HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Credit Headache
Posted by: native ()
Date: November 19, 2007 02:08PM

well the subject speaks for itself. My story is I graduated and moved on my own when I was 17, I was a young graduate. I am currently 20. I opened 3 credit cards, Bank of America, Wachovia and USAA(once I joined the military). Being that I lived on my own I got a credit limit of $2700 on all 3 cards which I shortly after maxed out on buying necessities. When I joined the military I reported to all 3 credit card issuers that I will be out for 9 months and put my cards on hold. This wasnt an issue with anyone but Wachovia which shortly after when I got to my first unit I found out that it was sent to charge off due to non-payment. I paid off the balance and closed the account with Wachovia.My other 2 credit cards have perfect repayment history and both of them have a low balance now and I pay them off completely monthly. At that time my credit score was roughly around 690, not bad. Shortly after I started checking my credit score online and it sunk to 480, when I checked my credit report showed two collection items both from "PowellRogers & Speaks" one for $230 and one for $235. I called them up right away to find out what it is for and they could NOT even find me in their system that I owe anything but yet it shows up on my credit report and its been marked as late for 6 months now. Anyone please help???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Credit Headache
Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 19, 2007 02:10PM

start investigation with credit agency.

Date: November 19, 2007 02:11PM

Another thing is with a credit score of 486 (checked today) you can imagine my odds of getting any kind of loan or credit limit increase. I am currently looking to buy a descent car ( around $15000 loan). Would anyone recommend or anyone who has delt with dealership that can help you with a loan with bad credit? I would prefer a descent APR but beggers with bad credit cant be picky. I never had any blemishes on repaying my credit cards but those two things on my credit completely sunk my score. Appreciate any input, thank you

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 19, 2007 02:16PM

usaa gave me a $10k loan because they *thought* I had a degree... they let me have it once they found out since they already said yes..

at that point all i had was a crappy $300 credit card and no other credit history...

try with them, see what happens..

I probably coulda got a higher loan initially, but didn't need it.. i actually called up to have it raised and thats when they asked about my degree, and told me no (but still wouldn't take back the loan)..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 02:17PM by bdimag.

Posted by: yuuck ()
Date: November 19, 2007 03:06PM

"When I joined the military I reported to all 3 credit card issuers that I will be out for 9 months and put my cards on hold"

Does that mean you owed them money and you told them you would be back in 9 months? If so of course they reported you deliquent. It seems what you told them was hey I will gone for a bit hold my debt until I get back.
The Powell rogers and sparks is most likely a credit collection agency. Credit cards companies turn over your debt to them.

If you are still in the military and need a car you should try a credit union associated with the military. They will give you a better rate and they know where you work and live so to speak. If you can still get different credit cards then apply for a couple and make sure you pay them on time. Don't buy anything large you cannot afford or do not need. Use them for gas or something small. The on time payments each month as long as you pay the minimum will boost your credit rating. Lastly make sure all the bad marks on your credit report are actually yours. If you have a common last name sometimes the bad scores belong to someone else. If they are not yours then the reporting agency has only so much time to contest or remove the bad reports.

If you do get a car loan you can always check with different banks during the life of the loan and try to get a new rate. Interest rates drop and if your score goes up you can sometimes get a better rate.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: November 19, 2007 03:18PM

At Easterns Motors, your job is your credit.

Date: November 19, 2007 03:22PM

Eastern Motors "rules"

When I was looking for my second car, I ended up going to their Manassas location

They ask you - how much you want to pay per month. I was like $200-250.
They are like we can put you behind a good car for $265 :)))))))

What they dont tell you is HOW long you are gonna pay those $265.

(No, i didnt get the car from them. I ended up going to Carmax, but thats another story)

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: November 19, 2007 03:53PM

1. Contact the credit card company that shows the charges that you did not make and advise them that they should be reversed.

2. Everytime someone (including yourself) checks your credits score, it shows up as an inquiry and lowers your score. STOP CHECKING IT

3. There are credit reporting agencies (they should be listed at the bottom of your report) whereby you can let them know that a delinquent or inaccurate report was sent to them. They will research the "event" and either remove the incorrect report or let you know what you need to do in order to get it removed.

