HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
O'toole's Sold/Centreville Bar Scene
Posted by: Hambone ()
Date: March 19, 2007 02:58AM

I was in O'Toole's for St. Paddy's day and was informed that the place was sold about two weeks ago. The new owners plan on keeping the O'toole's name and staff but making some improvements to the interior. God knows it needs it! Apparently they've lost a TON of biz since Ned Devine's opened up nearby.

What does everyone think about the Centreville Bar Scene in general?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O'toole's Sold/Centreville Bar Scene
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 19, 2007 03:17AM

I think it's a great way to catch HIV or join a gang.

Date: March 19, 2007 03:31AM

I thought the gang problem was resolved with the closing of the Shark Club.

Date: March 19, 2007 05:01AM

Probably, I was actually just basing it on driving around c-ville each night, I see a lot of banger types and such..

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 19, 2007 12:39PM

"What does everyone think about the Centreville Bar Scene in general?"

I think all of C-ville shouldbe burned to ground, razed, fenced, and be made a holding ground for those about to be deported.

Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: March 19, 2007 03:17PM

Hambone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What does everyone think about the Centreville Bar
> Scene in general?

Was that a serious question?

Date: March 19, 2007 08:48PM

Good Speller Wrote:
> Hambone Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > What does everyone think about the Centreville
> Bar
> > Scene in general?
>
> Was that a serious question?

Ha! Hey, things aren't nearly as bad as they used to be out there. Back when I started drinking it was just O'toole's, the Shark Club and the Shade(y) Tree.

Now you've got Ned's, Fast Eddies, Red Rocks, Martini Bar, Glory Days, Bonefish, Red Rock Canyon etc. Many more options now...

Date: March 20, 2007 12:50AM

Shade Tree Inn is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo suspicious.

I was at Tippy's taco at 5PM one weeknight, walking in from my car. I hear this yelling and see some asian guy on top of a ladie's hood. Turns out she had been drinking so heavily at that time of the afternoon, that she hit this guy's car pulling out, and he jumped on top of her hood.

I also regularly see drunks roll out of there early in the afternoons sometimes, like, 2PM or so. They'll be tottering to their cars, and then get in and drive away. don't worry, the cops never bother with them.

Date: March 20, 2007 02:17PM

Hambone Wrote:

>
> Ha! Hey, things aren't nearly as bad as they used
> to be out there. Back when I started drinking it
> was just O'toole's, the Shark Club and the
> Shade(y) Tree.
>
> Now you've got Ned's, Fast Eddies, Red Rocks,
> Martini Bar, Glory Days, Bonefish, Red Rock Canyon
> etc. Many more options now...

You consider Bonefish part of the "bar scene" in Centreville?

I guess I answered my own question and you proved what a horrible social life you have.

Loser.

Date: March 20, 2007 02:18PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Shade Tree Inn is
> sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> oo suspicious.
>
> I was at Tippy's taco at 5PM one weeknight,
> walking in from my car. I hear this yelling and
> see some asian guy on top of a ladie's hood.
> Turns out she had been drinking so heavily at that
> time of the afternoon, that she hit this guy's car
> pulling out, and he jumped on top of her hood.
>
> I also regularly see drunks roll out of there
> early in the afternoons sometimes, like, 2PM or
> so. They'll be tottering to their cars, and then
> get in and drive away. don't worry, the cops
> never bother with them.

Most of the people who drink at the Shade Tree live in the projects next to the library.

Date: March 20, 2007 04:13PM

Good Speller Wrote:
> Hambone Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Ha! Hey, things aren't nearly as bad as they
> used
> > to be out there. Back when I started drinking
> it
> > was just O'toole's, the Shark Club and the
> > Shade(y) Tree.
> >
> > Now you've got Ned's, Fast Eddies, Red Rocks,
> > Martini Bar, Glory Days, Bonefish, Red Rock
> Canyon
> > etc. Many more options now...
>
> You consider Bonefish part of the "bar scene" in
> Centreville?
>
> I guess I answered my own question and you proved
> what a horrible social life you have.
>
> Loser.

Ouch. That really stings coming from someone who takes the time to flame someone on a local message forum. Yes, I AM the one with on social life...

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 22, 2007 08:45AM

The SHark Club was my favorite, god bless that place.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: March 23, 2007 01:59PM

I've never been to Red Rocks (walked in once and decided in 10 seconds that I couldn't stand the stench of smoke), the Martini Bar or Glory Days. But when it is warm out I often take walks at night. That area usually seems pretty busy.

I prefer drinking at home. It is cheaper and I don't have to worry about who is driving home!

Posted by: stacks ()
Date: April 24, 2007 05:06PM

red rocks is okay except when they've got the poker nights which is when it gets way too smokey (and i'm a smoker). glory days is good for the food, but the bar is too small. cafe martini is a pretty nice place and there are a lot of hot women that roll up there late night on thur-sat nights

Posted by: cvillechick ()
Date: July 16, 2007 04:19PM

Shade Tree is not a bad place- just locals-

Fast Eddies does have more of the gang influence I believe- but I never go there.

Sweet Water just added a new outdoor porch that is bringing in people - and when that closes they go to Ned Divine's or Bone Fish-

Border Cafe does really well on thursday nights with their out door deck and Andre Fox playing with his band. If you like live music and margaritas on the deck- its the place to be on thursdays

O'tooles DID get a new owner and in August they are shutting down to renovate into more of a sports bar- 31 big screens..etc- but i don't know if they will be having the pool tables anymore

There is the rumor that the very large building being built across from MVC is a 3 level Latin themed resturant and dance bar- waiting to see if that is the case.

