HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Car Shopping
Posted by: Que? ()
Date: June 12, 2015 06:13PM

Does it really need to make you feel like killing yourself?

Between the salespeople whose names are entirely made up of vowels, to the BS, to the run-around, the lies, the ignorance...Holy shit. It's never been a pleasant experience but this time around seems to be particularly terrible.

I'm trying to get a deal, in writing, before walking into a dealership. Even that is proving to be nearly impossible as I've got a $5k range in quotes and the guys at the high end can't fathom some of the quotes on the low end.

Does anyone have a good new Honda or used dealer that doesn't have their head up their ass?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Shopping
Posted by: Richard Petty ()
Date: June 12, 2015 06:40PM

Just go to Carmax. They take all the stress out of making a deal. They usually have nice cars and their prices are in the ballpark.

You can drive yourself insane trying to get a "deal".

Now I will warn you, there aren't many english first language car salesmen anymore at any dealers.

Posted by: FCU ()
Date: June 12, 2015 06:58PM

I've used the buying service from the credit union that I am a member of. I get the financing from them also.

Good Luck!

Posted by: John Jay ()
Date: June 12, 2015 07:06PM

I am full agreement with the credit union route. Carmax is not a bad place to go. Good luck man!!

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:10PM

First off. Grow a pair. Tell them what you'll pay and if they agree, buy the car.

If not, move on to the next dealer. It's not like there's only two or three in this state.

Or you can go to CarMax and buy some piece of shit that someone ragged out before they sold it so it wouldn't get repossessed by the bank. Or was bought at auction from some dealer in Texas where it's been underwater for a couple of weeks.

I absolutely hate negotiating over a car purchase so I don't. If they turn down a reasonable offer, they don't want to sell a car. It's really that simple. Why force them to do something they don't want to?

Posted by: 180 mph ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:17PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Or you can go to CarMax and buy some piece of shit
> that someone ragged out before they sold it so it
> wouldn't get repossessed by the bank. Or was
> bought at auction from some dealer in Texas where
> it's been underwater for a couple of weeks.
>
>

Where do you get your information you fucktard?

Ive purchased two vehicles from Carmax at Dulles, a 2008 370Z and a 2011 Corvette C6. Both were very low mileage (the Z had 11K on the clock) and neither had been ragged out or underwater. You sound like a broke and bitter Prius owner.

Posted by: Bing McGhetto ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:32PM

The blue book on cars in Fairfax is overpriced like everything else. Get pre-approved first from a credit union and bring the dealer a cash offer, that way they don't fuck you around on finance negotiations. Don't buy a car that has spent much winter time east of DC (salt belt). Carmax is ok and has the best selection of newer models but you will certainly pay full retail there.

Date: June 12, 2015 08:42PM

180 mph Wrote:
> Vexxxed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > Or you can go to CarMax and buy some piece of
> shit
> > that someone ragged out before they sold it so
> it
> > wouldn't get repossessed by the bank. Or was
> > bought at auction from some dealer in Texas
> where
> > it's been underwater for a couple of weeks.
> >
> >
>
> Where do you get your information you fucktard?
>
> Ive purchased two vehicles from Carmax at Dulles,
> a 2008 370Z and a 2011 Corvette C6. Both were very
> low mileage (the Z had 11K on the clock) and
> neither had been ragged out or underwater. You
> sound like a broke and bitter Prius owner.

Oh, you know.........just from PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE dumbshit.

Why so mad skippy? Couldn't afford a real car dealership?

Guaranteed, you overpaid for both of them.

Posted by: truecar ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:49PM

Or, just go to truecar and get the price others have paid. Take that print-out to the dealership and tell them you won't pay a penny more. I'm not sure about credit union interest rates. I got my $43k Infiniti for $36k and financed at 1.9%. Can a credit union match that rate?

Date: June 12, 2015 08:57PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
>
> Oh, you know.........just from PEOPLE THAT WORK
> THERE dumbshit.
>
> Why so mad skippy? Couldn't afford a real car
> dealership?
>
> Guaranteed, you overpaid for both of them.

