HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Outrage Over China-Made US Olympic Uniform
Posted by: Made In China Again ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:39AM

Surprising Even the Democrats are bitching over this they normally fuck America

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Olympics-uniforms-made-China/2012/07/12/id/445194?s=al&promo_code=F748-1

Outrage Over China-Made US Olympic Uniform
Thursday, 12 Jul 2012 04:46 PM

Republicans and Democrats railed Thursday about the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese-manufactured berets, blazers, and pants while the American textile industry struggles economically with many U.S. workers desperate for jobs.

Swimmer Ryan Lochte models the Ralph Lauren uniform that the U.S. Olympic team will wear in London. (AP Photo)
"I am so upset. I think the Olympic Committee should be ashamed of themselves. I think they should be embarrassed. I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile, and burn them and start all over again," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference on taxes.

"If they have to wear nothing but a singlet that says USA on it, painted by hand, then that's what they should wear," he said, referring to an athletic jersey.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference that she's proud of the nation's Olympic athletes, but "they should be wearing uniforms that are made in America."

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said simply of the committee, "You'd think they'd know better."

In a statement, the U.S. Olympic Committee defended the choice of designer Ralph Lauren for the clothing at the London Games, which begin later this month.

"Unlike most Olympic teams around the world, the U.S. Olympic Team is privately funded, and we're grateful for the support of our sponsors," USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said in a statement. "We're proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company, and excited to watch America's finest athletes compete at the upcoming games in London."

Ralph Lauren also is dressing the Olympic and Paralympic teams for the closing ceremony and providing casual clothes to be worn around the Olympic Village. Nike has made many of the competition uniforms for the U.S. and outfits for the medal stand.

On Twitter, Sandusky called the outrage over the made-in-China uniforms nonsense. The designer, Sandusky wrote, "financially supports our team. An American company that supports American athletes."

Ralph Lauren's company declined to comment on the criticism.

In fact, this is not the first time that Ralph Lauren has designed the Olympic uniforms. Yet that did little to quell the anger on Capitol Hill.

"It is not just a label, it's an economic solution," said Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y. "Today there are 600,000 vacant manufacturing jobs in this country and the Olympic committee is outsourcing the manufacturing of uniforms to China? That is not just outrageous, it's just plain dumb. It is self-defeating."

Israel urged the USOC to reverse the decision and ensure U.S. athletes wear uniforms that are made in America.

Sens. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., sent letters to Lawrence Probst III, chairman of the USOC, complaining about the made-in-China uniforms. Brown suggested that the USOC find a manufacturer with a facility in the United States, suggesting the Hugo Boss plant in Cleveland.

"There is no compelling reason why all of the uniforms cannot be made here on U.S. soil at the same price, at better quality," Gillibrand and Israel wrote.

In a tweet, U.S. track and field Olympian Nick Symmonds, who will compete in the 800-meter run at the London Games, wrote: "Our Ralph Lauren outfits for the Olympic opening ceremonies were made in China. So, um, thanks China."

This is hardly the first time patriotism has been discussed when it comes to Olympic clothing. The must-have souvenir of the 2002 Salt Lake Games was a fleece beret, something that athletes wore in the opening ceremony and prompted countless people to spend hours on lines waiting to purchase during those Olympics.

Those berets were made by Roots, a Canadian company that was the official U.S. team outfitter for that opening ceremony. ABC World News reported Wednesday night that the uniforms were made in China.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Outrage Over China-Made US Olympic Uniform
Posted by: Cato! ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:58AM

Conservative Think Tank CATO says, whats the big deal....I agree.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/bonfire-of-the-inanities/

The apparel industry employs plenty of Americans, just not in the cutting and sewing operations that our parents and grandparents endured, working long hours for low wages. Congressman Steve Israel, citing 600,000 vacant manufacturing jobs (though I’m not sure what that number means), calls the Olympic Committee’s decision to outsource manufacturing uniforms to China “not just outrageous,” but “plain dumb.” Does Mr. Israel realize that the U.S. Olympic team is privately funded, and that the funders — unlike Congress — feel obligated to stay within budget?

Does Mr. Israel actually believe that producing those couple of hundred uniforms in the United States would spark an employment renaissance? How about Congress decides what the 2013 tax rates will be today, as opposed to tomorrow? That one extra day of certainty would create far more jobs for a longer period than the one-to-two day production run necessary to make those couple hundred uniforms.

If you are still not convinced that our policymakers’ objections are inane, consider this. As our U.S. athletes march around the track at London’s Olympic stadium wearing their Chinese-made uniforms and waving their Chinese-made American flags, the Chinese athletes will have arrived in London by U.S.-made aircraft, been trained on U.S.-designed and – engineered equipment, wearing U.S.-designed and -engineered footwear, having perfected their skills using U.S.-created technology.

Our economic relationship with China – characterized by transnational supply chains and disaggregated production sharing – is more collaborative than competitive. The real competition will be happening in the gyms, pools, and on the fields. Let the games begin.

Posted by: Ronaldus Maximus ()
Date: July 14, 2012 03:16PM

I wonder how many stupid fucks emailed made complaints to whomever on their stupid fuck Chinese manufactured iPhones.

Date: July 14, 2012 03:25PM

Norma Rae is now Soong Yee and she works at a factory in China. The truth is at 1:57. It was true in 1998 and it's true today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: no more junk ()
Date: July 14, 2012 03:54PM

The Chinese stuff is all crap. I remember years ago getting sweatshirts made in a southwest Va factory. I have worn them doing yard work for years and although faded they still hold together. The factory closed and now if you want a cheap sweatshirt it will be made in China. I have a few that maybe last a season before the thread starts to fall apart and they are useless except as an oil rag.

I would be willing to pay extra for such products if I knew it was made in the U S. The Chinese also make tools which are total shit. The screwdrivers bend and break at the least amount of pressure. I dont trust anything electrical made in China. They will slap a fake UL sticker on it when it never passed any tests and without the knowledge of UL. Meanwhile it is allowed to be imported with this obvious counterfeiting going on.

Politicians of both parties have sold us out.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 14, 2012 07:36PM

When the Army adopted the beret about ten years ago, there was outrage the contractor was using Chinese suppliers. The DOD eventually switched to US and Canadian companies.

This pseudo-outrage over Chinese labor is nothing new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 07:37PM by eesh.

Posted by: Tyvek Boxers ()
Date: July 14, 2012 07:50PM

Even the Chinese have largely given up on the cheap textile trade. It's all moving to Vietnam and other lower-cost areas.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 14, 2012 08:25PM

Hey, I wonder if this uniform was made in China.....

-
Attachments:
20120203_Wrestle6.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.