HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I don't want to buy my car through a dealership, I want to buy it direct from the factory
Posted by: Tesla ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:07PM

Tesla has a better business model and should be allowed to use it.

Just because dealerships are inferior, they cannot rig the laws to protect themselves against superior business models like Tesla.

NEVER buy from a dealership again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I don't want to buy my car through a dealership, I want to buy it direct from the factory
Posted by: Well, You Can't ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:10PM

Tesla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tesla has a better business model and should be
> allowed to use it.

But it can't.

Tough titty.

Re: I don't want to buy my car through a dealership, I want to buy it direct from the factory
Posted by: Fuck republicans and Fuck NJ ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:12PM

Maybe the dealership lobby shouldn't be allowed to buy-off politicians to rig laws in their favor.

Republicans will lose on this, like they always do.

Tesla is what true free-market capitalism looks like.

Posted by: kev ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:44PM

Dealerships are the result of free market capitalism. In a nutshell, car companies decided they didn't want to be in the direct sell business, they wanted to be in the production business. Dealerships are opened to deal with selling the cars, in a way, with they're own little micro-economy (driven by sales and ability to sell close to sticker price). This was a natural, business, evolution.

Tesla only wants to change things (or re-invent the wheel) because they don't sell too many cars. IF, in the next year, they were able to sell the same number of cars that the big boys sell, then they couldn't becuase of the capital to open dealerships, hire and train people, etc...

I'm not sure I would want to buy direct from dealer who says "this is the price, sorry, no negotiating". Maybe it would be better in some ways.

But don't feel sorry for Tesla. They'll be fine.

Date: March 18, 2014 05:45PM

Edit...meant to say "...buy direct from MANUFACTURER who says..."

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:51PM

Well another instance of a big government Conservative muscling Tesla out of New Jersey by the use of force.

Not a peep from so called free market capitalists. Where are the principled Fox News analysts? Oh thats right. If they don't report it, it didn't happen.

Posted by: Car.Dude ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:53PM

I haven't negotiated in person on a car in 10 years and I've bought 3 cars in this time.

I go in and do my test drives and give them a bad phone number and no email address. Yes, they have to make a copy of my driver's license and insurance info but, essentially all they get from me that's accurate is my name and home address. I get some snail mail a few days later full of form letters but, it just goes in the trash.

Once I've settled on a car and its options, I contact all of the dealerships within about 40 miles of where I live with my order. I use a newly created email address which I only use for that vehicle purchase and then abandon it upon completion of the transaction.

I play all of the dealers off one another on price until I've gotten the price down as low as they can truly go. Sometimes this takes 3 emails, sometimes it takes 30 but typically I have a car that's functional while all of this is happening so, I'm in no rush.

Once the terms are in place, they send me the contract. I review the details at my convenience always catching 2 or 3 things that they've tried to slip by me. I then get the final sales contract emailed to me, I review that, sign and return it keeping a copy for myself. I email my bank and process the necessary paperwork on the loan I was already approved for before I ever started shopping for a new car. I instruct my bank to wire my down payment in and shortly thereafter it arrives along with their check for the balance. 2-3 days after that, there's a knock on my door at a date and time of my convenience and a man from the dealership (who typically doesn't speak English) holding a set of keys and the car I purchased in the driveway. I take 10-15 minutes to look over the car, sign the final papers and take delivery.

The idea of burning up my evenings and/or weekends being made to sit at a dealership is unthinkable. I suppose if I had just totaled a car or sustained some major mechanical breakdown and I needed a car more quickly, I'd have to go in and do the song and dance but, until then...I'm doing everything via email, thanks.

Posted by: Free Market Capitalism for Tesla ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:53PM

Just because some car producers decided they wanted to go the dealership route 80 years ago, Tesla should be allowed to try something different.

This is America after all.

Posted by: Good Vibrations ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:56PM

"Tesla is what true free-market capitalism looks like."

Hate to burst your bubble, but nothing could be further from the truth. Due to highly preferential treatment from the US and State governments, and significant underwriting from Taxpayers, Tesla sells their products at a price below their cost to produce, and primarily wealthy consumers enjoy the benefits of an innovative niche product. Tesla's accounting "profits" are based on their sale of zero-emmission credits to other manufacturers - they are essentially the revenue collector for a tax, that ultimately is passed along to the consumers of non-Tesla vehicles.

