HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
When do you throw in the towel on older cars?
Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: October 05, 2010 12:43AM

Hey FFU crew-

Since we talk about a lot of stuff here LOL have a question:

When do you know it's time to throw in the towel on an older car?

I have a 1998 something imported with 150k on it and in the past 4 months I have spent $2,400 in repairs on a car that blue books at around 1900 (fair)-3,000 in mint condition (which my car is not, more or less fair). The money was spent on a clutch and brake/ rear wheel bearing work, new serpentine belt/tensioner/battery and new tires. The engine itself has had a compression test and is running fine for right now (had fresh plugs/wires/a few vaccum hoses done by me last night too, shop wanted to charge me $250 to change $40 worth of parts!) and of course the clutch is new....but now it needs front ball joints and wheel bearings too. :( The car does make that "whomp whomp whomp" steady noise when driving from the front end so I know it will need AT LEAST the bearings ASAP. Timing belt looks good (still see the words on it so it still looks newish to me).

Shops are estimating 4-700 (from pep boys to gas station right next to home) to do bearings and ball joints. Should I do it? I figure if i fix it now, with the transmission and engine checking out ok, I can get another year out of the car and it's kinda worth it (say 3k total/12 months= 250/mo which is a small car note anyways). Or just say screw it and go to the dealership and save up like 1500 ASAP.

I've been holding on to the car because frankly it was the first car I ever really LOVED to drive. I smile everytime I start it in the morning to go to work. I get compliments on it because it's kinda rare (the trim level I have) and it does have mild mods on it (air intake, chipped, lowered, exhaust, nicer than average rims, etc). Other than that I have not been alerted to any major problems- very minor rust spots on body (not frame, sheet metal and smaller than a quarter) which will buff right out! I figure if it's running 100% I can get another 2 years outta her :)

Wat do? I can afford a 300/mo car note, but frankly don't want to....I'm scared it will be like the last car I had (Chrysler, now I know to avoid altogether!)- I was paying $300/mo car note AND it had MAJOR engine problems the SECOND the extended warranty I purchased expired- It didn't even have 90k miles on it!!! I dumped a good 2k into the engine only to have the transmission go and ended up having to sell it as-is then pay another 2 years of a 4 year loan for a car I no longer owned. :(

EDIT: I have had the car all these years, it just sat with a broken clutch parked in my friends yard until the Chrysler died then I started driving it again. SO I know the oil was changed on time every time, etc etc).

ANY advice welcome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 12:48AM by whatzit tooya.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When do you throw in the towel on older cars?
Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: October 05, 2010 02:58AM

I buy older luxury cars, like BMWs, with 5 or 6 years on them, for around $20k (to keep from paying the full VA car tax) and try to get 10 years out of them. Since I have a family safety and peace of mind are big concerns. If I start to have doubts about driving distances at night and in bad weather then I think about getting another car. The are too many good name, high quality used cars out there to suffer with a car that might leave you stranded or worse.

I also do a lot of my own work on my car (brakes, oil changes, etc) to keep the costs down.

If you are a single guy then get a decent car because woman judge men by the car they drive.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 05, 2010 05:27AM

Nova_lifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I buy older luxury cars, like BMWs, with 5 or 6
> years on them, for around $20k (to keep from
> paying the full VA car tax) and try to get 10
> years out of them. Since I have a family safety
> and peace of mind are big concerns.

You have to buy a BMW to get peace of mind?

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:37AM

It's up to you: be cheap and drive the car until it dies because you dont have a car payment, or buy and finance a newer car and pay the monthly payment to have peace of mind when driving.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 05, 2010 08:01AM

If your repairs start adding and averaging up to what about you'd be paying per month for a new car, ditch the old one. Of course, the money you've spent so far could have been spent as part of the downpayment.

You're definitely at the tipping point though. Right now you're looking at an average of $250-300/mo over the course of 12 months from the date of your first repair. As far as you know, are these repairs the last ones you'll need for a long time (2+ years)? Or are their other things that will likely go bust? If you think you can go another couple of years without something major, stick with it. If not, I'd replace it.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: October 05, 2010 10:04AM

It's a matter of opportunity cost really. Warhawk kind of tipped it in the right direction for you.

You figure your repairs which will continue will average out to $250-300+ p/mo (taken in lump sums on a per repair basis) vs how much a new/used car will cost you on a p/mo basis. All things being equal when the former > new then tis time to buy.

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: October 06, 2010 11:08AM

The repairs all sound like routine maintence. If you start repairing engine transmission or the interior fall apart then I would get rid of it. Remember new car come with monthly payment more taxes and higher insurance cost.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: October 06, 2010 11:53AM

"Whomp whomp whomp" sound from the front end might
be warped brake rotors.

