HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Treatise about the current state of Hot Wheels toys
Posted by: Retro.Dad ()
Date: November 04, 2013 10:16AM

So, my son has acquired quite a collection of Hot Wheels cars. I was telling him about how when I was his age, we had the whole C-Clamp deal and you'd find a high spot in the house and then connect sections of track, jumps, banked curves, the finish line with a drop flag, etc. and he said that was something he'd like to do, too.

He has a birthday coming up so, I went over to Toys R Us to buy him a set of track, connectors and several accessories. Only...they don't make them that way anymore...

They have these wall mounted sets where the cars run down a series of ramps and switchbacks. They had a few track sets that incorporated the C-Clamp but...the set had ONE section of 6 foot track with a ramp on the end. That's it. Dear Hot Wheels, If the track is one ribbon of 6 foot plastic and you coiled it into the box...how is it going to lie flat to run cars on, you fucking mopes?!?! Signed, A 70's kid

I went on EBay and there's a good assortment of lots of the old-school tracks so, I'll go that route. I probably won't give it to him for his birthday because they're all mostly used but, that's ok.

Why on earth are they building the tracksets like this now? Talk about ruining a great brand...

Oh, and Hot Wheels? Not EVERY 70's muscle car needs to have a slammed suspension and oversize wheels....hmmmmmk?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Treatise about the current state of Hot Wheels toys
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: November 04, 2013 08:09PM

We used to have a Thundershift 500 Hot Wheels racetrack set that me and my brother used to race on. That thing rocked. The fun thing was finding which cars could handle the highest speeds. The little silver Porche 911 Hot Wheels car was the best. No matter how hard you cranked it you couldn't get it to jump the track.

Posted by: Retro.Dad ()
Date: November 04, 2013 08:21PM

tomahawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We used to have a Thundershift 500 Hot Wheels
> racetrack set that me and my brother used to race
> on. That thing rocked. The fun thing was finding
> which cars could handle the highest speeds. The
> little silver Porche 911 Hot Wheels car was the
> best. No matter how hard you cranked it you
> couldn't get it to jump the track.

Yup...I had a Thundershift 500 too and it provided HOURS of analog entertainment. I can't remember which car in my collection back then was the Track Star but my brother and I tested the cars extensively.

Later, we also got a SuperChargers set which had the carwash booster deal...that was fun, too but the Thundershift 500 was the better, more enjoyable set.

Posted by: Racer K ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:35PM

Still have most if not all of my hot wheels and matchbox cars. Early 1970s to late 80s with a few 1960s as well. Had the hot wheels track with the clamp and sections. Always needed more "tongues" to couple them together and ended up making them from cardboard. Also had a car with this glider on top that would detach and fly as the car passed a special track piece.

I even have a few rechargeable Sizzlers from around 1972. Wish I still had the 4 D cell "gas pump" recharger for them.

I had the figure 8 racetrack with the building at the crossover that had motorized foam wheels that pushed the cars around. Was that the car wash? They used to jet out at high speeds and have enough momentum to make it around the 8. When the batteries got old it was just pathetic. I made a matchbox "gun" out of it and would launch cars at my friends. Good times.

Wish I still had my SST cars as well. Those things really moved with that big flywheel. Had the crash set that had parts that would fly off when they hit each other. Cool.

Posted by: Just Say Nope ()
Date: November 05, 2013 12:15AM

. . . and stop it with the retarded 'graphics' on EVERY car ! ! ! We used to rub that crap off with cotton balls and paint thinner, I don't know if you can still do that.

Posted by: poppers63e ()
Date: November 05, 2013 07:36AM

so from thae dates that would put you old men in your late 40;s to early 50;s. time for a nursing home you are done and should not be on the internet

Posted by: P-38 Lightning Pilot ()
Date: November 05, 2013 09:40AM

Hey, Poppers...I'm 93. I didn't shoot down Japs before the best part of you trickled down your Momma's leg so that some 70 years later I have to come on hear and "listen" to you try and find a substitute for your inadequate genitals.

Posted by: Old man shaking fist ()
Date: November 05, 2013 10:28AM

Get off my Internet you damm kids!!

Seriously, fuck you!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.