Then again, maybe that's the new definition of a "superior" business model ... use regulation, taxation, and market ignorance to get the majority of the taxpayers to underwrite the costs for products and services that they will likely never derive benefits from.

Posted by: future buyer ()
Date: March 18, 2014 06:19PM

I just hope the location in Tysons is ready in a year when I'm ready with my full down payment. (<20%)

Posted by: future buyer ()
Date: March 18, 2014 06:20PM

Dammit, I meant greater!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted by: gomez ()
Date: March 18, 2014 06:24PM

What would the car salesman do? Guess He'd have to become a pimp or something.

Posted by: wrongg ()
Date: March 18, 2014 06:26PM

Gee, I wonder if a Tesla owner will ever have a problem getting something fixed under warranty. See,Tesla makes the car and then decides if the problem is under warranty or not.

I suppose you could take it to another Tesla dealer and get a second opinion about the repair. While you are there you can check if they have any discounts on the new models!

oh wait,there aren't any other Tesla dealers. Anywhere.

great way to sell a 60k car for 100k. make sure there is no price variance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 06:28PM by wrongg.

Date: March 18, 2014 06:40PM

It doesnt matter what Tesla can get fixed and what it cant. Thats for the consumer to decide not the government.

Date: March 18, 2014 06:41PM

Fuckin big government fascist Conservatives are more than willing to strong arm markets.

Date: March 18, 2014 06:43PM

Not a word from the hypocrites on Fox? Where's all that principle they sound off about every day? They cant show some principle with a single car company?

Date: March 18, 2014 07:01PM

hey dipshit,NJ just said that an entity can't build and sell vehicles in their state. Got your drugs lined up for another ragin' night?

Get a job,Gerry. You need to stop worrying so much about others and take care of your own problems before you head on crash and burn.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:02PM

Also, it is the law of the land in NJ Gerry,you know like the Aca. Loser.

Posted by: Democrites ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:06PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> Not a word from the hypocrites on Fox? Where's all
> that principle they sound off about every day?
> They cant show some principle with a single car
> company?

You're the hypocrite.

Why don't you want to talk about MD? Or NY? Or CO? Or any of the other Dem-led states which have the same restrictions an NJ?

Phony little bitch.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:07PM

We're not the self proclaimed free market principled people like you. The free market solves all the worlds ill's with you people remember.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:08PM

Democrites Wrote:
> Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not a word from the hypocrites on Fox? Where's
> all
> > that principle they sound off about every day?
> > They cant show some principle with a single car
> > company?
>
>
> You're the hypocrite.
>
> Why don't you want to talk about MD? Or NY? Or
> CO? Or any of the other Dem-led states which have
> the same restrictions an NJ?
>
> Phony little bitch.

the only thing republican about NJ is the governor,and he doesn't write the laws. Gerry knows this he is a drug addicted liar.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:09PM

Car.Dude Wrote:
> I haven't negotiated in person on a car in 10
> years and I've bought 3 cars in this time.
>
> I go in and do my test drives and give them a bad
> phone number and no email address. Yes, they have
> to make a copy of my driver's license and
> insurance info but, essentially all they get from
> me that's accurate is my name and home address. I
> get some snail mail a few days later full of form
> letters but, it just goes in the trash.
>
> Once I've settled on a car and its options, I
> contact all of the dealerships within about 40
> miles of where I live with my order. I use a newly
> created email address which I only use for that
> vehicle purchase and then abandon it upon
> completion of the transaction.
>
> I play all of the dealers off one another on price
> until I've gotten the price down as low as they
> can truly go. Sometimes this takes 3 emails,
> sometimes it takes 30 but typically I have a car
> that's functional while all of this is happening
> so, I'm in no rush.
>
> Once the terms are in place, they send me the
> contract. I review the details at my convenience
> always catching 2 or 3 things that they've tried
> to slip by me. I then get the final sales contract
> emailed to me, I review that, sign and return it
> keeping a copy for myself. I email my bank and
> process the necessary paperwork on the loan I was
> already approved for before I ever started
> shopping for a new car. I instruct my bank to wire
> my down payment in and shortly thereafter it
> arrives along with their check for the balance.
> 2-3 days after that, there's a knock on my door at
> a date and time of my convenience and a man from
> the dealership (who typically doesn't speak
> English) holding a set of keys and the car I
> purchased in the driveway. I take 10-15 minutes to
> look over the car, sign the final papers and take
> delivery.
>
> The idea of burning up my evenings and/or weekends
> being made to sit at a dealership is unthinkable.
> I suppose if I had just totaled a car or sustained
> some major mechanical breakdown and I needed a car
> more quickly, I'd have to go in and do the song
> and dance but, until then...I'm doing everything
> via email, thanks.

