HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What do you Think? General Assembly passed a law requiring an ultrasound be performed prior to a woman being allowed to have an abortion procedure.
Posted by: Soccer Mom ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:29PM

Debate casts Virginia in negative light
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20120309/OPINION/703099858/1065/debate-casts-virginia-in-negative-light&template=fairfaxTimes

Last week, the General Assembly passed a law requiring an ultrasound be performed prior to a woman being allowed to have an abortion procedure.

It is not a medically necessary procedure and — against some lawmakers’ wishes —there is no requirement the procedure be covered by insurance.

Depending on your position on this divisive issue, this vote is either a resounding victory or a somewhat bewildering defeat. It’s bewildering because the topic of abortion rights played so small a factor in the fall election.

It was a Republican year. The GOP picked up seats in both houses of the General Assembly, taking tentative control of the Virginia Senate at 20-20 with Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R) breaking any ties.

A large part of this success was backlash against Democrats on the national level, and an approval of the Gov. Robert F. McDonnell model: Conservative principles, but with a focus on putting first things first. McDonnell is enjoying high approval ratings for his focus on business and economic development. He has even gone so far as to rein in the far-right of the party when it travels past what the electorate is comfortable with.

For instance, it was McDonnell who announced no government agency would discriminate against gays and lesbians after Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli began to question state universities’ ability to create nondiscrimination statements. It was McDonnell who agreed to update the Local Composite Index to ensure Northern Virginia jurisdictions — largely Democratic-controlled at the time — receive their fair share of school funding. And it was McDonnell who interceded by telling members of the General Assembly that requiring an invasive transvaginal ultrasound before receiving an abortion was taking the matter too far.

Instead, McDonnell has harnessed his energies toward attracting business and increasing the commonwealth’s competitiveness. This business-friendly, fiscal conservative model is what most voters thought they were getting when punching the ballot for the candidate followed with a (R).

In the run-up to last November’s election, most Republican candidates for the General Assembly were glad to share their views on abortion, gun control, immigration or the traditional family, while maintaining the election would hinge on transportation and the economy.

No one indicated the HPV vaccination, “personhood” legislation, revoking the one-gun-per-month rule, drug testing for welfare recipients and easing the “triggerman” rule for the death penalty would use up their political capital for an entire session of the legislature.

Fast forward four months and Virginia is slowly — some may say rapidly — regaining its reputation as an ultraconservative state because of the debate about the transvaginal ultrasound. Requiring either type of ultrasound for an abortion is a move aimed to satisfy social conservative voters and legislators at the expense of women seeking a legal medical procedure.

There is a bit of irony that this is occurring right as these same conservatives are revolting in regard to the mandates of the federal health care legislation.

This is not an attempt to denigrate the pro-life movement. There is a real and genuine disagreement in our society about when life truly begins and the morality and necessity of abortion. Both sides believe they’re on the right side of history, but the truth of the matter is we as a society haven’t made up our minds.

And the recent vote in the General Assembly will certainly propel the issue back into the spotlight. Perhaps that’s a good thing. If the government has the intention of making these decisions for women — and frankly for all the voters — then it needs to be much more a part of the national and local debate.

With the upcoming presidential and Senate campaigns just about to kick off, be careful what you wish for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you Think? General Assembly passed a law requiring an ultrasound be performed prior to a woman being allowed to have an abortion procedure.
Posted by: fern ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:56PM

I think its time for thinking women to flee this backward state.

Re: What do you Think? General Assembly passed a law requiring an ultrasound be performed prior to a woman being allowed to have an abortion procedure.
Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:00PM

Really? Haven't heard anything about this...

Posted by: Mrs. Hooters ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:04PM

fern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think its time for thinking women to flee this
> backward state.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Bye.

Posted by: old timer 2 ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:08PM

Soccer mom, get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich

Posted by: JewsStink ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:16PM

Soccer Mom sounds like filthy Jew who should be exterminated.

edit by Cary: This is an example of the type of trolling "Alias" brought. I will reveal the IP address in this instance since it's obviously a proxy or tor exit-node. This poster's IP address is 108.46.249.204 aka pool-108-46-249-204.nycmny.fios.verizon.net. This poster is also responsible for the wave of anti-jewish and anti-catholic material on the board in recent days. Many of this user's post have been removed but I will add this comment to those which remain. Please see this thread for more information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 09:04PM by Cary.

Posted by: No goats ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:30PM

Soccer Mom, who's making you stay here? If you don't like it, leave VA.

Posted by: RomneyCare ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:35PM

Typical republicans using government regulations to push their religious views on Virginians. It's a complete bullshit law.

Posted by: bethip ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:52PM

sick...boycott sex with republicans, oh- we already are, who would have sex with a gross republican anyway?

