HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
When Cary posts who it is then I will believe it
Posted by: fu regular ()
Date: September 02, 2012 01:18PM

too bad some basement dweller has to commit a criminal offense to get noticied in his pathetic life. When Cary posts who is responsible then we will know who to address our anger to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When Cary posts who it is then I will believe it
Posted by: 2concerned ()
Date: September 02, 2012 01:25PM

I'm not even sure that it IS a criminal offense.

He's copying and pasting text, but I'm not convinced that he understands why it works.

Certainly, there's a civil case if Cary can show damages or lost revenue, but since the site doesn't accept advertising, lost revenue would be a tough sale, and since all of the "DBM" posts can probably be deleted with a couple of clicks, he really can't make the case that it cost him a bajillion dollars to clean things up.

Of course, whether it's criminal or not, that doesn't stop the Feds from seizing equipment and asking questions later. It's not a chance I'd be anxious to take.

Posted by: worth a try ()
Date: September 02, 2012 01:42PM

18.2-152.4. Computer trespass; penalty
It shall be unlawful for any person, with malicious intent, to
Alter, disable, or erase any computer data, computer programs or computer software

Date: September 02, 2012 02:21PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with that law, but as I said, I'm not sure that he's broken it, or that the charge would "stick".

He hasn't altered anything, technically, he hasn't disabled anything, and he certainly hasn't erased any data. It's likely that he could even argue the "malicious intent" portion.

Again, it's not a chance I'd want to take, but it's not a slam-dunk on the criminal side, either.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: September 02, 2012 02:23PM

The easiest thing to do would be to go to the attacker's ISP. It usually takes more than one complaint to make an ISP drop someone as a subscriber though. At most the ISP will send out a warning letter.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: September 02, 2012 02:36PM

Ito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The easiest thing to do would be to go to the
> attacker's ISP. It usually takes more than one
> complaint to make an ISP drop someone as a
> subscriber though. At most the ISP will send out a
> warning letter.

Once Cary finds out who this piece of filth is, it would be an honor to write to that company. I hope he releases who it is, he's got plenty of backup.

Posted by: Checking ()
Date: September 02, 2012 02:54PM

This is really getting old. I check the forum to see if, hopefully, the asshole is gone. I sincerely hope he can be charged with something, and more than just a slap on the hand. Sure wish the idiot would grow up.

Date: September 02, 2012 03:16PM

DBM doesn't seem to be alone in the "had enough" category. I don't know that stopping him is going to win the war.

There's "Mr. Bumpy" who figured out that pulling up old threads also renders the site all but meaningless.

If he's using Tor, or proxies, you can probably forget about shutting that down at all. If he switches user names with every post, it'll be nearly impossible to clean up, too.

And there's "Honey Boo Boo", who invented their own version of "moderating" with just a handful of embedded videos. Again, if users come through Tor, and randomize their names, it would be a full time job just to keep visitors' browsers from crashing.

I'm wondering how far it'll go before NetNanny and "surfing filters" reclassify this site -- I know my anti-malware software has caught more than a couple of things here.

With the sporadic moderation that this site receives, it's likely to be a continuing downhill slide, especially since the "real" people will probably be the first to throw in their towels.

And maybe that's for the best... perhaps Cary should put up an "Abandon Hope" message on the front page as fair warning, and let the trolls play. I know he was actively protecting a couple of members, but he seems to have given up on those, too.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 02, 2012 03:23PM

He's probably using some public wifi. Hopefully he logged into his account from his home IP at some point.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.