HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pack Up the Kids, We’re Going to Therapy!
Posted by: Robert L ()
Date: December 04, 2012 11:50AM

I’ve been in therapy forever. I don’t mind really. I’m a screwed up person, and I feel like it helps me get my shit together and out of my funk or as I like to call it, my Misery. I used to get it really cheap, and then for a while, I had insurance that paid. I would often just quit going for a year or two if I felt that I got better enough, but then I would relapse really bad and feel like I needed to get some therapy again.

I now get it through the county. I get meds from the county, and a condition of that is you have to be in therapy. So, no problem. He’s also made me go to group therapy, and that’s pretty fun too.

The people in group don’t seem the slightest bit insane in general. If you came to our group, I don’t think you would think that there was even one crazy person there. In fact, you would have a hard time figuring out who the patients are and who the therapists are. The patients have dx’s of Depression, Manic Depression, Schizophrenia and OCD.

The schizophrenic is very interesting. For a long time in this group, I had forgotten that you had to have a serious dx to get in. I thought the patients were just regular folks from the community with “life problems” and such.

I thought the schizophrenic was just a very nice, very shy, somewhat nervous and hyper guy with some self-esteem issues. I was floored when he told me he had schizophrenia. I never would have guessed. On meds, he is certainly within the normal range behaviorally. The people with manic depression and depression simply appear normal. Some of them might seem a little down, but you see people like that all over in the public anyway.

I’ve been told that only relatively healthy people even end up in group at all. The real crazies just can’t handle group. They drop out or get thrown out pretty quickly.

Individual therapy is just fine. It’s just you and some really smart and interesting genius-type guy sitting there talking about your stuff. It’s like a conversation with a friend. There’s nothing to it, and nothing to be scared of. Therapists are generally excellent at what they do these days, and therapy is getting more and more scientific minded. These folks are generally on the scientific cutting edge as far as the science of psychotherapy is concerned.

There’s no reason to be scared off by the stigma of therapy. See all those famous people, those Hollywood stars, celebrities, musicians, authors, and whatnot? They’re all in therapy. Many have been in therapy forever. Celebrity guys are still drowning in hangers-on, chicks and money, no matter how often they go to therapy. It’s not like fame groupies say, “Oh! You go to therapy! I won’t date you!”

If it’s good enough for the beautiful people, why isn’t it good enough for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pack Up the Kids, We’re Going to Therapy!
Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: December 04, 2012 12:13PM

I didn't read that, but it's good you're getting the help you need.

Posted by: Yiddish Yankee ()
Date: December 04, 2012 01:11PM

Get a blog....... or go to therapy.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: December 04, 2012 01:16PM

At least the tl;dr post used paragraphs and coherent speech, that puts him far ahead of the Lamb Center poster.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: December 05, 2012 09:24AM

An Irish Setter is far ahead of the Lamb Center poster.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.