HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
LinkedIn - how does it know?
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 08, 2011 03:34PM

How the fuck does Linkedin know that I know people? I'm sure that A few people come from some sort of email sniffer, but there are names of people that I haven't dealt with in YEARS, much less more than one time. And a few of them are friends of friends that I've never talked to, but I know their names.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LinkedIn - how does it know?
Posted by: Linked ()
Date: July 08, 2011 04:05PM

Linked In...get it?

Linked...

You put down you worked for ABC Company. Now all those ABC Company folks who did the same start showing up for you ("Do you know..."). You know Johnny and link to him. Johnny knows Pete and links to him. Now Pete gets another job and YOU get an update ("Hey! I heard that guy's name before!"). You mention you went to University of X. Some other guy is from University of X. You get a Heads Up.

Posted by: Some Virus ()
Date: July 08, 2011 09:31PM

Some virus hit my computer about 5 weeks ago and sent invitations to members of my Comcast Web e-mail address to join Linked In on my behalf. I wonder who Linked In hired to pull that crap off??

Also, I have another story of irony with Linked In. When I turned in my resignation about a month ago, I was kind of baffled that my boss wasn't all that surprised. Well ... duh, I guess it's the fact that I put some future career information in my profile and Linked In shared it out with my other "links" - one of which was my manager. I guess it was known for about 3 days that my resignation was forthcoming.

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:56PM

yeah, my Linked In account says that I know all these established anesthesiologists, most of whom I've never even heard of. I'm only in my second year of pre-med studying anesthesiology, I don't know how I got attached to all these doctors I don't know.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.