HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fast Food
Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: September 09, 2006 05:49PM

Fast food is destroying Americas health - what are peoples take on that? I havent had that shit since Feb of 2005 (yeah, good for me thanks) but damn did it taste good... I refuse to put that shit in my body now that i read into it. People use the excuse "i have no time" as a crutch, plan ahead and prepare something the previous day! America is lazy and unhealthy and its only getting worse... i bet the medicaid/medicare situation would get better if people only took care of themselves. What does everyone think about all of that? Agree/Disagree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast Food
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: September 09, 2006 06:44PM

I hate when people blame the fast food restaurants instead of the people that are making unhealthy choices. I eat at McDonalds every month or so (although all I order is a hamburger Happy Meal). I also eat at restaurants with rich foods (mmmm, enchiladas and gnocchi) and huge portions. But I balance those unhealthy choices by generally eating a lot of fruits and vegatables as well as foods rich in protein and fiber (and a healthy amount of fat and carbohydrates). I am sure that I have a lot to learn about nutrition, but any mistakes I make are my own and not those of a fast food restaurants.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 09, 2006 07:25PM

Fast food is destroying Americas health - what are peoples take on that?

How about: Americans are destroying America's health.

Date: September 09, 2006 07:44PM

ok i will revise what i said. fast food chains are AIDING in the poor health of America. and yes, it is the peoples fault IF THEY KNOW what they are eating. Education is key. Its like cigarettes when they first came out... who knew they caused health problems? they sure didnt.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 09, 2006 08:27PM

uhhcya dude are Morgan Spurlock in disguise?

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: September 09, 2006 10:22PM

uhhcya Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok i will revise what i said. fast food chains are
> AIDING in the poor health of America. and yes, it
> is the peoples fault IF THEY KNOW what they are
> eating. Education is key. Its like cigarettes when
> they first came out... who knew they caused health
> problems? they sure didnt.

What kind of stupid asshole doesn't know that fast food is bad for you?

Date: September 09, 2006 10:51PM

fast food chains are AIDING in the poor health of America

That whole argument is a logical fallacy; "affirming the consequent"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2006 10:54PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: September 10, 2006 09:47AM

I eat fast food and I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol and am in generally good health. Why? Because I don't SuperSize it and I don't eat a triple guac burger with bacon every day.

People have the right to destroy their health and companies like McDonald's have the right to help them do it. However, insurance companies should also have the right to deny these people coverage and employers should have the right to make them pay the differences in their premiums when they are covered.

If I do have a problem with fast food companies, it is the way they target kids with their marketing. However, parents need to show some damn responsibility as well. Eight year olds aren't buying Happy Meals on their own.

Date: September 10, 2006 11:03AM

Because I don't SuperSize

Exactly.

You're not going to ruin your health by eating a Wendy's Jr. bacon cheeseburger (no fries or soda with that), or by eating 2 Taco Bell tacos, or by eating a 6 piece McNugget (again, no fries or soda) once or twice a week.

Fast food can serve a useful purpose if you're making choices like the ones above (quick & cheap lunch snack when you're hungry and in a hurry).

It's dumbasses that see fast food restaurants as an excuse to gorge themselves on abnormally large meals that are ruining their health.

Date: September 10, 2006 11:58AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Because I don't SuperSize
>
> Exactly.
>
> You're not going to ruin your health by eating a
> Wendy's Jr. bacon cheeseburger (no fries or soda
> with that), or by eating 2 Taco Bell tacos, or by
> eating a 6 piece McNugget (again, no fries or
> soda) once or twice a week.
>
> Fast food can serve a useful purpose if you're
> making choices like the ones above (quick & cheap
> lunch snack when you're hungry and in a hurry).
>
> It's dumbasses that see fast food restaurants as
> an excuse to gorge themselves on abnormally large
> meals that are ruining their health.

I like french fries, but they are definitely coffin nails. At the very least, only eat a few. Don't eat the whole friggin' box.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 10, 2006 12:19PM

So food stores can sell unhealthy food? Maybe drugs should be legalized as well.... I bet pot is better than McDonalds.....

I bet alot of people would vote for that...

Ciggs are also legal....

How about Big companies like these have control over congress why? Because they fund them millions and millions and in return they continue on to sell products.....

Just like how Bush was funded money from energy companies... Energy companies were required to have scrubs installed into there factories which would be a multi billion project...But instead they supported Bush and gave him whatever money he needed and Bush took care of it by starting a health operation vs Energy companies such as yearly check ups which rather than spending multi billions these companies had to spend only a few mills a year...... It made Bush look good and it took care of the act that required them to spend billions on the plant...... Btw the people who run the health operation started vs the energy companies all work for the energy companies..... It will continue to shorten lives and cause more asthema attacks....these numbers are @ the thousands... very close to Millions.....

So who does anything about it? We cant do anything...Why? cause our government doesnt....who do we expect to do anything about this? well we expect our government to but i mean if they get a nice big check then why should they? We are out of control. I dont even think Bush is under everything....I belive bush is controlled.... He is just the face/body.

