HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obama purposely lied about support for gay marriage
Posted by: David Axelrod ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:28PM

Axelrod book: Obama lied on same-sex marriage

By Jeremy Diamond, CNN

Updated 2:40 PM ET, Tue February 10, 2015

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama didn't actually evolve on same-sex marriage, according to one of Obama's closest former top aides.

Obama had actually supported it for years, David Axelrod writes in his new book, "Believer: My Forty Years in Poltics," released Tuesday.

But Obama, Axelrod writes, opposed same-sex marriage during his 2008 presidential campaign and throughout most of his first term as President due to political concerns.

"Gay marriage was a particularly nagging issue. For as long as we had been working together, Obama had felt a tug between his personal views and the politics of gay marriage," Axelrod writes. "Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church, and as he ran for higher office, he grudgingly accepted the counsel of more pragmatic folks like me, and modified his position to support civil unions rather than marriage, which he would term a 'sacred union.'"

Obama started saying in 2010 that his views were evolving on the issue and in May 2012 Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage, citing "the evolution that I went through."

But privately, Axelrod wrote that Obama made no secret of his support for same-sex marriage.

"I just don't feel my marriage is somehow threatened by the gay couple next door," Obama said, according to Axelrod's book.

In the chapter, in which he notes the "recurring tension between Obama the idealist and Obama the politician," Axelrod writes that Obama's public stance didn't seem to sit well with him.

"Obama never felt comfortable with his compromise and, no doubt, compromised position," Axelrod writes. "He routinely stumbled over the question when it came up in debates or interviews. 'I'm just not very good at bulls---ting,' he said with a sigh after one such awkward exchange."

Axelrod's book only confirms previous reports that Obama had, in fact, supported gay marriage for a long time.

While running for his first term in the Illinois State Senate, Obama signed a questionnaire in which he answered that he "favored legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight to prohibit such marriages." The questionnaire came to light in 2009, days before Obama's inauguration.

"I had no doubt that this was his heartfelt belief," Axelrod said of the questionnaire. "He also knew his view was way out in front of the public's."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama purposely lied about support for gay marriage
Posted by: we all knew this ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:32PM

For anyone that had a clue knew this. He was just giving lip service to those moderates that weren't yet sure on Gay Marriage. Now it is over.

Posted by: Bigger deal ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:34PM

He lied about health care.

Posted by: Oh, Please ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:41PM

Old news. Everyone knew this. But I'm shocked - shocked! - that a politician might have to pander to his less enlightened constituents.

Date: February 10, 2015 06:41PM

we all knew this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For anyone that had a clue knew this. He was just
> giving lip service to those moderates that weren't
> yet sure on Gay Marriage. Now it is over.

Of course we did. Doesn't change that he knowingly lied about it for political purposes. Just like he's obviously lied about many other things. And when the the lies are pointed out the libtards all line up to deny it and facilitate the lie.

Posted by: His opinion "evolved" ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:43PM

He takes it in his ass.

Date: February 10, 2015 06:44PM

Oh, and then, as above, it becomes "old news." lol

As Maureen Dowd at NYT accurately characterized the approach "Deny, deny, deny... Old news!"

Posted by: Whatever... ()
Date: February 10, 2015 08:08PM

Of course, Obama supported gay marriage, and most people figured as much. But the country wasn't ready at the time for marriage equality, and Obama knew it. The country was just starting to accept civil unions, which Obama openly supported. I don't think anyone could have predicted the speed with which voters came to accept gay people in general. When that happened, Obama felt that he could speak more candidly. I consider this a 'white lie' - nothing like lying to get the country into an immoral, unjustified war.

Posted by: Typical libtard justification ()
Date: February 10, 2015 08:29PM

Whatever... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, Obama supported gay marriage, and most
> people figured as much. But the country wasn't
> ready at the time for marriage equality, and Obama
> knew it. The country was just starting to accept
> civil unions, which Obama openly supported. I
> don't think anyone could have predicted the speed
> with which voters came to accept gay people in
> general. When that happened, Obama felt that he
> could speak more candidly. I consider this a
> 'white lie' - nothing like lying to get the
> country into an immoral, unjustified war.

In other words, he lied for political purposes just like he's lied about other matters for political purposes.

End justifies the means right?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.