Hmm. Never heard of a car being delivered to your home. Good tactic....dealers know that the day you go to get your car your so pumped up to drive away in a new car they may be able to pull some BS on you. Plus they don't mind wasting your time.

Guessing they usually say "well thats not how we work, why don't you come in and we'll have you out the door in 15 minutes!". I can imagine them throwing out some line saying they're not allowed to do that.

Posted by: uT6KW ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:10PM

The dealership adds value. They help you buy the car with the right options for you because you, as a consumer, have no idea what you want. If you knew what you wanted you would be able to just buy it.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:11PM

Where is Fox News on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 07:11PM by Gerrymanderer2.

Posted by: Chris Christie is so FAT ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:14PM

Dealerships are for pussies. Be a man and buy direct....oh wait, republicans rigged it so you can't. Big government assholes.

Tesla will win this fight. Conservatives on the wrong side of history once again.

Posted by: Numbledenutz ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:16PM

Tesla has a better business model"

Yeah. They sell carbon credits to butthurt democrat supporters and then ship a few shitty cars.

Democrats love them some car dealers, though, as they send $$$$.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:19PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> We're not the self proclaimed free market
> principled people like you. The free market solves
> all the worlds ill's with you people remember.

But asshole, you are the ones that say it is the law of the land respect it. You are so ignorant you can't even grasp that in your attempt to mock republicans,you show yourself to be a hypocrite.

Fox news is in the other room bogarting your drugs. How will you ever make tou 430 am posts?

Date: March 18, 2014 07:24PM

Your anger only shows that Republicans have no market based principles either. The answer is they are simply corrupt fascists.

Posted by: Chris Christie is FAT and gross ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:24PM

Maybe Chris Christie is just upset that his fat ass can't fit inside one

Posted by: Democrites ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:28PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> We're not the self proclaimed free market
> principled people like you. The free market solves
> all the worlds ill's with you people remember.

NJ has and has had a Dem-controlled legislature. Which is who passed the law. What? You want Christy to use his "pen and his phone" to go around them like Obama? lol And if he did you'd be whining about that.

Christie has stated that he has no objection himself:

"I have no problem with Tesla selling directly to customers, except that it's against the law in New Jersey," he added. "What they were asking for was an exception from the law. I'm not the king. I don't get to grant exceptions to the law."

Now go change your tampon little bitch.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:46PM

Yep another proud Gerry thread where he can grab what is left of his ass and head back to his crack pipe.

see you lonley boy.

Posted by: I only care now ()
Date: March 18, 2014 08:43PM

I am a liberal and I only care about this issue now because I'm gay for Teslas. Over the past 90 years I didn't care because those other car companies aren't green. But now I care because I'm driven only by partisan politics.

Date: March 18, 2014 08:46PM

That fat fuck is the Governor. The buck stops at his desk whether Tesla is allowed to do business in New Jersey or not.