So nothing will be done About McDonalds...

Date: September 10, 2006 12:26PM

no but i bet if people took the initiative to get educated, it would hurt the fast food industry and force them to not sell the shit they do

Date: September 10, 2006 12:31PM

Firrat Wrote:
> So food stores can sell unhealthy food? Maybe
> drugs should be legalized as well....

Unhealthy foods stores sell...

Prime Rib (heart disease). Sour Cream (heart disease). Cheese (heart disease). Wine (liver disease). Potato Chips (heart disease, possibly cancer). Liverwurst (heart disease). Sausage (heart disease, cancer). Beer (liver disease). Eggs (heart disease). Candy (diabetes). Ice Cream (heart disease, diabetes).

...Basically, too much of anything will kill you. Should we pull all of this stuff off of store shelves?

Where I think government regulation would be helpful is in all the additives and shit that are put into food. Trans-fats, corn syrup, BHT, food coloring, etc, should all be either eliminated or more closely monitored. However, consumers also have a responsibility to avoid this stuff on their own. If enough people refuse to buy things with trans-fats and food coloring, food producers won't make them anymore.

Date: September 10, 2006 12:48PM

Yes True, But Mcdonalds and such fast food companies are just ridiculously unhealthy cause they need to mass produce. They use grade F meat if they need to.... Grade F meat is used for dog food or animal food....

There should be stricter standarts.

Such companies like Fudrucers are great examples of what Mcdonalds should be like. Too many burgers will ofcourse cause problems, but thats where its upto the buyer. It should be the stores duty to deliver that food product to the customer as healthy as it can be delivered.

It is upto the consumer on how many they need or eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2006 01:10PM by Firrat.

Date: September 10, 2006 12:57PM

both are right. the additives however, those are really the bottom point. additives are what makes up a large portion of unhealthyness. For instance, alot of these "dyes" like yellow 5 and red 40 etc... come from petroleum... and peopel put that in their bodies not knowing where it comes from. They walk into the stores and say, oh well since its on the shelf it must be ok to eat... The FDA allows it because its in small ammounts. I BET that if you tooke a quarter of a drop of gasoline in some of your food once a week it wouldnt do anything. However, if you take a quarter drop of gasoline over a period of time then you will have problems. Thats exactly whats happening (only not with gas, but other chemicals). screw that. people need to educate themselves. thats my take on additives.

Posted by: kaveerly ()
Date: September 10, 2006 01:23PM

Anybody know where I can get a good vegepygmy around this area?

Date: September 10, 2006 02:44PM

kaveerly Wrote:
> Anybody know where I can get a good vegepygmy
> around this area?

someones into dungeons and dragons a bit much... lol. i believe there are gameing stores in the mall. enjoy ;)

Posted by: MayorMcCheese ()
Date: September 10, 2006 03:27PM

The dollar menu at McD's is awesome! Double Cheeseburger, Hot Fudge Sundae, Hot Apple Pie, Chicken Sandwich!

Date: September 10, 2006 07:53PM

MayorMcCheese Wrote:
> The dollar menu at McD's is awesome! Double
> Cheeseburger, Hot Fudge Sundae, Hot Apple Pie,
> Chicken Sandwich!

Everytime I try to order a cheeseburger at McDonald's some goo-back at the counter says, "Chicken Sandwich?"

Posted by: Kernel ()
Date: September 10, 2006 10:25PM

OMG! The new KFC snacker is also only 99 cents!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:12PM

The kfc snacker is great. Just get like 10 and you can feed 3 people.

Posted by: Marlboro man ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:39PM

yet again , people are blaiming everyone else for there own problems.
Meeper said it best "How about: Americans are destroying America's health"

Stop trying to get the government to legistlate your opinions and ruining everyones elses quality of life. What if I want to have an artery clogging, additive laden "Royal with cheese", and a twinkie to top it off, should the government outlaw foods that are bad for me, just because some people lack self control. Stop making the government your personal babysitter.

Hell we should just add another admendment,

Amendment XXVIII
We the people who can not control ourselves and our pettiest urges, will forever hand over our self control and responsiblity to our government, because they know better"

If the food is bad, dont eat it, we are still in a free state and have our choices..I for one want all my options available for me to choose freely.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: September 11, 2006 07:13PM

Marlboro man,
amen.

Oh, and this is off-topic.

Date: September 11, 2006 08:44PM

Wtf. Drugs should be legal..Not that i use them but if i want to harm myself then i should have the right to legally use it...

Suicide should be legal as well....

Alot of things should be legal if you wanna look at it that way....

If a food company cannot deliver a burger as healthy as it can be delivered then wtf? Yes we have the choice not to eat it, yet still i think they should be less fatning and more good for you.

All i am saying is...If they are gonna make a burger, dont destroy it up with all the BS they put in it but make it natural and use natural ingreadiants to make it healthy.....

But a Burger will always be a burger

Date: September 11, 2006 09:13PM

yet still i think they should be less fatning and more good for you.

Go buy your own ingredients and cook your own food at home.

