all night.

Speedo

Date: April 03, 2015 07:34AM

Ron N. -- I'd not thought about Gene and Sharon Baker in many years until your post reminded me of them. I wonder what became of them?

Right on regarding Roy Self, Paul & Roy, and the rest of the crew. Good times from an era that has passed.

Posted by: Melisa ()
Date: April 10, 2015 06:32PM

I am the niece of Paul & Roy Justice. I am looking for pictures of them playing and maybe some music that may now have been transferred to CD's. I keep in touch with Mel Tillis and he has provided some stuff with Paul on it. And just to add a note of what a great man Mel is...he and his band drove all the way from Florida to Rainsville, AL to attend and play at the memorial service for Paul and Roy. It was a beautiful service. Mel spoke but would not sing because he did not want it to be about him. I admire him so much for his attendance when I know how busy he is. And also wanted to let you know that Paul and Roy were both cremated and are actually buried together with a twin fiddle headstone. It represents them perfectly. I miss them both so very much but especially Paul. I lived closer to him than Roy so I saw him quite often when he wasn't out on the road with Mel. The whole Justice family were great people. I'm glad that so many people speak kindly about them and have fond memories of hearing them play. They definitely were 2 of the best fiddle players ever!! If any of you have any pictures or info on either of them...please email me at melisak@bellsouth.net. Thank you.

Date: April 11, 2015 08:56AM

Melisa -- Thank you for your post. That's a very nice story about the memorial service and the headstone. Makes me think of those two guys and the enormous respect I have for them. I learned so much from them, regarding commitment to the art form and the importance being open to appreciate all kinds of music. Their kindness will never be forgotten among the community of musicians and fans that they touched.

Date: April 14, 2015 04:18PM

Hi Melisa, I two want to thank you for your story about Roy and Paul. You mentioned that you are the niece of Roy and Paul. Are you the daughter of their sister who lived in California or the daughter of Bill Justice or Tony justice?

Posted by: Mike hibner ()
Date: May 29, 2015 07:37PM

I grew up in arlington Va. In the late 60's and early 70's my mother used to frequent hunters lodge and see the string dusters. Her best friend was Mary Bacher. Mary's husband Flip played drums for the stringdusters. She used to talk about the justice brothers doing the twin fiddles and how good they were. Also, a friend of hers named Les Poole used to play music there occasionally. You probably know Flip and Mary, and if you do you probably know my mother...her mane was Greta.
This is an old thread by Holla back at me if you read this.
Thanks

Date: June 05, 2015 04:25PM

Hi Mike,

I don't remember the drummer Flip playing for the Stringdusters. When I became part of the team at Hunters Lodge, Don Bradshaw was playing drums. I still miss all of those guys.

Posted by: mats ()
Date: June 05, 2015 08:48PM

I do remember that The Hobbs Sisters and Bob Goff Jr. was a first place winner at the Warrenton National Bluegrass Fes. in 1974 and 1975. I have a photo of the band. See attached. I wonder if anybody knows what Connie and Pam are doing.
Attachments:
431358_10150760503052931_530067930_9432194_715373568_n.jpg

Date: June 06, 2015 07:26AM

Mats: What a nice picture. Thank you. And on what's up with Pam and Connie these days -- there's a nice posting above in the hundreds on this thread from Bob Goff, Jr. that articulates what they're all doing these days. [NB I show three pages of comments on this thread; you'll have to page back and wade through a few hundred postings.]

Mike H; -- Yes, I remember Flip playing drums.

Melissa -- Did you get any pictures in response to your post?

Posted by: Mats ()
Date: June 06, 2015 05:00PM

Hi Lurker01, Found Bobby's posting. Thank you. 2 other good old day photos attached. You can see Arnold on stage! Cheers.
Attachments:
SCN_0029.jpg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Posted by: Mike Hibner ()
Date: June 14, 2015 11:12AM

I did some googling and I see that Flip has, im sorry to say, passed away.

