HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Libtards hate the reefer
Posted by: Libtards Against Reefer ()
Date: August 01, 2016 11:33AM

Kennedy group puts $2 million into fight against pot-legalization measures

August 1, 2016

Facing well-financed campaigns to legalize recreational pot, a national coalition that includes former Rep. Patrick Kennedy has raised more than $2 million to fight initiatives in five states this year, including a November ballot measure in California.

The money is being put up by the political arm of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, an anti-legalization group founded by Kennedy; David Frum, senior editor of the Atlantic; and Kevin Sabet, a former drug policy advisor to the Obama administration.

The opposition campaign to California’s Proposition 64 will eventually get a large amount of the money because its vote affects so many people and is likely to have the biggest influence on other states considering similar proposals, said Sabet, president of the group, SAM Action.

“If there is one thing we agree on with legalization advocates, it’s that California is important,” said Sabet, explaining why a large share of funding is going to the Golden State.

If approved by voters Nov. 8, the ballot measure would allow adults 21 and older to possess, transport and use up to an ounce of cannabis for recreational purposes and would also impose a 15% tax on retail sales of the drug.

The opponents also plan to fund battles against cannabis legalization initiatives on the November ballots in Nevada, Massachusetts and Maine, in addition to Arizona, where signatures have been turned in, according to Sabet.

The contribution to the opposition campaign in California comes after it has fallen far behind its opponents in fundraising.

Former Facebook President Sean Parker has put $2.5 million into the legalization campaign, which has raised a total of $6.7 million so far for the initiative qualification and efforts to win voter support.

In comparison, the opposition’s Coalition for Responsible Drug Policies has raised about $125,000 from groups including the Assn. for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs State PAC and the Los Angeles County Professional Peace Officers Assn.

Sabet said opponents don’t expect to be able to match the money raised by proponents because the backers have a financial incentive to invest in legalization.

“If legalization wins, it creates an environment where a small number of people are going to get rich,” Sabet said.

A representative for Parker has denied that he has plans to invest in the marijuana industry.

Some of the money is going to Latino outreach coordinators based in Los Angeles with the expectation that the initiative could be vulnerable to opposition from that community if it votes in large numbers in the presidential contest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Libtards hate the reefer
Posted by: Rockstar ()
Date: August 01, 2016 11:35AM

Where's the money in opposing it?

In other words, let's see the contributions to Kennedy from the liquor and tobacco lobby...

Posted by: sanders voter ()
Date: August 01, 2016 11:59AM

Legal marijuana is almost certain to get eradicated if Trump becomes POTUS. Christie is the shoe-in for attorney general and he is majorly opposed to what states like Colorado have done and said it would be his agenda to stop it. This is one of the main reasons I will vote against Trump in November. Sanders got screwed by Hillary but America will get fucked over by Trump.

Posted by: Rockstar ()
Date: August 01, 2016 12:08PM

I have to say, I have supported legalization my whole life, and I'm completely on board with Colorado and similar efforts, but with everything else that's going on in the world and in the US, if marijuana legalization is your single-issue voting platform, you're fucking deranged. But thanks for your support just the same.

Posted by: sanders voter ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:14PM

Rockstar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to say, I have supported legalization my
> whole life, and I'm completely on board with
> Colorado and similar efforts, but with everything
> else that's going on in the world and in the US,
> if marijuana legalization is your single-issue
> voting platform, you're fucking deranged. But
> thanks for your support just the same.

Not my single issue at all, I don't even smoke it. But it's a realistic bellweather of what we can expect from a Trump presidency. He will bring the right-wing bozo's out of the woodwork. The anti marriage equality crowd. Religious nuts who oppose climate change and want to put intelligent design in schools. White supremacist folks who want empowerment to berate and blame immigration for their station in life.

Trump is the style-over-substance motivating these kinds of people. A very bad representative for America.

Posted by: You melodramatic fagtard ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:18PM

sanders voter Wrote:
> Rockstar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have to say, I have supported legalization my
> > whole life, and I'm completely on board with
> > Colorado and similar efforts, but with
> everything
> > else that's going on in the world and in the
> US,
> > if marijuana legalization is your single-issue
> > voting platform, you're fucking deranged. But
> > thanks for your support just the same.
>
> Not my single issue at all, I don't even smoke it.
> But it's a realistic bellweather of what we can
> expect from a Trump presidency. He will bring the
> right-wing bozo's out of the woodwork. The anti
> marriage equality crowd. Religious nuts who
> oppose climate change and want to put intelligent
> design in schools. White supremacist folks who
> want empowerment to berate and blame immigration
> for their station in life.
>
> Trump is the style-over-substance motivating these
> kinds of people. A very bad representative for
> America.

Please STFU

Posted by: manufactured pain killers? ()
Date: August 01, 2016 11:18PM

Its a powerful, non-addictive, non-toxic drug you can grow indoors or in your back yard for pennies. Dr.s in CO have written far fewer scripts for pain killers where legal MJ is an option*.

Gee, I wonder who would ever want to prevent legalization of a cheap plant that is safer and more powerful than expensive, manufactured pain killers?

* http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/06/484977159/after-medical-marijuana-legalized-medicare-prescriptions-drop-for-many-drugs

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medical-marijuana-painkiller-deaths-drop-25-266577

Posted by: u must be high ()
Date: August 01, 2016 11:26PM

sanders voter Wrote:
> Rockstar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have to say, I have supported legalization my
> > whole life, and I'm completely on board with
> > Colorado and similar efforts, but with
> everything
> > else that's going on in the world and in the
> US,
> > if marijuana legalization is your single-issue
> > voting platform, you're fucking deranged. But
> > thanks for your support just the same.
>
> Not my single issue at all, I don't even smoke it.
> But it's a realistic bellweather of what we can
> expect from a Trump presidency. He will bring the
> right-wing bozo's out of the woodwork. The anti
> marriage equality crowd. Religious nuts who
> oppose climate change and want to put intelligent
> design in schools. White supremacist folks who
> want empowerment to berate and blame immigration
> for their station in life.
>
> Trump is the style-over-substance motivating these
> kinds of people. A very bad representative for
> America.

Trump, speaking to Bill O’Reilly on Fox News this week, was asked about his position on marijuana legalization in Colorado. After expressing some concern over the health effects of marijuana, he was pressed by O’Reilly about what he would do to stop it. Trump then confessed that “I would, I would really want to think about that one Bill, because in some ways, I think it’s good and in other ways, it’s bad.”

It’s hard to know exactly where Trump stands, because he is the master of the non-answer on many policy questions. But Trump is an avid supporter of the concept of medical marijuana, answering in the same O’Reilly interview: “I know people that have serious problems... and... it really, really does help them.”

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.