HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia Run Community...
Posted by: Kim J. ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:49PM

Why is the Virginia Run community always under the spotlight for notorious activity? I first heard that there was an suspicious fire that burnt down a multimillionaire dollar home about a year ago. Then there was a huge cocaine ring that was going on within the community. Is this place the new armpit of Fairfax County, because I thought that title was already to given to Herndon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Run Community...
Posted by: DG ()
Date: March 10, 2009 05:53PM

Jewish lightening and smack (not crack).

Einstein, these are expensive and lucrative hobbies.

Why you hatin'?

Posted by: HateTheHOA ()
Date: April 17, 2009 04:32PM

Yeah a home did burn down but that was behind Virginia Run Elementary and those homes are not in Va Run proper. And a HEROIN ring was busted there, not a coke ring, if it makes any difference. Va Run feeds into Westfield HS where most of the kids in the heroin ring went to school. The neighborhood consists of expensive homes, both parents working (or dad's who work too much and kids are raised by mom), kids with too much time and money and not enough supervision and a pervasive attitude of "Not MY precious Child!". Those are the real problems -- SOME of the people, not the neighborhood itself.

If you go back to early Washington Post articles, Va Run was always portrayed as an enclave of pretentiousness. The Post used to regularly skewer the people in the neighborhood as being pompous, overblown and affected. The reputation was well deserved, what with neighbors suing each other, the nazi homeowners association who sued at the drop of a hat for insignificant things (and lost), the Garden Club with members who "did lunch" and for the uppity attitude of the people who moved there. It was likened to the neighborhood in the "Stepford Wives" where everything was PERFECT but something was really wrong underneath all the gloss and perfection.

All in all, it's not a bad neighborhood. It has perhaps suffered from a bad rep piled on by the media, but that rep had to be born somewhere. There has always been a layer of truth under the hype, frankly. Unfortunately, the neighborhood has produced more than it's share of trouble over the years.... Perhaps people should have bought smaller, less expensive houses, spent more time with their kids, and held their children accountable....

Posted by: yupper ()
Date: April 19, 2009 10:28AM

Don't forget the Petrole case from a few years back, (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/07/48hours/main508255.shtml). He grew up in Virginia Run, where he started his drug career, but was killed in Manassas when he was 21.

I agree with you HateTheHOA -- "Perhaps people should have bought smaller, less expensive houses, spent more time with their kids, and held their children accountable...."

I've lived in Va Run for 20 years. Not to oversimplify, but there always seems to have been two types of families in Va Run: "normal" families, and "partiers". The "partiers" consisted of the parents who regularly got together and got shit-faced drunk, belonged to country clubs, lived in the expensive houses, flaunted their wealth, and paid little attention to their kids. They set horrible examples for their children in this regard. Further, they were overly permissive with their children, and supported numerous adventures where the kids would have or attend large, unsupervised parties where alcohol was consumed, (and, no doubt, pot was smoked). They taught their kids that it was "ok" to live this kind of lifestyle.

It's no wonder that so many kids of these families ended up in trouble with drugs. They saw their parents getting wasted, their parents didn't mind them getting wasted, and they didn't see any consequences from it. Of course, eventually the consequences caught up with them.

These are the families from which the VA Run stereotype was born.

Posted by: Totally Agree ()
Date: June 04, 2009 09:25AM

I live down the street from where the big huge house burnt down and I'm only in high school and my entire life, I have always stayed up at night hearing speeding cars with loud music going down the street. I only wonder what happens when they get to their destination. I wonder why no one has had the police sent down there before...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.