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=162752206&referrer=0&preview=True

Date: July 14, 2015 04:48PM

Hi Folks, I am looking for some pictures of Hunters Lodge. Exterior and interior pictures. If anyone can help me please post them or give me your contact number.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: stuball ()
Date: July 24, 2015 10:02PM

Anyone know if Rick Cooper is still alive and if so where he lives? Was a friend of his YEARS ago when he played aith the 3rd shift at Hunters Lodge in the 70s. Any onr know? ThNks Stu

Date: July 26, 2015 10:49AM

Stuball - above, there's one brief post from someone claiming to be Rick. Also, there are posts from a few who are in touch with him; apparently he lives in North Carolina.

I'd like to know what's up with two of Rick' sidekicks too: Tommy and Eddie Dillinger.

Posted by: PORCUPINE ()
Date: August 09, 2015 09:11PM

Hello all. I too remember all those hot spots and more. My father was a Fairfax co policeman and a super banjo player. All the names mentioned in these posts were pals of his and some of mine as well.We lived in Great Falls and went to the park often,rode the merry-go-round all day till mom opened the picnic basket. We each got a nickel to put in the viewer to look out at the falls.I remember Buck's store too.A nickel would get a lot of candies in a tiny brown paper sack.Dad took me to all those night spots since he was a cop and musician and I started playing guitar at age 6,he'd drag me along and take me up on stage to play and sing.First cash I ever got was at Hunter's Lodge. Man who ran the place gave me $5.oo after I sang Rocky Top. I was 9 years old then.That was at a time when I was soaking up music and vocals like a sponge. Dad never drank so I was always safe and well watched wherever we went.Later on we picked a lot at Shakey's pizza.Good times and provided me with a memorable childhood packed with the best people ever.I still see Bob Goff,Jr at bluegrass shows here and there. For anyone who may wonder, my Dad's name was Richard Peters and folks called him "Pete". I have enjoyed reading these stories of places and people from my early days.Thanks to all.

Posted by: ksun12 ()
Date: September 09, 2015 11:24PM

I remember the area well I grew up in Fairfax city. My dad and mom used to go dancing at hunters lodge and partners 2 also social circle before I was born.

I remember Virginia City a little bit. My dad loved to listen to the steel guitar player rudy gabraletto. He took me one night with them and I fell in love with steel guitar its so beautiful.

does anyone know if rudy still plays anymore anywhere?

Date: September 10, 2015 02:48PM

Hi ksun12, Rudy Gabriletto died Jan. 9th 2014. I think he was 81. He is truly missed by all of us.

Posted by: ksun12 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 04:29AM

Thanks speddo for letting me know Rudy Gabriletto passed away. Indeed a great loss.

Do you happen to know any bands in Virginia or Maryland or dc area that have steel guitar players, I would love to go hear a band again with the steel.

Its such a beautiful instrument.

Date: September 12, 2015 03:34PM

Yes I agree, the steel guitar is a beautiful instrument. Its my favorite. Since I retired from playing music, I've lost contact with a lot of the latest bands, but there is a band in Southern Maryland called South Bound with Ray Chilton playing steel guitar. I think they are still around.

Good luck

Date: October 09, 2015 05:19PM

Hi Folks,
Does anyone remember MIDWAY HALL which was located to the west of Manasass?
A great place to dance back in the 40 and 50's.

Date: October 16, 2015 05:25PM

Hi Folks,

Does anyone remember Tysons Corner when at the intersection of RT.7 and Rt. 123
there was only a stop sign on each side of 123 and Rt. 7 was a two lane road?
Also on one corner was a Beer Tavern, one corner was a gas station, one corner was a meat locker facility and the other corner a farm. I think I have this right!!!

Date: October 19, 2015 01:09PM

Refresh me, Speedo. Hugo's, Sam Shipp's, and Miidway Hall run together in my mind.

