HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Effects of eviction?
Posted by: Not a bum ()
Date: October 20, 2011 10:05PM

My landlord is threatening eviction over a bullshit administrative paperwork issue, NOT for non-payment of rent, illegal activity, damage to the apartment, etc.

If I let them evict me, pack up my shit, and move somewhere else, what's the fallout of that? Does it still go on a credit report or permanent record somewhere that you've been evicted? Can I just let the clock run out so I don't prolong my stay (and have to pay them more rent)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effects of eviction?
Date: October 20, 2011 10:42PM

I think it depends on if the landlord reports it or not, but not totally sure. I'd try to talk to him about that if you're on good enough terms with him. Maybe he'll cut you a break on reporting it since it's not over money?

Posted by: Curious? ()
Date: October 20, 2011 10:43PM

What kind of "bullshit administrative paperwork issue"? The only paperwork issues I can think of would be failure to sign your lease, failure to sign a lease renewal after the old one expired, failure of your subsidized housing papers to be approved or lying on your lease application and I wouldn't call any of these bullshit.

Most likely your landlord would be thrilled to have you move out early if he is threatening eviction. Your big problem will likely be getting your security deposit back. You can probably deal with the deposit and ccredit reporting issues by having the landlord sign an agreement, but the bitch will be when a future landlord wants to talk with your current landlord.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: October 20, 2011 10:52PM

A lease for a year or less can be verbal and is binding,,,

Your landlord is taking advantage of the situation for some reason,,,
If it's with a property management co. than the're being dicks,,,

Next time anyone brings it up to you tell them your just gonna let your lawyer handle it. or if you have a lawyer or pre=paid legal have them write a letter on your behalf,,,that will end the power trip,,,

---------------------------------------------------------

An axe to grind, and a motor to hate,,,

Posted by: Not a bum ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:11PM

The complex I'm in has assisted living units, but I make enough that I'm not living in one of those. But, they want me to re-very my income to make sure I am still "eligible" to live there. I don't have housing tax credits or whatever they're called, I'm not getting reduced rent, nothing. But, they're basically saying I need to re-verify or face eviction.

They're citing the section of the lease that says I need to periodically re-verify if I'm receiving those credits, but I'm not. They have a couple other shady practices that I've put up with, but being threatened with eviction even though I've been living there for years and have never been late with the rent payment is the final straw. I'm prepared to tell them to fuck themselves, let them evict me, and move somewhere nicer.

I just want to make sure there's no lasting headaches from being evicted over this.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:19PM

Well everything I said in my first post is moot,,,

Except the lawyer part,,no one like to use a lawyer but more than likely this issue can be resolved with a letter and give you peace faster than any other remedy, and may cost as little as $75,,,

---------------------------------------------------------

An axe to grind, and a motor to hate,,,

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: October 21, 2011 09:15AM

Eviction is a difficult and lengthy process. If I were you, I'd wait it out. I'd also double check the lease to make sure you haven't mis-read it. Maybe get a lawyer to verify your understanding. To evict you they have to take you to court. They can't just show up one day and throw you out.

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: October 21, 2011 09:26AM

I agree with Shadow....most of these items, if not over actual payment, tend to be laughed at in court. I would try the kind and gentle approach,just to get what you want. I would read that lease with a fine toothed-comb. Landlords actually get in huge trouble if they evict and the tenant HAS paid. Hopefully you have cancelled checks, etc.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.