Posted by: Erich.Einluger ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:19PM

When is Otoole's reopening?

Posted by: kelly! ()
Date: September 22, 2007 08:31AM

Rosemary's Thyme is pretty nice...good food and good service. Happy hour has half price bottles of wine and some outside seating available.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: October 10, 2007 05:45PM

After it repopened..

The new and improved Shade Tree , is NOW EVEN SHADIER>> !!

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: October 23, 2007 11:55PM

Shadetree seems to attract fat chicks in their early 20's well on their way to their third child. I've been there twice. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

In response to the previous poster, O'Toole's isn't quite at the HIV-level. But I'd guess probably HPV or the herp. Still, gifts that keep 'giving'. Despite all that, I really liked going there before Ned's opened. It wasn't pretentious and I lived nearby at the time so it was an easy series of lurches home with my roommates.

Posted by: Couldn't Resist ()
Date: November 08, 2007 07:06PM

Shady Tree wasn't too bad about 10 - 15 years ago when Wanda (backstabbing cunt) & Dennis owned it. They actually had a fairly busy happy hour and was hoppin on the weekends. It always did attract scum though, I dropped in a couple months ago and scum was all that was left.

Posted by: it sux ()
Date: January 02, 2008 11:50AM

c-ville has a bar scene?

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: January 03, 2008 06:02PM

Sweetwater Tavern is where it's @ with their tasty brews & food. Everything else is shit... now that Border Cafe is gone.

Posted by: yourkid ()
Date: January 08, 2008 01:02AM

C'mon home Mom and fix us kids some food and stop hangin out with the over the hill alky's at Sweetwater!

Posted by: Mr. Mojo Risin ()
Date: January 14, 2008 04:34AM

An interesting discussion or blog focusing on Shad(y) Tree and O'Toole's with I believe one recent post making reference to the new "Alto Plaza" across from IHOP, and another mentioning Sweetwater, Red Rock Canyon, Red Rocks, Border Cafe, Ned Devine's etc.

Given the close proximity to Fairfax Corner (Coastal Flats, PF Chiangs, Rio Grande) and perhaps Blue Water Grille off of Rt. 28 (Sully Rd) and maybe Blue Iguana in Fair Lakes; the Centreville bar scene is not all that bad (with the exception of course of the "Section 8" Shade Tree dive bar) when taken in relative comparison to the choices or availability of bars in let's say Annandale, Springfield, Burke, Fairfax City, Herndon, Reston, Sterling or some other areas of Northern Virginia.

Actually because of some of the relatively newer places; Martini's, Ned Devines, Sweetwater, Red Rock Canyon, and the new Alto Plaza (plus close proximity to Fairfax Corner), the Centreville area bar scene is not all that bad. Also, O'Toole's has been remodeled into a more contemporary joint from the roadhouse style place it used to be; although I don't particularly care for the new look and feel of O'Toole's personally - but at least it now distinguishes itself from the "Section 8" bar, Shade Tree, or the other trailer trash joint, Sully's, out in nearby Chantilly.

What Northern Virginia really needs and sorely lacks (particularly in the western part of Fairfax County near the Centreville, Fair Lakes, Fairfax Corner areas) is a mature, modern, upscale or contemporary night club (with a dress code) where couples or singles can dance and have a nice night out without being in a place or environment which lends itself to fights or brawls erupting or which attracts "bangers" or "hoods."

With the exception of "e-Citi" bar in Tysons/McLean, there really is no place in NoVA to dance. Also, it seems that any place that does have a dance floor brings in DJ's that play a lot of "regeaton", latin, hip-hop, rap or other styles of music .... which, you guessed it, attract the less sophisticated or maturer crowd of folks. Whatever happened to places like Studebakers or Boomerangs which played music more on the rock-n-roll, pop, retro or "disco" side of things ?! I guess the only closest thing now is Polly Esther's in DC or Rockville...

Also, the Northern Virginia localities should adopt by ordinance non-smoking regs, such as have been implemented in Montgomery County, Maryland and the District. Enough of the "Virginia is a tobacco state" platitudes. As Senator J. Brandon Bell II said recently, "The bottom line is that we're not talking about a smoker's right to smoke indoors. We're talking about my right not to breath in 4,000 chemicals and 60 known carcinogens that are associated with secondhand smoke."

Posted by: SE ()
Date: January 15, 2008 11:21PM

This is exactly why there are no bars around like you mention. The only person who would go there is you! With 60's music and no smoking. Ha!

Posted by: Smokenman ()
Date: February 02, 2008 06:19PM

Nice post Mr. Mojo Risin. I agree, we need more cool dance clubs like those we had back in the 80's although being a "smokinman" I prefer a smoking section (with good ventilation) because I like to breath too, best of both worlds ya know. As for the music, there are usually different nights for different tastes like 50's, motown, hiphop, technotrash etc. BTW, pay no attention to the troll beneath your post.
Peace

Posted by: bocksie ()
Date: March 29, 2008 02:15PM

I dont know about the bar scene back 10-15 years ago, but before they razed those projects by the Library, i used to work at the baskin robbins and would always see police pull double duty to cover the shits Shade tree used to put out. People got arrested, bottles were thrown, and all that shit of the daily. I dont know about Fast Eddies, but that place looks shady as well, and its all asian gang types there now. No reasoanbly white person would want to go there and its too far for spanish people. I work right next to Ned's and that place gets really bumpin on the weekends and you can hear some yellin and drunks but not to the magnitude that Shade tree had, caz of its location. Im sure in a couple of years itll be up there though.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.