Not hardly. I can do online research just like everyone and else and determine a decent price. Im not poor so I don't need to squeeze every nickel out of them I can. And I always pay cash. Cash is king when buying a car. Financing is for suckers and low income people. And I would prefer to pay a little more to get a clean, very low mileage car.

Now go plug in your Prius so you can make to McDonalds for breakfast in the morning.

Date: June 12, 2015 09:20PM

^^^^^^^^^^

So...............how long have you worked at CarMax?

Date: June 12, 2015 09:53PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> So...............how long have you worked at
> CarMax?

That was certainly a predictable response.

I'll play along. How long have you worked at Walmart?

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:27PM

Que? Wrote:
> Does it really need to make you feel like killing
> yourself?
>
> Between the salespeople whose names are entirely
> made up of vowels, to the BS, to the run-around,
> the lies, the ignorance...Holy shit. It's never
> been a pleasant experience but this time around
> seems to be particularly terrible.
>
> I'm trying to get a deal, in writing, before
> walking into a dealership. Even that is proving
> to be nearly impossible as I've got a $5k range in
> quotes and the guys at the high end can't fathom
> some of the quotes on the low end.
>
> Does anyone have a good new Honda or used dealer
> that doesn't have their head up their ass?

I've bought my last 5 cars over the internet going back to 2003. The ONLY time I have to speak with a salesman? Is ONE time per purchase...and that's to do a test drive.

Once you've test driven and found the car you like? Stop. Just stop right there. Hand the keys back to the salesperson, take their business card as a courtesy, throw it in the trash after you step outside...and then return home.

Unless you are buying something unique like a Dodge Hellcat or Shelby Cobra or Corvette Z06...think of the transaction like you would a refrigerator with 4 tires. A typical, high-volume produced, consumer vehicle is a commodity and should be purchased dispassionately.

Make copious notes of the year, make, model, trim, options and accessories you want. Contact the three closest dealers to you via email. The online contact form will likely require your phone number...give them a fake one. And setup a burner email account which you will ONLY use for this vehicle transaction. Politely reject or rudely ignore ANY and ALL requests to come in to the dealership. You can negotiate the same price at home on the PC with your pants around your ankles as you can in the dealership.

Once you have contacted three dealers...the fun begins. Play the three dealers off of each other and work the price down as low as you can. Assuming you are checking email regularly, this will take between 3-5 days. If you can't wait that long, you'll likely pay more for the car. Make sure you are negotiating the OUT THE DOOR price with ALL of the bullshit add on charges!

It's up to you on financing. I've NEVER had a dealer beat my bank's rate but, I'm always willing to let them try just on the off chance. Once you've set the price and established financing...the only thing left is insurance. If you already have insurance, you can just email the dealership your proof of insurance. If you don't have insurance, get insurance and then email in the proof.

ANY and ALL paperwork that needs to be signed with the dealership? Have them email it to you. Print it out, take your time, read it through and when you're ready...sign, scan and email it back to them. Once all of the paperwork has been signed, contact your bank and make the necessary financial arrangements. Once that's squared away, instruct your bank (likely with more paperwork) to wire the money to the dealership and send you a receipt upon transmission.

Once you have receipt of the wire transfer and you've sent in all of the paperwork to the dealer...you are ready to take delivery of your vehicle. Most people like to go in and pick up the car. Me, again...I say fuck all that. It's just another opportunity for them to interact with you and try and sell you a bunch of dealership add-on crap that you don't need. I've had all of my cars delivered to my driveway from as far away as 50 miles at no additional charge.

The car gets dropped off in my driveway. I meet the delivery driver...who is not an employee of the dealership but a contractor so, he's not going to waste my time like a salesman would because he has other deliveries to make. I inspect the car visually, accept the keys...and sign the delivery paperwork. Done. And I only met face to face with a salesperson once.

