HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I recently bought a ~ Prentice Hall book ~ off ~ Amazon ~ but this book review IS ABOUT COVER FAILURE and school bookstore rip-offs
Posted by: associated pressings ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:08PM

So it's a post 2000's book, only one previous reader, few markings.

THE CARDBOARD HARD COVER IS MUSHROOMING near the binding ends - causing issues closing it and deforming the front and back pages (they are no longer flat, they are crumpling).

THE BINDING HAS A LARGE SPLIT - not falling apart (yet) it's the "color" cover on top of the cardboard - it's so thin that it's just tearing wherever the book end folds - separating from the cardboard cover WHICH WAS BOUGHT/PAID to be a "hard cover".

The book hasn't "been abused" by either reader. None of my old hardcover books do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I recently bought a ~ Prentice Hall book ~ off ~ Amazon ~ but this book review IS ABOUT COVER FAILURE and school bookstore rip-offs
Posted by: 09sdkf ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:09PM

THANKS OBAMA

Re: I recently bought a ~ Prentice Hall book ~ off ~ Amazon ~ but this book review IS ABOUT COVER FAILURE and school bookstore rip-offs
Date: April 17, 2020 04:20PM

I have a book from 1972 who's binding and cover is still in excellent condition.

My mom has a copy of Gone With the Wind, which I'm pretty sure was printed in 1940's, who's cover is faded but in perfect condition.

Date: April 17, 2020 04:27PM

05GoneWithWind.jpg

that book probably was bought used or given away - still in great condition

COLLEGE BOOKS cost like $150 $250 sometimes. And they don't last past one reader.

(I forgot to say that I've only had the book a few months. It's not time for it to be failing "yet")

Date: April 17, 2020 04:37PM

https://bindery.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/WHyBooksFallApart.pdf

Every librarian working down in the trenches most likely has experienced new books coming apart. This may be the case even before they are circulated. On some books, the sheets are coming out or covers on soft cover bound and hard cover bound bindings separate from the book blocks. Worse, some of the most expensive sewn "coffee table books" may split apart between signatures. Sewing through the fold is considered the very best method for an edition bound books. Why then do they come apart? You may wonder why such "things" happen in an industrial age where everything in a manufacturing environment should be under control.

... The writer goes on to say they work for a book maker and sure that book companies are intentionally using the wrong adhesives to cause PRE-MATURE FAILURE

Books are more expensive than ever at college book stores. It's just one more of an avalanche of Obama Age engineered rip-offs that ARE VERY DAMAGING.

-----------------------------
What this librarian didn't discuss is that the US GOV and libraries are buying this junk at top price - and many books are illegal copies of american or euro books produced in india but purchased by the Libarary of Congress "as if they weren't fakes". That the book scam industry goes VERY DEEP STATE.

I GUARANTEE YOU this doesn't make books more available - it is LESS. The most sought after "hottest" books aren't in PDF (to prevent them from being stolen) or are extremely expensive in PDF (and the pdf - it's often careless broken software).

AMAZON et al have a "price extortion scheme" going on: it's very difficult to sell books (it requires you sit on it like a hen every day - if you fail to notice your book sold and ship quickly: you are penalized)

AMAZON et al have a "price extortion scheme" going on: the more sought after books are in "extremely low supply" (despite they were the MOST PRINTED) - and priced 3x that of the less sought after books.

THE "ME GENERATION" - the Clinton / Obama generation - screwed up more of the USA than can ever be imagined. Intentionally. For short term profit.

Posted by: TO STUPID MILLENIALS ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:40PM

I have (had) a $175 book for school. It had gold on the binding and cover, sewn binding, very thin pages (acid free) - it was expensive because the quality was high - the quality was high because it was expected to be on the shelf a long time.

THAT WAS WHY EXPENSIVE BOOKS WERE EXPENSIVE. Hillary and Obama decided to terrorize Millenials with forced purchases OF FAKES.

FORCED PURCHASES OF FAKES: Hillary and Obama

Posted by: 09sdijf ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:42PM

little red riding hood

Posted by: op9djf ()
Date: April 18, 2020 11:21AM

d

Posted by: o9sidfj ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:07AM

d

Posted by: Izzy ()
Date: May 24, 2020 07:00PM

How wonderful it is that there are people in our time who appreciate books! I love books and I used to spend hours in libraries. But progress is moving forward and it should be recognized that online books are gaining the upper hand over printed ones. I started reading online novels myself and it's very convenient. On the way to work, in the metro or bus. To read light novel on the way to work is great. But having a library at home is even better.

Posted by: Weber77 ()
Date: May 24, 2020 07:19PM

Izzy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How wonderful it is that there are people in our
> time who appreciate books! I love books and I used
> to spend hours in libraries. But progress is
> moving forward and it should be recognized that
> online books are gaining the upper hand over
> printed ones. I started reading online novels
> myself and it's very convenient. On the way to
> work, in the metro or bus. To
> read light
> novel
on the way to work is great. But
> having a library at home is even better.

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM

Posted by: bgrewfdd ()
Date: May 25, 2020 05:05PM

Izzy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How wonderful it is that there are people in our
> time who appreciate books! I love books and I used
> to spend hours in libraries. But progress is
> moving forward and it should be recognized that
> online books are gaining the upper hand over
> printed ones. I started reading online novels
> myself and it's very convenient. On the way to
> work, in the metro or bus. To
> read light
> novel
on the way to work is great. But
> having a library at home is even better.

THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL

GOOGLE GOT A HUGE GOVERNMENT GRANT (CLINTON OBAMA) to "scan books" and put them on the internet FOR CHINA TO DOWNLOAD FOR FREE. PUBLISHERS SUED.

then after giving all of usa's books to foreign countries: OBAMA reversed the law so that USA citizens had to pay for books (in other countries they are still all FREE)

DROP DEAD G2

-----------------------

meanwhile - many books are just newly going online just last and this year

huge spike in school books being "posted as available"

the publishing companies - many didn't pay - they got the data free from Google

USA TAXPAYER FUCKED MULTIPLY AGAIN, AND AGAIN

Posted by: bgrewfdd ()
Date: May 25, 2020 05:07PM

IT'S HUGELY UNTRUE BOOKS "ARE GENERALLY ONLINE"

(the cheaper easier to steal ones are - thanks to Google)

MANY GOOD BOOKS ARE STILL NOT ONLINE, or if they are, they were translated badly and are "digitally kinda broken"

the publishers who own more expensive books sued and put weapons on google immmediately for the "more expensive books". those may have gone to china but never surfaced on google for free

Posted by: gtbrbfg ()
Date: May 25, 2020 05:09PM

as I said - this and last year the "good books" just began getting online

30 FUCKING YEARS LATE BYE THE WAY

and many are already free in china. you google the books you'll find some asian has a collection of them for online access globally. licensed usa books, free online if you download from china only

drop dead G2

Posted by: gtbrbfg ()
Date: May 25, 2020 05:11PM

This article was about backstabbing democrats charging top price / hard cover price for a book barely wrapped in card board.

Saying "they are online" is a fuckface lie

If you buy a book publishers still expect you to PAY TWICE to get "access" to the digital version.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.