Date: October 21, 2015 04:37PM

Hi Lurker01, I don't remember Hugo's or Sam Shipp's but Midway Hall I think use to be a Roller Skating Rink and was used for dances on weekend nights. I played music there when I was 17 years old and made $6.00 for a 4 hour gig.

Date: October 25, 2015 08:48PM

speedo -- I somehow think that all three clubs were in that part of the county -- the same part as Midway Hall. Hugo's and Sam Ship's were just slightly before my time, however. I did hear the names of those other two clubs, but they were gone I think by the time I was playing.

Do I recall correctly -- Midway Hall was on Route 17, south of Opal? I think? Do I remember this correctly? Possibly Morrisville? Or maybe that's where the other two were. Can't quite recall.

Date: October 28, 2015 04:42PM

Hi Lurker01, I'm not sure exaxtly where Midway Hall was, but seem to remember that it was on RT. 28 maybe just west of Manasass. That was a long time ago. I was playing with a band called Wayne Gordon and the ROCKETEERS. It was the pioneer days of Rock and Roll.

Date: December 19, 2015 04:24PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you that live in Northern Virginia or use to live in Northern Virginia. Hope you have a prosperous New Year.

Date: February 15, 2016 03:50PM

Sad News!!!! A long time friend and fellow musician has passed away. Bill Flammer died on February 4, 2016. He was a local musician in the Washington DC area for many years. He played at the Village Barn, Hunters Lodge, The Wig Wam and many others. He was 77 years old. God rest his soul.

Date: February 27, 2016 08:45AM

Hey Speedo. I last posted about 4 years ago. Glad to see this is sill going. I used to hang out at partners 2. I recently taed to someone who went there in the early 80's. We both enjoyed listening to Pam Hobbs. In fact, her drummer lived in my neighborhood. I tried to Google Pam Hobbs but for some reason I could not find anything. Curious to know what happened to her and where she is.

Date: February 27, 2016 03:14PM

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, and I was delighted to see two new postings -- although one of them is sad. I didn't know Mr. Flammer

Cheryl -- Bob Goff Jr. has posted some info above in this thread on Pam, Connie, and others from that era, and what they're up to now.

Which of Pam's drummers lived near you? I've wondered what happened to Eddie Dillinger.

Date: February 27, 2016 07:59PM

Hey. Thanks for the info. On Pam Hobbs. I don't remember the name of the drummer. He played in her band around 1982. The only other info. I can give is that he lived in Broyhill Crest in Annandale. At that time he had 2 or 3 small children. He had brown hair and a mustache. Not sure if it is the same guy.

Posted by: Carol bradley ()
Date: June 04, 2016 10:47PM

My father played in several bands at partners to he also made dobros for many of the the people in the many bands that played he would play with a guy name kenny hadick i was 7 or8 and my parents would take us there fights would start we would hide under the tables my dad don bradley played the dobro

Posted by: Inferno ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:43PM

Partners 2 was the last of what it was before it had a fire. If I'm remembering it correctly, the fire department let it burn almost to the ground before putting it out. I think they were using it for training, even though they didn't start it. Also, a firefighter hurt their back while working the fire. I can't remember all of the details, but I do know that it caught fire somehow.

Posted by: musicfn91 ()
Date: June 29, 2016 03:07PM

i grew up in hunters lodge.....my mother sang in a band that played there for years.......

Posted by: musicfan ()
Date: June 29, 2016 03:17PM

i am related to roy through marriage....and i grew up in hunters lodge my mom was the singer in his band ...for years.....i love the memories that these posts are bringing back

Date: July 04, 2016 02:38PM

Hi Musicfan,

Are you by chance the son or daughter of Linda Lee who use to sing with the Stringdusters?

Date: July 05, 2016 10:01AM

Musicfan, great to hear from you. I recall a woman singer there who was going with one of the non-fiddling brothers, but I can't quite recall the name.

And by the way, thank you, Winnie, wherever your may be, for originating this dandy thread.

Date: July 23, 2016 03:44PM

Hi Folks, Here's one for you!!!