Also - see below:

How do I dispute errors that are on my credit report?

In order to dispute information on your credit report, you should write a letter to the credit bureau (see example letter below). Enclose a copy of your credit report and circle any items that you dispute. Also include a copy of any proof that you might have that the item is incorrect. The address for filing complaints should be listed on the bottom of your credit report. You should mail it certified mail and keep a copy of the letter. This way, you have proof of what you wrote and when you sent it.

What kind of things can be wrong on a credit report?

Often credit reports contain incorrect information. For example, if you have an account that you used to be delinquent on, but now are current in your payments, the credit report must show that you are now making the payments on time. Otherwise, the information is incomplete.

Or maybe your credit report lists an account that was held in someone else's name but it is on your credit report. If your name was never on the account, it should not be listed on your credit report. You should dispute that credit entry.

Maybe you have old debt that should no longer be on your report. If the credit bureau fails to delete old information from your report you should write them and tell them to take it off of your report. Debts can be reported for 7 years. Bankruptcies can be reported for 10 years. Anything older is considered outdated and should be deleted from your file.

What will the credit bureau do after I send my letter disputing my credit report?

The credit bureau must investigate your claim within 30 days (unless it is frivolous). If the charge is incorrect or cannot be verified in that time, the credit bureau must delete it or change it as you requested. If they make changes to your report, the credit bureau must send you a new copy. You can also request that a new copy be sent to anyone who has gotten your credit report in the past 12 months. The credit bureau cannot re-insert the item without giving you written notice.

If the credit bureau can verify that the information that you disputed is correct, it has no duty to change or take it off your report. However, it must give you a written report of the results, and if you request it, a report of how it conducted its investigation. If you feel that the dispute still has not been resolved, you can submit a brief statement (less than 100 words) explaining your side of the story. If you call the credit bureau, they will usually help you prepare this statement. Your statement will then be included as part of your file.

What should I say in the letter to dispute items in my credit report?

Please use the following sample letter as a guideline when you dispute a portion of your credit report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: ____________, 2003
Joe Consumer
1 Park Avenue
Buffalo, NY 00000

Complaint Department
Name of Credit Bureau
Address
City, State, Zip

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute information on my credit report. I have circled the disputed items on the enclosed copy of my report.

Account #12345 from U.S. Bank is listed as 30 days late in May and June of 1999. However, this account was held solely in my ex-wife's name and should not appear on my credit report. Please delete this information.

Account #6789 from Shopper's Credit Cared is also inaccurate. There has been no activity on the account in the past 7 years. I closed it and paid it off in 1992. Therefore, the information is outdated and should be deleted.

Finally, account #10123 from Buffalo Bank is incomplete. It states that I did not make payments in July or August 1999. However, it does not say that I have since paid the money and am now current in my payments. Please complete this information.

I expect to hear from you within 30 days. I understand that you will send me the results of the investigation and if any changes are made, an updated credit report. I would also like a report on how the investigation was conducted.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

(Make sure you sign it here!)
Joe Consumer

Enclosures: Copy of credit report
(Also list any proof you have and enclose a copy)

What if an item is correct, but I disagree with it being reported because it wasn't my fault?

Even if an item is correctly reported, you have the right to explain the situation. For example, if you were late on payments because of an illness or you lost your job, you can include this information as part of your file. Sometimes lenders will consider these letters when they decide whether to give you credit or not. You can send the credit bureau a short statement (less than 100 words) and it will be added to your credit report.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 19, 2007 04:03PM

Well don't get too bummed out about it. Most credit can be repaired to an average or good level in about two years. You have to show that your paying bills and debt off on time in that period.

Basically your credit score is how much you will be paying interest %. If you shop around enough there is always some crazy loan shark who is willing to give a loan.

Just be careful that you do the math. Plenty of lenders may see naive kid who thinks his credit is ruined and sucker you into a really bad deal that you'll be paying off for the next 40 years or filing bankrupty on. Also remember that after a number of years, I think 7 in VA your credit slate will be wiped clean.