Date: September 12, 2006 07:27AM

and people bitch about medicare/medicaid. That brings up the answer for marlboro man. people ruin their quality of life with the shit they put in their bodies including cigarettes thus having health problems as they get older thus aiding in the drainage of health insurance. So you know what? Yes the govt should get involved in some aspect. Furthermore, may i remind you that it is the governments responsibility to take care of its people. Your opinion makes no sense to me.

Personal Responsibility
Posted by: John F. Kennedy ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:06AM

uhhcya, your right, but very wrong. Even a Democrat said this, "Ask What You Can Do For Your Country, Not What Your Country Can Do For You".

If we reviewed your personal habits and your view on the government, the "Marxists" might have you in jail for looking at someone wrong.

Do you honestly believe the government should tell you how to eat, provide health care, house, food, clothing? May be you do. I don't think so!

If you truly think so, how will it be paid for? Government does not have money, they take yours. Look at our misguided government in Fairfax. My personel property taxes have doubled since 1996, the schools are average at best. Just look at the last copy of our local newspapers and they have Chantilly High School on a list that needs major improvement because it is not meeting the standard.

Posted by: § ()
Date: September 12, 2006 11:39AM

Solution: When feeling the slightest bit full, stop eating. You'll have six-pack abs in no time. -§

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 12, 2006 02:11PM

As Depak Chopra suggests, try a smaller portion and then wait ten minutes. If after ten minutes you are still hungry then eat some more, but often the "full" feeling is delayed somewhat.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: September 13, 2006 06:24PM

Of course the food is bad for you if you eat it everyday but the killer is the fishbowl sized drinks that come with them. Just order a bottled water or at the very least a small soda. Taco Bell is sick giving out those monster size drinks with every meal.

Date: September 13, 2006 09:01PM

As Depak Chopra suggests

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2006 09:06PM by TheMeeper.
Attachments:
TupacFlag100.jpg

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 13, 2006 09:29PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> As Depak Chopra suggests
> [oversized picture]

shrink that fucking picture. seriously, 800x600, wtf?!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 13, 2006 10:37PM

seriously, 800x600, wtf?!

Because Deepak would have wanted it that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2006 10:37PM by TheMeeper.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:21AM

Im not saying the government should not tell us how to eat but instead, educate people. Fast food has a great potential to be somewhat healthy. Mcdonalds took a major step by getting rid of the supersize shit and styrofoam and adding salads to their menu.... it will get better eventually.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: September 14, 2006 09:58AM

uhhcya Wrote:
> Im not saying the government should not tell us
> how to eat but instead, educate people. Fast food
> has a great potential to be somewhat healthy.
> Mcdonalds took a major step by getting rid of the
> supersize shit and styrofoam and adding salads to
> their menu.... it will get better eventually.

I'd rather spend my money on college then have to pay for the government to "educate" people about how greasy shit is bad for you.

Posted by: fatguy ()
Date: August 12, 2012 03:41PM

uhhcya Wrote:
> Im not saying the government should not tell us
> how to eat but instead, educate people. Fast food
> has a great potential to be somewhat healthy.
> Mcdonalds took a major step by getting rid of the
> supersize shit and styrofoam and adding salads to
> their menu.... it will get better eventually.

Thanks for mentioning Mcdonalds. Now I have to run my huge mercury through the drive through and get a big mac meal with an extra big mac on the side with a large diet coke. At least I dont have to get out of the car.
Oh and they are gonna ask me if I want two apple pies for two dollars with that, so you know Im gonna have to get that shit too.

Posted by: lot of shit at home tho ()
Date: August 12, 2012 06:47PM

uhhcya Wrote:
> Fast food is destroying Americas health - what are
> peoples take on that? I havent had that shit since
> Feb of 2005 (yeah, good for me thanks) but damn
> did it taste good... I refuse to put that shit in
> my body now that i read into it. People use the
> excuse "i have no time" as a crutch, plan ahead
> and prepare something the previous day! America is
> lazy and unhealthy and its only getting worse... i
> bet the medicaid/medicare situation would get
> better if people only took care of themselves.
> What does everyone think about all of that?
> Agree/Disagree?

baked goods (blood sugar, triglicerides)
frozen processed foods (high fat, high sodium).
canned goods (sugar, high sodium).

Posted by: Meade Madness ()
Date: July 06, 2022 03:26PM

Meade should avoid fast foods for his health and finances

Posted by: best adivce ()
Date: July 06, 2022 03:32PM

pgens Wrote:
> As Depak Chopra suggests, try a smaller portion
> and then wait ten minutes. If after ten minutes
> you are still hungry then eat some more, but often
> the "full" feeling is delayed somewhat.

Too bad you don't post here anymore. You are obviously a man of science and knowledge. Yes that is an excellent way. It shuts off the hunger response and really. really works.

Posted by: no ()
Date: July 06, 2022 03:34PM

Meade Madness Wrote:
> Meade should avoid fast foods for his health and
> finances

Meade needs to avoid that cheese thing he makes, like a cheap fondue. Talk about packed arteries, not a good thing to eat.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.