HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
So, for $40,000 would you rather have a 2015 VW Golf-R (AWD) or a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport w/11,000 miles on it?
Posted by: NOVA.Car.Buyer ()
Date: March 06, 2015 04:40PM

This would be my weekend car. My dd is an S-Class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So, for $40,000 would you rather have a 2015 VW Golf-R (AWD) or a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport w/11,000 miles on it?
Posted by: kisses ()
Date: March 06, 2015 04:44PM

thats like asking would you rather eat a hamburger or a pile of dog shit

Re: So, for $40,000 would you rather have a 2015 VW Golf-R (AWD) or a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport w/11,000 miles on it?
Posted by: dirty joe ()
Date: March 06, 2015 04:47PM

Corvette, VW's are slow and heavy and kind of boring

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: March 06, 2015 04:54PM

40 Gs for a weekend car and you're thinking about a gulf? Why not something fun? I have an antique convertible that cost way less than 40 bills, actually kinda dangerous compared to my other cars but lots of fun. The cool thing is that it costs basically nothing to insure as I swore I'd only drive it to shows and 'incidentally', whatever that means. I take it to mean 'whenever it's nice and warm out'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 04:54PM by abelard.

Posted by: kisses ()
Date: March 06, 2015 05:16PM

VWs are some of the worst cars out there

Posted by: Straight Cash Homey! ()
Date: March 06, 2015 05:30PM

I'll just take the cash, thank you. Preferably small denomination, unmarked non-sequential bills.

Posted by: One Percenter ()
Date: March 06, 2015 05:31PM

Sort of a stupid either or situation.
For $40K you've have a lot more options than a POS Corvette and a VW Golf AWD.

Why even get another car? Why not rent a love nest and keep a young mistress for a year? Or take an equity stake in a business that will provide an exponential ROI?

Posted by: Old Yellen ()
Date: March 06, 2015 05:36PM

Buy stawhks!

Posted by: NOVA.Car.Buyer ()
Date: March 06, 2015 05:43PM

For those of you with alternatives...please feel free to share.

Posted by: Get a Chevy Impala ()
Date: March 06, 2015 06:44PM

Get a Chevy Impala

Road Test2LTZ V6
With its 2014 redesign, the Chevrolet Impala has been dramatically transformed from a woefully uncompetitive and outdated model -- one that was to be avoided even as a free upgrade at the rental-car counter -- into a thoroughly modern and remarkably enjoyable car. This phoenixlike rise has propelled it from the bottom of our large-sedan ratings to being one of the top-scoring cars we've tested. And in the process, it's now reclaimed a stature befitting such a classic nameplate.

While the previous Impala was built on GM's most ancient platform, this revamped model is now based on the same platform as the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XTS. And there are lots of high points here. The new Impala rides like a luxury sedan, with a cushy and controlled demeanor, while delivering surprisingly agile handling, capable acceleration, and excellent braking.

Inside, the spacious, quiet cabin sets a new standard for Chevrolet fit and finish, with generally high-quality materials and trim. The backseat is roomy and sumptuous. The trunk is huge. And the controls are refreshingly intuitive and easy to use, without resorting to any newfangled and over-complicated interfaces.

OK, while the 22 mpg overall we measured with the 3.6-liter V6 and six-speed automatic transmission is competitive, it's not the best in its class. And the rear visibility is rather limited, which is particularly disturbing when backing up in a crowded parking lot.

Overall, the Impala is now a world-class sedan that outscores luxury-brand sedans costing $20,000 more.

Changes for 2015 include a standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot -- with three month's of complimentary data. Also, a compressed natural gas (CNG) version is also new.

Why buy one:

Very roomy interior with a great rear seat and huge trunk
Comfortable cruiser, with a plush ride and a very quiet cabin
Surprisingly agile handling
Intuitive controls
Lots of car (with lots of features) for the money
Readily available and attractively priced advanced electronic safety features
Why not buy one:
Rear visibility is limited
MyLink is mostly simple, but not all of its fancy tricks work well
Viable alternatives:
Chrysler 300
Toyota Avalon
Hyundai Azera
Kia Cadenza
Best version/options to get:

Attractively priced, the LT trim provides plenty of features. And the optional $890 Advanced Safety Package is a steal, giving you forward-collision and lane-departure warnings, blind-spot detection, and a cross-traffic alert system for not much money. Given the lousy rear visibility, we'd consider this package a must-have.