Date: November 19, 2007 04:15PM

I ordered a report from www.freecreditreport.com and have been a member with them for over a year. I havent noticed my score go down because I check the report. I go on the website once a month to see updates. I have never seen my score go down because of me checking it. Eastern Motors asked me for some 5k downpayment...... Tia thank you for that information, I will print out a copy of the report from the site and use the form you attach.
I have heard about the credit repair agencies such as Lexington Law, do those actually work or anyone had any luck with and if they are worth the money?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 19, 2007 04:17PM

freecreditreport.com doesnt leave inquiries in your credit history...

although they could be taking them out before showing them to you..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 04:18PM by bdimag.

Date: November 19, 2007 04:32PM

native Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard about the credit repair agencies such
> as Lexington Law, do those actually work or anyone
> had any luck with and if they are worth the money?

You really need to check out "credit repair" agencies. Some are just simply scams that will take off with your money. I have heard some nightmare stories about them.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 20, 2007 11:17PM

native Wrote:
> Being that I lived on my own I got a credit limit
> of $2700 on all 3 cards which I shortly after
> maxed out on buying necessities.

could you please list what you call "necessities?"

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 21, 2007 06:18AM

>Gravis Wrote: > could you please list what you call "necessities?"

Some server at Applebee's sold him a $2,700 playstation.

Posted by: Jaydee ()
Date: November 21, 2007 08:54AM

To the person who is having issues with his credit. Here are some items I believe may be of assistance to you.

1. You can challenge your credit score or FICO online. Check with any of the credit bureaus as to how this is done. It takes less than 30 days for the bureaus to respond to your inquiries/concerns.

2. Call Rosie Gonzalez at Hendrick Honda/Jeep of Woodbridge. She will definitely work with and for you. She can make it happen.

Best of luck to you!

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 21, 2007 09:50AM

yuuck Wrote:

> The Powell rogers and sparks is most likely a
> credit collection agency. Credit cards companies
> turn over your debt to them.
>
>

http://www.powellrogersandspeaks.com/

That's exactly what it is.

Changing a Credit Report is extremely difficult. It sounds to me like you got some bad advice - probably from a fellow jarhead - about how to deal with your credit cards. You should have taken a signature loan from your military credit union and paid off the cards before you deployed. The credit union could have set up automatic minimum payment from your checking account.

The best thing to do is rebuild your credit history. I would suggest buying a car you can afford (used car for $7 or $8K) and begin rebuilding your credit. Buying a car you can't afford at an inflated interest rate will just get you into more trouble down the road.

Posted by: just passing thru ()
Date: November 21, 2007 10:27AM

Anyone else seen the guy on channel 66 infomercial for Ted Britt. Some beer gut guy calling himself the Dawg is giving away cheap t shirts with his picture on it if you come by and test drive a car and see him for financing.

They offer almost new cars for 99 bucks a month. When you and hit the stop button and read some very small print at the bottom that is for three months and the rest of the loan is something like 550 bucks a month. He also has some eye candy blonde with him who wears clothes out of the 1980s. She appears to have a room temp IQ.

I don't know why but I have to watch the whole half hour, it is just so cheaply done and everything is ad lib. They appeal to the lowest common denominator. Cheap intro rates, flashy blonde woman and cars that must have belonged to a manassas redneck or inner city pimp. They have repo written all over them.

Date: November 21, 2007 11:21AM

Yup, I've seen the ad also. I think they are using some type of hypnosis or subliminal advertising because I too was suckered into watching the info commercial for about 10 minutes.

The Dawg character is pretty crazy looking. I wonder if he really works there or if that is some TV character they swiped and use as bait to get you into the place.

The show reminds of "King of Cars" and Chopper.

This deserves its own thread. Dawg thread - http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/56892.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 11:27AM by Lurker..