Does anyone remember the big band dances at the pavilion at Great Falls, Virginia? The pavilion was located in the Great Falls Park long before the Federal Government took it over. My parents use to ball room dance there.

Posted by: DottieA ()
Date: July 28, 2016 09:10PM

Hey Speedo, where did you go to school/ I know all the places you mention

Date: August 01, 2016 03:17PM

Hi DottieA,

I went to Herndon High School.

Posted by: Jamie Akers ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:40PM

I do from way back in the day

Posted by: JimG ()
Date: September 25, 2016 10:37AM

Partners II was owned by Bob Goff and Arnold Hobbs, Bob left the club and moved to the Northern Neck and Arnold and his wife kept it open. It was not owned by Roy Justice or Paul Justice.. My brother-in-law Bob Goff Jr. is still picking in a bluegrass ban called Mill Run Bluegrass Band and they have several c.d.'s out.

Date: September 29, 2016 03:18PM

Hi Jamie Akers, Did you go to herndon high school and what years?

Date: December 13, 2016 01:50PM

It is appaling to see such erroneous info made public: I played guitar @ Partners Two w/Pam Hobbs in the 70s & NEVER experienced ANY sort of trouble (or under-age drinking) there:
Could your false statements simply be the results of a very drunken memory?

Gary White

Date: December 13, 2016 01:52PM

Try Patty Bankston, huh?

Posted by: Smitty ()
Date: December 16, 2016 02:09PM

Midway Hall was located in Calverton just about a 1/2 mile West of Route 28. Calverton is about 8-10 miles South of Nokesville (15 miles or so from Manassas). I used to rollerskate there as a Kid in the 70's. They did have dancing as well. For years, after Midway Hall closed, they had a "Flea Market" there at that same building.

Hugo's was a skate rink/dance hall on Route 17 South of Bealeton. Hugo's heyday was in the 80's.

I have lived in Fauquier County all of my life (47 years) and I have never heard of Sam Shipp's. Not to say it wasn't a place to dance, I just don't remember it. There used to be a wild place called Glendale's which was in the Morrisville area off of Route 17 South of Bealeton and Hugo's.

Posted by: Jamarie ()
Date: December 17, 2016 09:03PM

No Hunter's Lodge was always Hunters Lodge, Tommy Sanders owned, or ran it last...he opened up Tommy's in Manassas afterwards. Partners 11 was run/owned by Gene after it was Social Circle...that was mid 60's.... some great memories at both places...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:30PM

Wasn't Hugo's in Culpepper or Front Royal... I remember that name...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:36PM

Nope Gary White

I used to go to there when I was a teen, saw lots of fights, of course I didn't drink, but did later on before I was 21. My brother-in-law had his throat cut in there...and he was asleep when he was attacked...my niece was born in 72 and she was born when that happened. But the really bad fights happened in the mid , late 60's..the the police started hanging there...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:52PM

Found this in the FX CO POLICE newsletter...was this your dad??

Officer Richard W. “Pete” Peters (Ret.)
Date of Passing: February 19, 2012
Richard W. Peters was born June 28, 1931, in Washington,
D.C. He served in the United States Army during the
Korean War, serving at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. He
was a member of the military police and played in the
Army/Navy band. After serving his tour of duty, Pete
joined the Fairfax County Police Department in November
1957, and was assigned to the Patrol Division. His
assignments included the McLean District Station. He
retired in July 1977.
Upon his retirement he moved to Florida to live out his
dream of owning and running a charter fishing boat. He
loved to hunt and fish. Pete was an entertainer, loving to
play his banjo and make people laugh. He played live
radio shows and music festivals around the country.
Pete is survived by his wife, Joan, three daughters, one
son, ten grandchildren, twelve great-grandchildren, and his
dog, Snert.

Date: December 18, 2016 07:56PM

Thank You I could Not remember Gene's last name...!!

Date: December 19, 2016 09:52AM

It wasn't called Partner's Two when Gene and Sharon Baker ran it. It was I think Club Fairfax.

