HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Catholics Withhold Communion!!!!
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 12, 2010 03:43PM

As they should! Read this article from the Cardinal Newman Society webpage.

Communion Withheld from Students Protesting Church with Rainbow Sash
It seems that a group of students from Catholic St. John’s University and the College of St. Benedict were denied holy communion by Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt when they came forward at Mass wearing rainbow sashes last week. The Star Tribune reported:

About 25 college students and community members at St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, Minn., were denied communion by Twin Cities Roman Catholic Archbishop John C. Nienstedt because they were displaying rainbow buttons and sashes in protest of the church’s stand on gay relationships.

The conflict between the archbishop and the group, mostly students from the Catholic St. John’s University and the College of St. Benedict, occurred during evening mass Sept. 26.

The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has “long denied communion to members of the Rainbow Sash Movement, who wear the colors to mass in protest of the church’s stance in opposition to homosexual relationships,†according to the article.

An archdiocesan spokesman said that the Church has said “for years you cannot receive communion if you wear the rainbow sash, because it’s a political statement, a sign of protest. Going to the communion rail is the most sacred part of our faith, the eucharist. We don’t allow anybody to make political statements or any kind of protest.â€

Interestingly, then-prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments, Francis Cardinal Arinze, expressed his opinion on the subject in a 2005 private letter obtained by Renew America. His secretary wrote: “Rainbow Sash wearers, the Cardinal says, are showing their opposition to Church teaching on a major issue of natural law and so disqualify themselves from being given Holy Communion.â€

The Star Tribune reports that the students were organized by the group People Representing the Sexual Minority (PriSM), which is listed as a club on the College of Saint Benedict, Saint John’s University website here.

Among PRiSM’s stated functions is that of offering “an opportunity for students to become further informed about and comfortable with accepting all sexual orientations.†The group also publicizes events to the college community including “Freedom to Marry Dayâ€.

Update 10/6/10, 12:38pm – We just learned there’s more to this story. According to WCCO.com, Fr. Rene McGraw, a professor of philosophy at St. John’s University, “held a short mass for the small group later the same night in which he served all of them communion.â€

“My understanding of church law is that one is not to deny communion to anyone unless he or she is a public sinner, and that has traditionally been interpreted very narrowly,†McGraw said. “My instinct was these are people who were in need, I’m supportive of them, therefore I’m happy to say mass for them.â€

The sad irony here is that by offering a back-up Mass to these agenda-driven students, Fr. McGraw is politicizing the sacred liturgy: the very false accusation levied at the Church by gay rights activisits for denying people communion.

Fr. McGraw’s action and public comments were disrespectful towards Archbishop Nienstedt. Hopefully an apology will be forthcoming.

Another update worth noting: a board member from PRiSM said “the students involved acted on their own, not under the auspices of PRiSM, and that their actions were aimed at Nienstedt and not at either college.â€

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catholics Withhold Communion!!!!
Posted by: Effn ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:09PM

I can't believe students are going to a Catholic church.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:29PM

Yes only give communion to Pediophiles only.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: themuse ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:41PM

Effn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe students are going to a Catholic
> church.

maybe they'll come up with a more sanitary method for receiving the blood.
the communal goblet thing creeps me out.

yeefuckinghaw

Posted by: catholicker ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:47PM

+1....and why do they want people to eat the body of christ anyway.

number 1, as a man, i wouldn't want to put another man's body inside my mouth

and number 2, why does christ taste like a stale cracker?

Date: October 12, 2010 04:57PM

If you were hungry, you wouldn't complain.

==================================================================================

Posted by: AsIf ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:07PM

Effn Wrote:
> church.

I can't believe people believe in the imaginary friend in the sky

Date: October 12, 2010 10:40PM

Yeah right idiot, because something coming from nothing makes soooooooo much sense.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 13, 2010 06:26AM

Effn Wrote:
> church.

Exactly. And the Catholics are intolerant and punish them for it.

Many other Christian churches are more tolerant than the Catholic Church and the Talliban! Kudos for a friend of mine for pointing that out to me.

Posted by: ferragamo ()
Date: October 13, 2010 09:27AM

They wouldn't let me in a Mosque because I wouldn't take my shoes off! They actually refused to let me in the prayer hall. WTF?!?!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.