HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Facts About America's Debt Crisis
Posted by: mcsmack ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:29PM

What an exciting way to spend 24 minutes of your Wednesday afternoon with Bob Corker. I think it is interesting the reception he got from members of the UAW. He voted against the bailout if you recall.

Republican Sen. Bob Corker got a surprise when he visited a G.M plant in Tenn. that was announcing plans to hire new workers. Some employees booed Corker, apparently still angry over his opposition to the auto industry bailout. (Sept. 21)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 01:32PM by mcsmack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Facts About America's Debt Crisis
Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:36PM

Could you give a synopsis, I don't have 24 minutes to spend watching this.

As I've stated in other posts - the debt crisis was very real. I believe if we had followed Republican lines of reasoning this country would be in a far worse position than it is now. The Democratic line that was employed was okay but it should have been much stronger. It did rescue this country but it did not jump start the economy in any real sense - hence this anemic "recovery" we're in now.

Debt reduction talk will not make the country grow especially when we're experiencing stagflation. The time for debt reduction is when times are robust and we can afford it.

Posted by: Lopter58 ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:59PM

Republicans have never been the working mans party. Corker should of expected the booing. Republican incumbents are going to have to do a lot of explaining in November.

The Democrats are already launching their November strategy of "Town Meetings" to show constituents that they are listening. The Republicans seem to be avoiding the "Town Meetings" because they are afraid of public outrage about Washington politics. Corker was testing the waters and it failed. Time to put money into fake TV ads with fake type sponsors like "The people's committee for American freedom."

The Republicans party needs start doing a Bush strategy and distancing it's candidates from Washington while still avoiding aligning with the Tea Party.

Face it, the Tea Party has a good "no more big Washington politics" issue going and the Republicans can't really fight that.

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:10PM

Lopter58 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Republicans have never been the working mans
> party. Corker should of expected the booing.

Logic in the post ends here.

> Republican incumbents are going to have to do a
> lot of explaining in November.

Have you been living in a cave over the summer?

> The Democrats are already launching their November
> strategy of "Town Meetings" to show constituents
> that they are listening.

Too little and almost too late. They might be able to save a few seats, but the damage is too big to overcome. Barring a major GOP scandal, the House is likely gone.

> The Republicans seem to
> be avoiding the "Town Meetings" because they are
> afraid of public outrage about Washington
> politics.

You mean Washington politics dominated by the Democrats? That public outrage?

> Corker was testing the waters and it
> failed. Time to put money into fake TV ads with
> fake type sponsors like "The people's committee
> for American freedom."

You do know that Corker is not up for re-election this year, right? Also, he won for the first time in the worst year ever for Republicans. I don't think he is too worried.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Where do you get your info?

Posted by: so obvious ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:52PM

capt. obvious = ken doll

Posted by: and... ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:53PM

pooh bear

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: September 22, 2010 03:21PM

so obvious Wrote:
> capt. obvious = ken doll

Not to mention the man on the grassy knoll, and the guy who moved Vince Foster's body. I am NOT, however, the one who planted explosives in the WTC, nor did I steal and hide Obama's real birth certificate!

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 22, 2010 05:10PM

What is Registered Voter's say on all this? Why hasn't he jumped on this thread like a rottweiler with a juicy steak?

Oh, the thread title said "Facts", not "Rants of an angry middle-aged man."

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: September 22, 2010 05:25PM

I actually agree with Capt Obvious - the Republican party isn't the party for the little man or really most middle-class people for that matter. They are pro-business interests, upper middle-class/rich people as well as slanted towards the Christian right in terms of social mores.

Lopter - I think a fairly wide swath of independents and progressives are quite disillusioned both with the Democrats and the Republicans. Democrats having town hall meetings solves nothing. We wanted strong action, change to status quo and we've had little to show for it with a two year Democratic majority.

Republican's don't necessarily have to answer to anything - they have been the party of "no" for two years....but they will have to start answering if they gain a majority in either Congress or the Senate. Being the party of no won't get them far if they don't start introducing meaningful counter-measures to bills that cross their way. Of course they could continue to obfuscate and blame Obama all along. The populace could buy it and out he'd go in 2012.

Though I think he's going to be a one-termer anyway given his track record of the last two years.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 22, 2010 06:07PM

eesh Wrote:
> What is Registered Voter's say on all this? Why
> hasn't he jumped on this thread like a rottweiler
> with a juicy steak?
>

mcsmack generally tends to fight his threads out just fine. I jump in occasionally, but I don't always have to post in threads - in particular if the conversation is over issues I know and understand just fine, and all I see are the usual boorish responses from folks like yourself. But hey, grats on taking up stalker duties along with your pal ShadowBrain.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.