Gary, I too recall that Arnold's place was not a den of violence. I agree with you, man. (I knew you, btw, back in the day.)

Date: December 21, 2016 08:04AM

There's a jazz club, called the Epicure, on Rt. 29 just south of Kamp Washington. I had a sense of deja vu in there; I'm pretty sure there was a beer and music joint in this same location many years ago. No one behind the bar was aware of what thinking of. Does anyone recall what this place was once called?

Date: December 31, 2016 09:21AM

Happy New Year to Northern , VA. Lurker01, I don,t recall the place you mention in Camp Washington. Maybe someone of the other followers will. As I had mentioned several years ago, does anyone Remember Carvin Run Dance Hall that was located in Great Falls back in the 40,s and 50,s? There were dances every Saturday nites.

Posted by: Barbara ()
Date: January 25, 2017 01:26AM

You mention the Pig-n-Chic. I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me anything more about it, good or bad. My grandparents owned the place but I was to young to go in it so it was never allowed. I remember my dad talking about the older Joey Chitwood coming in an drinking there and they really got on well with each other. If anyone had pics that would be even better! Unfortunately my dad and grandparents are all gone so I can't ask them any questions. Thanks!

Posted by: Green Dolphin Memories ()
Date: March 23, 2017 08:20PM

Andy Reeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that Partners II was a relatively "new
> place" in town and I think owned by the same folks
> who owned Bachelors II (the disco) near Fairfax
> Triangle. The Green Dolphin (across the road from
> Toys-R-Us) was another infamous dive with live
> music. Actually, Hunters Lodge was an institution
> with Heavy Country, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan and
> others playing in its latter days. Early days
> included Pasty Cline, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells,
> and other legends. Great place-- mowed it down to
> put up a parking lot.

Some of the youngsters on this forum have no idea what Fairfax was like before it was invaded - The Green Dolphin was a landmark.

Date: May 09, 2017 08:28AM

Was The Green Dolphin where the Epicure jazz club is now? I think it was at least right along there in that strip mall?

Posted by: Stephanie ()
Date: June 06, 2017 12:38AM

I saw The Country Gentlemen or Seldom Scene at Partners 2, had to be the end of the year 1981. It was my 11th birthday and my dad, who played bluegrass himself, took me and whichever band it was sang happy birthday to me. I ate fried shrimp tails and all (I didn't know any different).

Date: June 28, 2017 02:11PM

Does anyone remember the old Hornets Nest food joint that was located next to the old Herndon Theater? It was mostly used by Herndon High School students back in the 1950's. Rock and roll bands played in the theater during the afternoons.

Posted by: SandersP ()
Date: July 13, 2017 11:59PM

What Memories reading all these posts brings back memories.The last owners of Hunter's Lodge was Tom and Doris Sanders which bought the business from Roy Justice, the property and building were owned by Maxine Faircloth. I've seen mention of different names of people and wondering what they're doing these days Rick Cooper is alive and well living in North Carolina he just celebrated his 70th birthday and of course he was front and center singing to everybody that would listen. I know this because June 14th Flag Day was the birthdays of Rick Cooper, Tom Sanders, Arnold Hobbs and myself- Paul Sanders also Linda Kramer the wife of the drummer that played in Ricky's band prior to Eddie Dillinger his name was Larry Kramer. I do have pictures of Hunter's Lodge the inside and out and some photos of people celebrating inside in the 1980s before Hunter's Lodge close.

Date: July 16, 2017 12:49PM

Hi Paul, glad you joined the forum. I would really be interested in obtaining copies of pictures of Hunters Lodge from you. I would be willing to pay for what ever the cost would be. Hunters Lodge was very dear to me back in the day. I played there for 6 years with the Midniters Band along side of the Stringdusters. I was very close to the Justice boys. If you would post your email address or phone number I will contact you.

Date: July 17, 2017 10:53PM

SandersP - Thanks, man. Can you post your pictures here?

