HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Flood Insurance
Posted by: Soaked ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:47AM

Say if we had heavy rains here and we had flooding like they do in Aussie land is that covered by insurance. I can't but think that most people don't have the flood insurance option - we don't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flood Insurance
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:50AM

I'm sure you could just rely on government bailouts.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Date: January 05, 2011 08:13AM

FEMA is pushing flood insurance. I am sure you could buy it if you wanted to. It's not that expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Ricardo ()
Date: January 05, 2011 09:33AM

The Shop-Vac option is rather cheap and effective.

Posted by: rednex ()
Date: January 05, 2011 09:34AM

Hey yall im gonna go move to low land where it floods once every 5 years

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: January 05, 2011 09:40AM

Google is your friend...that being said flood insurance isn't required around these parts unless you're (I believe) at or below 15' of the 100 year flood plain for whatever creek or tributary you're adjacent to.

It isn't necessarily that cheap but it will provide some modicum of protection against water damage that regular home owner's insurance does not cover. Also, once you purchase it, there is a 30 day waiting period before it kicks in.

Posted by: NEGGER ()
Date: January 05, 2011 10:23AM

anon NEGGER named 'rednex' wrote :
-------------------------------------------------
> "Hey yall im gonna go move to low land
> where it floods once every 5 years."

YOU MEAN LIKE NEW ORLEANS ?

AND THEN ARE YOU GOING CLAIM THAT OUR PRESIDENT
DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR COLOR ?

Posted by: Info s good ()
Date: January 05, 2011 10:54AM

Insurers in the US do not provide flood insurance coverage due to the hazard of flood typically being confined to a few areas. As a result, it is an unacceptable risk due to the inability to spread the risk on a wide enough population to absorb the potential catastrophic nature of the hazard. In response to this, the federal government created the National Flood Insurance Program in 1968.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) found that 33 percent of U.S. heads of household still hold the false belief that flood damage is covered by a standard homeowners policy. FEMA states approximately 50% of low flood zone risk borrowers think they are ineligible and cannot buy flood insurance. Anyone can buy flood insurance as long as their community participates in the NFIP,even renters.

If you are eligible, you must purchase a separate flood insurance policy through an insurance company that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Flood insurance is available for residents of approximately 19,000 communities nationwide.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: January 05, 2011 11:07AM

Even if you are not in a flood zone, you still could face flooding problems. Unfortunately last time I checked the NFIP insurance programs weren't really designed to deal with the types of claims that we face.

I also know people who live further out who have the reverse problem, a requirement that they purchase flood insurance that they don't need. Usually this involves people who live on multi-acre lots that have flood plains in them, but the structure itself is sited well above the flood plain.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 05, 2011 11:26AM

A lot of people run into flood issues in the summer months when frontal boundaries stall out and sit over DC for two or three days at a time. During that period you might have 5 or 7 inches of rain - and given that there has likely been a lot of rain prior to that, the ground cannot handle it and your house takes it in. You also see it when the periodic tropical storm makes its way here.

What makes matters worse is that a lot of split level homes and colonial homes have partially submurged or fully submurged basements. Unless you've done proper water proofing (Dry lok, sealing, sump pump, etc.), and have GOOD drainage, at some point or another you're going to get bit.

Its up to you to decide the cost of the insurance versus the replacement cost of all the dry wall, all the furniture, flooring (carpet, tile, wood, etc.), and appliances that are trashed as a result of that flooding.

During Hanna back in '08 (I think) Oakton and Woodbridge got close to a foot of rain. Thats a LOT.

Posted by: They're screwed ()
Date: January 05, 2011 01:00PM

Accoroding to this article, which I googled by the way, it sounds like they are screwed. The Country has a $2 million dollar disaster relief fund. WTF.

"Last night Queensland Premier Bligh told ABC television’s “The 7.30 Report†that the floods were an “unprecedented tragedy†and reiterated government calls for the public to “dig deep†and donate as much as possible to flood relief funds. It is now commonplace for public donations by ordinary people to outdo the niggardly contributions by governments and major corporations.

While Bligh noted that some individuals or families may be eligible for hardship grants, she added the proviso that all applications would be means tested. Yesterday the ABC reported that hardship grants to replace food, clothing and medicine were available, totalling the paltry amount of $170 for individuals and up to $850 for families.

At the same time, the Insurance Council of Australia declared the entire state a disaster zone. Reports are already appearing in the media of distraught residents and small businesses being ineligible for insurance pay-outs, with many hundreds of people totally uninsured.

Many of the flood victims have been unable to afford insurance because premiums have doubled in the last year, in the wake of previous floods. Moreover, most insurance companies impose strict rules on home insurance, refusing to pay claims unless the floods were caused by rain falling in the immediate area of the home. Millions of dollars of agricultural crops are also not insured because current insurance only covers crop damage caused by fire and hail."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/dec2010/floo-d31.shtml

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.