HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Naples Unscathed
Posted by: #NipplesForNaples ()
Date: September 12, 2017 12:36AM

SEPTEMBER 11, 2017

The historic Naples Pier at the end of 12th Avenue was still standing. Some of the streetlights had flickered back to life. The pricey houses that line the sugar sand beaches, the ones everyone feared would be struggling to stand against a surging inland sea, were barely damp.

A day after Hurricane Irma made landfall near here in what forecasters warned would be one of the most destructive storms ever to hit Florida, the pretty little seaside town of Naples, near ground zero of the Category 3 storm’s approach, found itself largely unscathed. Scattered palm fronds, fallen trees, a collapsed gas station canopy and several flooded streets seemed to be the main remnants of the hurricane’s storied fury.

“I was expecting there to be a couple of feet of water inside my house,” said Terry Klontz, who had anticipated spending the day pumping water out of his large home across the street from the beach in Naples. “I had thought of pulling out my fishing pole so I could catch some of those fish that were supposed to be swimming up the street.”

To be sure, the road in front of his house was knee-deep in water, and Klontz had to yell at gawkers cruising by in their pickups, pushing waves of water toward his house. So far, the water hadn’t come past the front door.

“I’m getting all these calls asking, ‘How bad is the damage?’ ” Klontz said. “It’s mostly not that bad.”

But southwest Florida did not emerge unscathed, and as Irma diminished to a tropical storm and blew into Georgia on Monday, many of those left in its wake were only beginning to assess the damage.

The scene in some parts of Bonita Springs, just north of Naples, was downright grim.

In a modest pocket of homes and businesses by the interstate, the water was waist-deep. Mobile home carports were strewn everywhere. Soaked mattresses stood propped outside front doors...

No one needs to tell the homeowners in Bonita Springs that hurricanes can destroy. But the free pass many believe they got from Irma’s glancing blow has prompted some to worry that the many, many homeowners who emerged relatively unscathed from what was supposed to be a punishing hit will get complacent when the next storm comes through.

“When it happens again, nobody is going to believe the weatherman, and they are going to think they will be fine,” said Steven Giles, 58, who sells real estate in nearby Fort Myers. “They’re not.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Naples Unscathed
Posted by: Goatfuckerer2 ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:27PM

Of course Naples was unscathed, Ravi predicted it would get hit hard. Whenever Ravi makes a prediction the opposite happens. Ravi has never been right in his entire shitstain refugee "life".

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.