Posted by: Car.Dude ()
Date: March 18, 2014 08:54PM

kev Wrote:
> Car.Dude Wrote:
> -----
> > I haven't negotiated in person on a car in 10
> > years and I've bought 3 cars in this time.
> >
> > I go in and do my test drives and give them a
> bad
> > phone number and no email address. Yes, they
> have
> > to make a copy of my driver's license and
> > insurance info but, essentially all they get
> from
> > me that's accurate is my name and home address.
> I
> > get some snail mail a few days later full of
> form
> > letters but, it just goes in the trash.
> >
> > Once I've settled on a car and its options, I
> > contact all of the dealerships within about 40
> > miles of where I live with my order. I use a
> newly
> > created email address which I only use for that
> > vehicle purchase and then abandon it upon
> > completion of the transaction.
> >
> > I play all of the dealers off one another on
> price
> > until I've gotten the price down as low as they
> > can truly go. Sometimes this takes 3 emails,
> > sometimes it takes 30 but typically I have a
> car
> > that's functional while all of this is
> happening
> > so, I'm in no rush.
> >
> > Once the terms are in place, they send me the
> > contract. I review the details at my
> convenience
> > always catching 2 or 3 things that they've
> tried
> > to slip by me. I then get the final sales
> contract
> > emailed to me, I review that, sign and return
> it
> > keeping a copy for myself. I email my bank and
> > process the necessary paperwork on the loan I
> was
> > already approved for before I ever started
> > shopping for a new car. I instruct my bank to
> wire
> > my down payment in and shortly thereafter it
> > arrives along with their check for the balance.
> > 2-3 days after that, there's a knock on my door
> at
> > a date and time of my convenience and a man
> from
> > the dealership (who typically doesn't speak
> > English) holding a set of keys and the car I
> > purchased in the driveway. I take 10-15 minutes
> to
> > look over the car, sign the final papers and
> take
> > delivery.
> >
> > The idea of burning up my evenings and/or
> weekends
> > being made to sit at a dealership is
> unthinkable.
> > I suppose if I had just totaled a car or
> sustained
> > some major mechanical breakdown and I needed a
> car
> > more quickly, I'd have to go in and do the song
> > and dance but, until then...I'm doing
> everything
> > via email, thanks.
>
> Hmm. Never heard of a car being delivered to your
> home. Good tactic....dealers know that the day you
> go to get your car your so pumped up to drive away
> in a new car they may be able to pull some BS on
> you. Plus they don't mind wasting your time.
>
> Guessing they usually say "well thats not how we
> work, why don't you come in and we'll have you out
> the door in 15 minutes!". I can imagine them
> throwing out some line saying they're not allowed
> to do that.

The last car I bought in-person was on a Friday night. I went in at 6pm right after I got off work and they kept me there until 11pm. I would say a total of ONE HOUR was spent talking with someone about my purchase or filling out paperwork. And yeah, I was just way to stoked about getting a new car and they twisted that to suit their purposes. As I was being handed the keys to depart, the salesman said, "Now, I know you signed a bunch of paperwork tonight but our finance manager left at 5pm today and they won't be back until Monday morning. Technically, the sale isn't final until he signs off on everything but, we have no problem letting you take the vehicle home tonight..."

I'll be goddamn if the "business manager" didn't call me up Monday morning at 9am and say, "Yeahhhhhh...just reviewing your paperwork here and we're either going to need you to front more cash for a down payment, extend your payments or increase your monthly payments..."

I just said, "Yeahhhhhh...I'll just bring the car back then and you can ah...refund my down payment and I'll go somewhere else." and then I hung up the phone, drove the car straight back to the dealership and then took ANOTHER 3 hours wrangling my down payment back. Went home, fired up the computer and have dealt via email ever since.

Most dealerships have an "internet sales specialist" now. And typically it's their most competent salesperson...though that's not always a real high bar. No question, it's THEIR preference to have you come in and deal with you in person...but with internet banking being what it is today, the only thing you really need to do in person is the test drive. Hell a buddy of mine bought a car he didn't even test drive at a dealership. His neighbor owned the same car and let him take it out for the day so, he was good to go from there.

Granted...to some people a car is an appliance like a dishwasher or a stove but, I'm an enthusiast and I make it my business to know more about the car than the salesperson does. My go to opening line with most car salesman is, "I'm here to BUY a car...I don't need to be SOLD a car." and that usually cuts through most of their nonsense.

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: March 18, 2014 08:57PM

Fuck republicans and Fuck NJ Wrote:
> Maybe the dealership lobby shouldn't be allowed to
> buy-off politicians to rig laws in their favor.
>
>
> Republicans will lose on this, like they always
> do.
>
>
>
> Tesla is what true free-market capitalism looks
> like.

Exactly.

I never understood why there would be a law which prevents an auto manufacture from seeling their OWN product?!

Posted by: Gerr < FFXU ()
Date: March 18, 2014 09:07PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> That fat fuck is the Governor. The buck stops at
> his desk whether Tesla is allowed to do business
> in New Jersey or not.

Once again Gerry has his dumb shit stuffed back up his ass.

You ever get tired of being pwned here Gerr? Or is it like one of those masochistic things that you fags seem to be into?

Date: March 18, 2014 09:23PM

He is a drug addict on the verge of death for sure.

Posted by: G ()
Date: March 18, 2014 09:27PM

apparently the OP has never heard of factory-owned dealerships.

Posted by: G2 loves some ()
Date: March 18, 2014 09:28PM

stupidity: "Tesla is allowed to do business"

Info for you dumbfuck - they are. Follow the established business, pay the taxes (you like taxes, remember?), and they can sell in NJ. Or anywhere else.

