HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Financial crisis? No, it's just ants
Posted by: Progressive Guy ()
Date: July 02, 2010 08:26AM

I am someone who has lived in two homes that have foreclosed because of the economic conditions created by the Boosh "policies". Umemployment is above 10%, people are in bad shape and John Boner compares the crisis to an ant? Stupid nazi motherfucker.

Financial crisis? No, it's just ants

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, July 2, 2010

If John Boehner feels like renting a movie this holiday weekend, I suggest he steer clear of the 1954 sci-fi horror flick "Them!" In it, nuclear testing in the New Mexico desert creates a marauding colony of giant mutant ants.

That might be enough to afflict the House minority leader -- normally a study in Rat Pack cool -- with nightmares and cold sweats.

Boehner's jaw-dropping observation that President Obama's financial regulatory reform legislation is "killing an ant with a nuclear weapon" has gladdened the hearts of Democratic political operatives from coast to coast.

Obama got in his licks on Wednesday. "That's what he said -- he compared the financial crisis to an ant," the president told a Wisconsin crowd. "This is the same financial crisis that led to the loss of nearly 8 million jobs. The same crisis that cost people their homes, their life savings."

The Republican idea seems to be, Obama joked, that all the country needs is an "ant swatter."

Later that day, Fox News host Greta Van Susteren asked Boehner if he wanted "a do-over on that metaphor." But Boehner didn't really take her up on the offer. He made clear that, basically, he meant what he said.

"I wasn't talking about the financial crisis," he said, but rather about "fixing the problems on Wall Street." But that's a distinction without a difference, since it was the problems on Wall Street that caused the financial crisis, reckoned by most economists to be the worst since the Great Depression.

Then Boehner continued with more of the blind ideology and deliberate distortion that have characterized his party's approach to, well, just about everything these days. "My point is this," he said. "We could have fixed this problem, plugged the holes, brought more transparency to the system without a 2,300-page bill that puts the federal government in charge of our entire financial sector."

It's worth taking a moment to parse that sentence. The distortion comes at the end. No, the regulatory reform bill, which passed the House on Wednesday, doesn't put the government in charge of Wall Street. What it does, essentially, is redraw the parameters within which financial firms operate -- in an attempt to constrain some of the irresponsibility and excess that led to the crisis -- while also providing some consumer protections. Oh, and Boehner knows full well that making a big deal of the bill's page count is a canard. Because any new legislation modifies or supplants specific sections and subsections of existing laws, final bills have to be written not in English but in dense gobbledygook. Any substantial initiative proposed by Republicans -- if the party decided to do something, rather than just say no -- could also function well as a doorstop.

As for the ideology in Boehner's modified, limited clarification, look at that three-word phrase "plugged the holes." There you have the party's current philosophy in a nutshell: Just chew up a wad of gum, stick it into the crack where water is leaking and whistle contentedly as you stroll away.

When Obama called on Congress to address the shameful fact that 46 million Americans lacked health insurance, Republicans first opposed all reform and then grudgingly suggested a few incremental measures that would nibble at the problem from the margins. When decades of deregulation and laissez faire enabled Wall Street to take such insane risks -- with other people's money -- that the global financial system came within a whisper of collapse, the Republican response was to tinker rather than restructure. The party's slogan for November should be: "It's all good. Except for that Obama guy. And Nancy Pelosi."

That's the worldview that produced Rep. Joe Barton's assessment of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill: that BP, which admits responsibility for one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history, is somehow the aggrieved party because mean old Obama persuaded the company to set aside $20 billion to fulfill its legal obligations.

That's the philosophy that led Sharron Angle, who is trying to unseat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, to opine that the way to reduce unemployment is to cut unemployment benefits -- and to tell voters that if she's elected, trying to create jobs for Nevadans won't be part of her job description.

It's all good. But, at least after this week, I'm pretty sure that if actual giant mutant ants were to appear, they'd get the Republican Party's attention.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Financial crisis? No, it's just ants
Date: July 02, 2010 08:33AM

On the news a commentator says Boner has the reputation of hittingthe bars at 5pm. He was probably just drunk when he said it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 02, 2010 09:01AM

Progressive Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am someone who has lived in two homes that have
> foreclosed because of the economic conditions
> created by the Boosh "policies".

