HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
One end of C'ville to the other: 20 minutes
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 28, 2005 08:43PM

Just the first observation about Centreville when I moved there a few years ago... just getting from one end to the other always takes at least 20 minutes. Traffic signal synchronization really sucks in Centreville... I had to change banks shortly after I got here because getting to the one from my house to near 28/29 was just too much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One end of C'ville to the other: 20 minutes
Posted by: erik ()
Date: March 29, 2005 08:01AM

Pgens, that is a very salient point.

Some weeknights I travel from the old mill rd/rt. 28 area to paddington rd, and it takes a good 15 minutes. We're talking 1.5 miles at most.

And considering I the buzz I usually have on, that is like a fucking lifetime. The traffic lights are pure evil on Old Centreville and Machen.

Posted by: Terb ()
Date: April 01, 2005 04:10PM

Yeah I moved here from a planned urban community in Texas.

After trying to acclimate myself to this unholy fuck wad of a city, I quickly gave up and succamb to life on the internet in a dark basement. It's easier than trying to have any kind of social life which involves driving.

Date: April 01, 2005 04:13PM

*planned SUBURBAN.

The place was like a fucking utopia, like the 60's never happend. No diversity, no riff raff. Every house clean, could leave doors unlocked, no religious buildings aside from christian churches (something you learn to respect after you move to a diverse area), everyone had Christmas lights up during the holidays...

What a fuckin' joke it is moving here after that.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: April 01, 2005 05:34PM

Terb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *planned SUBURBAN.
>
> The place was like a fucking utopia, like the 60's
> never happend. No diversity, no riff raff. Every
> house clean, could leave doors unlocked, no
> religious buildings aside from christian churches
> (something you learn to respect after you move to
> a diverse area), everyone had Christmas lights up
> during the holidays...
>
> What a fuckin' joke it is moving here after that.

To me, that sounds like a nightmare of a place to live. Diversity is the spice of life, and you better learn to enjoy it living here!

Date: April 05, 2005 03:01PM

You like having to lock your doors and worry about shit being stolen from your car whenever you go out? Diversity is the bane of life, can't wait till I'm done with college so I can get the FUCK out of this borderline slum.

To all ye living here with no immediate plans of moving may I extend my sincerest sympathies..

Posted by: ben ()
Date: April 05, 2005 07:52PM

Godspeed on getting yourself out of our little hellhole called Fairfax.

What with one of the highest average household incomes in the country, one of (if not the) best high school system in the country, world class dining..

I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy living here.

Posted by: iceman ()
Date: April 06, 2005 04:38PM

I work in Chantilly near the NRO and live on Stone Road, it used to take me aboout 7 mins between home and work, but over the last few months, it takes me over 20 mins. I guess all these new communities in Gainesville and all these places who want to take 29, use Stone rd as the cut through route and it becomes a mess. Wish they would widen the road on westfields blv after Safeway from a one lane road to a two lane road.

Date: April 06, 2005 10:01PM

Some on the board of supervisors have proposed using $500k to widen stonecroft... not exactly sure how this will reallt help but maybe that would take some of the lineup away from that area.

Date: April 08, 2005 01:07PM

Maybe if drivers in Northern VA could learn how to merge, Stone Road really wouldn't be so bad (where it goes to two lanes from one). HAH! Who am I kidding. We can't even be bothered to reach for turn signals.

Posted by: iceman ()
Date: April 08, 2005 03:48PM

Erik i agree with you. Some people have just no road etiquete. The traffic light at Sequoia Farms road is like a start of a race. Cars just rush at the turn of the light so that they are not stuck behind the other person...come on guys, you just gonna be one car here or there, still gonna reach home.

Posted by: Fallingbeverage ()
Date: May 02, 2005 09:26PM

I used to deliver pizza for armands in centreville, that was horrible, if you didnt know all the back routes you couldnt deliver a pizza 4 miles away in under 20 mins. At least drivers in NoVa know about right on red, Im in richmond right now and nothing pisses me off more than a person just chillen in the right hand turn lane with the blinker on and a red light and no cars in sight. NoVa drivers need to learn how to use merge lanes before we ask them to mirge two lanes of traffic to one.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: May 02, 2005 10:17PM

yeah I delivered for papa's in c-ville and it was hell. A run would sometimes take .75 hours if I had to hit three stops in rush hour. Then you'd get back and the fucking cokehead managers would be total dicks. Not a good job even for a stoner.

Date: May 02, 2005 10:37PM

On Papa's in centreville, I feel for you guys. I pick up from there sometimes and the managers seem like total dicks. But then again that may just be how things go in all delivery places.

What pisses me off is at 29 and 7100 where people don't know you can make a _left_ on red from a one-way to a one-way, which there are a few of in that fux0r3d intersection.

Posted by: tarp ()
Date: June 13, 2005 10:52AM

Terb,
Move back to Texas. We don't want your bigoted ass here in D.C. metro.

Date: June 17, 2005 09:09AM

Tarp,

Great point - Texas is the bung of the republic and seems to breed close-minded born-again religious twits like cockroaches on speed. If I see one more god damned jesus fish...

On Centreville - all that new home/condo construction on 29 at 66 is just lovely, huh? You know it just means more traffic lights: something this area definitely does not need.

Also, I love how those shitboxes they're putting up before Stringfellow are advertised as starting in the low 800s. Fuck you! Can't wait for the bubble to burst around here...or at least let out some hot air.

Posted by: Daniel J ()
Date: August 11, 2005 05:36PM

Although traffic in NoVA sucks... I think Centreville is in one of the better areas for travel convenance(long trips anyways). Right by 66/28/29 495 through manassas. Not far down those are 17 15 I81 then 70w.

So... centreville is a good location, where did it go wrong?
City streets(dare i call centreville a city)... lack of planning; no thought into future development, no real concern for the community other then its 'image', whether that be fictitious . 'Their' only thought on 'their' minds is where (or if) they can fit another apartment complex or starbucks here.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 11, 2005 05:46PM

I offered to open a starbucks in my living room, so we could "fit one more in", but Starbucks is afraid I'll run it like one of those "coffee houses" in Amsterdam...

Posted by: Dugan ()
Date: May 08, 2006 09:38PM

tarp Wrote:
> Terb,
> Move back to Texas. We don't want your bigoted ass
> here in D.C. metro.
>

yeah, we do. im tierd of all this talk of ethnic diversity and embracing diversity and all that other shit. in this area, people are more likely to hire less skilled minorities over more skilled whites because they feel like they need to "embrace ethnic diversity" and they'd be a racist if they didn't. i'd like to live in a place where people earn their jobs/whatever else fairly and not dependent on race or anything else.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 08, 2006 11:22PM

Damn Straight! We got too many Asians around here. (Not being racist, just a a fact) They come from place where everybody rides bikes, come here and pick up a car, and run me off the road. And they take my jobs. Sorry, I know I sound racist, but thats how it is.

Posted by: eleventy5 ()
Date: September 21, 2007 03:17PM

erik Wrote:
> Pgens, that is a very salient point.
>
> Some weeknights I travel from the old mill rd/rt.
> 28 area to paddington rd, and it takes a good 15
> minutes. We're talking 1.5 miles at most.
>
> And considering I the buzz I usually have on, that
> is like a fucking lifetime. The traffic lights are
> pure evil on Old Centreville and Machen.

That's so true! Why do I have to wait an ETERNITY trying to turn left onto Machen at THREE IN THE MORNING?? It's just not necessary!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.