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:04AM

Alexander Smith Wrote:
> Fuck republicans and Fuck NJ Wrote:
> -----
> > Maybe the dealership lobby shouldn't be allowed
> to
> > buy-off politicians to rig laws in their favor.
> >
> >
> > Republicans will lose on this, like they always
> > do.
> >
> >
> >
> > Tesla is what true free-market capitalism looks
> > like.
>
>
> Exactly.
>
> I never understood why there would be a law which
> prevents an auto manufacture from seeling their
> OWN product?!

The reason those laws exist is because the NADA has successfully lobbied for them to protect their business interests. If you remove privately owned dealerships from the equation, you reduce a financial step in the purchase process so Sheehy, Koons, Rosenthal and all the other car dealership family mafias go out of business. Cars would be cheaper but there'd be some people out of work.

And keep in mind Tesla sold 1.2 billion dollars worth of cars while GM sold 155 billion dollars worth of cars. I don't know what they're all afraid of. Tesla is a boutique automobile. Nobody's saying ALL cars should be sold their way, they just want the freedom to sell their cars their way. I have no issue with that...let's let the market decide.

Posted by: Er, not quite ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:08AM

If you remove privately owned dealerships from the equation, you reduce a financial step in the purchase process

No, dumbfuck, you simply shift that to the manufacturer, who then keeps the $$$.
If you think that taking dealerships out of the mix will lower retail prices, I've got some iCrap to dump on your plate at the Apple Store.

Gawd, the stupid here hurts...

Date: March 19, 2014 09:14AM

Nova dude, do you understand you want to eliminate the choice and competition that exists between sheey koons and rosenthal? what you would get would be the option to buy you nissan from nissan at the price nissan dictates you will pay because nissan owns all the distribution points?

Posted by: It's just a consumer product ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:22AM

Sell it in Costco and have a car carrier deliver it to your door.

Posted by: NJ Car Dealer ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:45AM

It's just a consumer product Wrote:
> Sell it in Costco and have a car carrier deliver
> it to your door.

A car cannot be sold in the same way as are toasters.

What does the consumer do when the 'product' breaks down?

Without a dealer network, how are warrantee claims handled? What about recalls? Trade-ins? Who maintains new car inventories, or do all consumers have to wait 6 - 8 weeks for their new car?

Think things through, people!

Posted by: It's MAGIKELECTRIK ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:16AM

so they never break down, evar!!!

Posted by: libs suck ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:38AM

It's not unusual to see the libs on here defending a company owned by an ultra rich elitist who could care less about the poor and middle class. He takes advantages of tax loop holes here in America to profit from you while selling his products to the wealthy in America.

You libs are too stupid.

Posted by: I'm a Democrat ()
Date: March 19, 2014 11:24AM

So when someone points out lower taxes, I drop whatever point I was trying to make!

WAAAARRRRRGARBLE!!!!

Posted by: m7EyW ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:49PM

that's stupid

factories deal in bulk.

factories have agreements with distributors and stores

they even pay say $5,000 to grocery store to get a particular shelf placment

----------------------------
why do you think NYC owns your ass and everything is from CHINA ???

-------------
sure if you get 15 friends and hire a truck but the real factory hang the phone up on your ass

Posted by: Tesla is made in the USA ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:55PM

If you are for banning Tesla, you hate America, you hate competition, and you hate capitalism.

Posted by: I only care now repost ()
Date: March 19, 2014 11:03PM

Tesla is made in the USA Wrote:
> If you are for banning Tesla, you hate America,
> you hate competition, and you hate capitalism.

I am a liberal and I only care about this issue now because I'm gay for Teslas. Over the past 90 years I didn't care because those other car companies aren't green. But now I care because I'm driven only by partisan politics

Posted by: Detroit ()
Date: March 20, 2014 12:09AM

Those "other" companies INVENTED the dealership model!!! None has even requested selling direct to consumers.

Date: March 20, 2014 07:35AM

Detroit Wrote:
> Those "other" companies INVENTED the dealership
> model!!! None has even requested selling direct
> to consumers.

you are quite mistaken. many manufacturers have tried to own all or parts of its distribution system. All have failed.

in addition Tesla agrees they will have to have a dealer network in the future to attain a sustainable sales level.

