HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Legend & Lies series, Stonewall Jackson, i call BS
Posted by: stoneballsjackson ()
Date: April 22, 2018 09:27PM

It is a good series, over all. But tonight they called Stonewall Jackson a slave owner? He was raised a poor orphan child. He couldn't afford a slave nor did he ever need one. Shame on you Brian Kilmeade??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legend & Lies series, Stonewall Jackson, i call BS
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 22, 2018 09:43PM

He was a traitor and a racist. Some hero.

Posted by: dickewell ()
Date: April 22, 2018 09:47PM

He was a God that made R.E. Lee look good. No son of Virginia would ever disrespect him, and if they do, "Give them the bayonet!"

Posted by: Uhneh ()
Date: April 23, 2018 07:44AM

The pastor, Dr. William Spottswood White, described the relationship between Jackson and his Sunday afternoon students: "In their religious instruction he succeeded wonderfully. His discipline was systematic and firm, but very kind. ... His servants reverenced and loved him, as they would have done a brother or father. ... He was emphatically the black man's friend." He addressed his students by name and they, in turn, referred to him affectionately as "Marse Major".[27]

Jackson's family owned six slaves in the late 1850s. Three (Hetty, Cyrus, and George, a mother and two teenage sons) were received as a wedding present. Another, Albert, requested that Jackson purchase him and allow him to work for his freedom; he was employed as a waiter in one of the Lexington hotels and Jackson rented him to VMI. Amy also requested that Jackson purchase her from a public slave auction and she served the family as a cook and housekeeper. The sixth, Emma, was a four-year-old orphan with a learning disability, accepted by Jackson from an aged widow and presented to his second wife, Mary Anna, as a welcome-home gift.[28] After the American Civil War began he appears to have hired out or sold his slaves. Mary Anna Jackson, in her 1895 memoir, said, "our servants ... without the firm guidance and restraint of their master, the excitement of the times proved so demoralizing to them that he deemed it best for me to provide them with good homes among the permanent residents."[29] James Robertson wrote about Jackson's view on slavery:

Jackson neither apologized for nor spoke in favor of the practice of slavery. He probably opposed the institution. Yet in his mind the Creator had sanctioned slavery, and man had no moral right to challenge its existence. The good Christian slaveholder was one who treated his servants fairly and humanely at all times.[30]

Posted by: Speaking of Bullshit ()
Date: April 23, 2018 08:12AM

Stonewall Jackson sending thousands of men to die in order to protect slavery while thumping his Bible is totally fucked up.

The Bible says Methuselah lived to be 969 years old, Jared 962 years old, Noah 950 years old, It also says slavery was okay.

They must have had really great health care providers back then. NOT!

I ain't buying that shit. I call BS.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.