HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obama's criticism of Elizabeth Warren is sexist
Posted by: NOW ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:07PM

National Organization for Women (NOW) president Terry O'Neill on Wednesday called President Obama's critique of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) sexist.

O'Neill told The Hill she took issue with Obama calling Warren by her first name during an interview with Yahoo News published Saturday.

"Yes, I think it is sexist," O'Neill said. "I think the president was trying to build up his own trustworthiness on this issue by convincing us that Senator Warren's concerns are not to be taken seriously. But he did it in a sexist way."

Obama told Yahoo that Warren was opposing his trade agenda to further her own political brand.

“The truth of the matter is that Elizabeth is, you know, a politician like everybody else. And you know, she’s got a voice that she wants to get out there. And I understand that,” Obama told Yahoo.

O'Neill said Obama's "clear subtext is that the little lady just doesn't know what she's talking about."

"I think it was disrespectful," O'Neill said.

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) suggested Obama's remarks were sexist earlier Tuesday, according to reports.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama's criticism of Elizabeth Warren is sexist
Posted by: Sherrod ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:08PM

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) on Tuesday suggested that some of President Obama’s remarks criticizing Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) were sexist.

Obama and Warren have been in a public fight over the president’s trade agenda, which Warren opposes.

Brown said Obama had spoken disrespectfully of Warren and suggested the president wouldn’t have made the same comments about a male senator.
He specifically criticized Obama for publicly referring to Warren as “Elizabeth” when responding to her comments.

“I think the president was disrespectful to her by the way he did that,” Brown told reporters, according to Politico. “I think that the president has made this more personal than he needed to.

“I know he disagrees. When he said that a number of us — not just Sen. Warren — but don’t know what we’re talking about, we’re fighting the last war, a number of those phrases he used, I assume he wished he hadn’t said them because he shouldn’t have said them," Brown added, according to the newspaper.

“I’m not going to get into more details. I think referring to her as first name, when he might not have done that for a male senator, perhaps? I’ve said enough,” Brown said.

In an interview with Yahoo News published over the weekend, Obama took a sharp tone, saying that Warren was “absolutely wrong” about his proposed trade deals.

He also suggested that Warren was opposing his trade agenda because she is seeking to build her own political brand.

“The truth of the matter is that Elizabeth is, you know, a politician like everybody else. And you know, she’s got a voice that she wants to get out there. And I understand that,” Obama told Yahoo.

Obama suffered a defeat on the Senate floor Tuesday when the chamber voted against taking up fast-track trade legislation.

Re: Obama's criticism of Elizabeth Warren is sexist
Posted by: you know it is sexist ()
Date: May 13, 2015 11:39PM

Crickets from the Libs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.