HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon DSL Westell 327w modem problem?
Posted by: Ken Brockman ()
Date: August 09, 2005 02:45PM

Does anyone here have Verizon DSL?
Do you have the Westell 327w modem?
Do you have problems with it disconnecting or crashing and then restarting?

Does your's crash when you try to use a filesharing prog ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon DSL Westell 327w modem problem?
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 09, 2005 03:11PM

first thing, is your dsl device located in a nice open area? If it is flat, place it on it's kickstand and set it straight up. On this particular device it helps with airflow/overheating.

you do have wireless security turned on...I assume
you have looked at the router log to make sure the persons logged on are supposed to be....my point being that nobody is hogging the router so to speak...I have noticed that they can become hot and bothered when a lot of people are using it at once...plus your filesharing problem speaks to this, packet volume is much higher usuually when these programs are used and a shitty device may not be able to keep up.
you may also try resetting the device by unplugging it and using a paper clip to hold down the reset button on the back for15-30 seconds. The set it back up for dsl a step at a time.

this is verizon.. never discount any possibility.

Date: August 09, 2005 04:18PM

Yeah, I've had this problem for months, and I've always kept it upright on the stand even with a fan blowing on it, because I too thought the heat may be the problem, but it doesn't solve anything.

I keep the wireless option completely disabled since I only have 1 comp.
The connection stays up 90% of the time if I use the internet normally. I'll have maybe just one disconnect over a day.
It's just when I open up a file sharing program that it will almost immediately lock up, crash, reset, reconnect, stay connected for 30 seconds, and then lock up, crash, restart, reconnect again, and it keeps doing this for as long as I have the filesharing prog open. Each time it does it a popup will show on my computer saying "A network cable is unplugged"

As soon as I close the filesharing program, the modem will stop crashing.

I cringed when you told me to try unplugging and resetting. That's all the verizon support people seem to be able to suggest. They've sent me 3 replacement modems (all Westell 327w) and each time the problem still occurs exactly as it did before with the last modem. So it has to be some mechanism inside this modem model that is telling it to lockup/crash everytime an outside application tries to connect to my PC over the TCP socket.

Any verizon users here have a different modem?

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: August 09, 2005 04:48PM

I believe you can use ANY DSL modem with their service, as authentication is provided over pppoe by verizon. Verizon supplies another model that is also made by westell that has no router.

and as for my reset comment, if you had been clearer about your knowledge level and things you tried ahead of time, I wouldn't have bothered, so don't give me shit for trying to help you when you can't articulate.

Date: August 09, 2005 04:53PM

Not giving you shit. Just venting about verizons poor support.

Posted by: Gina ()
Date: August 20, 2005 11:37AM

Any idea where the User Log is on the Westell 327W.
I need to know WHO is/has logged on to my router, WHEN, and for how LONG.
The old LINKSYS router had a wonderful log telling me this,
which included MAC address and computer user name.
It is really important to make sure no one uses the router.
In these days, even WEP keys are not completely safe, and they can also get passed around.
Thanks

Gina

ps. I tried calling Verizon, they had no clue about such a log.
It should be standard feature.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 20, 2005 01:45PM

Gina,
im not going to hound too much but perhaps you should check the company site and find the users manual there. as for logs, i have not heard of a non-industrial router that keeps logs of wireless computers attached. you can see who is currently attached but not a log of it. in anycase, forget WEP, it's pointless not to mention a pain in the ass and windows loves to crap it's pants over it. if you want to secure your router, set it to only allow connections from specific MAC addresses. a MAC address is a ID that is embedded in your lan/wireless card. every card has a unique number. click around on the router config page and find that feature. nobody can get on except you. it is possible to hack but it's way less likely. there aren't any common tools some chump can download and use and if they manage it, WEP isnt going to stop them. dont bother with WEP. To prevent people from seeing your router, you can set it to not "broadcast [it's] SSID" which basically means it's name. if you have your computer set to always connect to the same router, you will not need it to broadcast it. so do everything in bold and you are set. seriously though, the only people you need to worry about using your network is your neighbors. chances are they would use it without knowing because windows just jumped on and chose it. past this, you should just get grenades and put up a sign in your yard that says "Use my network and DIE!"

