HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bullshit Advertising
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:14AM

I'm a pretty experience painter since I paint something associated with my house at least once, maybe twice a year. Despite the clever advertisements quoting "one coat coverage", I have yet to find a paint that does that. I don't care what's in it, what brand it is, what the color is, or if you prime beforehand - two coats is always the norm.

Bullshit advertising.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bullshit Advertising
Posted by: splish splash ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:29AM

Their test walls were horizontal.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:30AM

I agree. Paint always looks better with two thin coats rather than one globby, drippy, thick one.

I prefer to use Kilz as a base coat anyway. It dries quickly, kills mold and other crap on the walls, is cheaper than paint and covers better.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:52AM

I planned to use Benjamin Moore's Aura paint, since it's primary selling point is that it covers in one coat. When I went to buy it, the sales guy told me that I wouldn't be happy with one coat - so I wound up buying regular Benjamin Moore paint for less money. Oh well...

What brand of paint do you use? Over the years I've tried Glidden, Sherwin-Williams, Duron, and Benjamin Moore. BM is my top choice by far.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 31, 2012 01:24PM

2 cents Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I planned to use Benjamin Moore's Aura paint,
> since it's primary selling point is that it covers
> in one coat. When I went to buy it, the sales guy
> told me that I wouldn't be happy with one coat -
> so I wound up buying regular Benjamin Moore paint
> for less money. Oh well...
>
> What brand of paint do you use? Over the years
> I've tried Glidden, Sherwin-Williams, Duron, and
> Benjamin Moore. BM is my top choice by far.

I just go with Valspar paint/primer in one. Lowes is the closest to my house, and I hate Home Depot. I've heard BM is the best from my dad, who used to own his own painting company.

And fuck Olympic and their "low VOC" paint. Stay away...that shit sucks. I put some in my kitchen because the wife liked the color and if you get some crap on the wall from the kids, there's paint stains on the cloth when you wipe the other shit off. There's no adhesion.

Posted by: DIY Painter ()
Date: July 31, 2012 02:58PM

Warhawk, not that I'm coming to the defense of so-called single coat paints because they are as you said bullshit but...my interpretation of their advertising is that their single-coat formulas provide better coverage in one coat then the other guy's double-or-more coat formulas do in a single coat. And that still doesn't justify buying them.

I have two Wagner power painters...one for primer and one for paint. I'm done with my first wall before the single-coat job guy has poured his paint. Admittedly $130 X 2 is a lot to invest in equipment I've only used 5 or 6 times but, it's the quickest, cleanest way to paint.

As for non-VOC-free paint brands I like Behr. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive...just the best. Generally, one should avoid paint brands with designer names in them i.e. Disney, Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren and so on. Chances are you can find the same color in Behr or another premium quality brand for less.

As for VOC Free paints, I prefer them. I like the brand that Home Depot sells. It goes on and dries to the same level of finish that Behr and other premium brands do. I don't recall the name but it's some kind of hipster-fru-fru name. My wife and kids all have asthma so, if I don't paint with VOC Free they have to be out of the house until the fumes are all gone.

The drawbacks of VOC Free paints are as follows:
1) You can only buy in a gallon size so, you are either overbuying if you are painting a small space or you are underbuying and not getting a quantity discount for volume if you are painting a large space.

2) VOC Free paints are 20-50% more expensive per gallon than non-VOC Free paints.

3) Because of their cost and how they are sold, since you can't buy a pint sized tester or smaller, you have to rely on your ability to utilize swatch cards to decide on which color you want. Either that or you have to be willing to buy several gallons in several colors in order to have testers. This could make an already expensive job cost even more. The deal my wife and I have to avoid this problem is that I let her pick the paint with the understanding that there will be no testers and I apply it. I could care less what color the walls are so, this works for us.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.