The 2LT with the Convenience, Advanced Safety, and Premium Seating packages is a lot of car for $33,500. Things get tricky if you want to add a sunroof or navigation system, however. You can't get both on an LT, and either requires a $1,140 wheel-and-stereo package.

If you're going to load up your Impala, go straight to the top-trim LTZ model. It's still a good value, and lets you get both a sunroof and navigation. It also includes the 19-inch tires that delivered impressive performance on our test car. Equipping a Toyota Avalon to match the features in our loaded $39,110 Impala LTZ would cost about $4,000 more.

The LTZ comes standard with HID headlights, leather, and the Advanced Safety Package. The $1,035 LTZ Comfort and Convenience Package adds a lot of nice content, including seat memory, ventilated front seats, and power adjustment for the steering wheel.

Three engine choices are available, but the top 3.6-liter V6 suits the car best. The base 2.5-liter four-cylinder (which gets a new stop/start technology for 2015) is impressively refined and supplies adequate acceleration but lacks the eager grunt of the V6. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with GM's light-hybrid eAssist system was also available, but it was dropped after 2014. Based on our experience with our as-equipped Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Malibu, we'd skip the eAssist in the Impala. It consumes some trunk space and doesn't deliver enough power for this big sedan. Moreover, the likely fuel economy advantage isn't on par with other hybrids.

Posted by: MTtwc ()
Date: March 06, 2015 06:44PM

$40,000 of who's money ?

money from willing people who payed for a product out of private (not gov pay) and did not try to return it ?

or $40,000 from "gov pay" (voted to give yourself other peoples money even if the price was their deaths)

---------------------
would rather purchase a small business guaranteed to make at least some money in bad or good times - so that i am not stalking denizes using taxmoney to pay the bill

which is what you should consider doing

not pizza - you make local italians angry if you try edging in on that !

"a willing buyer , a willing seller"

it's not only the law in the USA. i insist.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: March 07, 2015 10:31AM

How about this:

http://www.classicmotorsdc.com/1989-Ferrari-Mondial/Used-Convertible/NorthBethesda-MD/980/4467145/Craigslist/18542978/Details.aspx

Completely impractical and probably cost a mint for regular service, but if you've got 40 k to work with I'm guessing you won't sweat it.

You could go the other way and get a super-nice 4x4 (I have some recommendations) but there isn't much to do with one in northern Virginia, not a real dirt truck. Were money no object, I'd seriously consider a used Range Rover. Nice ride.

Posted by: 2 bad optionss` ()
Date: March 07, 2015 10:49AM

Buy a e90 N/A V8 M3 with a manual tranny.

Will run you $30 - $35k.

It's one of the most reliable BMWs. No turbos and the problems that come along with them. If well maintained it will last 200k+ miles with no problem. Much more fun and reliable than a Golf-R

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 07, 2015 11:48AM

What normal person is going to let a bunch of strangers help him pick out his $40,0000 toy? He might as well have written "I have $40K to blow. Suck on it." On the remote chance this isn't a total BS post, then OP go out and test drive both. Then read up on both and go back for another round of test drives. Finally if it was me I would talk with mechanics about what I am getting into.

Posted by: fagg bag ()
Date: March 07, 2015 12:06PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Finally if it was me I
> would talk with mechanics about what I am getting
> into.

Only a limp wrist faggot has to consult with a mechanic about what kind of car he should buy.

- Shade tree mechanic

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 08, 2015 12:05AM

fagg bag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Only a limp wrist faggot has to consult with a
> mechanic about what kind of car he should buy.
>
>
>
> - Shade tree mechanic

I don't claim to know everything, which is why I consult with those better informed than me. I've worked on maybe 20 cars in my life and three trucks. Typical mechanic does that in a couple of days. If there is some quirk about a model I am considering,I'd rather find out from a mechanic before hand than after I've bought the problem.

Posted by: golfman ()
Date: March 08, 2015 12:10PM

Unless you cant get your dick up anymore, get the golf. Vetts are for white trash compensating for something.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.