HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Western Fairfax General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
real, honest-to-god good Mexican taqueria food????
Posted by: paleogrrl ()
Date: January 24, 2006 08:58PM

Anyone know of any good taquerias or family-style Mexican restaurants (e.g. Jalisco style) in Fairfax County? I just moved from the West Coast, and so far the only purported Mexican food I've found turns out to be Tex-Mex. Uhhhh, no. Grrl needs some fresh homemade tortillas con maza and con harina...pollo en mole...birria...salsa fresca...flan...I have such a craving, damnit!

(Meanwhile, might I add that the French and Italian food here is FUCKING AWESOME!!! So, OK, sometimes it's a fair trade...unless I really want good taqueria fare...) :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: real, honest-to-god good Mexican taqueria food????
Posted by: senortaco ()
Date: January 24, 2006 10:51PM

Anitas! http://www.anitasrestaurants.com/

Realest Mexican food I've found around here, and damn good too! Check out their website, they have locations in Chantilly, Fairfax, Vienna and more

Date: January 25, 2006 10:25PM

Cool. I've driven past Anita's here in Fairfax and wondered how it was, so now I'll have to go check 'er out. Thanks!

Posted by: kit.car ()
Date: February 10, 2006 09:36PM

as found on this site make sure you choose your Anita's wisely...

http://www.healthspace.ca/Clients/VDH/Fairfax/Fairfax_Website.nsf

Date: February 22, 2006 01:45AM

Thanks for this link. I haven't made it to Anita's yet, so this is helpful.

Meanwhile, I have tried Mexicali Blues and Guajillo (sp?) in Arlington. Both pretty good. Good fish tacos and juana tamales at MB. Pretty good Oaxacan mole at Guajillo...but there chocolate flan with tequila sauce is OUT OF THIS WORLD AWESOME. And I'm really picky about my flan...none of that chewy, mass produced, Jell-o mix stuff. Flan should be fresh and soft but not as soft as creme brulee...and Guajillo was made just right, plus the mix of chocolate and cinnamon flavors with that tequila quick was perfect! MB has desserts on their menu too, though they appear to be specific to certain days of the week...will have to go back when they have the Mexican chocolate pots au creme, which I think said also have hot pepper in them. Chocolate and pepper...good combo.

Oh and BTW, both of the above places have gotten good write-ups/reviews in Zagat guide or local publications like the Post or City Paper.

Also some recommended Guapo (sp?) to me, which looks to be a bit of a chain with locations in at least Arlington and Manassas Park. And in Arlington I hear there's a good Peruvian rotisserie called something like Pollo Rico.

Posted by: 123 ()
Date: February 22, 2006 11:42AM

I have some man-flan for you

Date: February 22, 2006 07:17PM

Man-flan? Puh-leeeeeeez. A little respect for the divine cuisine and for the gourmands who appreciate it.

Or if you're gonna go there, do so with flair, creativity. Man-flan sounds so bland...like store-brand, generic custard mix.

Try:

Creme ballee
Pot au cum

Meanwhile, you should watch what you say to us grrls...we might just go put our Docs on and start stomping your nads.

Besides I can't believe you read that and totally skipped over saying something about fish tacos and juana tamales. Like "Heh, heh, you juana tamale?! How 'bout you juana this tamale in my pantalones?!!!!"

Posted by: trust me ()
Date: July 24, 2006 02:27AM

the good Mexican place here in over on Route 1. Its called Taco Jalisco, trust me I am Mexican and this place is the real shit. Please try it out, you will love it.There is also a good place in colombia rd in NW DC. Pepes Tacos, another real Mexican place. Check them out

Date: July 24, 2006 10:23PM

Thanks for the tips. :) I'll have to check those out. One of my favorite places back home was a family-owned place with a huge menu that did Jalisco-style cooking. Yum!

Posted by: WestOx ()
Date: August 05, 2006 05:02PM

There is that place on Main street in Fairfax. Cant remember what its called but its next to the medical center and the 7-11 and across from the dealership. Its just after the route50/29 intersection. It must be authentic cuz all the signs are in spanish and no english.

Posted by: rico ()
Date: April 20, 2007 07:57PM

El Taco in yorkshire

Posted by: SE ()
Date: June 04, 2007 04:11PM

Mmmmm taco burgers. I bet they serve those in Mexico.

Posted by: anagogue ()
Date: July 06, 2007 11:27PM

I know you don't like Tex-Mex, but you might still want to give El Paso Cafe in Arlington a try. It's on Pershing, right off of Glebe. For my (Texan) money, it's by far the only truly good Mexican food in the area. Anitas is NOT straight Mexican. It is New Mexican. It is extremely good for breakfast/brunch, but is not nearly as good for dinner, at least to my particular taste. It is, however, good quality. The one on Route 50 and Walney is the good one of the two that I've been to.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 06, 2007 11:50PM

Good general assessment above, Anita's dinner food lacks any character. Their breakfast foods, on the other hand, have been a friday morning tradition at my workplace for years, and people love it.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: January 07, 2008 05:01PM

Heh, heh, you juana tamale?!

....is it too late?

Posted by: iain ()
Date: February 25, 2008 12:27PM

If you want real authentic mex food go to Fairfax Circle where the Performance Bike is on the corner. There is a Mexican place there owned by the same folks that own the hispanic grocery there. I can't remember the name but it's the real deal.

Posted by: iain ()
Date: February 25, 2008 12:47PM

It might be El Puente De Oro and if that's it, then it's El Salvadorian. But still real good.

Posted by: guj ()
Date: November 30, 2010 01:31PM

this is lateeee but how is the tortilla Factory not on this list yet it beats anitas by miles. and not to mention the free chips and salsa!!

Posted by: centrevilleguy ()
Date: March 03, 2011 07:44PM

El Taco in Manassas is definitely the best!!

Posted by: blahblahblah ()
Date: October 17, 2011 05:57PM

taco bell.

Posted by: Sue_Wheet ()
Date: January 15, 2012 10:53AM

Anitas is the WORST Mexican food ever. Do not eat there. I hate even driving by the place.

El Paso is decent, not great but definitely closer than any other place I've tried. Tippy's is "American" Mexican food. It might do in a pinch but it's not real Mexican food.

I'm still looking for a taqueria. Thinking of opening one up myself if I can't find one. Craving a good (not machine made) tortilla.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.