HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The real gauge of Hurricane Irma away from all of the media hype
Posted by: Money talks, BS walks ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:29PM

Insurer that was set to lose a bundle on Irma is skyrocketing

- Heritage Insurance stock spiked upward after initial Florida damage reports were not as bad as anticipated.

- Shares of over half a dozen local Florida insurers are spiking in trading Monday.

- Stock prices of the home insurers plunged last Tuesday after Irma strengthened into a Category 5 storm.

Michael Sheetz | @thesheetztweetz
Published 35 Mins Ago | Updated 24 Mins Ago
CNBC.com

Shares of Heritage Insurance are rallying over 23 percent higher in trading Monday after initial reports from Florida revealed less damage from Hurricane Irma than anticipated.

The Clearwater, Florida-based insurer led a pack of local, small industry stocks higher, including moves 12 percent or more upward by shares of HCI Group based in Tampa, Universal Insurance in Fort Lauderdale, Federated National in Sunrise and Blue Capital Reinsurance in Pembroke, Bermuda.

"Hurricane Irma was tough, but it looks like it wasn't as bad as some expected," said Randy Frederick, vice president of trading and derivatives at Charles Schwab. "Towards the close on Friday, you saw a bit of a sell-off as ... people braced for the worst."

Shares of reinsurers surged, as the companies could have been on the hook if damage to Florida were severe. Two more Hamilton, Bermuda-based insurance stocks — Aspen Insurance and Everest Re — rose 7 percent or more in Monday's trading.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The real gauge of Hurricane Irma away from all of the media hype
Posted by: Not ME ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:33PM

I'm not buying any Florida home insurance stocks right now. I bet half go under.

Posted by: Certainteed ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:43PM

Not ME Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not buying any Florida home insurance stocks
> right now. I bet half go under.

Naaaa. They got off easy. Mostly roof damage and landscaping.

They only pay for wind damage. Water damage isn't on them.

Posted by: wkdlx ()
Date: September 11, 2017 03:25PM

when i was younger, hurricanes that were strong out at sea were sometimes described as being LESS THREATENING than the "hight category at sea" ones ...

here's how ...

where the storms develops on the southern mid-east Atlantic one gets the idea of the "energy" it might have

from there-on (not saying where the dividing line is) the hurricane LOOSES ENERGY. THIS LINE IS NOT "on the florida coast"

as it swirls east to the American islands, if it tends to "spend it's energy" at sea then it will be less serious when it falls on North America - becauase it's spent it's energy by sucking up / raining down sea water out at sea

POINT: YOU DON'T HEAR THAT ANY MORE, you hear instead that "big hurricane action at sea means worse action when hitting land" ... which according to past weatherman: is an irresponsible lie

(that being said the experience weather person has to know the initial size (ie from NOAA aircraft) to know if the hurricane is "spending it's energy at sea" or is just a big hurricane on it's way. but weather people are SUPPOSED TO KNOW. an amateur would not be able to know when a hurricane is spending it's stored energy or how much, let alone determine how much energy is left stored)

-------------------------

that's all bullshit in the light of the fact FOX/CNN/WTOP/VA GOV have become fake news trying to shake up stocks: THEY ARE NOTHING BUT looters who aren't on the streets when it happens

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.