HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hunger in Washington, D.C.
Posted by: Not fat ()
Date: August 03, 2009 11:17AM

According to NPR this morning, there are 630,000 people in the Washington, D.C. metro area who “experience hunger.”

Is this so bad?

I mean, I know there are times when I eat even though I am not hungry, often I eat because I AM hungry. That's normal, right? Heck, as I understand it, people die of dementia because their body has turned off the desire to eat as a response to hunger.

In fact, if we had more "hunger" in Washington, D.C. (or in America) I think the obesity epidemic might start to wane.

Sometimes “The Hungry” are identified as those who “go to bed hungry.”

But that’s not so bad either, is it?

I mean, eating just before going to bed tends to cause that food to turn to fat.

So I often go to bed hungry (though not starving) and then wake up and eat my oatmeal.

I wonder, then, what NPR’s number represents.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hunger in Washington, D.C.
Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: August 03, 2009 11:40AM

Not fat Wrote:

> In fact, if we had more "hunger" in Washington,
> D.C. (or in America) I think the obesity epidemic
> might start to wane.

Hunger is relative when applied to people who live at or below the poverty level. Even those who regularly eat processed foods with little or no nutritional value will "experience hunger" and still be obese.

> Sometimes “The Hungry” are identified as those who
> “go to bed hungry.”
>
> But that’s not so bad either, is it?
>
> I mean, eating just before going to bed tends to
> cause that food to turn to fat.

Actually, this is not a true statement and ofen misrepresented.

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie regardless of when it is consumed. Food eaten during the lunch break, just before going back to the office to sit at a desk for 5-6 hours will also result in food-to-fat.

What happens to the calories taken in depends on the types of calories you consume, and what you do after you consume them.

Most fresh vegetables are not only 0 calories, some actually burn calories to consume. You can eat a huge plate of fresh vegetables with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing just before going to bed and actually burn calories while you sleep as your body absorbs and processes the nutrients and fiber.

Also, if you work out and build muscle, your body will burn up to 500 calories a day, just maintaing the muscle mass.

The key is not how much you eat as what you eat. Some local food stamp distributors are now conducting an experiment and authorizing farmers market vendors to accept food stamps in payment for fresh produce.

Regardless of what people say, Mac and Velveta Cheese is NOT real food

Re: Hunger in Washington, D.C.
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: August 03, 2009 01:12PM

When it isnt you that's going hungry..chronically..day after day...it's not so bad!

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.