Date: November 21, 2007 11:42AM

If you are thinking about Credit Counseling, I would avoid most of those so-called nonprofit groups. Many of them are just fronts for predatory lenders who bundle your debt and then hit you with a ridiculous interest rate. I would suggest checking with your military credit union to see if they have any resources available or if they can point you in the right direction of who to talk to.

Date: November 22, 2007 11:11PM

My definision of necessities is food,a way to get to work and a place to sleep.
Whats a good place to go to finance under 10k car withOUT a co-sighner. Never met my dad and my mom lives her own life with some jackass so I stopped talking to her after realizing that she will never call unless I do so I stopped. Its been over 2 years. I would dare asking my friends to co-sigh. I am getting a second job tomorrow so maybe I can get back on my feet. Thank you for all responces but if anyone really know a place to finance a cheap car, please let me know. I am sure I can get financing if I put down some big crazy down payment but ......maybe in the future

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 22, 2007 11:20PM

Good luck on finding a car. Sounds like you had a tough life.

When you sign a car loan you can always get a new loan at a lower rate if you qualify say a year into the first loan. Once you establish yourself and make on time payments your credit score can go up. With the better score you should qualify for a lower interest rate loan. A four or five year loan can also be paid off sooner if you make additional principal payments each month. The banks hate when you do this but it is legal and can make a five year loan into four in no time at all.

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 22, 2007 11:27PM

I did a quick check of carmax and found over 100 cars at less than $10,000 in the DC area. At least with them you get some kind of warranty and a big name to back up the purchase. If you buy out of the paper or some half ass discount lot you may be sorry later on.
I don't think you will have a whole lot of trouble getting a loan, your problem will be at which rate of interest you qualify for. So even if you get a high interest loan make sure you make the payments and keep checking with other lenders for a lower rate during the life of your first loan. A few percentage points on a loan can make a big difference esp over the whole life of the loan.

Date: November 22, 2007 11:44PM

Try capital one.

Apply online, and if you qualify - they will send you a blank check. Decent rates, but ones again depends on your credit history. You can use it to buy from private owner or from dealership. You dont owe anything until you sign the check. Good way to shop around for best deal.

I know a guy who got financed at 19% at one of the local dealerships:)))

Date: November 23, 2007 07:44AM

native Wrote:

> Whats a good place to go to finance under 10k car
> withOUT a co-sighner.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I would suggest your military credit union. If you are not yet a member, you should join. I've found credit unions to be much more helpful than a typical bank. Also, many credit unions have arrangements with rental car companies to set up special financing with their members to buy their cars (the one I belonged to did, anyway).

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 23, 2007 01:33PM

native Wrote:
> My definision of necessities is food,a way to get
> to work and a place to sleep.

so i guess the escalade didnt work out, eh? seriously, you can get a place to stay and buy a POS car to get to work and back without breaking the bank. i think your mistake was thinking that just because you do need these things, that you should get something great. really, if you cant afford a car, you can take the bus. yes, there are people that take the bus! i think the problem is your choice of necessities are haughty. putting $10K into a car is just stupid. yes, i said it, STUPID. it's a machine to get you to places, it doesnt have to look like the best car out there. im not saying buy an eyesore that used to be two two trucks that were put back together but getting something that is closer to $5000 is waaaay more affordable. if you wanted, you could get a POS for under $1000. one thing everyone should keep in mind is that one day out of the blue, you could wreck your car and since it's not worth as much as it was when you bought it, you are going to loose a lot of money if you buy an expensive car.

my advice:
  1. dont take out a loan
  2. buy a POS car
  3. save up for a better car
  4. get the better car and light the old on fire and donate the old car so you get a tax deduction
  5. buy less expensive stuff
come on, if some guy who cant speak english can manage to do this, so can you.

to everybody: if you fork over two grand for a new computer, you are an idiot.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: November 23, 2007 05:07PM

and....car that is sold at a dealer for $10K, in reality is only worth about 6-7K.