Posted by: Home D Beater Owner ()
Date: June 13, 2015 09:48AM

truecar Wrote:
> Or, just go to truecar and get the price others
> have paid. Take that print-out to the dealership
> and tell them you won't pay a penny more. I'm not
> sure about credit union interest rates. I got my
> $43k Infiniti for $36k and financed at 1.9%. Can a
> credit union match that rate?

Navy Fed 1.49% today on their website.. You probably could have gotten that Nissan for less, like saying you have check for $34k..

Enjoy the Ride!

Posted by: fish wheel jake ()
Date: June 13, 2015 12:00PM

That Infinity will cost 43k overall when the transmission goes out later on.

Posted by: agree with vexxed ()
Date: June 13, 2015 12:16PM

Carmax has some decent cars, but a lot of them are past rental cars that have been used and abused. You can get better deals elsewhere. I have seen some cars with quite a few issues that passed their 100000 point inspection that you pay a markup for.

Personally I like craigslist from a private owner, you can get a much better deal. You have to know a little about cars though and do a thorough inspection yourself.

If you're buying new go through truecar, USAA or most credit unions have buying services.

Date: June 13, 2015 04:40PM

180 mph Wrote:
> Vexxxed Wrote:
> -----
> > ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > So...............how long have you worked at
> > CarMax?
>
> That was certainly a predictable response.
>
> I'll play along. How long have you worked at
> Walmart?

That's not playing along, that's avoiding the question. How long have you worked at CarMax?

Look, you may be one of the minority that actually got what you felt was a good deal from them but it is a very small minority.

Where do you think all those "used" cars come from? Do you believe there are that many car collectors that take premium care of their vehicle out there that choose to sell their car to CarMax?

Try selling something to them. Hell, try selling them back your precious Vette. They'll offer you a non-negotiable 55% of Blue Book at best.

I know a guy that bought a pick-up from those clowns. First problem was the huge gouges in the paint down one side of the vehicle that they claimed were not there prior to him test driving the truck. Rule number one: Never buy a car at night or in the rain. He buys it anyway. Engine starts ticking before he gets it home. Not their problem. So he keeps it for a year and takes it back to sell it to them. He pretty much rented the truck from them for $15,000 a year because at the end of the day, all they'd offer him was enough to pay off the loan. I tried to talk him out of it to start with, didn't take much talking to keep him from going back.

Posted by: Blue Book value of Ford Falcon? ()
Date: June 13, 2015 04:48PM

file.php?40,file=120271,filename=ford.jp

Date: June 13, 2015 07:04PM

Blue Book value of Ford Falcon? Wrote:
> src="http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.
> php?40,file=120271,filename=ford.jpg">

Hi eesh. I knew you couldn't just walk away from this place.
Attachments:
111111111.jpg

Posted by: ralphnaderzairedale ()
Date: June 13, 2015 07:20PM

@ Que?

When one buys an automobile from a dealer, the customer is r#ped twice. First by the dealer then by the financial institution. Do your own research.

Have your own cash saved up or borrowed from relatives so you don't need to borrow the bankster's money to buy a depreciating asset. If it's costing you more money than it enables you to earn, it's a liability not an asset.

DON'T buy a new car unless the depreciation hit matters not to you, and you can afford to buy it for YOUR OWN cash. Buy a used car; let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Determine what you NEED which is different than what you want. Don't buy more automobile than you can afford. The purchase price is just the beginning. There is insurance.

If you're a young buck buying a hot car, e.g. a Corvette, your insurer will be the third party r#ping you. Then there's how attractive your vehicle is to thieves, who unless you are James Bond are better at stealing than you are at preventing it. Then there's crashworthiness. Will this big expense in your life allow you to leave an accident with bandaids or daisys on your chest in the funeral home?

The Car Book from the National Auto Safety Council is rational, reliable information by which you can measure what people with a pecuniary interest tell you. About $20 from Amazon.

Don't be in a hurry. Don't wind up paying $25,000 interest etc. to buy an
$18,000 vehicle that you will still owe money on once it becomes undriveable.

Don't bend over and spread for the corporate fascists.