Posted by: you got it right ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:59PM

RomneyCare Wrote:
> Typical republicans using government regulations
> to push their religious views on Virginians. It's
> a complete bullshit law.

You mean like pushing the gay agenda on people who do not accept it?

Posted by: Gay Agenda ()
Date: March 09, 2012 02:14PM

you got it right Wrote:
> RomneyCare Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Typical republicans using government
> regulations
> > to push their religious views on Virginians.
> It's
> > a complete bullshit law.
>
>
> You mean like pushing the gay agenda on people who
> do not accept it?

Shit, you're on to us. How'd you figure out that our quest for marriage equality and freedom from discrimination was just an elaborate ruse to slowly turn all straight people gay and bring about the end of civilization as we know it?

Posted by: Hammerspur ()
Date: March 09, 2012 02:31PM

you got it right Wrote:
> RomneyCare Wrote:
> -----
> > Typical republicans using government
> regulations
> > to push their religious views on Virginians.
> It's
> > a complete bullshit law.
>
>
> You mean like pushing the gay agenda on people who
> do not accept it?

Or destroying the 2nd Amendment?

Posted by: jews ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:06PM

did you know that the jews believe you can kill a baby up to 30 days after birth and it's considered an abortion. WTF

A fetus is like the 'thigh' of its mother, and thus not a human being. A fetus does not become a human being until 30 days after it's birth(Ket. 20b, Shab. 135b, Evel Rabati I).

Posted by: Sam Wang ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:35PM

I think it's a very shrewd way to distract from pressing economic issues.

If you want to ban abortion, seek to ban abortion. A law that a woman must have an ultrasound before an abortion is unlikely to be truly practical. Is there some sort of social or economic benefit here? How is this going to be enforced?

Posted by: hahahahai ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:11PM

Why would the right want to distract from economic issues, that was supposed to be their thing? Now that the economy is improving, and greatly, they think they will be elected if they take away contraception from 99% of women? Even men probably don't want to have babies (that they will have to pay for) like puppies...they are pushing the no-won anti contraception crap, no one in this century would support this, not a winning issue for the right, truly from the dark ages.

Date: March 09, 2012 04:17PM

No goats Wrote:
> Soccer Mom, who's making you stay here? If you
> don't like it, leave VA.

Still want me to leave VA Hon?
Attachments:
Soccor Mom.jpg

Posted by: is this you ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:20PM

I guess we can always hope but somehow I think not
Attachments:
443344.jpg

Posted by: Cassie's friend ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:23PM

Soccer Mom Wrote:
> No goats Wrote:
> -----
> > Soccer Mom, who's making you stay here? If you
> > don't like it, leave VA.
>
> Still want me to leave VA Hon?

I am friends with Cassie Scerbo. I will be sure to let her know that some jerk is using her photo. BTW, Cassie doesn't live in VA.

Posted by: Truth teller ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:32PM

I only wish someone would tell the real reason for the ultra sound. Maybe the poloticians don't know. The real reason is that women lie about how long they have been pregnant. Many times a doctor will perform an abortion and will find out that it could actually be an illegal one. The baby is too old. The ultra sound is to help verify that it is not a late term abortion which could harm the mother as well as kill her baby. Especially with partial birth abortions. That is where they pull out the baby's head and stick a rod in the spine to kill it. WIth only the head out it is not a birth so the doctor is off the hook. I am for a woman doing what ever she wants to with her body and baby. I just wish the media would just tell the facts.

Posted by: yeah, it's about jobs ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:34PM

"If you want to ban abortion, seek to ban abortion. A law that a woman must have an ultrasound before an abortion is unlikely to be truly practical. Is there some sort of social or economic benefit here? How is this going to be enforced?"

I got an email today from a school that trains ultrasound technicians (saying that I can train for this "in demand" profession). Is that just a coincidence or is this the "job creation" part of this bill? You know---once they make contraceptives hard to get, there will be more women seeking abortions and more ultrasounds (and probably other procedures that they are planning that will create jobs).

Date: March 09, 2012 04:37PM

Cassie's friend Wrote:
> Soccer Mom Wrote:
> -----
> > No goats Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Soccer Mom, who's making you stay here? If
> you
> > > don't like it, leave VA.
> >
> > Still want me to leave VA Hon?
>
>
> I am friends with Cassie Scerbo. I will be sure to
> let her know that some jerk is using her photo.
> BTW, Cassie doesn't live in VA.

Yes, but I look alot like her. Some people even think I look better because I have a nicer face and my body is better proportioned.

Posted by: Gerry Connolly is my friend ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:40PM

Folks, this bill played to the base of conservatives who support the "full knowledge" decision process of abortions. In reality, nothing will change, as greater than 98% of abortion procedures already include a diagnostic "jelly on the belly" ultrasound. Those who are trying to sell the "men vs. women" argument disregard the fact that the bill was introduced by a woman.