Good to hear about Rick Cooper. Do you know anything about where Eddie and Tommmy Dillinger are These days?

Date: December 09, 2017 04:53PM

Merry Christmas everyone. I talked to Tony Justice last week, and he is doing fine. Tony is the brother of Roy and Paul Justice. He lives in Lecanto, Fla now.

Also talked to Ray Chilton (steel guitar player) last week. He also is doing fine.

Posted by: FreeMoney ()
Date: December 11, 2017 10:30AM

The app "GetUpside" will give you cash back when you buy gas. In the app you claim the gas station, then you upload a photo of your receipt. No catch, no scam, I'm using it and got some friends and family on it.

Some stations do like 10 cents others do as high as 25 cents.. AND you can get an extra 20c on your first fill up when you sign up with code HGWM5

It also gives you credit to the gas station, which is further incentive. So if you get a tire rotation or buy something in the store, you will receive cash back from those purchases as well.

Spread the word, spread the code, and lets get more participating gas stations! This kind of thing will add up over time so be patient.

Download the app here. or get it from the google play store or apple app store.

Bill Hancock?
Posted by: Lutker01 ()
Date: January 23, 2018 08:05AM

Did anyone see that Bill Hancock has died? I saw one reference to his death on a Link Wray site tweet, but I haven’t seen an obituary.

Note that there is at least one posting on this thread from someone who used the handle of Billy Hancock, the name he used later in his career.

Posted by: KMW ()
Date: February 10, 2018 10:01PM

Got to reminiscing . . Took A lot to find this site. I knew those places. Worked off duty part time at Club Fairfax (your Partners 2, I guess) and Hunting Lodge when I was with FCPD.

Posted by: mxmvh ()
Date: June 23, 2018 03:53PM

Came across this story from 1968. Does anyone know the background of what happened? Was anyone ever prosecuted?
Attachments:
Donald Pruitt.jpg

Date: July 25, 2018 01:21PM

I went to the dump yesterday, on Old Ox Road. As I was returning, heading south getting ready to turn onto Rt. 29, I pressed a few buttons on xM and stopped on a shuffle, just as I passed COSTCO. readers of this thread know what was once there. I had caught the vibe; I nearly missed the turn. Great memories.

Posted by: Skid Row ()
Date: October 25, 2018 02:56PM

I remember Hunter`s Lodge, and the Social Circle made Huntere`s look like a wine & cheese bistro.

Date: December 07, 2018 09:02PM

I just talked to my good friend Jim Moore. We were talking about the good times playing music there. I too really miss those times so I know What you are talking Lurker01.

Posted by: Also anonymous ()
Date: August 30, 2019 03:13AM

My wife and I frequently went to Partners II on Saturday evening to listen to Bluegrass. It was so good. We enjoyed both the house band and whichever main attraction was booked, and were never disappointed. We heard some top notch Bluegrass and it was a great way to end a long work week. I particularly liked that the place would quiet down when the music started. It was because of Partners II that we were able to see so many good Bluegrass bands.

I attached some aerial photos of Partners II, the Hunting Lodge and the Lee Highway corridor from 1976. The Willow Spring Towing and Betty's Azalea Ranch properties are still intact, but little else is. The whole area has been completely transformed over the last 40+ years and the vehicle traffic is ruinous. It was truly a different place back then.
Attachments:
Partners II 1976 Aerial Photo.jpg
Hunters Lodge 1976 Aerial Photo.jpg
Hunters Lodge 1976 Aerial Photo 2.jpg
Willow Spring Towing 2019.jpg
Bettys Azalea Ranch 2019.jpg
Lee Hwy 1976.jpg
Lee Hwy 2019.jpg

Date: October 20, 2019 05:45PM

You probably saw that Sam Campbell died a week or so ago. He and his brother Chuck performed at Partners II and many other local places. I wasn't aware that he was still living in Fairfax. I'd not seen either of them in a very long while. Back in the day, they had a gas station and towing business in Merrifield.