Posted by: ^ agree with everything but... ()
Date: June 13, 2015 07:26PM

+1

Except buying with cash. If you can finance at .05% - 2% which you can with many credit unions, it makes more sense to finance. My money is earning 5% - 12% being invested elsewhere, so I choose to finance.

Posted by: Buy Here Pay Here ()
Date: June 14, 2015 07:47PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
>
>
> Try selling something to them. Hell, try selling
> them back your precious Vette. They'll offer you
> a non-negotiable 55% of Blue Book at best.
>
>

You are a special kind of stupid aren't you?

No car dealer, Carmax, or a side of the road used car crook is going to give you anything more than wholesale to buy your car. Usually less unless it's something he can move quickly. You want to trade it, maybe a little more. But to just walk in and say "how much will you give me for my car" is stupid as hell because they know you must be broke and desperate.

How do you think car lots stay in business you wanker?

Date: June 14, 2015 08:08PM

Buy Here Pay Here Wrote:
> Vexxxed Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > Try selling something to them. Hell, try
> selling
> > them back your precious Vette. They'll offer
> you
> > a non-negotiable 55% of Blue Book at best.
> >
> >
>
> You are a special kind of stupid aren't you?
>
> No car dealer, Carmax, or a side of the road used
> car crook is going to give you anything more than
> wholesale to buy your car. Usually less unless
> it's something he can move quickly. You want to
> trade it, maybe a little more. But to just walk in
> and say "how much will you give me for my car" is
> stupid as hell because they know you must be broke
> and desperate.
>
> How do you think car lots stay in business you
> wanker?

So you agree with me that CarMax was a stupid suggestion for the OP?

Finally, we're getting somewhere.

Well, you're spinning your tires but everyone else is getting somewhere.

Posted by: Driving around in circles ()
Date: June 14, 2015 08:12PM

Ive never bought a car from Carmax, but I know people that have and they got nice cars and were pleased with the transaction. Im sure some get fucked, but that can be said for any car dealer on the planet.

You must be one of the ones who got fucked by Carmax?

Date: June 14, 2015 08:16PM

Driving around in circles Wrote:
> Ive never bought a car from Carmax, but I know
> people that have and they got nice cars and were
> pleased with the transaction. Im sure some get
> fucked, but that can be said for any car dealer on
> the planet.
>
> You must be one of the ones who got fucked by
> Carmax?

Nope, never bought anything from them.

Because I listened to the people that work there about the horror stories they sell there.

In fact, I've never bought a used car from any dealer in my life. Why would anyone want to buy someone else's problems?

Posted by: Buy Here Pay Here ()
Date: June 14, 2015 08:35PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> In fact, I've never bought a used car from any
> dealer in my life. Why would anyone want to buy
> someone else's problems?

I've bought several Certified Used Toyotas with 100,000 mile warranties still in force. Never had a problem yet.

Somebody must have fucked you good LOL

Don't tell me. You buy only new and pay the window sticker price? Why didn't you just say you're a baller.

Date: June 14, 2015 09:33PM

Buy Here Pay Here Wrote:
> Don't tell me. You buy only new and pay the window
> sticker price? Why didn't you just say you're a
> baller.

Oh hell no. I always pay 20% over list. I'm a big tipper.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: June 15, 2015 09:32AM

car dealers make money three ways..minimum

Buy your car(trade-in) at wholesale and resell
Finacing kickbacks
selling you a new car and making as much profit as possible

Now a days, cash is not as king as it once was with rates below 2% for most anything. You are taking money out of the dealers pockets by paying cash so its doesn't motivate them as much when you come in with a wad of bills.

I've purchased one new car over the last 30 years, and it was a work truck.

everything else has been purchased used either through a dealer or private sale.

shopping for a used car is a bit more work as comparing what you like is often very different between the locations. Milage, color, options, ect.. no two used cars are identical so you need to weigh the pros-cons for each vehicle.