Date: November 24, 2007 02:17PM

hmm I am going to pay/get rid of the collection items of of my credit report and see how much it will change my credit score. Considering there are 5 items on my credit report,2 of them are current(paid on time,low balance) credit cards and the other 3 are collection items. I am sure if I get rid of the 3 collection items, it should sky rocket my score, considering it was in mid 700's prior to them. I am probably going to hold of on buying a car now and drive my bullet proof pos for about another year....

Date: November 24, 2007 02:27PM

actually , I think I am going to buy a used truck(cash under $5000) and sell my little commuter. It seems like there are a lot of opening for hauling stuff for companies from place to place if you have a truck or a van.It sounds like it would be a good flexible part time job.

Date: November 24, 2007 03:00PM

you do have health insurance, right?

Posted by: joe ()
Date: November 24, 2007 03:27PM

native Wrote:
> It sounds like it would be a good flexible part
> time job.

I really don't think you would make much money hauling junk. Your main priority should be paying off that credit card debt. Do not buy ANYTHING besides food and over the counter medicine. If you do not have prescription drug coverage, you can get help paying for prescription drugs from PPA, depending on your salary.

https://www.pparx.org/

Date: November 24, 2007 03:49PM

Yes I do have health and dental insurance. I actually just went to the dentist this last week. Overall I am pretty healthy. I workout 6 days a week. I am 235lbs at 6'0 at 12% body fat. I havent had a need to see a doctor since I was 9 except emergency room when I broke my arm. I dont really have credit card debt, I started this thread because I had some off the wall collection items that I dont know where they came from and they are ruining my credit. I just know that down the road I will have trouble with loans if I dont take care of the collection items soon.

Date: November 24, 2007 04:03PM

native Wrote:
> hmm I am going to pay/get rid of the collection
> items of of my credit report and see how much it
> will change my credit score. Considering there are
> 5 items on my credit report,2 of them are
> current(paid on time,low balance) credit cards and
> the other 3 are collection items. I am sure if I
> get rid of the 3 collection items, it should sky
> rocket my score, considering it was in mid 700's
> prior to them. I am probably going to hold of on
> buying a car now and drive my bullet proof pos for
> about another year....

I've heard that it takes 7 years for a default to come off of your credit report, regardless of whether or not you pay off the debt.

Posted by: DOH!!! ()
Date: November 24, 2007 04:47PM

How's the Play Station treating you?

Date: November 24, 2007 05:52PM

awesome, I rented a blue ray movie, it was pretty good but not for $500 . I will put it up on ebay tomorrow.

Posted by: manticore ()
Date: November 24, 2007 09:00PM

native Wrote:
> Yes I do have health and dental insurance. I
> actually just went to the dentist this last week.
> Overall I am pretty healthy. I workout 6 days a
> week. I am 235lbs at 6'0 at 12% body fat. I havent
> had a need to see a doctor since I was 9 except
> emergency room when I broke my arm. I dont really
> have credit card debt, I started this thread
> because I had some off the wall collection items
> that I dont know where they came from and they are
> ruining my credit. I just know that down the road
> I will have trouble with loans if I dont take care
> of the collection items soon.

most car dealership have financiers that will finance anyone with poor credit. I got mine financed at 24.9% ha, by the time i was done paying i'd paid twice as much as the car was worth when i bought it, yet with 100k more miles on it. in hindsight, i wish i'd bought a POS

if you are only checking one credit repository and you'd like to see your other credit reports you can retrieve them all through www.annualcreditreport.com. the annualcreditreport site is just a tool to get you your free credit report that you're enitled to each year, it's handy, and its free to use them.

most (2 of 3) of the credit repositories will let you dispute things online. I've been told, though i'm not sure its 100% accurate, that if you dispute something and they cannot prove that you owe them the debt then they HAVE TO take it off your report within a set timeframe. I have disputed things in my credit reports on line and they have successfully gone away before (even some legitimate debts)

items (as said above) stay on your credit report for 7 years from the last date of activity. disputes do count as activity so keep in mind that if it IS a legitimate debt and you dispute it then you just reset the countdown. not that it sounds like it is in this case, just thought i'd throw that out there :)

Posted by: Some things ()
Date: January 11, 2016 11:43PM

Some things never change.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.