Posted by: American People are for Tesla ()
Date: March 21, 2014 12:59AM

New Jersey dealerships recently said "Elon Musk just wants all the profit for himself"....forgetting that HE built Tesla and NJ dealerships HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS SUCCESS!!!

Just some comments from true Americans that are against lazy, entitlement loving Car Dealerships looking for a handout:

That's business! Who the hell said the pompous New Jersey car dealer deserves anything?? Just because he has a license to sell cars doesn't mean he is entitled to anything. He needs to work for it. Hell, go out and start your own car company! Then you can make all the profit you want. (good luck with that, by the way).
Unlike · Reply · 162 · 16 hours ago
4 Replies · 2 hrs

We need go cut out the middleman.
Unlike · Reply · 95 · 16 hours ago
2 Replies · 2 hrs

I really hope Musk doesn't give in. He needs to fight these assholes to the bitter end.
Unlike · Reply · 56 · 16 hours ago
3 Replies · 15 mins

What? The guy that invested all his money into Tesla and spent countless of hours working on creating the first successful car maker in 100 years wants all the profits for himself? I'm shocked.
Like · Reply · 44 · 16 hours ago

"He wants all the profits for himself." - No. He wants the consumer to not have to pay an inflated price so that a "dealer" can make a profit.
Like · Reply · 38 · 7 hrs

Stop trying to inflate prices! I should be able to buy directly. Increase competition.
Unlike · Reply · 36 · 16 hours ago

It is his own business, he can do whatever the f** he wants to do!
Like · Reply · 30 · 16 hours ago

Corrupt a-holes here in Jersey. Don't give in Musk, at least you live in the 21st century unlike those corrupt politicians and lowlife car dealers.
Like · Reply · 23 · 16 hours ago

Who likes dealing with car dealers? The car companies made this bed by forcing sales numbers above all else. This is a different model and customers should have the option. I support Musk on this.
Like · Reply · 22 · 15 hours ago · Edited

“The People Who Are Crazy Enough to Think They Can Change the World, Are the Ones Who Do.”
Like · Reply · 22 · 16 hours ago

What VALUE do car dealers add for me as a consumer? ZERO. The auto industry has matured, there is no need for dealers to be protected anymore. Let the profit driven dealers compete in more free markets as they should.
Like · Reply · 20 · 14 hours ago

This is the 21st century, times change and so must the way we do business. If we stick to archaic practices we are going to kill innovation.
Like · Reply · 18 · 16 hours ago

Right a gatekeeper. Teslas should be driven for five miles on their test track and sold on eBay as used cars and then tomorrow they can sell nationwide bypassing the dealer franchise laws. By bypassing the dealers the car price may decrease.
Like · Reply · 18 · 16 hours ago
4 Replies · 2 hrs

This whole ongoing story is like something you'd expect to see on the Onion.

"Company Sells Own Product, Outraged Hopeful Middlemen File Suit."
Like · Reply · 16 · 6 hrs

"Outraged hopeful middleman" you just summed out most of American business.
Like · 4 · 5 hrs

Try all you want NJ and hate all you want. Tesla is world wide. The car sells itself and it's ratings speak for itself. I'm sure Tesla will survive with or without support from NJ
Like · Reply · 16 · 7 hrs

I dont think anyone has enough time on their hands to describe how backwards these dealers and their thinking are.
Like · Reply · 15 · 15 hours ago

You know your society is in the toilet from far too many business regulations when car dealers are trying to educate us about business ethics.
Like · Reply · 39 · 16 hours ago
4 Replies · 3 hrs

Last time I bought a car in NJ they tried to flip the price on me. It was an internet special and when I went it to claim it they did their magic with the numbers then tried to say that the discount applied to them, not me. Whatever that means. Then...See More
Like · Reply · 14 · 7 hrs

let me just say how much I LOVE that you yanked the photocopy of your personal info out of their hand.
Like · 8 · 6 hrs

How can you blame Elon Musk for cutting out the dead weight to sell his cars. He's actually making it cheaper for the consumer and making more money for himself. Capitalism 101. He actually cares about quality for the consumer.
Like · Reply · 14 · 7 hrs

The car industry is just is accustomed to an antiquated business model ans is resisting change. I'm sure many people will just by pass new jersey and purchase their Teslas in NY or Pennsylvania.
Like · Reply · 14 · 16 hours ago

They can all come to California to buy them, then drive them home. I am sure Elon will provide free charging at the Super Charging stations across the country for anyone that does!
Like · Reply · 13 · 6 hrs
3 Replies · 3 hrs

