HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
newegg-fake-core-i7-processors
Posted by: customer ()
Date: March 08, 2010 09:55AM

http://gizmodo.com/5488106/a-bizarre-story-newegg-fake-core-i7-processors-and-a-cease--desist-order

i usualy buy from newegg.. never had any problems with doa parts or anything. this is interesting

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newegg-fake-core-i7-processors
Date: March 08, 2010 10:07AM

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: March 08, 2010 10:11AM

I don't see how this reflects poorly on Newegg. It isn't like you would open products delivered to you from a supplier to verify that yes - a proper chip is inside the box. Newegg promptly dealt with the issue and is replacing the bad shipments. Seems like a supplier issue.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 08, 2010 11:25AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see how this reflects poorly on Newegg. It
> isn't like you would open products delivered to
> you from a supplier to verify that yes - a proper
> chip is inside the box. Newegg promptly dealt with
> the issue and is replacing the bad shipments.
> Seems like a supplier issue.

Since they are the retailer, yes they are held partially responsible.

Anyway, counterfeit electronic components are nothing new. There are a ton of shady distributors based in China that take the computer garbage sent there and make it resemble new parts. It's a real problem in DOD supply chains.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 08, 2010 12:13PM

buy AMD, the chinese never bother to counterfeit AMD chips.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: March 08, 2010 01:05PM

Gravis Wrote:
> buy AMD, the chinese never bother to counterfeit
> AMD chips.

Based on your love of linux, it is obvious you would say that ;)

I used to like AMD - until they bought ATI.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: March 08, 2010 02:11PM

Gravis Wrote:
> buy AMD, the chinese never bother to counterfeit
> AMD chips.

Fake AMD chips seized in Asia
By Zen Lee, CNET Asia
Monday, February 09, 2004 02:49 PM

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardware/0,39042972,39167657,00.htm

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 08, 2010 07:47PM

customer Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > buy AMD, the chinese never bother to
> counterfeit
> > AMD chips.
>
>
> Fake AMD chips seized in Asia
> By Zen Lee, CNET Asia
> Monday, February 09, 2004 02:49 PM
>
> http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardware/0,39042972,39167657,00.htm

those were from the Philippines, not china. :P

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: March 08, 2010 11:49PM

wut?

Date: March 09, 2010 09:36AM

Just a follow-up if anyone cares:

http://gizmodo.com/5488699/newegg-confirms-that-counterfeit-intel-core-i7-processors-were-shipped

There have been allegations that someone's been supplying online retailer Newegg with fake Intel Core i7 processors and then proceeding to threaten anyone who reports on the issue. Here's what Newegg has to say:

Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg's top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident.

Kudos to Newegg for handling the entire matter so well and apparently taking good care of the customers affected.

Posted by: wilson386 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:56AM

I got one of these last week. I actually put it on ebay for fun. Newegg hasn't done crap to take care of customers. After 15 emails and 4 phone calls they finally created an RMA and are expecting me to pay $10.00 to send it back. F- them

Date: March 12, 2010 01:01PM

Amazing - they finally created one? And yet, here under the customer service section they clearly have the RMA process well defined. Perhaps you just weren't explaining yourself well enough, or referencing back to the articles pointing out the issue with fake CPUs.

Returns(RMA)
What is Newegg’s return process
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6#xdetail617

Returning a Product to Newegg

We want you to be completely satisfied with your shopping experience at Newegg. When you need to return a product to us, please follow the easy steps listed below to make sure your return is handled promptly and efficiently.

The RMA Process – Four Easy Steps

1. Create an RMA for your item
  • Your product needs to be returned with an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number so we can identify it. You can create an RMA online,or request one from Customer Service.
Send the product to Newegg
  • Once your RMA is issued, you can print a UPS shipping label from our web site!
  • Box up the item you’re returning and send it to:
      • Newegg Returns
        ATTN: [Your RMA Number]
        9997 East Rose Hills Rd.
        Whittier, CA 90601-1701
  • If you choose not to use our UPS shipping label service, we recommend using a courier who provides package tracking and basic insurance coverage.
Your RMA is Received and Approved
  • You’ll receive an email once your shipment is received at our RMA facility.
  • You’ll receive another email once your package has been opened and your RMA has been reviewed & approved. It usually takes 2-5 business days from the time we receive your shipment to review and approve your RMA.
RMA Resolution
  • If you requested a Replacement, a new order will be generated once your RMA is approved. You’ll receive standard email updates for the replacement order, just as you would for a newly placed Newegg order.
  • If you requested a Refund, a credit memo will be generated once your RMA is approved. You can expect the refund amount to be credited to your original payment method 3-5 business days later. The turnaround time for Refunds often depends on your bank’s policies for making the funds available to you.
  • The overall turnaround time for a return is about 5-8 business days from the time we receive the shipment; (that is, 2-5 business days for RMA processing and 2-3 business days to expedite your refund or replacement).

Maybe you shouldn't be ordering products online if you can't protect yourself in case of a problem....

You Internet Qi is weak.

Oh yeah, ebay probably frowns on you posting items for sale "as a joke" especially they the item is known to be fraudulent. Hmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 01:01PM by Registered Voter.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.