HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The ACA Is Taking Off!
Posted by: Fat~Bottom~Girl ()
Date: January 02, 2014 01:28PM

3 Big Obamacare Numbers to Start Off the New Year - Where things stand as the law goes into effect

The big news from the Department of Health and Human Services and from Congress as 2013 drew to close is the number of people who are poised to benefit from coverage under the Affordable Care Act as the new year begins.

•More than 2.1 million have enrolled in private-sector health insurance through the state and federal exchanges. This is more than a million people short of projections for the first three months of open enrollment and doubtless reflects the fact that the federal Healthcare.gov website was only truly functional for about one of those three months. But it also represent an astonishing recovery by the program from its original disastrous launch, raising hopes that it might even make the original goal of enrolling 7 million by the end of March 2014. One caveat: It's still unknown how many of the enrollees were previously uninsured, as opposed to people who were already insured in the individual market and just used the exchanges to get new plans.

•3.9 million people were determined eligible for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program during just October and November, though it's unclear how many have enrolled yet. Still, that's a big number for only the first two months of determinations, before interest in enrollment had its big surge in December. That number would have been much, much bigger, if not for the Supreme Court decision that allowed states to opt out of expanding the federal health insurance program for the poor. Two of the states with the most uninsured, Texas and Florida, opted out of expanding Medicaid eligibility.

•Only 10,000 people whose individual-market plans have been cancelled or slotted for cancellation under the Affordable Care Act will be unable to get affordable insurance going forward, according to a new report from Democrats on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. That's "0.2 percent of the oft-cited 5 million cancellations statistic," The Plum Line noted. The vast majority should be eligible to stay on their existing plans, thanks to the administration's last-minute fix to permit this, or get subsidies through the exchanges, according to the report. The rest should be able to obtain affordable catastrophic-care plans, according to the congressional staffers. Still, there are bound to be enough people who previously had something better among the nearly one million people the report says could at least get catastrophic care plans that concerns and objections will continue into the new year. But the specter of a massive increase in uninsurance due to the Affordable Care Act seems unwarranted, the report makes clear, because that projection fails to take into account the variety of insurance options now available.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/3-big-obamacare-numbers-to-start-off-the-new-year/282749/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The ACA Is Taking Off!
Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat ()
Date: January 02, 2014 07:44PM

It won't be taking off with me. I won't sign up.

In fact, Obama can fine me, wine me and 69 me. I still won't fess up to sign up for that horrible P.O.S. plan.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 07:48PM

Good, you can fund it for the rest of us. I like that even better.

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: January 03, 2014 12:59AM

What a mess. Medicaid out the wazoo, preexisting conditions out the wazoo and few young, healthy people signing up to support the system. These old folks writing the rules have forgotten what it's like to be young and healthy and feeling invincible.

Posted by: Say it ain't so Gerr ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:02AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good, you can fund it for the rest of us. I like
> that even better.

But you won't join.

Why Gerry why?

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:12AM

I'm starting to feel the love with Obamacare. It's actually giving me a thrill up my leg.

Attachments:
Jan 2014 - Obamaville.jpg
Jan 2014 - Medicare shift raising age to 67.jpg

Posted by: Sure it is ()
Date: January 03, 2014 07:37AM

Sure, it is taking off. And, it will crash land with no survivors in short order. This law is so bad - they are "building the plane while flying it."

Posted by: Gerry's a troll he won't enroll ()
Date: January 03, 2014 07:49AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> Good, you can fund it for the rest of us. I like
> that even better.

Um, but gERRYTARD, you won't enroll. You are proof Obama Care is shit and your old healthcare is better. You are a bigger failure than Obamascare.

Say it with me:
GERRY'S A TROLL, HE WON'T ENROLL.
GERRY'S A TROLL, HE WON'T ENROLL.

Posted by: wingtits ()
Date: January 04, 2014 07:02AM

Debbie Downer Democrat Wrote:
> I'm starting to feel the love with Obamacare.
> It's actually giving me a thrill up my leg.
>

rightarded again!

http://charlespetzold.com/blog/2013/12/I-Health-Insurer.html

In 1989 and 1992, the well-known conservative think-tank The Heritage Foundation released two studies, “Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans” and “The Heritage Consumer Choice Health Plan,” which described approaches to health insurance that preserved the role of the free market, and hence appealed to conservative ideology. The Heritage Foundation recommendations involved requiring health insurance companies to make available policies with certain minimum standards and covering pre-existing conditions, but also require everyone to purchase health insurance, much like everyone who operates a car is required to buy automobile insurance.

It’s certainly not as elegant as single-payer “Medicare For Everybody,” but it seemed to be a reasonable conservative approach that retains a dominant role for the private-sector health insurance industry. Policies are required to cover pre-existing conditions, but there’s no anti-selection because everyone is required to buy health insurance.

Another essential guard against anti-selection is a uniformity of benefits. Medical costs that are more elective than others — such as pregnancy — can’t be optional because people planning a pregnancy would get the extra coverage before conceiving, and then drop the coverage after delivering. Such coverage must be mandatory for the system to work.

In 2006, Republican Governor Mitt Romney signed a bill implementing the Heritage Foundation approach in Massachusetts, and in 2010 the Heritage Foundation approach was adapted for nationwide use (but still administered by individual states) as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, known popularly as Obamacare.

Posted by: SHyeah right ()
Date: January 04, 2014 06:09PM

Keep in mind the Hindenburg "took off" too, dumb ass, it Obamacare will land just as gracefully.

Posted by: Rasmussen Poll ()
Date: January 04, 2014 06:34PM

in our lastest poll most of the people that have signed up for Obamacare didn't vote for him.

Posted by: libtarda ()
Date: January 04, 2014 06:41PM

Rasmussen Poll Wrote:
> in our lastest poll most of the people that have
> signed up for Obamacare didn't vote for him.

Even if it were true....

Because their plans were cancelled by Obama because he lied (again) and fucked 5 million families and gave them no choice.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.