This car dealer is greedy.
Like · Reply · 12 · 16 hours ago

I have a Tesla. It was nice not having to deal with blood thirsty sales men / women!!
Like · Reply · 11 · 5 hrs

Sounds more like the car dealers rested on their laurels and didn't innovate or maintain a good customer experience, and now are pissed because someone else is innovating and wants to ensure a good customer experience. Jealousy rears its ugly head.
Like · Reply · 11 · 7 hrs

If I were Elon... I'd be building showrooms on every major road, just over the Sate line... PA, NY, etc...
Like · Reply · 10 · 6 hrs

Inefficiency is a terrible way to create jobs. Dealerships are dead. They no longer serve a purpose, they make the experience of buying a car miserable. Cronyism won't protect them for very long.
Like · Reply · 10 · 15 hours ago

What's wrong with keeping the profits to yourself? Doing so can help push one's company ahead in the marketplace!
Like · Reply · 10 · 16 hours ago

Beyond delighted to read the comments (all 283 so far). Serious props to the American public for understanding this situation & not succumbing to dealer's asinine arguments. And Business Insider, seriously you guys need to start getting better reporters.
Like · Reply · 9 · 5 hrs

"He wants all the profits for himself." says a guy who wants money for himself.
Like · Reply · 8 · 5 hrs

Love The more the dealer's fight Elon and direct sales, the more stupid and greedy they will look. Keep it up, Elon, you have a lot of supporters.
Like · Reply · 8 · 6 hrs

Dealers are useless. The middle man is the greedy one not Musk!
Like · Reply · 8 · 6 hrs

So people who are used to the "good ol' boy" handshake haggling system are upset that someone refuses to give into the system and has a damn good product to sell without them?

Gee. I'm not surprised and I'm backing Elon in his endeavor.
Like · Reply · 8 · 7 hrs

Having a job for the purpose of having a job doesn't do anything for anyone. Middlemen jobs are disintegrating all around us. And stupid laws that just try to help people hang onto skills that aren't really needed, in this instance, anymore will go away. Progress.
Like · Reply · 8 · 7 hrs

Tesla is UNSTOPPABLE!!! The world is awaken!!! Tesla is NOT going out of business. The dealers are SCARED!!! It's not NJ who shut down Tesla! It's EX Governor Christie and the Dealers! Propel of NJ will be awaken!!!
Like · Reply · 8 · 13 hours ago

esla Takeover #TeamElon
Like · Reply · 8 · 14 hours ago

Musk slams New Jersey car dealer 'The world does not revolve around you and your dealership'
Like · Reply · 8 · 16 hours ago

Elon Musk owns Tesla. He created Tesla cars. He did so with his own money. Why does anyone think they're entitled to anything?! He should keep the profits!! They're not concerned with him 'cutting out a lot of people'. They're concerned with their unjustified cut. NJ people - just buy one online!
Like · Reply · 7 · 1 hr · Edited

I guess implied reasoning behind this statement is that dealerships somehow deserve a share of the profits without adding any value? Total nonsense.
Like · Reply · 7 · 4 hrs

I have a tesla model s (far better than any car I ever bought from a dealer) and I live in nj. The dealers are scared they will go the way of the buggy whip. They should be scared. Stay out of the way... We don't need you any longer! Show you add val...See More
Like · Reply · 7 · 7 hrs

total confirmation that car dealers CONTINUE to be completely out of touch with how today's consumer shops and consumes goods. This is the Amazon generation - where we research even the smallest purchase to death, quickly search for the lowe...See More
Like · Reply · 7 · 7 hrs

I want to buy directly from the manufacturer. In this case, Tesla. Car Dealerships are an antiquated and unsustainable business model. Just ask GM, Ford and Chrysler.
Like · Reply · 7 · 7 hrs

Lol "Real talk"?! Business Insider needed a strong controversy piece. That's all this is. Musk can do what he wants with his products, HOW he wants. He makes a good product. He sells it direct because he doesn't want those people who broker the transac...See More
Like · Reply · 7 · 8 hrs

This is a ridiculously lame argument. It's a middleman grasping at the last straw, trying to convince the world that we need middlemen in a world that is sending them into obsolescence. You can't survive by forcing the environment to conform to you, only those that conform to their environment will survive.
Like · Reply · 7 · 13 hours ago