The keyis to narrow down what you want, and how much you are willing to pay. No point to doing a shearch for 3-4 different models/trim. Grow a set, Pick one and start the search

I've used Cars.com for my research and don't be afraid to look 100+ miles away. there are deals to be had, and airfare is cheap

If its a newer car 1-3 years buy from the snow areas just have them put the car up on a lift so you can look for rust...

but yeah. car buying sucks... its a process that once you find what you want. it should only take about an hour to complete a purchase...but for some reason it drags on and on...

Posted by: zoomzoom ()
Date: June 15, 2015 10:26AM

Posted by: Yw3eb ()
Date: June 15, 2015 06:34PM

> I've bought several Certified Used Toyotas with 100,000 mile warranties still in > force. Never had a problem yet

sure buy one but several?

let's face facts: you funded foreigners and now one is in your down in a mc'mansions driving a luxury foreign car - probably yours

--------------------

that is clearly "the score"

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:24PM

>I've bought my last 5 cars over the internet going back to 2003.

Que?, read every word of the above post, then read it again. He is correct in every detail, right down to the number of dealers you should face-off against each other. Oh, and when the dealers ask which dealership is offering you the price they need to beat DON'T FUCKING TELL THEM. If they want to sell a car today, they'll meet your price.

Oh and dealer financing in my experience comes with a bunch of bullshit they may or may not tell you about before you agree, fees and whatnot. I'd ride a scooter to work before I got financing through a dealership. I mean some may be on the up-and-up but I haven't met that guy ever, and I've met many other assholes who tried to sneak things past me, even after they'd said 'this is the final price, all in'.

A mixed review of CarMax from me. They have a decent selection and the prices are a tad high, but if you have a certain car in mind they'll probably find it. I will say I'm not sure how much I believe their car histories. I ran my fingers along the seams between panels (good way to find suspicious differences in width) and found two I'm pretty sure had been back-ended, hard. Not sure the frame'd been bent but I wouldn't buy a car with that history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 09:08PM by abelard.

Posted by: vY7dF ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:41PM

Somewhat related, this is why dealerships are scared of TESLA.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:10PM

vY7dF Wrote:
> Somewhat related, this is why the auto industry is
> scared of TESLA.

Fixed it for you...

It's not even so much about their cars being electric...no fossil fuels...lower emissions...blah, blah, blah...

It's about Elon Musk deciding he thinks there's a better way to sell cars and state governments that are trying and failing to prevent him from trying out his ideas. Why not let the market decide, America? The SAME WAY we let the market decide in favor of Henry Ford when he started out and not in favor of the hundreds upon hundreds of car manufacturers who have come and gone in the last 100 years or so. What are you afraid of auto industry? This is just little old Elon Musk...he's only doing $3.1M annually in revenue. He only offers 3 cars.

Oh right...governments have taken millions of dollars from the N.A.D.A. to keep laws and legislation on the books that would indirectly prevent Musk from letting the market fairly decide his company's fate. You're all afraid...he might be right and then your bullshit business model comes crashing down.

Oh noes...what the fuck WILL you do? I know. Adapt. Stop jamming the same bullshit cars down our throats with complicated electronics and technology we don't need that have made the driving experience secondary. We don't need fucking Wi-Fi in our cars! We're either driving or riding and enjoying the experience in and of itself. Fight Musk and HIS technology by restoring the driving experience. The AMERICAN driving experience.