Does the steering wheel shake at high speeds?

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:27PM

I'd dump any car that is starting to need a lot of maintenance.

I'd buy a good Japanese car with 100k miles and you will probably get another 100k out of it without dumping a bunch of maintenance money into it. I'd stay away from BMW's. Those cars can be very expensive to maintain.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:42PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> "Whomp whomp whomp" sound from the front end might
>
> be warped brake rotors.
>
> Does the steering wheel shake at high speeds?
> .

Either that or your CV boot is shot and had leaked out the grease. Some shops might offer to repack the boot. Others will want to replace the entire axle.

Is the car front wheel drive?

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:49PM

I'd say do the work, but starting looking at new\used cars now. It's going to take some time find a true bargin. While you're looking start building up the down payment money and figuring out the finances.

Then you just have to wait for the next big breakdown and enjoy the foresight to be set for a new vehicle.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:18PM

One problem with used cars is that the finance rates are often quite high. Although you're looking at a max 5 year loan (6 years in some cases), you typically cannot get below 5 or 6 percent on a used vehicle - even if you have great credit.

New cars are often sold at 1.9% or 0.00% financing (if you time it right).

Posted by: Hokie Pokie ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:30PM

When you're paying at least half of what they're worth in a year

to maintain them.

Posted by: yepper.. ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:31PM

..plus you get the benefit of the full factory warranty.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 06, 2010 03:54PM

Hokie Pokie Wrote:
> When you're paying at least half of what they're
> worth in a year
>
> to maintain them.

This. If it gets to the point where you start saying to yourself "but I've already invested X amount $$$, what's a few more bucks?" it's time to let it go.

Posted by: mehh.. ()
Date: October 06, 2010 03:58PM

if you are making repairs that, broken down monthly, are costing you more than a new car note, get a different car. No one is telling you to get rid of your current car if it holds sentimental value, just dont rely on it as a daily driver you know?

then again, if you still have your stock parts i would reinstall those and sell off your "rims, exhaust etc" to get yourself a small down payment

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: October 06, 2010 04:01PM

I had a 12 year old Mercedes that I had to have repairs done on it. I often considered getting rid of it but I loved driving it, and it has nothing to with my impressing chicks. It would take a lot more than a cool car for me to impress a hot chick.

Eventually I got rid of it because rust started to develop on one of the doors, and once rust starts there's no way to really stop it. I doubt I'd have gotten rid of it except for the rust. I had about 170K miles on it.

Date: October 11, 2010 08:45PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> "Whomp whomp whomp" sound from the front end might
>
> be warped brake rotors.
>
> Does the steering wheel shake at high speeds?
> .

I do have rotors on my list for this weekend to rule that out, it did get new front calipers and pads in the past month though so we can rule those out. The existing rotors were just sanded.

Date: October 11, 2010 08:47PM

Jack Wrote:
> I'd dump any car that is starting to need a lot of
> maintenance.
>
> I'd buy a good Japanese car with 100k miles and
> you will probably get another 100k out of it
> without dumping a bunch of maintenance money into
> it. I'd stay away from BMW's. Those cars can be
> very expensive to maintain.

Sad thing is I own a honda as well. It is siting with a completely broken transmission while everything else on the car is new, down to the tires and a rebuilt vtec engine and I am considering the same question for it too. It is also paid for. It would cost another 1200 to repair with a newer transmission- put the money in that car, keep the current running one, ?

Date: October 11, 2010 08:48PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Troll@AOL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Whomp whomp whomp" sound from the front end
> might
> >
> > be warped brake rotors.
> >
> > Does the steering wheel shake at high speeds?
> > .
>
> Either that or your CV boot is shot and had leaked
> out the grease. Some shops might offer to repack
> the boot. Others will want to replace the entire
> axle.
>
> Is the car front wheel drive?

yes it is. I have had 3 different shops look at my suspention and all 3 said "ball joints and wheel bearings" so I am assuming the CV joints are ok. They do look quite new as they were replaced around 90k.

Date: October 11, 2010 08:50PM

More Complete Wrote:
> Hokie Pokie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When you're paying at least half of what
> they're
> > worth in a year
> >
> > to maintain them.
>
> This. If it gets to the point where you start
> saying to yourself "but I've already invested X
> amount $$$, what's a few more bucks?" it's time to
> let it go.

...but for the same $300 a month I will be driving a plain jane car. I am not plain. :) I see it like this too- by the time I'm done i will have rebuilt her from the ground up and at least I KNOW parts x, y, and z have been replaced at q miles. I buy a used car- who knows what the previous owner did (or didn't) do....point/counterpoint i know LOL.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.