HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
stop buying shit for fake discounts at borders wait damnit
Posted by: frustratedshopper ()
Date: March 05, 2011 05:29PM

Why are people clearing the shelves at borders buying things for more than amazon.com

I want to make people bring in their phones and look up what they are buying on amazon.

Wait for the 80 percent discounts not the fake 25 percent of list price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stop buying shit for fake discounts at borders wait damnit
Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: March 05, 2011 05:50PM

When the Borders on 14th Street in DC closed (the location of the new Clyde's restaurant), I don't remember the discounts on books getting any higher than 60%. The cards and crap would probably go to 80% or 90%, though.

Posted by: Consumer ()
Date: March 05, 2011 10:00PM

Maybe some people see a book, and they don't want to wait a few days to get it from Amazon.

I don't think you'll be seeing deep discounts in a book store though. They can always send their merchandise somewhere else and probably get em sold. For example, those magazines that don't get sold from the stands can be sent back for full credit.

It's a book. Unless it's a new arrival, it's not going to go obselete or deteriorate over time. There are many people who refuse to buy online, regardless of the price. Buying from Borders saves them money in comparison to Barnes and Noble.

I try to buy stuff B&M when I can. You wanna live in a world where you have to buy everything but groceries online cuz no one buys anything locally?

Posted by: Gunzen ()
Date: March 05, 2011 11:10PM

People are retarded. Everything is marked up 25% at Boarders. Now all these clueless sheep think they are getting a deal when in reality they are paying standard retail.

Posted by: kkts ()
Date: March 05, 2011 11:48PM

Is the Border's in Fairfax closing?

Posted by: cheapo ()
Date: March 05, 2011 11:52PM

some context please. are any local borders closing?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:30AM

The only store in Fairfax County that's closing is the one in Vienna across from Tysons.

Posted by: Wally Pip ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:34AM

Tysons Corner Borders is definitely closing. Have purchased overpriced items at their closing sale but I had some Borders Bucks and a discount Borders Plus Card. So it was worth it too me.
The Fairfax City Borders is staying open for now. Was in Springfield area today and the Springfield Borders is also staying open. In fact, it was quite busy. Imo, Barnes & Noble prices have always been consistently higher than Borders. Especially when Borders was providing discount coupons thru e-mail. That unfortunately seems to have stopped for most part with the bankruptcy.
Yeah you might be able to find most of stuff cheaper on Amazon et al but then you'd probably miss out on finding new stuff that might interest you on Amazon versus going to a store.

Posted by: rickafterburner ()
Date: March 06, 2011 06:41AM

As long as you watch out for the big yellow signs. When they show up, there's a liquidation company running the store and the deals are really bad. It's the same yellow signs advertising going out of business; I remember when they showed up at Circuit City.

The Amazon app is great; you can scan a barcode and it will show you the price. Helps you know what deal you're getting.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 06:42AM by rickafterburner.

Posted by: frustratedshopper ()
Date: March 06, 2011 07:48AM

People who overpaid for the circuit city deal had an excuse because the smart phone online search apps were not as common as today. If you do no buy items online you are an idiot. We save a ton of money buying a lot of household items from amazon and if you are so impatient and can't wait for the item you can get the prime service and just buy a lot of stuff online that you would in the store. In an ideal world eveything should be bought online think of convienence and saving without the overhead of a useless physical store. What do you gain from buying b&m when was the last time you went to a bookstore and socialized, you are there to buy shit and get out. I have kids, work and consulting work on the weekends, my time is precious and I would rather spend it with my kids or family. Also the laws need to change so that consumers can buy directly from the manufactorer things like a car get rid of those scum bag middle men. People need to accept this change, its not like I am going to grow my own cows and apples.

Posted by: L8Shift ()
Date: March 06, 2011 08:39AM

I just bought a $15 wall calendar at Borders in DC for $1.00, can't beat that (tho, it is now March, I needed an extra one)

Date: March 06, 2011 01:53PM

Borders has always sucked. Dirty. Disorganized. Expensive. Good riddance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Juxtaposition ()
Date: March 06, 2011 05:25PM

yea no kidding. frikin stalker kiddie fail, prob kuz they suck so bad nobody wants to go even in there

Posted by: Papusas SUCK ()
Date: March 07, 2011 03:56PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Borders has always sucked. Dirty. Disorganized.
> Expensive. Good riddance.

You have obviously been going to the wrong Borders. Atleast Borders divides their fiction section by category, whereas Barnes and Noble does not.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.