Oh yeah, for those of you leaving Virginia over this, you will need to avoid the 20 states that have a similar law.

Posted by: Get them out ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:00PM

The thing that torques people is the direction of this bill and that it mandates a medical procedure. Doctors and patients should decide on medical procedures, not the state.

This is just part of a whole bunch of stuff going on in this state that is making it lean heavily (and extremely) to the right. How about voter identification? How about an attorney general who subpoenas the research of a climate scientist at U-VA? It cost the state taxpayers a lot of money for that folly and Cucinelli lost when U-VA (with private funds) appealed. Of course the professor in question is now working at the University of Pennsylvania (Virginia's loss). It's dang scary that we have people in government who are trying to take away academic freedom and the conditions that lead to gaining true knowledge. This is what will cause people to leave the state if we keep electing Teapublicans. We need moderates!! Hopefully we can get these guys out in the next election. They are not doing anything good for the state of VA.

Posted by: Cooch fan ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:07PM

Get them out Wrote:
> The thing that torques people is the direction of
> this bill and that it mandates a medical
> procedure. Doctors and patients should decide on
> medical procedures, not the state.
>
> This is just part of a whole bunch of stuff going
> on in this state that is making it lean heavily
> (and extremely) to the right. How about voter
> identification? How about an attorney general who
> subpoenas the research of a climate scientist at
> U-VA? It cost the state taxpayers a lot of money
> for that folly and Cucinelli lost when U-VA (with
> private funds) appealed. Of course the professor
> in question is now working at the University of
> Pennsylvania (Virginia's loss). It's dang scary
> that we have people in government who are trying
> to take away academic freedom and the conditions
> that lead to gaining true knowledge. This is what
> will cause people to leave the state if we keep
> electing Teapublicans. We need moderates!!
> Hopefully we can get these guys out in the next
> election. They are not doing anything good for
> the state of VA.

Voter identification is no problem unless you have something to
hide. If the professor had nothing to hide why would he fight
so hard to refuse Cuccinelli's request? (I believe the government
paid his salary and to have the data produced) I hope those
who disagree so strongly do move elsewhere. Hows about southern
California amigo?

Date: March 09, 2012 05:20PM

The professor in question had nothing to hide. What the universities do not want is the state prying at every twist and turn into research just because it does not fit with their "political agenda". That's why they were fighting (it wasn't the professor fighting, it was UVA!). If the professor had been hiding something, do you think the University of PA would have hired him? He is a very well known and highly regarded researcher. In the world of scientific research, if something doesn't hold water, it is "outed" by other researchers in the field pretty quickly. They have a whole lot of interest in the reputation of their scientific fields. They don't need Cucinelli doing that! When politicians get their hands in where they don't belong, it causes nothing good. Nobody who is at the top of their field will want to work at UVA if this crap goes on. Here's another thing---yes, the government pays his salary and he probably had federal grants---not STATE ones. Do we want that money to go to other state universities and not to our state? Yeah, that will really raise the reputation of UVA. UVA had a lot to lose. They got over a half million dollars in PRIVATE money to fight Mr. Cucinelli. Think about it.

Date: March 09, 2012 05:33PM

One more thing that people may not realize---research professors at institutions like U-VA have to write grant proposals to fund their research. Their salaries are often paid as part of these grants (usually federal, private, or a combination). The final decision by the VA Supreme Court was that Cucinelli did not have a constitutional right to subpoena.

Posted by: no its not ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:32PM

Get them out Wrote:

> This is just part of a whole bunch of stuff going
> on in this state that is making it lean heavily
> (and extremely) to the right. How about voter
> identification? How about an attorney general who
> subpoenas the research of a climate scientist at
> U-VA? It cost the state taxpayers a lot of money
> for that folly and Cucinelli lost when U-VA (with
> private funds) appealed. Of course the professor
> in question is now working at the University of
> Pennsylvania (Virginia's loss). It's dang scary
> that we have people in government who are trying
> to take away academic freedom and the conditions
> that lead to gaining true knowledge. This is what
> will cause people to leave the state if we keep
> electing Teapublicans. We need moderates!!
> Hopefully we can get these guys out in the next
> election. They are not doing anything good for
> the state of VA.

God forbid we make sure people voting for the leaders of our country are who they say they are.

Any scientist that believes in made made global warming despite it being disproved over and over again is no loss to UVA. UVA is now better off not having someone teaching made up science.

Posted by: Fairfax Resident ()
Date: March 09, 2012 09:22PM

It is a great law. The female gets a chance to see and hear the life she is about to destroy. Maybe just maybe having an ultrasound will change the woman's mind and keep the baby. The baby could always be given up for adoption and be raised in a traditional male/female marital home.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.