HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ok Digital TV sucks!
Posted by: grrrno ()
Date: September 21, 2011 10:12PM

Ok I Was expecting to watch TV and get normal channels like with
did with regular analog anetnnas.

But the station lineups are like station that feel like they are from a third world country.

THe only partt hat feels normal are the local station news channels.

Why didn't they keep the same look and feel of analog?

I feel like i was ripped off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ok Digital TV sucks!
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 21, 2011 11:13PM

There's all kinds of cool stuff. You need a good antenna ( Like this one: http://www.gomohu.com/ )

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

Strong Signal WNVC ETV 56-1 UHF
Strong Signal WRC NBC 4-1 UHF
Strong Signal WNVT ETV 53-1 UHF
Strong Signal WJLA ABC 7-1 Hi-V
Strong Signal WFDC UNIVISION 14-1 UHF
Strong Signal WUSA CBS 9-1 Hi-V
Strong Signal WTTG FOX 5-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WPXW ION 66-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WDCA MYTV 20-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WDCW CW 50-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WHUT PBS 32-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WETA PBS 26-1 UHF
Weak Signal WWPX ION 60-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal WMPT PBS 22-1 UHF
Weak Signal WFPT PBS 62-1 UHF
Weak Signal WHAG NBC 25-1 UHF
Weak Signal WNUV CW 54-1 UHF
Weak Signal WMAR ABC 2-1 UHF
No Signal WBFF FOX 45-1 UHF
No Signal WJZ CBS 13-1 Hi-V
No Signal WVPY PBS 42-1 UHF
No Signal WUTB MYTV 24-1 UHF
No Signal WJAL UNIVISION 68-1 UHF
No Signal WHSV ABC 3-1 UHF
No Signal WWPB PBS 31-1 UHF
No Signal WBAL NBC 11-1 Hi-V
No Signal WMPB PBS 67-1 UHF

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: September 21, 2011 11:48PM

Where are you watching from trogdor? Our upstairs (noncable) TV on a good day will pick up:
4-1 thru 4-3 NBC
5-1 Fox
7-1 thru 7-3 ABC
9-1 and 9-2 CBS
14-1 Spanish
20-1 who knows
26-1 thru 26-4 WETA Public
30-1 thru 30-10 International
32-1 and 32-2 Howard U Public TV
50-1 thru 50-3 CW I think
66-1 thru 66-3 ION TV

Over 30 stations under ideal circumstances, of which maybe 20 are reliable. Almost anywhere else in the house without cable would be maybe 5-10 stations.

Amazingly with all of these choices there are only about 3 shows per week I find worth watching.

Posted by: Ellipsis ()
Date: September 22, 2011 12:02AM

TV in general sucks

Posted by: Rabbit Ears ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:20AM

"But the station lineups are like station that feel like they are from a third world country."

You must have been floating across the international lineup of locally controlled MHZ network.

In the olden days it was WNVC/WNVT but the new guy who came over from Fairfax Public Access TV decided it should go for international programming for the many new arrivals amongst us. Does get some state funding but very minimal at this point. Think now mainly funded by cable systems across the country looking for programming to carry the country and I usspect MHz gets paid by most of the channels it carries from overseas i.e. Al Jazera, Russia Today

If your young you probably wouldn't appreciate the programming on sub channel 50.2 Antenna TV, runs old sitcoms from 70's and 80's during the evenings, still love All In The Family, and then late night runs lots of old movies from the 1930's up to 1980's. Hell except for the catheter commercials I think its better than Turner Classic Movies at this point. TCM runs the same movies over and over again these days. Channel 50.3 shows the THIS TV channel which is all movies from 1950's to 1980's. Some stink but others are very good, ViVa Zapata ole'

The picture quality ain't to good if a plane flys over or the wind blows more than 10mph or it rains harder than a drizzle. I remember all the bull shit that was shoveled out before the conversion from analog to digital over the air. How once you got the signal it would come in like a laser beam and the picture quality would be superior to analog. all bull shit!

and now there's talk on Capitol Hill of doing away completely with over the air digital tv and letting the moblie phone and other users of lots of bandwidth take over those frequencies

thus no free tv at all

fuck cable i had it with the lousy programming and the ever increasing cost

Posted by: Neuroses ()
Date: September 22, 2011 02:11PM

Ellipsis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TV in general sucks

TV is anti-reflection that returns, not truth, but affirmation to the viewer that he is content with his fictional self.

good bye.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 22, 2011 07:43PM

Bill N Wrote:
> Where are you watching from trogdor?

Centreville. The antenna makes a big difference. I was using a Terk powered antenna http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316734918&sr=1-1 which was great but it had to be readjusted for almost every channel.

Posted by: JIMA ()
Date: February 03, 2013 01:49PM

I GET 5 SPANISH STATIONS+2 PBS-ABC(RECENTLY ADDED BY THE NBC STATION)-NBC AND FOX.SINCE DIGITAL, CBS IS UNAVAILABLE WHERE I LIVE. I HAVE TO WATCH THE SUPER BOWL ON A BAD INTERNET SOURCE, MISSED THE LAST ONES ON CBS. ALL SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN USE THEIR GPS. NO PLANES, NO TV, NO GUNS, NO GOD> ALL BOZOS PLEASE STEP INTO THE BLUE BEAM.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: February 03, 2013 03:12PM

Instead of converting to a UHF signal, WUSA and WJLA decided to use their analog channel for their digital channel. So, you need a VHF and a UHF antenna to receive all network signals in most of the DC area.

Channels 4 and 5 are actually broadcasting on higher UHF channels.

Free TV will not go away. The government will not take TV away from poor people. The reverse auction will tighten up the UHF band, and take some licenses off the market, but it will not convert the entire spectrum away from over the air TV.

Posted by: MHZ ()
Date: February 03, 2013 03:42PM

Mhz is actually pretty good.

Posted by: Bruce Miller ()
Date: February 04, 2013 03:40AM

How much does Ferdie Thomasino charge the Vietnamese channel to air constantly on the local D.C. channel It sure is on all the time even with a dedicated channel just right down the digital dial. And Ferdie dropped Australian Rules Football cause didn't have the money or had a better offer?

Say isn't it illegal for an alleged public tv station to take money for programming?

i'm spinning in my grave

is ferdie a good friend of that dude with the blog about d.c. radio and tv

Posted by: kjhgf ()
Date: February 04, 2013 07:07AM

FUNdamental Wrote:

>
> Free TV will not go away. The government will not
> take TV away from poor people. The reverse
> auction will tighten up the UHF band, and take
> some licenses off the market, but it will not
> convert the entire spectrum away from over the air
> TV.

illegals that collect welfare and wic get free satellite tv so they can connect with back home

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.