So by requiring archaic inefficiency, and costing consumers more money, this is how America creates jobs now?
Like · Reply · 7 · 15 hours ago

Arrogant greedy car salesmen, and I thought that was only a stereo type.
Like · Reply · 7 · 16 hours ago

You kidding me? I'm in sales (not selling cars), but when I go to the dealership every stereotype of a salesman comes out.
Like · 5 · 16 hours ago

As a consumer wouldn't you rather cut out the middle man and buy straight from the source? Elon is right dealers don't care about customer they're worried about commission imo! I work for Tesla and and it is great company and they look after us employees! Also for Elon being who he is he's more down to earth then people may think and we all respect the man and the company
Like · Reply · 6 · 1 hr

"Keep the profit for himself." What does #Musk think this is? Capitalism? And to have the audacity to pass the savings on to consumers? That jerk! I prefer paying a flunkie for his cut so that I can... I can't even finish this nonsense. #Teslaisawesome
Like · Reply · 6 · 5 hrs

profits are not like candy brought to school that you have to share equally amongst all your friends. If Musk has a better product and better business model (which I believe he does), he should get more candy.
Like · Reply · 6 · 6 hrs

Nothing but hateful car dealers who are REALLY THE ONES wanting all the profits. They're just jealous that Musk and Tesla started a new way of buying cars rather than going to sneaky shady LYING car dealers and salesmen. Get over it car dealers. Musk and Tesla will prevail! And I'm on board!
Like · Reply · 6 · 6 hrs

Now I fully understand the message from How I Met Your Mother, New Jersey really does suck.

Posted by: Pumper ()
Date: March 21, 2014 01:15AM

^ Whiner must have bought TSLA at the top.

Posted by: Only stupid people like dealers ()
Date: March 21, 2014 01:21AM

Dealerships serve no purpose....other than to produce annoying commercials.

Posted by: Why do you care all of a sudden ()
Date: March 21, 2014 06:31AM

Only stupid people like dealers Wrote:
> Dealerships serve no purpose....other than to
> produce annoying commercials.

Why is Gerry all of a sudden harping on this issue? Why didn't he care about it a year ago? Hundreds of small car manufacturers have tried unsuccessfully to challenge the system but Gerry now is all up in arms about it. Gerry's partisanship is only outdone by his stupidity.

Posted by: mVbPv ()
Date: March 21, 2014 06:35AM

Dealerships save you money by being able to buy Nissan's (or whatever) from the cheapest source available unlike the consumer who would other be forced to buy Nissan's directly from the factory. You don't really understand the leverage the dealership has in this situation. If it doesn't buy Nissan's from the factory, it can always buy them from the other Nissan factory.

Posted by: libs suck ()
Date: March 21, 2014 08:18AM

Libs are so easily manipulated and against anything American.
Dealerships create competition, choice, jobs, careers and help the economy. It's no wonder libs would be against them.

Posted by: Reality ()
Date: March 21, 2014 08:36AM

Why is Gerry all of a sudden harping on this issue?"

Notice that once it was pointed out that this would reduce taxes, G2 shut up...

Posted by: NJ Car Dealer ()
Date: March 21, 2014 10:40AM

mVbPv Wrote:
> Dealerships save you money by being able to buy
> Nissan's (or whatever) from the cheapest source
> available unlike the consumer who would other be
> forced to buy Nissan's directly from the factory.
> You don't really understand the leverage the
> dealership has in this situation. If it doesn't
> buy Nissan's from the factory, it can always buy
> them from the other Nissan factory.

Nice try, tesla whore, but like Realtors in the real estate business, dealerships are integral to the automobile business and are not going anywhere.

Posted by: 9TTVK ()
Date: March 21, 2014 01:08PM

Why do you care all of a sudden Wrote:
> Only stupid people like dealers Wrote:
> -----
> > Dealerships serve no purpose....other than to
> > produce annoying commercials.
>
> Why is Gerry all of a sudden harping on this
> issue? Why didn't he care about it a year ago?
> Hundreds of small car manufacturers have tried
> unsuccessfully to challenge the system but Gerry
> now is all up in arms about it. Gerry's
> partisanship is only outdone by his stupidity.

Because it involves NJ which equals Christie and he's been told to care by his talking point masters.

No other reason. Same situation exists in VA and many other states.

Posted by: Great Fails ()
Date: June 13, 2023 06:48AM

Conservatives lose again.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.