HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Change to NFL Playoff Rules
Date: December 05, 2010 05:19PM

If any "Division Winner" has non-winning record of 8-8 or below, they should lose their position in the playoffs to a Wild Card team with a better record, IMO. What say you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change to NFL Playoff Rules
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 05, 2010 05:37PM

Concur. That 9-7 teams are denied a spot owing to some shitbird division that can't advance a team with a winning record is pretty shameful.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 05, 2010 05:46PM

Edit: I changed my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 04:44AM by Warhawk.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: December 05, 2010 08:28PM

Kinda makes sense, especially since the NFL reorganized into 8 divisions (up from 6). With only 3 opposing teams in a division, it's now possible (granted, not very likely) to win a division with a record of 3-13.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 05, 2010 10:16PM

Possible, but very, very unlikely. A 3-13 division winner means that each team in that division was 3-13.

I think though with 4 divisions, you have a significantly higher chance of a very well playing team not making the playoffs because the wildcard slots are reduced from 3 to 2. I'd have to go back to look at the past few years, but I'd bet that there has been at least one or two years where a wildcard slot team had a higher W/L record than a division winner did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 10:18PM by ITRADE.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: December 06, 2010 12:21AM

At the very least, I think the division winner w/ the worst record shouldn't be guaranteed a home game. Once the top 2 division winners clinch the first round bye, there's no additional incentive for division winners to keep playing well, because they get a home game no matter what. I think the top 3 division winners should keep the top 3 seeds (and home games), and the wild card teams should be seeded above the bottom division winner if they have a better record.

I'M A FIVE-STAR MAN!!

Posted by: Jeremy ()
Date: December 07, 2010 07:23PM

Several years? ago New England missed the playoffs despite having an 11-5 record.

Posted by: Browns fan ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:19PM

I think this shows a very large system flaw, at best seattle should have to travel due to losing record I mean why punish a good team just because they are in a good division? Overall though Id rather see seattle not go at all (and im from washington my whole life) for one reason....... This years seahawks are by no means campions but by putting them in the playoffs it makes them just a stroke or 2 of bad luck upon other teams away from a long shot win of the nfl championship. I cant see any way that adds up right! If by some miracle they make it all the way they should be given a * in the books just like if they were to break a homerun record while juicing! No plaoffs by default i say!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:27PM

I don't like it, but it's not Seattle's fault that their division sucks donkey ass and that they are the best of the worst. I don't think you can get all knee jerk and change the rules for something that happens pretty infrequently. Winning your division whether because you kick its ass or back into it has to mean something or what's the point.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:29PM

I thought Seattle was in at 8-8 like SD was a year or so ago, but 7 and NINE??
Ridiulous, but I hate the Giants.

NFL's version of the Electoral College.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:43PM

I'm okay with the way it is now. Some divisions are far more brutal than others, some teams peak later in the season and there are some teams with better records because they played more shitty teams (see Jaguars, Bucs, Jets) and lost when they played better teams.

Normally, teams that win the division have winning records. This year has been a fluke and we shouldn't get all worked up about it. A few years ago, the Pats record was 11-5 and they didn't make it to the playoffs and even Belichick agreed that you have to win your division if you want to have a shot at a playoff berth.

I say don't fuck with the rules. There's been enough of that ever since that prick Goodell took over.

Posted by: Brownsfan ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:05PM

The thing is depending on how bad this division gets then technically a 4-12 team (or maybe even 3-13?) could actually make the playoffs and win every game from there by luck or problems with other teams which would mean that a team can win the superbowl and still not be close to a winning record. Now if by some chance that happened can you honestly call said team the champion? Doubtful, everyone would be pissed, its dumb! It shouldnt be physically possible

Date: January 04, 2011 10:07PM

Like I originally said, I have no problem with a team being disqualified if it doesn't have a winning record. At the same time, Bill Cowher suggested the NFL go to an NBA/NHL-type system where Division records are a secondary consideration and half of the teams in each conference end up contending in the playoffs. Considering that system has pretty much made the NBA and NHL regular seasons irrelevant, I think it's a dumb idea to apply it to the NFL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 10:08PM by WashingTone-Locian.

Posted by: Browns fan ()
Date: January 04, 2011 10:24PM

I agree NBA/NHL style would be a fairly lame switch, extra wild card slot is about the best solution. Why should a horrible division get to send a below par team? It wouldnt take much change at all besides ensuring that only teams that earned a spot go! And home field for being below even just blows my mind,they were a crap team why award advantages to help them move up?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.