HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Collegiate football in dc area
Posted by: Br8kr ()
Date: April 11, 2016 01:17PM

If more college teams in the area fielded football programs, how much support do you think they would get from the community? I know George Washington used to have a pretty reputable football program in the 60's and there has been talk of Mason fielding a program. Outside of Georgetown, no school in the area possesses a proper football team. Could be good for the sports seen. Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collegiate football in dc area
Posted by: b6J3T ()
Date: April 11, 2016 01:31PM

Maryland is inside the Beltway. They are in the Big 10

Date: April 11, 2016 01:54PM

Yes, Maryland has a football team and it's in the Beltway. I guess I was referring more specifically to schools solely in DC. I don't know why I mentioned Mason.

Posted by: PjeVw ()
Date: April 11, 2016 01:57PM

Well if you're talking about the District proper, then there are no D1 teams.

Posted by: don't forget! ()
Date: April 11, 2016 02:00PM

Catholic and Howard have teams

Date: April 11, 2016 02:17PM

That's right they do! I can't believe I forgot about them. As another poster mentioned, we have no schools that play D1 football in D.C and I think that's ashame. I think we need more credible football teams in the area to compensate for the fact that we can only rely on the Redskins to have one good to decent season every 3 or 4 years. I am wondering a. does anyone thing they'd get the support from donors, fans, alumns and b. could they attract fairly good athletes to their programs? Even at the FBS level I think a school like GW could pull in talent away from a school like Maryland or probably even Uva or Tech.

Posted by: ncGDV ()
Date: April 11, 2016 02:31PM

Howard and Catholic are D1. They are D1AA though.

Posted by: Merlin ()
Date: April 11, 2016 04:20PM

Maryland, and that's about it. Howard is a perennial whipping boy and Georgetown/Catholic don't have the numbers to be really competitive. All the schools inside the District that still have football would be better off dropping it entirely and focus on cheaper, but stronger baseball and basketball programs where there already is a tradition of winning. Football's on its way out anyways, so might as well jump the gun.

DC doesn't need a "hometown" college football team. With so many people here that are educated and transplanted from somewhere else, most already have ties as an alum of their college. Georgetown, Catholic, and Howard get practically no fan support at football games now as-is. Face it, we live in all live in DC and there's more fun shit to do here than watch mid-level college football live on a Saturday.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.