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Harold Naon ()
Date: February 04, 2007 10:50PM

I use a macbook and a westell 327W someone gave me and I can't get to the router web interface by typing http://192.168.1.1/ in order to restrict the network to my mac adress. Could someone help please???

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 05, 2007 04:50AM

plug in your pc to the router and boot it up.

click start-run in windows
type cmd and hit enter
type ipconfig /all and hit enter
look for the listed gateway address, and use that. Those westells are total crap, btw. I have handled many of them.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 05, 2007 06:01PM

Or on a mac...

1. Open System Preferences
2. Open Network
3. In the Show drop-down menu, select your connection method (Built-in Ethernet, Wireless, etc)
4. The router's IP address should appear in the Router field (duh)

Posted by: help ()
Date: March 10, 2007 02:41PM

I have the 327w modem and I can't seem to connect with my buddies computers to play ages of empire II. We are trying to go ip to ip adress but they can't see me and I can't see them when i hit connect. Verizon has done nothing to help anyadvice would be great.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 12, 2007 01:07AM

It sounds to me like Verizon is blocking whatever protocol you are trying to use with your filesharing program. Hence the computer/modem is waiting for an ack (response back) and never getting one. See if your filesharing program will allow you to change the file transfer protocol.

You may also need to adjust your port filtering for that protocol. Another thing I would suggest is to make sure that you have the latest firmware version for the modem. Download the full firmware to your computer first, don't update it online. I think with most modems you just TFTP into them and transfer the new firmware file.

(And of course never broadcast your SSID's if your on a wireless.)

Posted by: Brain ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:11PM

this router is fucking shit!
you all are useless!!
the only way to help me is to bring me a large fucking shotgun and blow my head off!
FUCK!!
I PRESSED POST MESSAGE AND IT TOOK FOREVER I LOOKED OVER TO THE FAGGOTY ROUTER AND THE PIECE OF SHIT RESET
I LOVE VERIZON INTERNET SERVICE!!
I HATE THIS FUCKING WESTELL 327W BULLSHIT

Posted by: Brain ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:15PM

Dear Help,
http://192.168.1.1/
go there and click on enable an online game connection then do whatevs
ps: AOE II HAH!!!

Posted by: willy ()
Date: August 12, 2007 01:07PM

I have the same modem and it's not in use cause I'm not with verizon anymore.
Is it any way to use this modem for internet without verizon.I have a new
isp and can't seem to get it to work. THANKS

Modem connection problems
Posted by: Nick ()
Date: August 05, 2010 01:40AM

(modem crashes usually occur between 5:00P.M.-1:00A.M. Until modem is reset)

Reasons why modem could be broke:

-modem not on raised flat surface
-file sharing option on nicks computer is activated (dad voiced his doubts, saying that since nicks connection is slaves to the network it could not be related)
-could be a bad modem but it's likely a problem with the network itself

Different attempts at restarting the modem:

(Attempt)so far dad has come up with the only sure-fire way of successfully restarting the modem: hitting the reset button on the back with the tip of a pen. 
We will see if this solution can last.
(Effect) about five minutes after the pen restart, the Internet crashed. It seems like the Internet is crashing faster and faster.

(Attempt)after the Internet crashes, we restart the modem by turning off the power, taking out the power cord, waiting thirty seconds, putting the cable back in, and restarting the power.
(Effect)this method usually fixes the problems for a few hours but never for an entire day. It also doesn't have a good chance of working at all.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 05, 2010 06:20AM

Nick, please visit this page: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/questionsthree/122369.htm

though, i think this is more likely the place you should be: http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Troubleshooting/Top+Help+Issues/Top+Help+Issues.htm

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 06:22AM by Gravis.

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: August 05, 2010 06:38AM

get an older DSL modem made by Wind River that has the old Bell Atlantic logo. These were some of the first DSL modems that came out around 9/11. You can easily find them at local thrift stores. If that doesn't work you can always try one of these: http://www.consortiumofgenius.com/livejournal/acoustic_modem.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.