HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
MLB Umpire comes out
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: December 02, 2014 01:44PM

MLB umpire Dale Scott says he is gay

Major League Baseball, unlike the NFL and NBA, is still waiting for its first active player to acknowledge he is gay.

Dale Scott is only an umpire, but he has crossed that threshold, and says he has been heartened by what he describes as an environment of acceptance.

Scott, a major league umpire for the past 29 years, quietly acknowledged he is gay by submitting a photo of himself and his longtime partner to accompany a November interview with Referee Magazine.

His story was amplified on Tuesday, when Outsports.com published an interview with Scott, who said his sexual orientation has long been acknowledged in umpiring and baseball circles.

USA TODAY

A no-out situation: Is MLB ahead of gay rights issue?

"I realized that it could open a Pandora's Box," Scott said of submitting a photo of he and Michael Rausch on a trip to Australia for the major league opener this past March. "But this is not a surprise to Major League Baseball, the people I work for. It's not a surprise to the umpire staff. Until Mike and I got married last November, he was my same-sex domestic partner and had his own MLB I.D. and was on my insurance policy.

"This is not going to be some huge flashing news to (MLB), but I also didn't want to be making some coming out story, some banner headline, because that's not how I operate. It's not a shock to MLB management because they're well aware of my situation and it's not a shock to the umpire staff. If it would have been, I don't think I would have done it."

Scott has been a crew chief for 12 years, has worked three World Series and was on the crew that worked the Dodgers-Cardinals National League Division Series. He feels going public won't be a surprise to most in the game.

"The first 10 years of my major league umpire career, I would have been horrified if a story had come out that I was gay," he told Outsports. "But guys unprovoked started to approach me and say, 'I just want you to know that I would walk on the field with you any day, you're a great guy, a great umpire and I couldn't care less about your personal life.'

"Basically what they were saying without me provoking it was 'I know and I don't care.' That meant a lot to me because it surprised me since I had not brought it up. At first I was uncomfortable because I had spent my whole life hiding that fact from people even though I wasn't hiding it from myself or my friends."

MLB has been proactive in aiming to create an environment of acceptance for a gay player. In July, it appointed Billy Bean, who came out after his playing career, as its first ambassador of inclusion. Bean and former Dodgers player Glenn Burke acknowledged their sexuality after their playing careers.

"I wish that our game had someone in place to whom Billy and Glenn could have turned when they played; a friend, listener, a source of support," commissioner Bud Selig said when Bean's role was announced."That's why I am so delighted to make this announcement today."

-http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/12/02/mlb-umpire-dale-scott-gay/19781815/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MLB Umpire comes out
Posted by: hGVMP ()
Date: December 02, 2014 01:49PM

Who cares? His sexuality is his business, not mine.

Date: December 02, 2014 01:54PM

hGVMP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares? His sexuality is his business, not
> mine.

His business is being an umpire for the mlb.

Posted by: Gay for a Day ()
Date: December 02, 2014 02:04PM

With each "outing" in a major cultural organization the American people will care less and less until absolutely annoyed by advocates of the homosexual agenda who find they have less and less to stand for now that they're essentially mainstreamed.

Date: December 02, 2014 02:27PM

Gay for a Day Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With each "outing" in a major cultural
> organization the American people will care less
> and less until absolutely annoyed by advocates of
> the homosexual agenda who find they have less and
> less to stand for now that they're essentially
> mainstreamed.

Kind of like the democrats war on woman.

Posted by: hunker down ()
Date: December 02, 2014 02:33PM

When he's hunkered over the catcher, is he thinking of catching and pitching? Or is he thinking of "catching" and "pitching"? He's like "Lucroy, you sure do smell good, and you got some purty lips too."

Posted by: FOXE News ()
Date: December 02, 2014 03:11PM

I reveal this news so i can come out of the closet. Yes, I sucked Eesh's cock. It was delicious. All veiny and the cream was pure necter.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: December 02, 2014 03:12PM

Gay umpire is a bigger hero to Obama than fallen cops and soldiers for sure.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.