How? Please provide details on exactly what policies caused those foreclosures. Feel free to leave out the parts where the buyers got irresponsible loans, aided by subprime borrowing championed by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

I count myself among progressives but can't fucking stand it when others calling themselves "progressives" lie about history and their own circumstances. It makes me mad because progress cannot be made on a bed of lies. It's like trying to frame OJ when he was already guilty... you lose despite being on the side of truth.

Posted by: Progressive Guy ()
Date: July 02, 2010 09:14AM

The Bush policies were

Favoritng corporations over individiuals in tax policy

Spending us in to a defict with 2 wars that no one really wanted

Fostering an economic mood that caused a rush on homebuying by unrealistic buyers

Tax breaks for the wealthy

Not stopping the sale of derivatives or subprime lending when there was still time

IS that enough for you?????

I know Dodd made some mistakes with Countrywide and Frank is a gay man that the righties just live to hate, but you are scapegoating them. They are two members of congress, not the president. Why didn't Bush stop the banks from making these loans?

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 02, 2010 09:20AM

And again, the point Boehner was making is that we don't have to have a huge restructuring of the financial industry to fix the problem. The proposed bill goes above and beyond anything that would be required to "fix" what happened. Where is the reform of Fannie and Freddie? They are the two entities most responsible for how the home loans got out of hand (the underpinning of the crisis). There is nothing in the current bill to address their issues. In most of the other problems, a simple regulatory change (no stupid derivatives) and actual enforcement of existing regulations would fix the problem.

But hey, lets focus on a total NON-issue. You all ARE ants if this is how shallow you are in reacting to what actually CAUSED the crisis. Seriously? You all truly are the reason we are here - your blind following of some of the stupidest talking points I have ever seen. Do you all have brains?

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 09:21AM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 02, 2010 09:24AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> And again, the point Boehner was making is that we
> don't have to have a huge restructuring of the
> financial industry to fix the problem. The
> proposed bill goes above and beyond anything that
> would be required to "fix" what happened. Where is
> the reform of Fannie and Freddie? They are the two
> entities most responsible for how the home loans
> got out of hand (the underpinning of the crisis).
> There is nothing in the current bill to address
> their issues. In most of the other problems, a
> simple regulatory change (no stupid derivatives)
> and actual enforcement of existing regulations
> would fix the problem.
>
> But hey, lets focus on a total NON-issue. You all
> ARE ants if this is how shallow you are in
> reacting to what actually CAUSED the crisis.
> Seriously? You all truly are the reason we are
> here - your blind following of some of the
> stupidest talking points I have ever seen. Do you
> all have brains?

So let me get it straight...the bill went too far...but didnt go far enough to reform Fannie and Freddie! Well perhaps if we had two responsible political parties more could be done. But with one party just saying no all the time isnt what we need.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Date: July 02, 2010 09:27AM

And with one party only crafting bills that totally favor their special interests, that is not what we need either.

You fail yet again (R)V in grasping the fundamental problem and coming up with a fix. Your single, racist, hyper-partisan brain cell is incapable of anything beyond "duh what?"

You are such an idiot.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University
Attachments:
loony_sm.jpg

Date: July 02, 2010 09:31AM

you do what you gotta do..and I'll do what I gotta do ass wipe.

Date: July 02, 2010 09:32AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> you do what you gotta do..and I'll do what I gotta
> do ass wipe.

Ooh - you do that (R)V. Whatever it is you "gotta do".

LOL

Date: July 02, 2010 09:33AM

I will ass wipe..I will

Date: July 02, 2010 09:37AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I will ass wipe..I will

(R)V "winning" yet another point.

LOL.

Attachments:
ohno2.gif

Date: July 02, 2010 11:03AM

Progressive Guy Wrote:
> The Bush policies were
>
> Favoritng corporations over individiuals in tax
> policy

The "Bush tax cuts" were across the board. Had you been employed you would have remembered receiving tax rebate checks. And now next year as we face increasing taxes into a possible double-dip recession you are going to learn what that does. I understand you aren't sophisticated enough to understand that a 1% tax hike removes 3% from GDP which is why tax hikes should only be done under economic expansion, but we're all going to get an unfortunate lesson. Regardless, specifically how did these tax cuts lead or cause the two houses you lived in to go into foreclosure?