Posted by: Tina Ermini ()
Date: November 04, 2019 03:29AM

I used to go to Hunters Lodge in the 80s. I also helped with the petition to stop the tear down of the lodge. Miss that place so much and all the musicians that played there. Anyone know where everyone ended up? I know Mike Stephenson was killed in a car crash in 87. Is Ricky Cooper still around?

Posted by: Victor Germaine ()
Date: November 13, 2019 02:20PM

I remember Bobby golf bass player and Leon play the guitar

Posted by: Mojo ()
Date: April 06, 2020 07:34PM

Heres what you saw on the front of partners door as you walked in. I removed it the last night, no proper tools. i think Pam Hobbs gave me a butter knife. I played with Crystal clear country As well as with Ricky the Super Coop.
Attachments:
F5F6B52A-5B05-470F-A68C-DA6412A381D3.jpeg

Posted by: GJinVA ()
Date: August 24, 2020 06:09PM

My dad would drag us there too, but only the nights they had steamed crabs by the bushel. The folks would sit there and eat crabs and dink beer. I was little and one day it dawned on me that the place was named pig and chick, but we never ate either one. I asked my dad why and he just said “We only come here for crabs” I remember it being very sketchy, even as a toddler. I found this thread trying to find any photos to see if my memory matched reality.

Date: January 11, 2021 05:53PM

Just found out over the holidays that Joe Sweeney died in 2019. Joe was the last singer and bass player for The Midniters when we were at Hunters Lodge along with The Stringdusters.Joe lived in Greencastle, Pa. And would travel all that distance to play music with us.
Hope everyone is staying safe from the virus.

Posted by: Brent ()
Date: January 18, 2021 01:27PM

I found this thread when I was researching this entry:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Midniters-The-Midniters-At-Hunters-Lodge-Yesterday-Once-More/release/16965387

I uploaded .wav files of the CDr, if anyone is interested in hearing The Midniters from that time period. Does anyone here have the original LP?

Album link:
https://mega.nz/file/dZICFJJK#_n4ktWmy-8nB78rpyYxsj2RGHFWjad56C1_Yl30C708

Date: January 23, 2021 07:10PM

I have an original LP of The Midniters

Posted by: Jasmine Feldman ()
Date: April 11, 2021 09:24PM

My mother was the niece of Paul and Roy my great uncles, and used to tell me stories about working the coat room at Hunters Lodge with her cousin. Later mom went from being Pamela Justice to PJ Ellis and was written up as Baltimore's best female blues artists. Sadly almost everyone has passed. I never knew Hunters lodge much more than the stories I would overheard as a child.I am great full to have run across this thread. Any pictures stories or otherwise would be appreciated here's a link to one of Mom Songs.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6XN8jxCfo&feature=share

Date: April 12, 2021 04:44PM

Hi Jasmine,
Good to hear some new post's. "Oh that coat room". I remember it well. My sister inlaw also work at the coat room for a while when she was married to Tony. Some great memories there when I was playing with The Midniters along with The Stringdusters. I shure miss Roy and Paul and all the musicians that played there.Country music will never be the same!!!

Posted by: Patty Norris ()
Date: June 06, 2021 12:42PM

I loved Partners 2! We would go every Wednesday night I think. We were just in HS but they had no problem serving us beer. We would dance all night to live bluegrass. What a great dive it was. So many memories

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 25, 2021 05:32PM

My grandma was the wife of Erv Davis of The Midniters. I recently started a vinyl collection and she gave me a copy of The Midniters at Hunters Lodge and it sounds great!

Posted by: Jodi ()
Date: December 25, 2021 05:42PM

Speedo, my son just found this forum when we gave him Dad’s LP of The Midniter’s at Hunter’s Lodge when he got his new vinyl collection for Christmas. We thought this old album would be a great addition to his collection, and he agreed. My name is Jodi, and Dad’s name was Erv Davis, the lead singer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.