HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Parts of NOVA feel Northern/Southern....
Posted by: Borderline ()
Date: December 13, 2013 10:53AM

Northern Virginia is very weird place. Parts of it feel like the Northeast, and parts of it feel more "South". From my personal experience in Fairfax County alone , this is how I felt. Herndon and Reston- definitely Northern. It doesn't feel very Southern at all. But I read that area was settled by Union veterans after the War.

Fairfax City- slightly more Southern. Oakton is Southern. Manassas, Warrenton- Southern. Leesburg, slightly Southern. Dale City and Springfield, Northern. Alexandria- Southern city. I don't know what it is that makes a place Northern or Southern- its more like a "vibe" I get. Reston is the worst of these places. People are the rudest there and more likely to have NY/NJ accents.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parts of NOVA feel Northern/Southern....
Posted by: GatewayCities ()
Date: December 13, 2013 02:33PM

Its strange how much its changed. When people I know moved to this area over 30 years ago, Fairfax was definitely a more 'Southern' destination. Especially for those coming from the Northeast and Midwest. In those days, D.C. was the gateway city for the Sunbelt region. Now, we're definitely on that dividing line. A Deep South Southerner said he didn't even consider North Carolina the South, let alone Virginia, but he did make an exception for Richmond and a few other Virginia towns and cities. I guess it depends on who you ask. Most people believe the South stops at Richmond.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: December 13, 2013 02:53PM

I always say the South begins at the Rappahannock. There are plenty of traces of the south in NoVa and echoes of an earlier time when NoVa was southern, but southern is not the dominant culture in NoVa. As for Gateway Cities' Deep South friend, it should be remembered that the south is not now nor never was a monolithic entity.

Posted by: A-hole -> () o ()
Date: December 13, 2013 04:33PM

So basically shit holes like Man's asses & Dale City feel "Southern"... yep, Dat's about right Yo! Enjoy that 2 hour commute "Southern" retards.

Posted by: BlablaYankee ()
Date: December 13, 2013 10:07PM

A-hole -> () o Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So basically shit holes like Man's asses & Dale
> City feel "Southern"... yep, Dat's about right
> Yo! Enjoy that 2 hour commute "Southern" retards.

Yeah, because Reston and Herndon are so sophisticated, lol. Actually, OP meant more friendly, nice people who aren't rude and crude makes it feel more like the South and not a New Jersey backwater.

Posted by: wakaflackaflam ()
Date: December 13, 2013 10:10PM

Fuck the 'North'! Keep your clogged and fucked up roads that spew pollutants in the city. Damn yuppied.

Posted by: SearchofDixie ()
Date: December 14, 2013 02:42PM

I'd add that Sterling is kind of Southern. So is Old Great Fallas area. And of course the "Hunt Country" in Loudoun and Faquier County. Nothing in Fairfax County really seems to have that Southern genteel quality left. The worst places are Reston, Herndon, and Crystal City. Just really depressing and drab with no character whatsoever.
Even Springfield is more fun.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.