> Spending us in to a defict with 2 wars that no one
> really wanted

Then why did he get support from Democrats? Why are Demcocrats STILL funding these wars? I have asked myself this every day since Obama took office and we had the executive branch and the legislative branch locked up. That's ALL YOU NEED to affect policy. The guys writing the laws and the ones signing them are all on the same team. It is outrageous the opportunities wasted here. But despite deficit numbers, how did that specifically lead or cause the two houses you lived in to go into foreclosure?

> Fostering an economic mood that caused a rush on
> homebuying by unrealistic buyers

Oh my, you REALLY NEED to catch up on recent history while in line for public dole. Expansion of subprime lending was championed by Frank, Dodd and Schumer. But as responsible and smart as you think yourself, how did that specifically lead or cause the two houses you lived in to go into foreclosure?

> Tax breaks for the wealthy

See point #1, but how did that specifically lead or cause the two houses you lived in to go into foreclosure?

> Not stopping the sale of derivatives or subprime
> lending when there was still time

When? At what time? You have no clue what you are saying. How would subprime lending have been stopped by a Democrat-controlled legislative branch when expansion of subprime lending was a piece of the Democratic Party agenda? But plenty of people responsibly bought houses they could afford. Whatever the subprime policies, how did that specifically lead or cause the two houses you lived in to go into foreclosure?

> Why
> didn't Bush stop the banks from making these
> loans?

If you think in the United States a sitting president can call up a bank CEO and tell them to stop selling a product and they have to do it because he said so, you are way dumber than I already took you to be. You just have no understanding of how your country works. If you still have access to a television and watch news instead of cartoons you may have heard something about the financial reform bill. That was originated in Congress, that is how laws start their life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 11:04AM by pgens.

Posted by: Dane Bramage(1) ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:17PM

Progressive Guy Wrote:
> I am someone who has lived in two homes that have
> foreclosed because of the economic conditions
> created by the Boosh

Like some cheese to go with your whine?

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:19PM

My guess is this the OP is just a troll, but in case it isn't...

You have utterly failed to show how your inability to pay your own mortgage is related to Bush's economic policies. Did you lose your job and were therefore inable of paying your mortgage? What percentage of your monthly salary was taken up by your mortgage payment? What other bills did you have? Did you try to work with the lender to get more time? If you lost your job, what is your line of work and how long did it take to get another job? Did you get a part-time job somewhere or did you remain on unemployment.

Date: July 02, 2010 12:44PM

boredom Wrote:
> My guess is this the OP is just a troll, but in
> case it isn't...
>
> You have utterly failed to show how your inability
> to pay your own mortgage is related to Bush's
> economic policies.

I think it is pointless to point out the consequences of personal choices to someone who believes it is much easier to blame others for their troubles. I tried to do it in a roundabout way but now regret the time I took to write all that. I saved myself future trouble by adding him to the user block list.

But I get the impression Progressive Guy is a younger person, who lost spots in houses owned by others that were lost to foreclosure (family, landlord, etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 12:45PM by pgens.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:55PM

Progressive Guy Wrote:
> Spending us in to a defict with 2 wars that no one
> really wanted

To be fair, most Americans pretty much wanted one of them. And in fact the whole world stepped up for that one too.

Edit: And I mean for real none of this "Coalition of the Willing" shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 12:56PM by Johnny Walker.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 02, 2010 02:12PM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 10:40AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: July 02, 2010 02:27PM

If you loaned to people who couldn't pay you share as much blame. If you packaged and traded securities you knew to be weaker than they appeared on paper, you were dishonest and share some of the blame. If you voted to deregulate all this shit in the first place to try to turn our economy into the free-market invisible-hand magical utopia of endless, unstoppable profit-creation you share some of the blame.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 02, 2010 02:53PM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 10:40AM by WingNut.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.