HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
March 11 The 1977 Hanafi Siege
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 11, 2010 02:06PM

The 1977 Hanafi Siege refers to an incident that occurred March 9–11, 1977, in which three buildings in Washington, D.C. were seized by 12 African-American Muslim gunmen, led by Hamaas Abdul Khaalis, who took 149 hostages and killed a radio journalist and a police officer. After a 39-hour standoff all other hostages were released from the District Building (city hall; now called the John A. Wilson Building), B'nai B'rith headquarters, and the Islamic Center of Washington.

One of those killed was 24-year-old Maurice Williams, a young radio reporter from WHUR-FM, who stepped off a fifth floor elevator into the crisis. (The fifth floor is where the Mayor and City Council President have their offices). The gunmen also shot DC Protective Service Division, Police Officer Mack Cantrell, who died a few days later in the hospital of a heart attack. Then-D.C. council member, later twice mayor, Marion Barry walked into the hallway of the District Building after hearing a commotion and was hit by a ricocheted shotgun pellet just above his heart. He was taken out a window and rushed to a hospital.

The gunmen had several demands. They "wanted the government to hand over a group of men who had been convicted of killing seven relatives – mostly children – of takeover leader Hamaas Khaalis. They also demanded that the movie Mohammad, Messenger of God be destroyed because they considered it sacrilegious."[1]

Time magazine noted: "That the toll was not higher was in part a tribute to the primary tactic U.S. law enforcement officials are now using to thwart terrorists—patience. But most of all, perhaps, it was due to the courageous intervention of three Muslim ambassadors, Egypt's Ashraf Ghorbal, Pakistan's Sahabzada Yaqub-Khan and Iran's Ardeshir Zahedi."[2]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: March 11 The 1977 Hanafi Siege
Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:05PM

Well Happy Hanafi Siege day everyone

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: dc guy ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:54PM

The Hanafi Madhad Center on 16th St. NW had guys holding up big ass machetes guarding the front door for weeks after this crises. They had veils and turbans covering his faces so you couldn't see their faces. The center also flew the American flag upside down for months after everything was over.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 11, 2010 05:07PM

im just glad Marion Barry managed to escape with just a scratch

33% of 18-34 Yr Olds LIVE WITH THEIR PARENTS
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 11, 2010 08:59PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 09:23AM by WingNut.

Obama: Released Taliban Prisoners Could ‘Absolutely’ Pose Threat to U.S
Date: March 11, 2010 09:16PM

..file.php?40,file=112721,filename=dickhea

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 09:23AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Bernard L. Wilson ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:02AM

I was one of the DC police officers that responded during the first few minutes of the takeover. Mr. Berry was not taken out of a window. Myself one other Police officer and two dc ambulance workers carried a gurney up from the forth floor, down the hall, Near the mayors office side of the building ran down the hall into the counsel chambers, loaded Mr.Berry onto the gurney pushed it down the hall and carried him down one flight of stairs and loaded him onto the elevator. The window was on the fifth floor. I had called to have a ladder truck place a ladder to the window but a fire chief said he was not going to send up any of his men into the line of fire. I was one of the officers that helped the building guard down that set of stairs you mentioned and handed him off to paramedics.( I have the letter I wrote about the incident).

It reads "3/9/77 At about_____ hours I, officer Bernard L. Wilson of the First District was assigned to Scout 18, report that I responded to the District Building in response to a radio assignment for a shooting. Upon arrival I cleared the first floor hallway and told the Dist. of Govt. guard to cover the exits. I started up the stairs and was met by officer Hebron of S.O.D., K-9. He was bringing an injured guard down the stairs. I assisted him with the guard and we put him in an ambulance. I then started back up the stairs, clearing the hall ways as I went. Upon arriving at the 5th floor, I was met there by Det.Triggs, Homicide. I observed a wounded (Dead) man in the hallway.An officer(Hall SOD K-9) was in a position across the hall. People were inside the city Counsels chambers. They informed me that Mr. Marion Barry was shot and they wanted a medical team to come in there. I went down to the first floor and got an ambulance team and took them to the stairwell across from city counsel chambers.With the aid of the S.O.D. barricade team and members of the First District, we were able to get a medical team inside the chambers. Mr. Berry was administered to by the medical team and myself..Myself and other officers from SOD assisted in getting Mr. Berry back across the hallway and down the elevator to the ambulance>.

33% of 18-34 Yr Olds LIVE WITH THEIR PARENTS
Date: November 13, 2013 09:30AM

file.php?40,file=112721,filename=dickhea

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 09:23AM by WingNut.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:18PM

Yeah, Marion caught a bit of scrapnel in the upper chest area, and was back to work in 2 weeks.

Posted by: Hillary Supporter ()
Date: November 13, 2013 03:46PM

ferfux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1977 Hanafi Siege refers to an incident that
> occurred March 9–11, 1977, in which three
> buildings in Washington, D.C. were seized by 12
> African-American Muslim gunmen, led by Hamaas
> Abdul Khaalis, who took 149 hostages and killed a
> radio journalist and a police officer. After a
> 39-hour standoff all other hostages were released
> from the District Building (city hall; now called
> the John A. Wilson Building), B'nai B'rith
> headquarters, and the Islamic Center of
> Washington.
>
> One of those killed was 24-year-old Maurice
> Williams, a young radio reporter from WHUR-FM, who
> stepped off a fifth floor elevator into the
> crisis. (The fifth floor is where the Mayor and
> City Council President have their offices). The
> gunmen also shot DC Protective Service Division,
> Police Officer Mack Cantrell, who died a few days
> later in the hospital of a heart attack. Then-D.C.
> council member, later twice mayor, Marion Barry
> walked into the hallway of the District Building
> after hearing a commotion and was hit by a
> ricocheted shotgun pellet just above his heart. He
> was taken out a window and rushed to a hospital.
>
> The gunmen had several demands. They "wanted the
> government to hand over a group of men who had
> been convicted of killing seven relatives –
> mostly children – of takeover leader Hamaas
> Khaalis. They also demanded that the movie
> Mohammad, Messenger of God be destroyed because
> they considered it sacrilegious."[1]
>
> Time magazine noted: "That the toll was not higher
> was in part a tribute to the primary tactic U.S.
> law enforcement officials are now using to thwart
> terrorists—patience. But most of all, perhaps,
> it was due to the courageous intervention of three
> Muslim ambassadors, Egypt's Ashraf Ghorbal,
> Pakistan's Sahabzada Yaqub-Khan and Iran's
> Ardeshir Zahedi."[2]

You could always use Hillary's logic that what difference does it really make at this point?

Posted by: ferfux is a girl ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:22PM

ferfux is a girl, that's why eesh hates her

Posted by: 9EWJX ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:49PM

ferfux is a girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ferfux is a girl, that's why eesh hates her

he does have a misogynist streak to him with all the nsfw posts.

Posted by: ferfux is a girl ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:52PM

I spoke to ferfux many times IRL and she and I became somewhat close. eesh hates her apparently because she is female and is higher ranking in the military than he ever was. She confided a lot in me. We were......friends.....for a time.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.