Posted by: Enter code: ()
Date: June 15, 2015 09:54PM

Huh??? Wrote:
> vY7dF Wrote:
> -----
> > Somewhat related, this is why the auto industry
> is
> > scared of TESLA.
>
> Fixed it for you...
>
> It's not even so much about their cars being
> electric...no fossil fuels...lower
> emissions...blah, blah, blah...
>
> It's about Elon Musk deciding he thinks there's a
> better way to sell cars and state governments that
> are trying and failing to prevent him from trying
> out his ideas. Why not let the market decide,
> America? The SAME WAY we let the market decide in
> favor of Henry Ford when he started out and not in
> favor of the hundreds upon hundreds of car
> manufacturers who have come and gone in the last
> 100 years or so. What are you afraid of auto
> industry? This is just little old Elon Musk...he's
> only doing $3.1M annually in revenue. He only
> offers 3 cars.
>
> Oh right...governments have taken millions of
> dollars from the N.A.D.A. to keep laws and
> legislation on the books that would indirectly
> prevent Musk from letting the market fairly decide
> his company's fate. You're all afraid...he might
> be right and then your bullshit business model
> comes crashing down.
>
> Oh noes...what the fuck WILL you do? I know.
> Adapt. Stop jamming the same bullshit cars down
> our throats with complicated electronics and
> technology we don't need that have made the
> driving experience secondary. We don't need
> fucking Wi-Fi in our cars! We're either driving or
> riding and enjoying the experience in and of
> itself. Fight Musk and HIS technology by restoring
> the driving experience. The AMERICAN driving
> experience.

Please go fuck yourself.

The only people buying those overpriced plug in cars are 1%'ers.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: June 15, 2015 10:32PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> First off. Grow a pair. Tell them what you'll
> pay and if they agree, buy the car.
>
> If not, move on to the next dealer. It's not like
> there's only two or three in this state.
>
> Or you can go to CarMax and buy some piece of shit
> that someone ragged out before they sold it so it
> wouldn't get repossessed by the bank. Or was
> bought at auction from some dealer in Texas where
> it's been underwater for a couple of weeks.
>
> I absolutely hate negotiating over a car purchase
> so I don't. If they turn down a reasonable offer,
> they don't want to sell a car. It's really that
> simple. Why force them to do something they don't
> want to?

This. Last time I bought a new truck, I decided what I wanted and how much I was going to pay. Told them my out the door price. Was it on the lower end? Yes. But it was a fair price for both of us. It was a pain in the ass because they were trying to get me to pay more, but once they realized I was willing to walk away they gave up.

Posted by: mechanics can kiss their jobs by ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:47AM

Huh??? Wrote:
> vY7dF Wrote:
> -----
> > Somewhat related, this is why the auto industry
> is
> > scared of TESLA.
>
> Fixed it for you...
>
> It's not even so much about their cars being
> electric...no fossil fuels...lower
> emissions...blah, blah, blah...
>
> It's about Elon Musk deciding he thinks there's a
> better way to sell cars and state governments that
> are trying and failing to prevent him from trying
> out his ideas. Why not let the market decide,
> America? The SAME WAY we let the market decide in
> favor of Henry Ford when he started out and not in
> favor of the hundreds upon hundreds of car
> manufacturers who have come and gone in the last
> 100 years or so. What are you afraid of auto
> industry? This is just little old Elon Musk...he's
> only doing $3.1M annually in revenue. He only
> offers 3 cars.
>
> Oh right...governments have taken millions of
> dollars from the N.A.D.A. to keep laws and
> legislation on the books that would indirectly
> prevent Musk from letting the market fairly decide
> his company's fate. You're all afraid...he might
> be right and then your bullshit business model
> comes crashing down.
>
> Oh noes...what the fuck WILL you do? I know.
> Adapt. Stop jamming the same bullshit cars down
> our throats with complicated electronics and
> technology we don't need that have made the
> driving experience secondary. We don't need
> fucking Wi-Fi in our cars! We're either driving or
> riding and enjoying the experience in and of
> itself. Fight Musk and HIS technology by restoring
> the driving experience. The AMERICAN driving
> experience.

Teslas are very expensive cars. Their new model will be interesting at 35k. Maintenance should not be a high cost thing. The car only has batteries, brakes and two electric motors. No exhaust, emissions, motor oil, water pump etc. basically it has room for a trunk in the front and the back and you sit on the battery.

You wont save money with one of the current models and probably not with the new one either but if the industry moves this way auto parts and mechanics can kiss their jobs bye bye...

PS on buying a car if you can hold out a couple of years prices should come down by a lot. We are still seeing record high used car prices thanks to the Bush collapse of 08 and Obummers cash for clunkers debacle.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.