HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A question for eesh and the other forum intellectuals
Posted by: HS Senior ()
Date: February 14, 2016 11:55PM

Is it better to have a double bachelors in say physics and electrical engineering or to masters only in electrical engineering? I am talking about a double degree and not a double major. It will take 5 years to complete the masters program or the double BS program.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A question for eesh and the other forum intellectuals
Posted by: Dually ()
Date: February 15, 2016 12:07AM

I did dual chem and biology. Mostly only because I knew that I was going to be there 4.5 years anyway and there was a lot of overlap in degree requirements so it was easy to just pick up a couple more required classes and end up with both. I'd guess the same would apply to physics and EE. All that it amounted to mostly was taking a few more upper-level classes vs slacking off at the end.

Can't really say that it helped me job-wise since I ended up going a completely different direction later. Looks good on a resume I guess relative to someone with just one. I did learn more than I would have and it tied things together better for me.

Posted by: Dually ()
Date: February 15, 2016 12:12AM

Should have said above that it's not a substitute for a Masters. May help get you into a better Masters program.

Posted by: Durkee ()
Date: February 15, 2016 12:41AM

I would say go for the Masters. It will be easier to focus on and progress in (one topic) while in school. It will also have more weight to potential employers down the road, even if you end up not working in that specific field. (That's pretty common these days.)

Posted by: hss45 ()
Date: February 15, 2016 12:47AM

If you consider Eesh an intellectual, then you may wanna rethink the whole idea of college.

Posted by: GunBlubber ()
Date: February 15, 2016 05:18AM

HS Senior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it better to have a double bachelors in say
> physics and electrical engineering or to masters
> only in electrical engineering? I am talking
> about a double degree and not a double major. It
> will take 5 years to complete the masters program
> or the double BS program.

If you complete the double BS program I'm sure you could get a F/T unpaid intern job as a forum moderator at FFXU Off Topic.

Posted by: double major ()
Date: February 15, 2016 10:37AM

Just get a double major and then a masters. You should be able to do that in 5 yrs.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 15, 2016 10:54AM

If you are a high school senior, it is probably too early to be making that decision. Many people hit college with a clear idea of what they want to study only to find out they either can't cut it in that field or their true passion lies elsewhere. If possible try to find a way that would leave both options plus others open and see how things go once you get to college.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: February 15, 2016 11:59AM

If you're going to pursue a science research career, an MS and PhD in the scientific field is more important than adding an engineering major. A BS degree in a science quickly reaches a ceiling. You can get a job as an assistant or associate, but you have to be pursuing a master's and a Phd while on the job. I would just go with EE and pursue a masters in engineering or business admin.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.